Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett vs Luck

masterlock

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, King Colt said:

First the Colts have a history of having no clue what talent is. Now Luck's return date is open for interpretation and rumors. Let's say Brissett plays through week 8 or 9 and is keeping the team above .500 and in the run to win the AFC South. Add to this 100 % of the players are healthy. Do you insert Luck for the stretch run or do you stay the course not to upset the cart keeping Brissett? I choose "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."-stay with Brissett.

Colts history of having no clue what talent is??  Your memory is lacking anything that makes sense.

Brissett has shown promise and it looks like a good trade.  It appears he could be the ideal backup.

Starter?  With a balanced team, with a running game and elite defense you possibly could be a playoff team with him.  This team?  You're not beating top competition and making the playoffs with Brissett on this team, and under no circumstances would you start him over Luck, even a rusty Luck.

As for him being a hot free agent in two years, it's a classic case of fans overvaluing their own players.  Under the circumstances, for a backup he's done well in two games, but he hasn't done that well.  He did throw the pick vs. KC.  

It's really amazing how fast things move.

This is a less obvious one in the big scheme of things, but still...

3 weeks ago the whole franchise was a clueless mess for not having a competent QB handy. Ballard waves the magic wand, hits a home run with the trade (which I wasn't enamored with at first), more or less fixes the QB situation on the fly and now we should get rid of Brissett because he's played well-ish?

I'd laugh too if I was Ballard.

If you have an effective, low-cost backup QB, who on earth would you trade him, even if your QB didn't have a fairly extensive history of missing games? 

Haven't you guys seen that movie already? It was called The Curtis Painter Story. 

Having a capable backup at the game's most important position is just smart team building. Brissett should not start over a healthy Andrew Luck, but now that you've got a capable fill-in, why the heck would you go and trade him? 

Just now, GoPats said:

If you have an effective, low-cost backup QB, who on earth would you trade him, even if your QB didn't have a fairly extensive history of missing games? 

Haven't you guys seen that movie already? It was called The Curtis Painter Story. 

Having a capable backup at the game's most important position is just smart team building. Brissett should not start over a healthy Andrew Luck, but now that you've got a capable fill-in, why the heck would you go and trade him? 

I think we got the better of the trade. Brissett is a good backup, we could easily be 2-0 with him. I haven't paid attention but is BB even playing Dorsett?

There is no doubt that  Luck has elite measurables.  There is also no doubt that Luck holds on to the ball too long, throws his fair share of interceptions, and plays the game like he is a RB or LB which was the cause of his 2 big injuries.  Everyone is assuming Luck will be 100% healthy when he comes back.  I hope with all my being that he is 100% healthy.  There is a very distinct possibility his shoulder may never be 100% healthy.  I think Brissett will be 2 and 2 when we take the field against the Titans.  It will be interesting to see what JBs QBR is after the next 2 games.  I'm holding my judgement for or against JB until after the Seahawks game.  He's only thrown 1 int that I'm aware of and if his low turnover rate continues against the Legion of Doom, I think a lot more people will quit dismissing his good performances that came against bad teams.  I like what I've seen so far and with Lucks injury history, it would be foolish to trade him if he continues his high level of play.  The kid barely knows the playbook and he had the number 3 QBR in the league last week.  I don't care if it did come against a bad team.  It's still a pro defense and he did it behind a patchwork OL.  That's impressive.  

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we got the better of the trade. Brissett is a good backup, we could easily be 2-0 with him. I haven't paid attention but is BB even playing Dorsett?

He did play last week and did well, but I think he's hurt already.  Didn't play yesterday.

No doubt we got the better of the trade, we needed a QB much more than an injured #3 WR.

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He did play last week and did well, but I think he's hurt already.  Didn't play yesterday.

