Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

Michigan looking good early. You have to run Villanova off the 3pt line. Make them beat you with twos. Also they aren’t deep. Get their bigs in foul trouble. Wagner just looks awesome out there....very Krispos Potrzengis or Dirk like. Kid has game!

I used to follow many college basketball teams when I was younger. The one I followed most closely was the Temple Owls. Watching Brunson play for Villanova reminds me so much of his father Rick Brunson who played for Temple. The younger Brunson looks almost exactly like his dad.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. I saw "flipper" earlier and wondered what that was.

It auto corrected on my phone lol!  Brunson creates so much contact and when ever he wants he just throws his hands up and these college refs call a foul. He is super smart...but it’s still a cheap move. I can’t spell the kids name off the bench the Chinzo kid but he is on fire. When someone gets like that you can’t stop them because he can drive too. It’s why Villanova will probably win. They have so many guys that can kill you.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It auto corrected on my phone lol!  Brunson creates so much contact and when ever he wants he just throws his hands up and these college refs call a foul. He is super smart...but it’s still a cheap move. I can’t spell the kids name off the bench the Chinzo kid but he is on fire. When someone gets like that you can’t stop them because he can drive too. It’s why Villanova will probably win. They have so many guys that can kill you.

I like both teams. It is too bad one has to lose. I have been a big fan of Jay Wright since his coaching days at Hofstra. I hope he stays at Nova and has a long career there like Boeheim at Syracuse. 

But I really want Nova to win because of what the NCAA had done to the Big East. To think the Big East had UConn, Syracuse, BC, Miami, and Pitt, and they have all moved to the ACC. That is when I stopped following college basketball. But this tournament has brought me back. Hopefully they won't move Nova too. 

Big lead now for Nova.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hard to beat two overtime games in the semis and a last second shot to win both games....it was epic. Just hope for one of those finishes tonight.

I did not watch most of the Women's basketball but I was rooting for ND the last two games. I did not want UConn to win again.

My older sister has a friend who played basketball for Notre Dame. She graduated in '88. She is very successful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I like both teams. It is too bad one has to lose. I have been a big fan of Jay Wright since his coaching days at Hofstra. I hope he stays at Nova and has a long career there like Boeheim at Syracuse. 

But I really want Nova to win because of what the NCAA had done to the Big East. To think the Big East had UConn, Syracuse, BC, Miami, and Pitt, and they have all moved to the ACC. That is when I stopped following college basketball. But this tournament has brought me back. Hopefully they won't move Nova too. 

Big lead now for Nova.

Well you can blame their own greed for the moves. What was the NCAA suppose to do? They can’t stop them. I agree it was a great basketball league and they ruined it because of football. I do hate the teams moving. Maryland doesn’t belong in the big ten neither does Nebraska...it’s a shame. I had Nova winning it all...they hit some tough tough 3s there at the end of the half. Unguardable really....Michigan just doesn’t have enough fire power. They need to make a quick run to get this close because if it balloons to 15-20 like Kansas...it’s over. Plus nova shoots free throws so well. Nova has benefited from those changes in the league though....while Syracuse and UConn and area teams like Maryland and others that have moved and left have given them all the room to recruit the best of the east coast N.Y. area players and they will be a force for a long time. Can’t see Jay leaving unless it’s NBA.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well you can blame their own greed for the moves. What was the NCAA suppose to do? They can’t stop them. I agree it was a great basketball league and they ruined it because of football. I do hate the teams moving. Maryland doesn’t belong in the big ten neither does Nebraska...it’s a shame. I had Nova winning it all...they hit some tough tough 3s there at the end of the half. Unguardable really....Michigan just doesn’t have enough fire power. They need to make a quick run to get this close because if it balloons to 15-20 like Kansas...it’s over. Plus nova shoots free throws so well. Nova has benefited from those changes in the league though....while Syracuse and UConn and area teams like Maryland and others that have moved and left have given them all the room to recruit the best of the east coast N.Y. area players and they will be a force for a long time. Can’t see Jay leaving unless it’s NBA.

I can't believe that Wright has been at Villanova 17 years. It does not seem that long.

The Big East ruined the conference because of football? I can't think of what teams are in the Big East in NCAA football now. I dont believe they had to break up the Conferences. Look, ND was an independent in football but in the Big East (now in ACC too) in basketball. So, a school does not necessarily have to play all sports in one conference. 

Look at how many times Louisville moved. They were in Conference USA when Crum was there. Then moved to the Big East then to the ACC. How large does the ACC have to be!

