Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, RockThatBlue said:

Think Kentucky is NIT bound unless they make a run in the SEC tournament. The SEC is really really good this year. Wouldn't be surprised if an SEC team wins it all this year. The SEC will have 7-8 teams in the tournament.

Nice win to right the ship against Alabama. I think you find a way to beat Arkansas too. Honestly I see no way you don't make the tournament. No way the NCAA passes up on the ticket sales you guys will bring. Wouldn't be surprised they even give you guys an opening round in the East. Might be a 6 or 8 seed but your strength of schedule should land you in the tournament somewhere....and knowing the NCAA...probably match you up to play like UNC in the second round....just like they screwed UK and IU a couple years ago making them 4 and 5 seeds when they won their conferences and when they kept matching you guys up against Witchita St. the past couple years. But you'll be in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nice win to right the ship against Alabama. I think you find a way to beat Arkansas too. Honestly I see no way you don't make the tournament. No way the NCAA passes up on the ticket sales you guys will bring. Wouldn't be surprised they even give you guys an opening round in the East. Might be a 6 or 8 seed but your strength of schedule should land you in the tournament somewhere....and knowing the NCAA...probably match you up to play like UNC in the second round....just like they screwed UK and IU a couple years ago making them 4 and 5 seeds when they won their conferences and when they kept matching you guys up against Witchita St. the past couple years. But you'll be in.

Before the win last night ESPN had them at a 6

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Before the win last night ESPN had them at a 6

Sounds about right....seems they are a 5 now. Question is do they load up the bracket they are in. Mis-seeding is one thing...but they love to set up those story lines...wouldn't be surprised at all to see them in the same bracket as say NC in Nashville in a 3-6 matchup....or maybe Witchita St. as the 3. I think if they play well in their tournament they will be a 5 seed. Unless they win out I don't see them anything higher than a 4. But yeah....watch the matchups...that is what the NCAA always tries to do...create drama that way.

Going to be interesting to see what the NCAA does with all the info coming out of the FBI on all the players and schools affected by them opening up the books on these agents. We got Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, UL, MSU and lots others involved. Pretty much the who's who of college basketball. A long way to finding out how much the schools are involved but certainly a lot of ineligible players have played that is for certain. That story is going to get bigger and bigger as it moves along.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Going to be interesting to see what the NCAA does with all the info coming out of the FBI on all the players and schools affected by them opening up the books on these agents. We got Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK, UL, MSU and lots others involved. Pretty much the who's who of college basketball. A long way to finding out how much the schools are involved but certainly a lot of ineligible players have played that is for certain. That story is going to get bigger and bigger as it moves along.

You actually believe that those coaches would allow it

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Outside of the Sean Miller “pay off” most are very minor 

Uhh several aren’t minor...at minimum most would require teams to vacate games. Bam from UK took a loan for 40 some thousand....that’s not minor. Wendall Davis for Duke on the take. Miles Bridges mother Josh Jackson from Kansas the list goes on and on. No...that’s just the tip of the iceberg...even Witchita State. Miller and Patino on wire tap discussing money...might be the only head coaches dumb enough to get directly involved but I guarantee the assistants who do most of the recruiting ground work are going to start getting nervous and turning in people. NCAA investigators scare no one...fbi putting you in jail...scares everyone. 

On 3/1/2018 at 11:44 PM, MTC said:

I’m sorry to all my Hoosier friends on this forum. Rutgers just wanted it more and executed when it counted. 

Go RU!

As did Purdue!!! :rock:That was a pretty good game!

LETS GO BOILERS!!!!!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, GOZER said:

Just ended, 75-66 Michigan.

Oh well, what do you do? they better step it up for the tournament.

Sorry about the NDWBB loss.

Agreed....usually we have several Indiana teams to root for in the tournament but I think ND and IU will be out. Might just be PU and Butler. Purdue has me worried....really solid team in a down year but its close to midnight...and Purdue looks like they may be turning back into a pumpkin. I always have high hopes for them but they just don't seem to do well in these high pressure tournament situations. I hope they get a good draw and get past the sweet 16 this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed....usually we have several Indiana teams to root for in the tournament but I think ND and IU will be out. Might just be PU and Butler. Purdue has me worried....really solid team in a down year but its close to midnight...and Purdue looks like they may be turning back into a pumpkin. I always have high hopes for them but they just don't seem to do well in these high pressure tournament situations. I hope they get a good draw and get past the sweet 16 this year.

Evansville and Indiana State did not have successful season neither did “my” USI Screaming Eagles 

14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Evansville and Indiana State did not have successful season neither did “my” USI Screaming Eagles 

Yep....as much of a hot bed of great talent for HS basketball that Indiana is you would think our college teams would have fertile grounds to recruit and have some competitive teams but it seems now days our best kids get recruited out of state. Didn't used to be that way with Keady, Knight, and Digger...tougher competition now I guess.

