Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

But you could have a bad year or miss on someone and still survive but unless you are someone Calipari in today’s game you have a down you are working for ESPN, CBS, or Fox looking for a new home

I think basketball changes if the NBA eliminates the 1-and-done....allows drafted high schoolers to go pro (with 2-way G-league contracts) and requires you to be 21 to be drafted once you attend a college.  Much like baseball.

Sound workable?

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IU will not get back to prominence if they cannot keep the Indiana kids home for two reasons

Talent reasons and money reasons

the IUWBB made their comeback with a homegrown coach and “local” players

I agree it’s important to our fan base because we love watching teams we identify with. High school basketball is a cult following in Indiana so naturally we want to follow our players. I agree with that...I agree it’s important to our coach because it gives him credibility in the eyes of our fans. In the end winning is all that matters to Indiana fans. I think the best Indiana kids would help that and Archie does too...he said as much in his acceptance speech and his recruiting backs it up. On the court it doesn’t matter as much. Our national championship teams in 75-76...led by a pair of Ohio natives May and Buckner...81 led by Isiaih Thomas a Chicago native (although that team had a heavy Indiana flavor I admit). 87 led by Alford but look at the rest of that team...it was a pair of transfers in Smart and Garrett that played the biggest role in changing that team. Neither from Indiana. Ricky Calloway and the late Daryl Thomas who just passed away the other day not from Indiana either..and Thomas probably the most important player on that team. We’ve always had those recognizable Indiana kids but Knight didn’t get the best Indiana talent honestly. He couldn’t keep Bird he couldn’t land Glenn Robinson nor could we qualify Shawn Kemp and so many others I can’t list. It wasn’t until Knight struggled to win at that most elite level that people started to get upset about the lack of home grown talent. Winning is all that matters. I totally agree though if you can land the best of Indiana high school kids...you will be a very good team. Archie is going that...his recruiting has been extremely local heavy. It’s just there is so much more competition now with Butler, ND, Purdue all power houses in state it ain’t easy..but I think we have the right coach. He’s a heck of a recruiter and a hard nosed coach. I think kids will play for him...and he is working those high school coaches hard to earn their trust. I think Romeo comes to IU..and it’s the start of more kids staying close to home! If not he will have to win at an elite level...to justify not getting these kids. I think he can do both.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree it’s important to our fan base because we love watching teams we identify with. High school basketball is a cult following in Indiana so naturally we want to follow our players. I agree with that...I agree it’s important to our coach because it gives him credibility in the eyes of our fans. In the end winning is all that matters to Indiana fans. I think the best Indiana kids would help that and Archie does too...he said as much in his acceptance speech and his recruiting backs it up. On the court it doesn’t matter as much. Our national championship teams in 75-76...led by a pair of Ohio natives May and Buckner...81 led by Isiaih Thomas a Chicago native (although that team had a heavy Indiana flavor I admit). 87 led by Alford but look at the rest of that team...it was a pair of transfers in Smart and Garrett that played the biggest role in changing that team. Neither from Indiana. Ricky Calloway and the late Daryl Thomas who just passed away the other day not from Indiana either..and Thomas probably the most important player on that team. We’ve always had those recognizable Indiana kids but Knight didn’t get the best Indiana talent honestly. He couldn’t keep Bird he couldn’t land Glenn Robinson nor could we qualify Shawn Kemp and so many others I can’t list. It wasn’t until Knight struggled to win at that most elite level that people started to get upset about the lack of home grown talent. Winning is all that matters. I totally agree though if you can land the best of Indiana high school kids...you will be a very good team. Archie is going that...his recruiting has been extremely local heavy. It’s just there is so much more competition now with Butler, ND, Purdue all power houses in state it ain’t easy..but I think we have the right coach. He’s a heck of a recruiter and a hard nosed coach. I think kids will play for him...and he is working those high school coaches hard to earn their trust. I think Romeo comes to IU..and it’s the start of more kids staying close to home! If not he will have to win at an elite level...to justify not getting these kids. I think he can do both.

