Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches we should retain...

ColtsBlitz

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

What do do you guys think about retaining coaches and if you agree, which ones?

I think we should let Ballard decide. If he does let Pagano go, the new coach would likely build his own staff. I cant think of many new HCs that have kept a majority of the old staff that just sent the last guy packing. The only way Pagano stays is if the Colts win a lot of games going forward, which would make it likely he would retain everyone possible.

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The DBs coach, WR, TE, and QB. I think all of these coaches deserve to stay. The defensive back coach has seriously developed our secondary past Davis; Wilson, Hooker, Hairston, and Melvin are all up and coming and even though those we drafted are very talented, I think he has a lot to do with it. 

Ones I'm on the bubble with are the DL and our DC, Ted Monachino. Ted seems to be ok, but really I'm not sure. There are those on this forum that are more football savvy when it comes to that. I can't really determine that so have at it. 

RB coach maybe too we will see if Mack developes before the year is out.

28 minutes ago, life long said:

I think we should let Ballard decide. If he does let Pagano go, the new coach would likely build his own staff. I cant think of many new HCs that have kept a majority of the old staff that just sent the last guy packing. The only way Pagano stays is if the Colts win a lot of games going forward, which would make it likely he would retain everyone possible.

I agree... I'm glad we have Ballard making the hard decision's. I haven't agreed with all of them (Tolzien over Morris) but what if he would have chosen to roll with Morris? Would there be a Jacoby on the team right now? Would we have the faith we have in Morris that we have in Jacoby? Luckily Ballard has to make all of the important decisions. That includes keeping Pagano and the rest of the coaching staff, I really hope he's working on this year though, and they are all preparing on the Seachicken's next week!  

46 minutes ago, life long said:

Well said. We really don't know the things that go into the decisions to keep coaches and players or what reasons there are for letting them go. 

Even the roster changes today; there are reasons they happened and we're not privy to them.

A lot of posters are assuming Pagano and staff are gone, after this year. I'm not so sure. I do trust that whatever decisions Ballard makes will be in the best interest of the team, regardless of popular opinion.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

A new HC will want his guys.   1 or 2 might be retained,  tops 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Some serious fantasy football.

QB coach and Mathis 

One thing about Pagano that I always was happy about was the players played for him week in and week out and even a below average roster would somehow get 8 plus wins but this year I really don't see too much of that am I the only one who thinks this way?

59 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm going to bust out laughing if Pagano is retained.  Some of you talk like you have 100 percent insider info that he's getting fired.

You are right, but I will personally be shocked if he's not fired. If I were Ballard I would have pulled that trigger after the rams game and put shotty in charge the rest of the way to see if I had any interest in him as a long term replacement. 

19 minutes ago, J@son said:

You are right, but I will personally be shocked if he's not fired. If I were Ballard I would have pulled that trigger after the rams game and put shotty in charge the rest of the way to see if I had any interest in him as a long term replacement. 

The league has been searching for new young coaching talent. I would prefer him as the interim head coach on pedigree alone. Philbin and Chud have already tried and failed why not see what the kid has. Obviously that would imply a mid season firing which i doubt. Even if Luck missed the season which i also doubt, I bet Pagano could muster an 8-8 season if Brissett stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'm going to bust out laughing if Pagano is retained.  Some of you talk like you have 100 percent insider info that he's getting fired.

If we don't get to the playoffs,  I find it hard to believe Chuck is kept.   He isn't a Ballard hire.   I'm sure CB has some people in mind.   I'm not a pagano hater like many here.  He has been dealt a crappy hand on the personnel front for most of his time here.   I just have to believe he is gone after this season

16 hours ago, krunk said:

As much I want to see them move on from Pagano, I don't think it's completely out of the question that they keep him. Somebody (likely Irsay) apparently wasn't ready to move on from his this past spring. If the plan was to have a lame duck HC and let Ballard bring in his guy the following season, then the Colts wouldn't have made significant acquisitions like Sheard and Hankins that fit the lame duck HC's system. They also wouldn't have entrusted the lame duck HC to have the first crack at developing the GM's first draft class.

Looking at the season, the offense will likely get a mulligan because of having a new inexperienced QB and/or a rusty Luck. If anything, Brissett developing and being a capable QB is a huge plus in that area...even if the Colts aren't winning games.

But what's the one area where we have seen the most improvement so far? The defense...which is Pagano's area. If there are noticeable improvements on defense by the end of the season (and it seems headed that way)...and Ballard's FAs and draft picks look good and continue to have success/develop, then it will show a good symbiotic relationship between HC and GM...which is what Irsay wants. And I am sure it's what Ballard wants as well.

Pagano is still awful at in-game management and adjustments, but this hasn't gotten him fired yet...so there's no guarantee it would now. There's really no telling what Irsay/Ballard will do.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

As much I want to see them move on from Pagano, I don't think it's completely out of the question that they keep him. Somebody (likely Irsay) apparently wasn't ready to move on from his this past spring. If the plan was to have a lame duck HC and let Ballard bring in his guy the following season, then the Colts wouldn't have made significant acquisitions like Sheard and Hankins that fit the lame duck HC's system. They also wouldn't have entrusted the lame duck HC to have the first crack at developing the GM's first draft class.

Looking at the season, the offense will likely get a mulligan because of having a new inexperienced QB and/or a rusty Luck. If anything, Brissett developing and being a capable QB is a huge plus in that area...even if the Colts aren't winning games.