• Like 1

In NY, there are reports that UConn has fired Kevin Ollie with cause. I wonder what he did. It is not often you hear the term "with cause" added in when a coach is fired. Stay tuned.

Update:

The inclusion of "with cause" sounded serious. What is being reported is that he was fired for improper workouts. That does not sound serious enough to fire someone "with cause". Yes, I get that it is against NCAA rules but that sounds pretty trivial. I think the overall record may have a lot more to do with his firing, the NCAA championship several years ago notwithstanding.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-ollie-fired-20180310-story,amp.html

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

In NY, there are reports that UConn has fired Kevin Ollie with cause. I wonder what he did. It is not often you hear the term "with cause" added in when a coach is fired. Stay tuned.

Update:

The inclusion of "with cause" sounded serious. What is being reported is that he was fired for improper workouts. That does not sound serious enough to fire someone "with cause". Yes, I get that it is against NCAA rules but that sounds pretty trivial. I think the overall record may have a lot more to do with his firing, the NCAA championship several years ago notwithstanding.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-ollie-fired-20180310-story,amp.html

They are recovering from the Calhoun scandals

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great stuff by Kentucky. I just got off the phone with my uncle who lives near Bowling Green, he has been a KY since the 70's, he is partying lmao. I wonder what seed they will get?

We got a 5 which is ridiculous, IMO. Tennessee got a 3 who we beat. Tourney seeding makes no sense sometimes...that said I'm excited. I think we have improved a lot. Love march madness.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, NFLfan said:

Update:

A lot of alum unhappy with him. Seems he spends too much time on the golf course and not enough time recruiting. They have lost a ton of players to transfers and now that they aren't even in the Big East and they still can't win games....it was a matter of time. I think he honestly thought the school name would recruit itself...but not being in the Big East playing against those NY and East coast power houses like Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall etc etc hurts the schools visability too. He got lazy is what was reported and turned off a lot of the alum that supported him to begin with. Considering he can't even land a top 100 recruit now...writing was on the wall....he won with Calhouns kids but once the honeymoon was over and he had to do the real work...he was doomed. It's been said he doesn't even recruit any of the kids himself...he wasn't even making visits just relying on assistants to do it all. Can't win kids over that way...not win Cal and company are having dinner with kids parents and have their girlfriends linked on twitter etc etc. It was the right move...you wait to long and you lose that luster off your institutions legacy...hard to get back....ask IU.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Purdue gets a 2 seed. Cal State Fullerton first, then the winner of Butler/Arkansas if they advance.

E4B47BF4-E944-407E-9403-48D996F72EF3.jpeg

Yeah...that's about as easy a first couple rounds as they could have asked for. Plenty of time to get healthy. If Texas Tech gets there the Sweet 16 should be a good game but considering some of the loaded draws others got....Boilers have as good a shot at the Elite 8 as they ever have had.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

We got a 5 which is ridiculous, IMO. Tennessee got a 3 who we beat. Tourney seeding makes no sense sometimes...that said I'm excited. I think we have improved a lot. Love march madness.

They have looked good this week..that said Tennessee was much better than you guys all year long. They beat you twice and that game today was down to the wire. You guys finished 4th in your conference....Tennessee finished tied for 1st. They also had a better non-conference win by beating Purdue who was basically a top 5 team. Nothing wrong with them being seeded ahead of you. They had better road splits and equal neutral site splits and better conference record. While I think you guys are hitting your stride at the right time the seeding was fine. It was where they sent you that sucks. Everyone I hear is ticked because nobody wants to go to Idaho....including Cal from his complaining. It's a tough draw to send you out west like that but seems there were some other loaded brackets too with Duke, Michigan St., and Kansas all together but it is what it is I guess. I just wouldn't complain about Tennessee getting a better seed. They earned it....they are a good team..just like you guys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

NCAA selection committee is garbage, Arizona st. and Syracuse made it in but ND didn't...

NCAA is corrupt.

My issue was Oklahoma St. was left out but Oklahoma made it in. OSU beat Kansas twice and Oklahoma twice and W Virginia....but that was it. They played no one in their non-conference. Honestly to me this was a year some teams like Mid Tennessee State and St. Mary's etc deserved to get in. ASU and Oklahoma I thought didn't deserve to be in the tournament. ND was a weird one....with Colson they were a tournament team....they just didn't have him for so long of the year. It's about putting butts in seats and making sponsors happy. Oklahoma will have people tune in to watch Trey Young...but ND has a great fan base that travels...they just didn't have enough time to come back to make it in.

