Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning - Forever An Indy Icon?

Dan

The main article on nfl.com is currently "

Is it only me, or does everyone agree that this is a no-brainer? It's a matter unquestioned that the Lucas Oil Stadium is "the house that Peyton built". It's also a matter unquestioned that this franchise would not have had a fraction of its success without Manning at the helm. Whether you want us to disregard Manning and start Luck from day 1, whether you want Luck to sit and learn, whether you want to drop the pick and keep Manning, whatever your standpoint, this is unquestionable.

With this in mind... why do some seem to treat it as if it's not a given that Manning will no longer be a Colts legend? As far as I can see, whether he stays, leaves or retires in the coming weeks, Peyton Manning will go down as the best player to ever wear a horseshoe to date, and probably for a long, long time to come.

I fully expect #18 shirts to be worn around Indianapolis and in the stadium for years and years to come. The man deserves a statue outside the ground and immortalisation in other fashions, too, and I would be very disappointed to see Colts fans turn their back on the man if he left.

So my question is... If Peyton Manning leaves the Indianapolis Colts for any reason this offseason, will you still see him as an Colts icon? Will you still wear his jersey, will you still worship the man as we all do now? Or will you discard any sentiment and mark him down as a figure of the past? If so, why?

The man who felt it necessary to write a front page nfl.com article questioning the matter?

I think you read it wrong.....errr something?

But Peyton Manning has become more than that here.

He's become the face of the city itself.

But the bridge between a city and its iconic athlete will remain, if in a different form.

He didn't seem to question the matter of fans holding Manning in their hearts as an Indianapolis icon. He actual did quite well to highlight the opposite of what you're saying.

Whoever said this?

I had the same question. The article seems to suggest there is no way to see him as anything but an icon, and a huge force in the recent shaping of Indianapolis. I haven't heard anyone say anything otherwise.

I'm not inclined to worship any man, but I certainly will always see him as an icon, for the team and for the city.

I think you read it wrong.....errr something?

He didn't seem to question the matter of fans holding Manning in their hearts as an Indianapolis icon. He actual did quite well to highlight the opposite of what you're saying.

Why write the article if it's not being questioned by somebody, though?

And if you read the first line of my post I pointed out that it's a no-brainer to me and just wondered if there actually was anybody who thought differently - if not then this thread of mine is just as pointless as his article for which I apologise.

Manning will always be looked at as a Colts legend....even if he retires today or goes on to play for another team.

Johnny Unitas is still thought of a Colt despite finishing with SanDiego

Joe Namath is still thought of a Colt despite finishing with LA.

More recently....

Montana / Rice are will both always be 49ers

Favre will always be a Packer

E. Smith will always be a Cowboy

No matter how the next few weeks or years play out, Manning will always be a Colt.

Why write the article if it's not being questioned by somebody, though?

And if you read the first line of my post I pointed out that it's a no-brainer to me and just wondered if there actually was anybody who thought differently - if not then this thread of mine is just as pointless as his article for which I apologise.

With all due respect, sir, you seem to be the only one questioning it.

Are you questioning my questioning of your questioning?

Wait....what?

I am questioning my questioning of your questioning!

I think this thread has been misinterpreted either through poor wording or interpretation - probably the wording!

The point was not to question whether we SHOULD still see him as an idol - in my mind of course we should - but instead to see if there was any point writing an article about it because to me it's a foregone conclusion. That's why my question was, is there actually anybody who feels different, or is the main article of nfl.com showing what a slow news day it is?

Manning will always be looked at as a Colts legend....even if he retires today or goes on to play for another team.

Joe Namath is still thought of a JET despite finishing with LA.

More recently....

No matter how the next few weeks or years play out, Manning will always be a Colt.

fixed it for ya............

So my question is... If Peyton Manning leaves the Indianapolis Colts for any reason this offseason, will you still see him as an Colts icon? Will you still wear his jersey, will you still worship the man as we all do now? Or will you discard any sentiment and mark him down as a figure of the past? If so, why?

I will always see PM as a Colts icon.

I do not wear player jerseys by rule. I wear team gear. I am a fan of the team.

I do not worship any player, now or in the future.

Dan, don't be too discouraged by poster responses to this thread. They are venting their unhappiness, given the recent Irsay communication. Some of them are just now coming to realize that their version of reality is not real.

Joe Namath is still thought of a Colt despite finishing with LA.

More recently....

One question.... Lets say hypotical question... Manning goes to another team, plays 4 or 5 year, wins 2 or lets even go as far to say 3 superbowls with new team... Would it be hard for him to enter HOF as a Colt that pushed him out of town, and only got one ring with or go into HOF under his new team that welcomed him with open arms? I know that's a lot of what if's but just wondering... I could see that changing him as an Indy Icon????

lol, Fixed!

LOL Curse of the Sheriff...

I'm following Manning where ever he goes.... I followed him as a TN volunteer fan to being the Colts fan because I watched Manning in TN, and I will follow him to the new team... I just hope Luck is what everyone builds him up to be for the Colts sake... Curse of the Sheriff here it comes

One question.... Lets say hypotical question... Manning goes to another team, plays 4 or 5 year, wins 2 or lets even go as far to say 3 superbowls with new team... Would it be hard for him to enter HOF as a Colt that pushed him out of town, and only got one ring with or go into HOF under his new team that welcomed him with open arms? I know that's a lot of what if's but just wondering... I could see that changing him as an Indy Icon????

In the nfl you don't go in by team they list everyone you played for.

LOL Curse of the Sheriff...

I'm following Manning where ever he goes.... I followed him as a TN volunteer fan to being the Colts fan because I watched Manning in TN, and I will follow him to the new team... I just hope Luck is what everyone builds him up to be for the Colts sake... Curse of the Sheriff here it comes

I just hope we actually draft Luck or a lot of people around here will feel awfully silly. What happens if we take RG3? Personally I like Luck, but you never know what happens at the combine. Also RG3 didn't lose his bowl game LOL.

The odds of him playing into his lower 40's and winning more SB's in the next 4 / 5 years than he's even played in during entire career to this point is highly unlikely.

However -- if he were to do what you listed, I suppose it could have an impact.

The odds of him playing into his lower 40's and winning more SB's in the next 4 / 5 years than he's even played in during entire career to this point is highly unlikely.

However -- if he were to do what you listed, I suppose it could have an impact.

especially when he knocks Colts out of the Playoffs IF Colts even make it to play offs in next 4-5 years... Losing a lot of talent in this rebuild, and lets not forget even with keeping some talent, this is only a 2-14 team without Manning