Donte DeVincenzo is the guy you were referring to earlier?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I can't believe that Wright has been at Villanova 17 years. It does not seem that long.

The Big East ruined the conference because of football? I can't think of what teams are in the Big East in NCAA football now. I dont believe they had to break up the Conferences. Look, ND was an independent in football but in the Big East (now in ACC too) in basketball. So, a school does not necessarily have to play all sports in one conference. 

Look at how many times Louisville moved. They were in Conference USA when Crum was there. Then moved to the Big East then to the ACC. How large does the ACC have to be!

Donte DeVincenzo is the guy you were referring to earlier?

No the big east was ruined over football. The presidents and boards of those teams moved because they wanted their football teams to be in a power 5 and ruined a wonderful basketball league. Probably didn’t word that right...but the schools ruined the league not the other way around.

Michigan was inept to stop that on slaught. They were the best team in the nation all year...that doesn’t always happen. Michigan just couldn’t hit threes to keep them in it. Once it got double digits it was over. Congrats to Nova!

Donte DeVincenzo..kid after the game was like...maybe I'll start next year....what the heck!! Is Jay Wright brain washing these kids? Any UK kid ever have a game like that they would be announcing the will be going into the draft. This kid is just thinking maybe I can break into the starting line up next year. He is building quite the powerhouse there. Lots of local kids....and almost all red shirted and are sticking around. I hope Archie can build something like that here at home. I would love to be a Nova fan because at least they get to know the kids and watch them grow into outstanding players.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 5:03 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When people define overrated it depends on one's definition. Were the Colts overrated from 2003-2009 when they went 89-23 but only won 1 SB, we did go to 2 SB's and 3 Final 4's in that time frame? Many think so but to me winning 1 SB had a lot to do with losing to the Pats in 2003 and 2004. They were just the better team both years. In 2009 we just played a Bad game vs the Saints but in a 1 game situation that happens sometimes like the Pats laying an egg twice vs the Giants.

I feel like professional sports are a tad bit different.  They earn there seed based on there record not based on a committee.  The Colts made 2 superbowls and won 1 in that time frame(6 years) so I wouldn't consider them to be overrated.  Kansas has made 1 championship game and won one in 15 years.  There hyped to win every year and pretty much get a #1 seed on a yearly  basis.  They had 7 losses this year, first time ever a #1 seed had that many losses.  Teams like Duke, UNC, Florida etc they've won more titles.  They've gotten there more etc.  To be a #1 seed year in and year out and to be a favorite(arguably for 15 years) and to have 3 final 4's and one title isn't all that impressive.  Maybe instead of overrated, I can use the term not impressive in the tournament?  Or doesn't exceed expectations in the tournament?  I know a lot of schools would take 3 final 4 appearances in 15 years and 1 title, I am not arguing that.  It just seems like there picked to win by multiple ppl and given a high seed on a year to year basis and they always seem to lose.  The Big 12 in general really, other than this year. WVU, Texas Tech and Kansas all advanced pretty far.  If you look at previous final 4's and title games, they always seem to have the Big East, Big Ten or ACC involved.  Sometimes the SEC.  Just my point of view. I already bet a friend Kansas would be a #1 seed next year and manage to not make the final 4, he took that bet so we'll see.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Donte DeVincenzo..kid after the game was like...maybe I'll start next year....what the heck!! Is Jay Wright brain washing these kids? Any UK kid ever have a game like that they would be announcing the will be going into the draft. This kid is just thinking maybe I can break into the starting line up next year. He is building quite the powerhouse there. Lots of local kids....and almost all red shirted and are sticking around. I hope Archie can build something like that here at home. I would love to be a Nova fan because at least they get to know the kids and watch them grow into outstanding players.

DeVincenzo and the other guy Matt Kennedy at guard could not handle the pressure that West Virginia brought. West Virginia was one heck of a team that gave Villanova all it could handle with their nickname Press Virginia. A good coach like Coach K or Roy Williams would have instilled that pressure D on the guards of Villanova. I am surprised Jim Beilein did not attempt more of that. His defenders just did not have the length that Bob Huggins and West Virginia had. West Virginia would have gone further with a better bracket, IMO.

So, if you look at the body of work, he may have had a great one game but DeVincenzo and everyone not named Brunson need enough seasoning to go to the NBA, IMO. I am not surprised these things happen from time to time, the one trick ponies lighting it up in college basketball. I remember Mills and Shepherd of Tubby Smith Cardiac Cats raining 3s as well like this. DeVincenzo is actually right on what he said, he deserves to be the starter.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

No the big east was ruined over football. 

