Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 3 vs Browns

Superman

giphy.gif

Welcome to the win column, Indy. And way to back up the talk, Mr. Hilton, aka The Ghost.

Box score

Snap counts

Offense, B-: 63 plays, 335 yards, 16 first downs (7 passing, 6 rushing, 3 penalty), 8/17 on third down, 3/4 red zone, 1 turnover, 31 points; BREAK UP THE COLTS!! oh wait, there's a second half...

QB: This was a good performance, nice and controlled, calm and composed, more evidence of that playmaking gene that helps him make things happen. He was almost perfect in the first half, I don't think he had any bad throws, he knew when to throw it away, and his pocket presence and escapability were on display multiple times. His ability to run with the ball is critical, and he's not the fastest open field guy, but he strides long and covers ground before you know what's happening. Accurate and on time, always seemed to find the open man. He also threw a pass that resulted in a 34 yard interference call, on his way to a 10/13, 214 yard performance, with one passing score and two rushing scores. Then they kind of took the ball away from him in the second half, and he went 4/11 for 45 yards the rest of the way. Most of his throws were on 2nd and long, 3rd and long, and he converted some, but the offense went into a funk, and I don't fault the QB at all. He was on point almost every snap. A-, I think he aced this one, the minus is me nitpicking for him holding the ball a couple times, but he basically did everything they asked him to

Backs / receivers / TEs: Hilton also passed the test -- this is what a star effort looks like, and he kind of made it look easy. They had no answer for him, and rookie Peppers made some big mistakes that led to big gains, but Hilton was basically the answer to every question. Moncrief bounced back with a solid game, not spectacular on paper, but he made big catches and showed the heart that was lacking last week. Doyle actually played well, IMO, aside from the drop and the fumble, and the fumble was a tough play that can happen to anyone. Daniels and Williams did a good job in auxiliary roles, and Bray had a nice catch also. The backs had basically no room to run; when they did, they pulled off a couple nice runs, but it was tough sledding all game. The run blocking was again sloppy, and the Browns sold out to stop the run almost the entire second half. B-, good response by the receivers, the backs had a tough game, and Doyle had probably the two worst plays of the game for the offense (he'd still be running if he caught the screen pass)

OL / blocking: The blocking was troubled all game long, in both phases. The Browns blitzed almost all game, and typical of a GW defense, they came from everywhere, and gave the blocking fits. There were some missed protections, which isn't surprising with a new QB and a new OL. I didn't think they got overpowered, just overwhelmed by varied rushes and pressures. The run blocking struggled to get a hat on a hat, they had some ineffective double teams and left defenders unblocked, and couldn't sustain blocks at other times. Turbin missed a protection once. I thought the backs, TEs and receivers did a good job blocking the edge, and even got some good downfield blocks (shout out Bray on Hilton's TD). AC had a good game, hopefully he's put the worst behind him. C-, the line also had 4 killer penalties, 3 unforced

Defense, C: 69 plays, 346 yards, 25 first downs (13 passing, 7 rushing, 5 penalty), 5/13 on third down, 4/5 red zone, 3 turnovers, 28 points; leaky pass defense, including containing the QB, still decent against the run

Defensive front: Some possessions were really good up front, and they mostly shut down the traditional rushing attack. It was only Duke's outside run that got out for 19. The real damage was from Kizer, who got out for 7, 8, 12 and 13 yards on 4 different carries. Some undisciplined edge play, with Sheard and others coming too far up field at times against a scrambler at QB; dangerous with Wilson on the schedule this week. I thought they mostly tackled well at all levels, including up front. The pressure was inconsistent, Simon's sack came unblocked, but he's motor city and had 3 other pressures. C+, have to contain better, especially this week

Pass defense: Better game this week, held their passing attack to just 5.1 yards/attempt, and took it away three times. Still too many 20+ yarders, and there was some loose coverage that helped them get back in the game. Two PIs, including one on third and nine by Butler. Hairston was really good, and Desir had a strong game for being a recent add. And then there's Melvin -- another nice game by him, and the diving catch he made on the second pick was outstanding. Both were bad throws, but credit him for completing the play and taking away two scoring opportunities. If he settles down at the point and does a better job of reading the top of the route and anticipating the ball, he'll cut down on penalties and maybe even make more plays on the ball. The ILBs weren't very good in coverage, either across the middle or ending plays in the flat. Hooker got a gift on the last play, but once again read the QB and put himself in the right place at the right time. C, coverage needs to tighten up, and get rid of the penalties; Kizer stressing us makes me nervous 

Special teams: Basically a perfect game kicking, Sanchez eliminated their returners, and got good distance, the only somewhat mistake was the touchback. Not much in the return game, Bray made one guy miss. AV hit his kick. The hands team did a good job securing the onside kicks -- Doyle's hands didn't go anywhere. A-

Coaching / play calling / game management:

Monachino mixed his coverages well again, with mixed results due to penalties and some good catches. The issue was they weren't well prepared to contain on the outside. Pass rush was kind of sporadic. I think the issues all around were with execution, not scheme, though preparation could have been better. C+