He also has the weight of his brother around his neck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He also has the weight of his brother around his neck

I hope he doesn’t have any of that in him...he is from the same area as Calipari and kinda cut from the same cloth. Archie used to recruit for Sean at Arizona many years ago and was great at it. Then he left and went to Dayton and built a really good program. I think Sean after Archie left got very sloppy and trusted the wrong people. Archie is his own man...but yes there is no ignoring the obvious elephant in the room with Sean. Indiana won’t accept that for sure...the whole self reporting on Sampson just for phone calls that now are acceptable prove they won’t go down that road. Next year is key though. Gotta get back to consistently being in the tournament and build back that legacy. I’m hopeful! 

Picked Villanova to win it all and it’s hard to see them losing right now. 5 shooters out there and they help so well on defense. That’s a vet team loaded with talent. Michigan will have to hit threes at an epic rate to keep up.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope he doesn’t have any of that in him...he is from the same area as Calipari and kinda cut from the same cloth. Archie used to recruit for Sean at Arizona many years ago and was great at it. Then he left and went to Dayton and built a really good program. I think Sean after Archie left got very sloppy and trusted the wrong people. Archie is his own man...but yes there is no ignoring the obvious elephant in the room with Sean. Indiana won’t accept that for sure...the whole self reporting on Sampson just for phone calls that now are acceptable prove they won’t go down that road. Next year is key though. Gotta get back to consistently being in the tournament and build back that legacy. I’m hopeful! 

Archie has an Big Mountain to climb since Knight and others destroyed the reputation of IU

They have to move the 3pt line back...it’s getting ridiculous anymore. Put it at international or NBA length. 

Oh and carrying the ball makes it almost impossible to guard anyone one on one anymore. It’s why I can barely stand to watch nba basketball...college is almost getting as bad. I think I’m officially old today....I’m starting to sound like my dad lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Archie has an Big Mountain to climb since Knight and others destroyed the reputation of IU

Agree to disagree. The Knight ending should have been handled better but he put the university flag at the top of that mountain. Davis is a nice guy but should never had been given the keys permanently. Sampson was the start of the fall...Crean drug it out...Archie fits IU I think. He was a scrappy smart guard and I like his pack line defense and I do think he will focus on local talent unlike Crean who outside of Zeller and Yogi couldn’t keep kids at home but most importantly I don’t think he wanted to recruit Indiana and make those inroads with he high schools like Archie is trying to do. I’m in agreement...it’s important to create that sentiment in young kids to play for their state university. It is a big mountain but he has the facilities and a rich and ravenous fan base to build with...established by Knight....it wasn’t broken when he left even if it wasn’t the same since probably 92-93...when you have a blue blood you can bounce back fast. UK did quickly even after a couple lackluster hires..it can happen here...we have all the tools...just waiting on the right guy to make it happen. Why not now?

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Miss State 30-17 at the half........ND needs a minor miracle here

ND scored 3 freakin points in that whole Qtr. They beat UCONN and now laying an egg. I give it a Boooooooo. You have to finish, nobody remembers 2nd place.  Had the Cubs lost to the Indians it would've been a fail like the Dodgers losing. Luckily the Cubs won.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ND scored 3 freakin points in that whole Qtr. They beat UCONN and now laying an egg. I give it a Boooooooo. You have to finish, nobody remembers 2nd place.  Had the Cubs lost to the Indians it would've been a fail like the Dodgers losing. Luckily the Cubs won.

CBE..its the full court pressure....Jackie Young got 2 fouls and theres no other ballhandler to go to..

....She'll start the second half and maybe they can get some shots....but the big cent for MSU is taking away anything inside.

They need to draw some fouls on her and have her sit down

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

CBE..its the full court pressure....Jackie Young got 2 fouls and theres no other ballhandler to go to..

....She'll start the second half and maybe they can get some shots....but the big cent for MSU is taking away anything inside.

They need to draw some fouls on her and have her sit down

That Center they have is controlling the whole game. Didn't she have 25 Rebounds last game? Is that Wilt's Daughter??

• Haha 1

ND doing a better hjobh of going to the basket..

..but the layups that were there against UConn are being contested...

..ND has to keep going to the basket and lives with the calls..nobody else to bring in...they only have 6 players

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

ND doing a better hjobh of going to the basket..

..but the layups that were there against UConn are being contested...

..ND has to keep going to the basket and lives with the calls..nobody else to bring in...they only have 6 players

Miss St has Wilt lmao ! It's over, she gets every Rebound!