ND is still an independent in football. Why did ND move to the ACC? There was no money to be made from football, as they had a TV contract and were not tied to any conference. They could have remained in the Big East foe the other sports.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

ND is still an independent in football. Why did ND move to the ACC? There was no money to be made from football, as they had a TV contract and were not tied to any conference. They could have remained in the Big East foe the other sports.

ND got a crap load of money to switch but mostly did it for the other sports since the Big East was hemorrhaging schools they wanted the strongest conference for their other sports. They do have an agreement to play 5 ACC teams every year until 2037 in football so they are almost all but agreed to be an ACC football team at some point. If they give up their independence it is in their contract they have to join the ACC. ACC get all the money from home games against ND being telivised on their network. I thought the Big East was the perfect fit but with the league not being able to ensure a football champ would get an automatic bid most schools left for ACC or other more prominent conferences and money.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

ND got a crap load of money to switch but mostly did it for the other sports since the Big East was hemorrhaging schools they wanted the strongest conference for their other sports. They do have an agreement to play 5 ACC teams every year until 2037 in football so they are almost all but agreed to be an ACC football team at some point. If they give up their independence it is in their contract they have to join the ACC. ACC get all the money from home games against ND being telivised on their network. I thought the Big East was the perfect fit but with the league not being able to ensure a football champ would get an automatic bid most schools left for ACC or other more prominent conferences and money.

Thanks. That is a very good explanation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

DeVincenzo and the other guy Matt Kennedy at guard could not handle the pressure that West Virginia brought. West Virginia was one heck of a team that gave Villanova all it could handle with their nickname Press Virginia. A good coach like Coach K or Roy Williams would have instilled that pressure D on the guards of Villanova. I am surprised Jim Beilein did not attempt more of that. His defenders just did not have the length that Bob Huggins and West Virginia had. West Virginia would have gone further with a better bracket, IMO.

So, if you look at the body of work, he may have had a great one game but DeVincenzo and everyone not named Brunson need enough seasoning to go to the NBA, IMO. I am not surprised these things happen from time to time, the one trick ponies lighting it up in college basketball. I remember Mills and Shepherd of Tubby Smith Cardiac Cats raining 3s as well like this. DeVincenzo is actually right on what he said, he deserves to be the starter.

Dante was mostly in foul trouble that game if I recall. Only played like 20 minutes. He was 3-4 from the floor with like 6 rebounds but no he was not getting many shots. He is a 6-5 g/sf so no he isn’t a great ball handler. He came off the bench all year as Villanova played really only 7-8 players all year but this kid has shown flashes all year from the 15 or so games I’ve watched. Really the only team that had Novas number was Butler...I never thought W Virginia bothered them too much (90pts doesn’t seem like they did other then speed them up). You want to beat them you either needed to get them in foul trouble because of their short bench or contest 3s and force one on one twos and then you need to nail your 3s like Butler did. Michigan shot awful...can’t beat them shooting like that. I don’t know who Matt Kennedy is...but Brunson is a first round lock and Bridges is a lottery pick. The Spellman kid that plays center and shoots threes is under classman but he is draftable for sure. Dante is a kid that plays lock down defense, 40 inch verticle, and is a lights out shooter. I think he is draftable himself and probably wont have any higher stock if he stays then he has now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The ACC will have a network in 2 years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think Grayson Allen. NBA drafts off potential. Allen would have been more highly drafted had he come out after his freshman or sophomore year before all the warts come out. Same Dante...strike while iron is hot...starting you can show more what you can do....but also what he can’t. I’d enter the draft without an agent and see what they say. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Dante was mostly in foul trouble that game if I recall. Only played like 20 minutes. He was 3-4 from the floor with like 6 rebounds but no he was not getting many shots. He is a 6-5 g/sf so no he isn’t a great ball handler. He came off the bench all year as Villanova played really only 7-8 players all year but this kid has shown flashes all year from the 15 or so games I’ve watched. Really the only team that had Novas number was Butler...I never thought W Virginia bothered them too much (90pts doesn’t seem like they did other then speed them up). You want to beat them you either needed to get them in foul trouble because of their short bench or contest 3s and force one on one twos and then you need to nail your 3s like Butler did. Michigan shot awful...can’t beat them shooting like that. I don’t know who Matt Kennedy is...but Brunson is a first round lock and Bridges is a lottery pick. The Spellman kid that plays center and shoots threes is under classman but he is draftable for sure. Dante is a kid that plays lock down defense, 40 inch verticle, and is a lights out shooter. I think he is draftable himself and probably wont have any higher stock if he stays then he has now.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the foul trouble to Dante. Yes, you are right - Brunson and Bridges are draft worthy. I still think Dante would be better off having another year in college, like Corey Brewer. I don't see the team success of Villanova being intact if Dante, Brunson and Bridges all leave. Jay Wright might try to pull off what Billy Donovan did at Florida.