But what's the one area where we have seen the most improvement so far? The defense...which is Pagano's area. If there are noticeable improvements on defense by the end of the season (and it seems headed that way)...and Ballard's FAs and draft picks look good and continue to have success/develop, then it will show a good symbiotic relationship between HC and GM...which is what Irsay wants. And I am sure it's what Ballard wants as well.

Pagano is still awful at in-game management and adjustments, but this hasn't gotten him fired yet...so there's no guarantee it would now. There's really no telling what Irsay/Ballard will do.

I might be speculting here but it seems to me that Ballard is smart enough to realize he's going to have to hire a guy who basically runs the same defensive scheme we do now. Or at least very similar. It'd take him even longer to not only have to rebuild our roster but then get rid of the "decent" players we have that already fit our D schemes mostly 

19 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think we should stop this and worry about the rest of this season

I know it's too early but this season may be a tank too.  All of the other 3 teams in the division have more talent than the Colts and are playing better.  Even if Luck comes back Game 6, you can expect at most we go 7-4 in those remaining games.  That means we need to go 2-1 in these next three to have a realistic shot at winning the division or even being a wild card team.  Those 3 games are @SEA, vs SF and @TEN.  2-1 will be a tall task.

1 minute ago, tikyle said:

I know it's too early but this season may be a tank too.  All of the other 3 teams in the division have more talent than the Colts and are playing better.  Even if Luck comes back Game 6, you can expect at most we go 7-4 in those remaining games.  That means we need to go 2-1 in these next three to have a realistic shot at winning the division or even being a wild card team.  Those 3 games are @SEA, vs SF and @TEN.  2-1 will be a tall task.

That doesn't matter but I come from a coaching family

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

This just furthers my belief that there are some mediocre Colts fans in this forum, bordering a jump to another wagon.  Over 50% new roster with 8 of 11 new to our D all together currently.  We have key injuries and are 1-2.  We are 1-2 and getting better each week though.  We are hopefully going to have a healthy secondary for the first time going into Seattle.  Kelly is supposed to start practicing soon and that is a huge help.

We have an improved run D and yes they will be put to the test over that stretch of games but Seattle does not look that good.  SF is merely stopping Hyde and making them throw.  Titans are a good team and that hopefully is a good game, but this is when I can see Luck coming back to play.  He starts to practice next week and then game plans for TN.  If not it is because they are still seeing great potential and progression from Brissett which would still be good for us.  Either way we could be easily 2-1 after that stretch and be 4-3 overall if Luck comes back after the TN game.  We then have:

Jags - W

@ Bengals - W

@ Texans - L

Steelers - L

Titans - W

@ Jags - W

@ Bills - W

Broncos - L

@ Ravens - W

Texans - W

I say we go 8-3 if we stay healthy from here on and get guys back from injuries like Geathers and Swoope.  Thats us going 10-6 overall and say I am off one then there is 9-7, still playoff worthy.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

This just furthers my belief that there are some mediocre Colts fans in this forum, bordering a jump to another wagon.  Over 50% new roster with 8 of 11 new to our D all together currently.  We have key injuries and are 1-2.  We are 1-2 and getting better each week though.  We are hopefully going to have a healthy secondary for the first time going into Seattle.  Kelly is supposed to start practicing soon and that is a huge help.

We have an improved run D and yes they will be put to the test over that stretch of games but Seattle does not look that good.  SF is merely stopping Hyde and making them throw.  Titans are a good team and that hopefully is a good game, but this is when I can see Luck coming back to play.  He starts to practice next week and then game plans for TN.  If not it is because they are still seeing great potential and progression from Brissett which would still be good for us.  Either way we could be easily 2-1 after that stretch and be 4-3 overall if Luck comes back after the TN game.  We then have:

Jags - W

@ Bengals - W

@ Texans - L

Steelers - L

Titans - W

@ Jags - W

@ Bills - W

Broncos - L

@ Ravens - W

Texans - W

I say we go 8-3 if we stay healthy from here on and get guys back from injuries like Geathers and Swoope.  Thats us going 10-6 overall and say I am off one then there is 9-7, still playoff worthy.

We beat the Browns by 3 at home.......so I think you need to change 'mediocre' to 'realistic.'  We lost to a terrible Cardinals team at home.  You can put all the data you want, the Colts are a flawed football team.  They are a broken football team as well.  All the points you made makes my point.  Why would you think the lack of health and roster continuity we have would lead to a team performing well?

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

We beat the Browns by 3 at home.......so I think you need to change 'mediocre' to 'realistic.'  We lost to a terrible Cardinals team at home.  You can put all the data you want, the Colts are a flawed football team.  They are a broken football team as well.  All the points you made makes my point.  Why would you think the lack of health and roster continuity we have would lead to a team performing well?

You have actually helped my point.  You see that is why I mentioned us getting better each and every week.  The health and lack of continuity gets better every week...therefore helping my point.  I do not get into excuses for a loss nor do I need to justify a win.  We are a struggling team with a lot of issues but yet we are getting better and having KEY players back only helps.  So playing better football would be "realistic"!

On 9/26/2017 at 4:24 PM, J@son said:

Let the new HC decide.  Chances are though, no one is retained if  when a new HC comes in. 

Yup. A head coach wants his own guys where possible. Its not a complete stretch to say a certain coach might be retained. I believe that occurs often after a new coach is hired. But most will be gone, and rightly so. The HC will bring a certain Offensive and Defensive system, as well as Special Teams. He will bring in the coaches he needs to implement those systems. You have to assume that in any interview with a HC, that is one of the selling points: I can bring in the guys we need to get my systems up and running quickly. Long story short: most of the staff will be history.