Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches we should retain...


Recommended Posts

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

 

What do do you guys think about retaining coaches and if you agree, which ones?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should let Ballard decide. If he does let Pagano go, the new coach would likely build his own staff. I cant think of many new HCs that have kept a majority of the old staff that just sent the last guy packing. The only way Pagano stays is if the Colts win a lot of games going forward, which would make it likely he would retain everyone possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

 

What do do you guys think about retaining coaches and if you agree, which ones?

RB coach maybe too we will see if Mack developes before the year is out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, life long said:

I think we should let Ballard decide. If he does let Pagano go, the new coach would likely build his own staff. I cant think of many new HCs that have kept a majority of the old staff that just sent the last guy packing. The only way Pagano stays is if the Colts win a lot of games going forward, which would make it likely he would retain everyone possible.

I agree... I'm glad we have Ballard making the hard decision's. I haven't agreed with all of them (Tolzien over Morris) but what if he would have chosen to roll with Morris? Would there be a Jacoby on the team right now? Would we have the faith we have in Morris that we have in Jacoby? Luckily Ballard has to make all of the important decisions. That includes keeping Pagano and the rest of the coaching staff, I really hope he's working on this year though, and they are all preparing on the Seachicken's next week!  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, life long said:

I think we should let Ballard decide. If he does let Pagano go, the new coach would likely build his own staff. I cant think of many new HCs that have kept a majority of the old staff that just sent the last guy packing. The only way Pagano stays is if the Colts win a lot of games going forward, which would make it likely he would retain everyone possible.

   Well said. We really don't know the things that go into the decisions to keep coaches and players or what reasons there are for letting them go. 

     Even the roster changes today; there are reasons they happened and we're not privy to them.

    A lot of posters are assuming Pagano and staff are gone, after this year. I'm not so sure. I do trust that whatever decisions Ballard makes will be in the best interest of the team, regardless of popular opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

 

What do do you guys think about retaining coaches and if you agree, which ones?

A new HC will want his guys.   1 or 2 might be retained,  tops 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

 

What do do you guys think about retaining coaches and if you agree, which ones?

 

 

 Some serious fantasy football.

Link to post
Share on other sites

QB coach and Mathis 

One thing about Pagano that I always was happy about was the players played for him week in and week out and even a below average roster would somehow get 8 plus wins but this year I really don't see too much of that am I the only one who thinks this way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm going to bust out laughing if Pagano is retained.  Some of you talk like you have 100 percent insider info that he's getting fired.

 

You are right, but I will personally be shocked if he's not fired. If I were Ballard I would have pulled that trigger after the rams game and put shotty in charge the rest of the way to see if I had any interest in him as a long term replacement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

You are right, but I will personally be shocked if he's not fired. If I were Ballard I would have pulled that trigger after the rams game and put shotty in charge the rest of the way to see if I had any interest in him as a long term replacement. 

The league has been searching for new young coaching talent. I would prefer him as the interim head coach on pedigree alone. Philbin and Chud have already tried and failed why not see what the kid has. Obviously that would imply a mid season firing which i doubt. Even if Luck missed the season which i also doubt, I bet Pagano could muster an 8-8 season if Brissett stays healthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'm going to bust out laughing if Pagano is retained.  Some of you talk like you have 100 percent insider info that he's getting fired.

If we don't get to the playoffs,  I find it hard to believe Chuck is kept.   He isn't a Ballard hire.   I'm sure CB has some people in mind.   I'm not a pagano hater like many here.  He has been dealt a crappy hand on the personnel front for most of his time here.   I just have to believe he is gone after this season

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm going to bust out laughing if Pagano is retained.  Some of you talk like you have 100 percent insider info that he's getting fired.

 

As much I want to see them move on from Pagano, I don't think it's completely out of the question that they keep him. Somebody (likely Irsay) apparently wasn't ready to move on from his this past spring. If the plan was to have a lame duck HC and let Ballard bring in his guy the following season, then the Colts wouldn't have made significant acquisitions like Sheard and Hankins that fit the lame duck HC's system. They also wouldn't have entrusted the lame duck HC to have the first crack at developing the GM's first draft class.

 

Looking at the season, the offense will likely get a mulligan because of having a new inexperienced QB and/or a rusty Luck. If anything, Brissett developing and being a capable QB is a huge plus in that area...even if the Colts aren't winning games.

 

But what's the one area where we have seen the most improvement so far? The defense...which is Pagano's area. If there are noticeable improvements on defense by the end of the season (and it seems headed that way)...and Ballard's FAs and draft picks look good and continue to have success/develop, then it will show a good symbiotic relationship between HC and GM...which is what Irsay wants. And I am sure it's what Ballard wants as well.

 

Pagano is still awful at in-game management and adjustments, but this hasn't gotten him fired yet...so there's no guarantee it would now. There's really no telling what Irsay/Ballard will do.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

As much I want to see them move on from Pagano, I don't think it's completely out of the question that they keep him. Somebody (likely Irsay) apparently wasn't ready to move on from his this past spring. If the plan was to have a lame duck HC and let Ballard bring in his guy the following season, then the Colts wouldn't have made significant acquisitions like Sheard and Hankins that fit the lame duck HC's system. They also wouldn't have entrusted the lame duck HC to have the first crack at developing the GM's first draft class.

