Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NCAA coaches arrested by FBI

On 9/26/2017 at 11:04 AM, Nadine said:

some of these coaches apparently involved in pay for play as gatekeepers to financial advisors, managers, sportswear reps for player

And making the player think that it was in their best interest when in reality, they'd been bribed.

That is what I found most disturbing. 

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are you concerned about possible allegations against UK basketball? Coach Cal left both UMass and Memphis in a mess. 

Different reason and U.K. Is a Nike school

The UMass deal was payments made to Marcus Camby and his friends, Memphis issues were over bad test scores 

Kentucky also have very tough regulations on things like this because of the Eddie Sutton situation 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Are you concerned about possible allegations against UK basketball? Coach Cal left both UMass and Memphis in a mess. 

I don't think Kentucky is involved. Cal actually backed off a lot of the players that are known about so far. And as PT said Kentucky is mostly a nike school, Adidas looks to be the main troublemaker. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I don't think Kentucky is involved. Cal actually backed off a lot of the players that are known about so far. And as PT said Kentucky is mostly a nike school, Adidas looks to be the main troublemaker. 

To my knowledge they are not involved. Man Chuck Person is, I loved him as a Pacer. I couldn't imagine arresting someone like him :Cry:

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, RockThatBlue said:

NCAA is moving at a snails pace on them. They could have 2 or 3 titles vacated from 20 years of blatant cheating.

I'm not defending NC but the fact that you have bogus classes at a University isn't exactly cheating...especially since many kids not even athletes benefited...my time in college there were obvious bogus classes too...and its not like they have to be called basket weaving 101...don't get me wrong...kids should be there to learn but these kids are there to be professional basketball players...not engineers. They should be taking classes like personal finance, social media 101, how to spot a scammer and rid yourself of hanger-ons, and who is your fall guy (every athlete needs one). They don't need to be taking American history or Psychology.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Means Bruce Pearl could be in trouble by association 

Met him many times....super super nice guy....but no doubt in my mind would cut every corner, find every grey area, and cross any line to win and succeed. His time at my school USI he would bring in guys thrown off Division 1 teams like Michigan and others....players worked summer jobs at Kenny Kent "washing" cars and driving brand new rides everywhere....mysteriously always having gift cards to purchase stuff all the time etc...and obviously he has had issues at Tennessee and elsewhere. Again..super nice guy...but its clear people will take the quick and easy way to win if they get offered in this crazy high stakes world of NCAA sports.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, RockThatBlue said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/27/16375138/nike-eybl-fbi-college-basketball-scandal

Its not just Addidas being looked into...and while I doubt UK is involved considering they don't need to pay to recruit these kids it doesn't mean assistants and staff aren't steering them towards agents etc. Don't get me wrong...any team could get caught up in this....even IU is an addidas school and heck Archie's brother's school Arizona where Archie was an assistant 6 years ago is highlighted in the case...but so far its been mostly Addidas focus. Thing is the guy investigated at Addidas came from Nike a couple years ago....is that when this all started....highly unlikely...did he just bring over his tactics...who knows but this isn't going away anytime soon. I think the red flags are when players that have been listing teams one way all along suddenly land at other schools (Bowens....maybe Bamba to Texas??). Stuff like that should raise a flag...but really its no surprise these AAU leagues with coaches making in the six figures all run by shoe companies who have college team deals in place for millions would want to steer their star players to star universities to sell their shoes...etc...and its no big surprise assistant coaches are steering guys to agents etc for kickbacks....probably been going on for a while and not surprising to me. I imagine just about any team with high ranking recruits could be affected by this fbi probe.

My honest opinion...let the kids go pro...not that it will stop all of this but it certainly would stop this one year b.s. that's going on when a kid has no intentions of being a student and is just being held back from making millions.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Met him many times....super super nice guy....but no doubt in my mind would cut every corner, find every grey area, and cross any line to win and succeed. His time at my school USI he would bring in guys thrown off Division 1 teams like Michigan and others....players worked summer jobs at Kenny Kent "washing" cars and driving brand new rides everywhere....mysteriously always having gift cards to purchase stuff all the time etc...and obviously he has had issues at Tennessee and elsewhere. Again..super nice guy...but its clear people will take the quick and easy way to win if they get offered in this crazy high stakes world of NCAA sports.

I am a USI alum 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am a USI alum 

I had a few friends on the basketball team when I went to school back in 97-01. I would often run in circles with guys on the team and played ball at the PAC almost every day with them....but it was easy to tell even at a division 2 school that something fishy was going on.

Just now, dgambill said:

I had a few friends on the basketball team when I went to school back in 97-01. I would often run in circles with guys on the team and played ball at the PAC almost every day with them....but it was easy to tell even at a division 2 school that something fishy was going on.

I was there at the same time and knew several athletes of all sports through HS and the Education/SS Department but was never real close to the Basketball program because of my schedule and responsibilities in Princeton