Really good gameplan offensively, got the QB into an early rhythm and really authorized him to make things happen; the QB draw was an example of putting the game in the QB's hands and letting him make plays, and even though the play didn't work as designed, Brissett made it happen by bouncing outside. The game got way to conservative in the second half, IMO, and they missed chances to get drives started well or get in third and manageable. I put that more on the head coach than the OC, and I get the conservative approach given the personnel, but there should have been a little more flexibility in the second half to get the offense moving. B

The only issue with game management was the ultra conservative offense in the second half, but that helped the Browns get back in the game. Bigger picture, they need to tighten up the run blocking, maybe simplify the scheme, and continue expanding the playbook for Brissett. C

Callin 'em out

Pass -- Hilton (with flying colors), Farley, Moncrief, Brissett (great first half), Chud

Fail -- OL, run game, Anderson

Push -- Pagano

INC -- Basham

Game ball: Rashaan Melvin. Taking away the ball near the end zone is a big deal, his two plays probably changed the complexion and outcome of the game.

Next up, at Seattle. This should be interesting. Our OL had three false starts at home, wonder how that's going to work in the toughest road environment in the league... Wilson is a magician, and Kizer -- an inaccurate and raw rookie -- just ran his blueprint with moderate success. Gonna have to be very disciplined on both sides of the ball.

GO COLTS!!!

Great breakdown!

That's funny you failed Anderson. I saw him getting pushed around and pushed off the ball all game long. 

Brissett get an A from me. He made things happen on his own when the WR's were covered up. 

Why does Vujnovich keeps stepping on everybody?? I wish we would've kept Schwenke. I've been a fan of Bond, but he missed quite a few assignments in the run game. 

Whoever called the 2nd half needs punched. Hard. The runs up the middle over and over and over was atrocious. 

The secondary didn't do a bad job. It helped Kizer was inaccurate as well. <- We should've had a spy on Kizer, like I hope we put one on Wilson when we play the Seahawks. Hairston gets an A. Melvin played great, but still needds to get his head turned around.  

TY did great until they put safety help on him. I'd like to see more Quan Bray. His block sprung TY for the long catch/run, and he made a great catch in traffic when he knew the hit was coming. 

31 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That was one of my complaints as well (along with the second half offense).  Could really be a problem this week..

First of all, nice breakdown @Superman!  I know that it's hard to use a spy unless you have a really solid D, but this week I think we have to go that route at least on 3rd down.

Last week (and maybe the week before) Green hardly played.  No one wants to see him back at CB but wouldn't putting him in for Bostic on passing downs make sense? 

Green has the speed to be the spy and he should be able to trail a TE or RB out of the backfield.  Bostic is a waste in coverage.

3 hours ago, KB said:

Why did Anderson end up in the fail column. He hasnt been who he was as a rookie but didnt see him in any other lart of the write up. Jw

He was in the Callin' em Out thread last week. I didn't mention him in the grades, but I didn't think he played well. IMO, he didn't step up to the challenge, so I put him in the fail group.

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Why does Vujnovich keeps stepping on everybody??

I forgot to mention that, it happened twice, but I think one was Bond.

This morning, Chud says they had Brissett narrow his stance. Hopefully that helps, without altering his drop too much... 

The O, first half, I give a B+, but in the second half I give them a D.  The D is mostly due to overly conservative game-planning, especially late, when again, like the week prior, I think the coaches made one particular key play gaffe ... this week the 1st down w/2:03 left, the previous week, the 3rd down on their last possession where they through a not high percentage pass, rather than ensuring the clock keeps running forcing the Cards to burn their last timeout.  (The complaint for this week and last being, the coaches continue to make critical single play decisions that go contrary to time management best call philosophy.)

I disagree with Superman in that I don't think Doyle had an okay game.  I saw two drops, not one, and of course that fumble.  Sure he may have done well on the blocking front, but that is to be expected.  The drops and fumble, though, those are mission critical gaffes that lead me to say he had a bad game.

I agree Moncrief had a much better game, but still, he is not being effectively utilized nearly as much as he should be, or he is simply not getting open like he should be.  Not sure which it is.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I forgot to mention that, it happened twice, but I think one was Bond.

This morning, Chud says they had Brissett narrow his stance. Hopefully that helps, without altering his drop too much... 

Agreed that I hope it helps. Not sure Brissett's stance is entirely the problem though. I remember Vuj tripped up Castanzo as well. 

20 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I disagree with Superman in that I don't think Doyle had an okay game.  I saw two drops, not one, and of course that fumble.  Sure he may have done well on the blocking front, but that is to be expected.  The drops and fumble, though, those are mission critical gaffes that lead me to say he had a bad game.

Did I forget a drop?

I'm empathetic on the fumble. He got hit pretty quickly, probably didn't have the ball put away just yet, and got stripped. Good play by the defense, I'm not sure what Doyle was supposed to do differently. Yes, it's a fumble, and we have to lash him for it, but I didn't think he did anything wrong.

In my mind, he had two (or three?) bad plays, out of 72. They were really impactful, but still, I'm not gonna kill him over that. Other than those two or three plays, he was typical Jack Doyle, IMO.