 

Looking at the season, the offense will likely get a mulligan because of having a new inexperienced QB and/or a rusty Luck. If anything, Brissett developing and being a capable QB is a huge plus in that area...even if the Colts aren't winning games.

 

But what's the one area where we have seen the most improvement so far? The defense...which is Pagano's area. If there are noticeable improvements on defense by the end of the season (and it seems headed that way)...and Ballard's FAs and draft picks look good and continue to have success/develop, then it will show a good symbiotic relationship between HC and GM...which is what Irsay wants. And I am sure it's what Ballard wants as well.

 

Pagano is still awful at in-game management and adjustments, but this hasn't gotten him fired yet...so there's no guarantee it would now. There's really no telling what Irsay/Ballard will do.

 

 

I might be speculting here but it seems to me that Ballard is smart enough to realize he's going to have to hire a guy who basically runs the same defensive scheme we do now. Or at least very similar. It'd take him even longer to not only have to rebuild our roster but then get rid of the "decent" players we have that already fit our D schemes mostly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think we should stop this and worry about the rest of this season

 

 

I know it's too early but this season may be a tank too.  All of the other 3 teams in the division have more talent than the Colts and are playing better.  Even if Luck comes back Game 6, you can expect at most we go 7-4 in those remaining games.  That means we need to go 2-1 in these next three to have a realistic shot at winning the division or even being a wild card team.  Those 3 games are @SEA, vs SF and @TEN.  2-1 will be a tall task.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tikyle said:

 

I know it's too early but this season may be a tank too.  All of the other 3 teams in the division have more talent than the Colts and are playing better.  Even if Luck comes back Game 6, you can expect at most we go 7-4 in those remaining games.  That means we need to go 2-1 in these next three to have a realistic shot at winning the division or even being a wild card team.  Those 3 games are @SEA, vs SF and @TEN.  2-1 will be a tall task.

That doesn't matter but I come from a coaching family

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tikyle said:

 

I know it's too early but this season may be a tank too.  All of the other 3 teams in the division have more talent than the Colts and are playing better.  Even if Luck comes back Game 6, you can expect at most we go 7-4 in those remaining games.  That means we need to go 2-1 in these next three to have a realistic shot at winning the division or even being a wild card team.  Those 3 games are @SEA, vs SF and @TEN.  2-1 will be a tall task.

This just furthers my belief that there are some mediocre Colts fans in this forum, bordering a jump to another wagon.  Over 50% new roster with 8 of 11 new to our D all together currently.  We have key injuries and are 1-2.  We are 1-2 and getting better each week though.  We are hopefully going to have a healthy secondary for the first time going into Seattle.  Kelly is supposed to start practicing soon and that is a huge help.

 

We have an improved run D and yes they will be put to the test over that stretch of games but Seattle does not look that good.  SF is merely stopping Hyde and making them throw.  Titans are a good team and that hopefully is a good game, but this is when I can see Luck coming back to play.  He starts to practice next week and then game plans for TN.  If not it is because they are still seeing great potential and progression from Brissett which would still be good for us.  Either way we could be easily 2-1 after that stretch and be 4-3 overall if Luck comes back after the TN game.  We then have:

 

Jags - W

@ Bengals - W

@ Texans - L

Steelers - L

Titans - W

@ Jags - W

@ Bills - W

Broncos - L

@ Ravens - W

Texans - W

 

I say we go 8-3 if we stay healthy from here on and get guys back from injuries like Geathers and Swoope.  Thats us going 10-6 overall and say I am off one then there is 9-7, still playoff worthy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

This just furthers my belief that there are some mediocre Colts fans in this forum, bordering a jump to another wagon.  Over 50% new roster with 8 of 11 new to our D all together currently.  We have key injuries and are 1-2.  We are 1-2 and getting better each week though.  We are hopefully going to have a healthy secondary for the first time going into Seattle.  Kelly is supposed to start practicing soon and that is a huge help.

 

We have an improved run D and yes they will be put to the test over that stretch of games but Seattle does not look that good.  SF is merely stopping Hyde and making them throw.  Titans are a good team and that hopefully is a good game, but this is when I can see Luck coming back to play.  He starts to practice next week and then game plans for TN.  If not it is because they are still seeing great potential and progression from Brissett which would still be good for us.  Either way we could be easily 2-1 after that stretch and be 4-3 overall if Luck comes back after the TN game.  We then have:

 

Jags - W

@ Bengals - W

@ Texans - L

Steelers - L

Titans - W

@ Jags - W

@ Bills - W

Broncos - L

@ Ravens - W

Texans - W

 

I say we go 8-3 if we stay healthy from here on and get guys back from injuries like Geathers and Swoope.  Thats us going 10-6 overall and say I am off one then there is 9-7, still playoff worthy.

