Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Finding Intriguing Ways to Create Pressure

krunk

I'm going to assume we'll see some of these same styles of pressures against Russell Wilson.  Almost all of them to me were designed to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket to run.   They forced him to run sideways instead of vertically.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm going to assume we'll see some of these same styles of pressures against Russell Wilson.  Almost all of them to me were designed to keep the QB from stepping up in the pocket to run.   They forced him to run sideways instead of vertically.

You don't have to get fancy against Wilson. His line is trash. Been running for his life for 3 seasons now. The real key will be not letting him dance around and escape the pocket. 

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

You don't have to get fancy against Wilson. His line is trash. Been running for his life for 3 seasons now. The real key will be not letting him dance around and escape the pocket. 

These pressures are not really fancy.  Just 4 and 5 man pressures with twists and stunts.  What we've done in these clips is something I think will be effective.  He's going to run most certainly so it's better to have him run sideways than straight ahead.

51 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Very nice. Also, worth the mention. But John Simon is a freaking monster. Great find for us! 

He always gave us trouble when he played...I was worried because he got little attention from offenses when they would double and focus on Watt, Mercilus, and Clowney that it was because he wasn't getting full attention and that would change with us...but he has shown his skills definitely translate. Great pick up so far....the defensive line has been more than respectable...if they can generate some more pressure that secondary should keep improving.

I just hope we keep a good mix. If we rely on those inside twists too much it can leave us very vulnerable to designed rollout plays. Especially when our edge rusher sometimes doesnt take a wide enough rushing lane outside to properly contain a quick QB.  Last thing we need is to let Wilson start running for big chunks of yardage. 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/29/16382248/film-room-colts-finding-ways-to-create-pressure

I like clip #3.  Henry Anderson just straight Bulldozes over that guard.

You know, Anderson's name is not showing up on the stat sheet often and they don't call his name a lot during the game but he is having a great season so far.  Teams don't have a lot of success running at him, he seems to diagnose the play instantly and he rarely gets moved off the line.  He is looking like what I expected after his rookie season... too bad last year was derailed because of injuries.

34 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I would rather us "squeeze" Wilson in the pocket.  Make him have to step up and see over his taller linemen.  If he gets outside the pocket, he will make things happen.  To me, that is when he is most "Danger-Russ".  We must keep contain on that pocket!

If the defense doesn't contain we are in big trouble which we will be if we don't put up atleast 30 points anyway.

7 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would rather us "squeeze" Wilson in the pocket.  Make him have to step up and see over his taller linemen.  If he gets outside the pocket, he will make things happen.  To me, that is when he is most "Danger-Russ".  We must keep contain on that pocket!

6 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If the defense doesn't contain we are in big trouble which we will be if we don't put up atleast 30 points anyway.

A short mobile QB?  Bring pressure up the middle with your tall guys, and hold contain on the outside with fast guys.  Forget the spy, just man up on every receiver with a safety over the top and try to maintain coverage until the pressure up the middle can force Wilson into a "coverage sack".

If Anderson and Hunt can effectively block running and passing lanes in the middle of the field from Wilson, then hopefully guys like Sheard, Simon, Butler, and Hairston can all be a collective "attacking-spy-cell" (AKA, put the "squeeze" on him) and have a big game in the Seattle backfield.   :thmup:

Of course, this is all predicated on stopping the run, but the Colts D has proven to be pretty good at that so far.  My main concern is Doug Baldwin and the "miracle" plays that Wilson always seems to pull off...