All said and done I look for a lot of upsets...should be an exciting tournament since there is no one great team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

MSU is a 3 seed yet they were a top 5 team all year long this is the worst selecting I've ever seen the seeds make no sesne lol somehow have the same seed as Michigan and a worse seed than Purdue lmao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

A lot of alum unhappy with him. Seems he spends too much time on the golf course and not enough time recruiting. They have lost a ton of players to transfers and now that they aren't even in the Big East and they still can't win games....it was a matter of time. I think he honestly thought the school name would recruit itself...but not being in the Big East playing against those NY and East coast power houses like Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall etc etc hurts the schools visability too. He got lazy is what was reported and turned off a lot of the alum that supported him to begin with. Considering he can't even land a top 100 recruit now...writing was on the wall....he won with Calhouns kids but once the honeymoon was over and he had to do the real work...he was doomed. It's been said he doesn't even recruit any of the kids himself...he wasn't even making visits just relying on assistants to do it all. Can't win kids over that way...not win Cal and company are having dinner with kids parents and have their girlfriends linked on twitter etc etc. It was the right move...you wait to long and you lose that luster off your institutions legacy...hard to get back....ask IU.

I get that but this was the first time I had heard that a school fired someone "for cause" when the person was being fired for team's on the court performance. "For cause" implies that he did something illegal ala Dave Bliss at Baylor or even Pitino. I am not saying that he did do something improper. I was just wondering why the school announced that.

I read this morning that the school added the "for just cause" phrase so that they do not have to pay him the rest of his contract.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I get that but this was the first time I had heard that a school fired someone "for cause" when the person was being fired for team's on the court performance. "For cause" implies that he did something illegal ala Dave Bliss at Baylor or even Pitino. I am not saying that he did. I was just wondering why the school announced that. I read today that the school added the "for just cause" phrase so that they do not have to pay him the rest of his contract.

It was also to show the NCAA that they do not approve of his behavior to avoid any backlash

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I get that but this was the first time I had heard that a school fired someone "for cause" when the person was being fired for team's on the court performance. "For cause" implies that he did something illegal ala Dave Bliss at Baylor or even Pitino. I am not saying that he did do something improper. I was just wondering why the school announced that.

I read this morning that the school added the "for just cause" phrase so that they do not have to pay him the rest of his contract.

Yeah I don't know the details. They probably found enough evidence of something that they are going to try to get out of paying his contract. That said they will probably settle and he will get a majority of his money. I agree it seemed like a minor infraction compared to what is going on in college basketball and they decided lets try to use this as a way not to have to pay him. I doubt the school would win but if he just settles it to save on the lawyer fees and time etc....they may still come out ahead. That said he was going either way...they are just trying to save some money and save face with the board etc as to why they are paying him to leave. People at the top trying to get out of a deal they made with the coach that they now want to get rid of. Usually a firing this big means the AD maybe President goes too....they are trying to save their jobs.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don't know the details. They probably found enough evidence of something that they are going to try to get out of paying his contract. That said they will probably settle and he will get a majority of his money. I agree it seemed like a minor infraction compared to what is going on in college basketball and they decided lets try to use this as a way not to have to pay him. I doubt the school would win but if he just settles it to save on the lawyer fees and time etc....they may still come out ahead. That said he was going either way...they are just trying to save some money and save face with the board etc as to why they are paying him to leave. People at the top trying to get out of a deal they made with the coach that they now want to get rid of. Usually a firing this big means the AD maybe President goes too....they are trying to save their jobs.

They are also still recovering from the Calhoun scandals

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

They are also still recovering from the Calhoun scandals

Yeah its a mess up there. I'd imagine they need to clean the whole house of people. Maybe it is best to get someone with less connection to Calhoun as well. Fresh start. They have a successful legacy and clearly they have the resources and facilities. Like I said...sometimes its best not to wait when you start seeing red flags. Head it off early before more damage is done and try to bring someone in that will get things back on track before it gets too late and kids start forgetting what UConn basketball was about.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah its a mess up there. I'd imagine they need to clean the whole house of people. Maybe it is best to get someone with less connection to Calhoun as well. Fresh start. They have a successful legacy and clearly they have the resources and facilities. Like I said...sometimes its best not to wait when you start seeing red flags. Head it off early before more damage is done and try to bring someone in that will get things back on track before it gets too late and kids start forgetting what UConn basketball was about.

It must really sting having to produce opposite GA

56 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It must really sting having to produce opposite GA

Well from the quality they are putting on the floor last couple years...Gino's team probably would fair better than Ollie's squads. I mean its been like the Ark there...two by two highly touted recruits leaving and being replaced with well less then steller athletes...at least for a high D1 school.