That is where I think Calipari misses the mark, even the best freshmen class would need some sophomores and juniors to steady the ship when things go south and I think Kentucky missed that this year, IMO.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, chad72 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the foul trouble to Dante. Yes, you are right - Brunson and Bridges are draft worthy. I still think Dante would be better off having another year in college, like Corey Brewer. I don't see the team success of Villanova being intact if Dante, Brunson and Bridges all leave. Jay Wright might try to pull off what Billy Donovan did at Florida.

That is where I think Calipari misses the mark, even the best freshmen class would need some sophomores and juniors to steady the ship when things go south and I think Kentucky missed that this year, IMO.

Cal has another top class coming in. I think a lot of the big guys are coming back and I think Herro will be a good fit for this team. They should have another final four caliber team.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, dgambill said:

Cal has another top class coming in. I think a lot of the big guys are coming back and I think Herro will be a good fit for this team. They should have another final four caliber team.

I was stunned that Diallo is leaving for the NBA. No way he gets picked in the 1st. 

That said though, it is probably Cals best class in a few years. 2 5 star PGs is exciting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I was stunned that Diallo is leaving for the NBA. No way he gets picked in the 1st. 

That said though, it is probably Cals best class in a few years. 2 5 star PGs is exciting.

I don't think he can raise his draft stock any more than it probably already is. The kid is an elite athlete...I don't think he would get the shots to really improve his shooting next year...which is where he needs the work. He will be a slasher and a defensive specialist....eventually with enough work he will try and be one of those 3 and D type guys. There is only just so much you can do when you play on a loaded team. He probably should have went last year. Let's be honest...playing for UK (or just about any other university) now is about getting to the NBA for most of these kids. The name on the front doesn't matter, wins and losses don't matter a lot unless it helps get them attention. I remember talking to one AAU coach and made a comment about how bad the defense was being played in the game and he said most of the kids don't even know the score of the game..and just interested in highlighting themselves. I'm not saying that about all of them but when kids start worrying about the back of the jersey more than the front...well I'm not surprised in anything then. Most I remember felt that winning and the legacy on the front would ensure the name on the back will get remembered come draft time and life after. Coach Cal has so so many kids coming in....you almost have to be one and done or you get passed over. That's a tough way to run a program...but it just is the way it is. I would think recruiting and getting a base of 4 stars that will stay 3 or 4 years and supplementing them with say top 3 one and dones would be the perfect fit but at this point UK and Duke is almost in an arms race to replace their starting 5 every year....and I'm not sure you can win it all like that. I thought Duke would have a shot this year with a senior leading the way but that didn't happen either. Whether it's perception or reality at UK but if you don't go pro after your freshman year...you have failed...or you will get buried in the depth chart. I applaud those that want to compete at the highest level but having to learn your whole roster every year in and year out must be hard for a fan....and the memories fade quickly if they don't win it all. Long gone are the days watching a kid blossom from one year to the next and thinking of how good he is going to become for your team by junior or senior. Not hating on the kids too much...the dream of getting paid in the NBA is soo great...and they are just doing what the system is set up to do. System is what it is...but it isn't a student/athlete scenario...there is no student portion except for just staying eligible.

So I've lost track...who is all going and staying at this point? I figured there would be a transfer or two as well. I've asked a couple co-workers that are UK die hard fans but they don't even know (again a sign of a problem if I was to try to be a fan of a team). I like to keep up just so I can have an intelligent conversation.

29 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Oh...yeah...as for the PGs...I agree those are big gets. A true PG that can break down the defense...get the ball in position to score...that's the x factor in college basketball....they make all their teammates better. Two great ones on the same team....that's going to be tough to beat. Throw in a couple knock down shooters and a couple big men for those alley-ops and rebounding/shot blocking...you guys will be a top 5 team by the end of things. I'm just hoping IU can get the top players from Indiana year in and out again...much less the whole country. We do that supplemented with a couple guys outside the area we should be one of those teams that can be a top 10 team year in and out. Hopefully Romeo can kick start that again...been like 5 or 6 years since we even had our own MR. Basketball....that's how bad it got.