Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Similar Contract Money Be Doled Out Incentive Based In A Re-Done Contract To Peyton Without Releasing Him?

chad72

FireJimCaldwell, I need those Peyton contract numbers. Where is that spreadsheet of yours? :)

I have a question - can similar contract money be doled out to Peyton changing signing bonuses to performance bonuses without releasing Peyton and not having as much of a cap hit?

Postpone the date of March 8 by 1 week to officially get into the NFL year 2012. Then re-do the contract to be heavily incentive based (like $5 mil. bonus if you play 14 out of 16 games, $5 mil. more if you get to the playoffs etc.)

Can that be done technically?

As far as I understand, if you give a player a one-year contract worth $10 million, but half of that is incentives, the cap hit is still $10 million. Then, if the player only hits $5 million of the value of the contract, you get a rebate in the following season. So if the salary cap is $120 million, you can spend up to $125 million.

So, as far as I understand, an incentive-laden contract doesn't improve your cap standing in the current season.