 

 

We beat the Browns by 3 at home.......so I think you need to change 'mediocre' to 'realistic.'  We lost to a terrible Cardinals team at home.  You can put all the data you want, the Colts are a flawed football team.  They are a broken football team as well.  All the points you made makes my point.  Why would you think the lack of health and roster continuity we have would lead to a team performing well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tikyle said:

 

We beat the Browns by 3 at home.......so I think you need to change 'mediocre' to 'realistic.'  We lost to a terrible Cardinals team at home.  You can put all the data you want, the Colts are a flawed football team.  They are a broken football team as well.  All the points you made makes my point.  Why would you think the lack of health and roster continuity we have would lead to a team performing well?

You have actually helped my point.  You see that is why I mentioned us getting better each and every week.  The health and lack of continuity gets better every week...therefore helping my point.  I do not get into excuses for a loss nor do I need to justify a win.  We are a struggling team with a lot of issues but yet we are getting better and having KEY players back only helps.  So playing better football would be "realistic"!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2017 at 4:24 PM, J@son said:

Let the new HC decide.  Chances are though, no one is retained if  when a new HC comes in. 

Yup. A head coach wants his own guys where possible. Its not a complete stretch to say a certain coach might be retained. I believe that occurs often after a new coach is hired. But most will be gone, and rightly so. The HC will bring a certain Offensive and Defensive system, as well as Special Teams. He will bring in the coaches he needs to implement those systems. You have to assume that in any interview with a HC, that is one of the selling points: I can bring in the guys we need to get my systems up and running quickly. Long story short: most of the staff will be history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • In a way it doesn’t even matter if the cap goes way up. All that means is your stats are going to get paid more.
    • The reality of the situation is that you try to keep your 4-5 stars, rotate out your aging or expensive middle of the roster and hope that you keep up with a robust inexpensive rookie haul each year   I see these "middle guys" getting traded for draft picks, or being allowed to leave via FA (Which creates comp picks)    
    • I was having similar thoughts a while ago - how can we have so much money tied in the OL and isn't this detrimental to the team? The more I've been thinking about it the more I feel like... it's all about allocation of resources. Every team has limited resources and if you allocate too much resources to one area you might be hitting the point of diminishing returns. For example... would you rather pay 40% of your cap on the no. 1 OL in the league or 30% on the no. 5 OL in the league? And where is the cut off where it all becomes excessive spending that can be used better elsewhere on the roster? But also... we have to account for draft picks in our considerations, too.   This is really the main couple of resources for acquiring talent - cap space and draft picks . It's interesting that they are almost completely decoupled, too ... meaning - for huge majority of draft picks, the cap spent is minuscule and doesn't impact the cap space much and at the same time for the biggest of our cap spendings we don't spend draft resources(Buckner and Q being the exceptions here). It's also important to not count it twice once the draft picks enter their second contract. At least I don't ... so... in essence it becomes - cap space + RECENT draft picks(still on rookie contracts)....   In essence my position has been ammended to something along the lines of - I don't care what % of the money we spend on specific position group as long as there is enough resources (this might include draft picks) spent on most other important positions. Example -   - QB - we spent 1st, 3d and 25M a year for QB. This is plenty IMO. People seem to consider it cheap but it is NOT cheap when you account for BOTH the picks and the money. If Wentz gets back to his previous form with us, I am good with it. I think it's worth it having that type of QB. - EDGE group - no big money spent, but pretty big draft resources - currently 1st round pick, 3 second round picks.. - Interior pass-rush - big money, big resources (22M a year for Buckner, 10M a year for Grover, 1st for Buckner). - OL - good mix of money and draft resources (Fisher 10M, Kelly 12M, Glowinski 6M + 1st + 2nd on Q and Braden)... now if you have to replace the 1st and 2nd from Braden with big money you will need to spend some picks rather than money on other positions and this is exactly what we did with EDGE - shuffled around the resources spent from money(Autry, Houston) to draft picks - Paye, Odeyingbo - CB - this IMO is the group that is in a holding pattern... I don't know where we will go with it, because we have some pick investments, but they are to a huge degree question marks and Kenny is our only CB with somewhat big(still not huge though) contract past this year. IMO Ballard is waiting on them(Rock, Tell, Rodgers) to show him something either way and we are very likely to address it next year. BTW I have not watched next year's CBs, but the PFF guys seem to think next year's CB class is very good... probably too ealry to tell at this point but worth keeping in mind. I wonder if Ballard looks ahead to future drafts...  - WR - good, not great resources spent - 2 2nd round pick + short term deal for TY... another position in holding pattern.    So I guess my general position is - As long as the roster overall has good talent at other positions be it through bargain FA contracts that hit or through draft picks, I'm good with us splurging a bit on a specific area of the team that we consider important. In general I feel like our resources have been spent relatively well, with some minor gripes here and there, but even for them there IMO is a good reason.   
    • I hadn't though about it much, but the LB position isn't robust beyond Darrius.  It'll be a thing at some point, bank on it.
    • It will be fun to be on the winning side of that equation!  I remember Manning's face on the sidelines while the opponent ran it down the Colts throat.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...