No doubt we got the better of the trade, we needed a QB much more than an injured #3 WR.

both teams traded someone that may not have seen much playing time for somebody who could potentially fill a big need

dorsett is the bigger risk, but the patriots didnt really need JB.  they will have a tough decision with JG in the offseason though 

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

Here's the thing..he doesn't have to be traded now.  He's under contract and won't become a FA until 2020.  If someone calls this year with a 1st round pick offer...I'd listen.  Otherwise, I keep him around and then if his value still appears to be high then I'd start shopping him heading into the 2019 season (his final year under contract). 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Gregg Doyel has a nice little Article on the subject.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/25/jacoby-brissett-too-valuable-to-back-andrew-luck/700787001/

Says he might be Jameis Winston

Yeah, I remember that also being a popular comparison when he came into the league.

I don't know if I'd go that far, not that I'm extremely high on Winston, just think he has a higher ceiling. But I think he could definitely be a capable starter, if not a pretty good one, especially in the right situation.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had a decent game in New Orleans but with Amendola back for the Houston game he didn't really see the field much. Hard to tell if it's a good fit or not yet. Not enough of a sample size. 

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

Here's the thing..he doesn't have to be traded now.  He's under contract and won't become a FA until 2020.  If someone calls this year with a 1st round pick offer...I'd listen.  Otherwise, I keep him around and then if his value still appears to be high then I'd start shopping him heading into the 2019 season (his final year under contract). 

Well THAT makes sense (getting something for a player who probably won't be resigned after his rookie deal is up) but I was talking more about trading him as a chip/asset in the near future. (Just the impression I got from reading through most of the first couple pages of the thread.) 

Just now, GoPats said:

I thought he would do well. Seems to be very bright, and has the physical tools. 

Yeah BB did us a solid on that one. You guys helping us out, who would've thunk it. I know you guys didn't need him with Tom and Jimmy G but still thanks for the help. I don't see us beating Seattle but I think Brissett will beat the 49ers and keep us in contention to win the Division through week 5.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Which wouldn't happen if it were Luck in the game, so yeah, there's zero controversy.

i dont think there is any controversy myself.  not sure anyone really does, the OP is somewhat misunderstand stood i think

it made perfect sense to try to run down the clock in that situation, we would have done that with luck too, but maybe to a lesser extent

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We all know how the media and some fans are, look out if Brissett wins at Seattle. This will heat up then. Sounds crazy but a win like that will put people around here in a frenzy.

Yep, and so many of them are the same ones who said we should tank this entire season for a higher draft pick. I for one am rooting for Brissett to play well and win in Seattle, as well as win vs SF in week 5. But the main reason I'm rooting for that is because I think it'd be amazing if when Luck got back we had a record of 3-2. If we can somehow pull that off, this season takes on an entirely different complexion, assuming Luck truly is 100% and is able to shake off any rust he may have over the next 2 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, and so many of them are the same ones who said we should tank this entire season for a higher draft pick. I for one am rooting for Brissett to play well and win in Seattle, as well as win vs SF in week 5. But the main reason I'm rooting for that is because I think it'd be amazing if when Luck got back we had a record of 3-2. If we can somehow pull that off, this season takes on an entirely different complexion, assuming Luck truly is 100% and is able to shake off any rust he may have over the next 2 weeks.

I'm not banking on that, but I won't lie, I'd like to see how the media talking heads spin that, a month after declaring the Colts the Washington Generals of the NFL (which they still might be, I don't think so- now, but we'll see).

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah BB did us a solid on that one. You guys helping us out, who would've thunk it. I know you guys didn't need him with Tom and Jimmy G but still thanks for the help. I don't see us beating Seattle but I think Brissett will beat the 49ers and keep us in contention to win the Division through week 5.

He seems like a good kid so it's nice to see him doing well for you guys. 

I think it was a good trade for both teams. Dorsett hasn't done much yet (although he did have the second highest yardage total of his career against New Orleans) but they desperately needed some healthy bodies at WR. I think the Patriots also intend to (somehow) keep Jimmy G around until Brady is done... so it's not like they had a great need there. 

11 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

In fairness to @masterlock I don't think he deserves the hounding for starting the thread.  He is not saying "let's start Brissett over Luck", just comparing them and the fact Brissett has looked every bit an NFL starter, which he has.

He even mentions it is only two games and that only time will tell.

Sometimes this board is a bit too quick to jump on people just trying to start a conversation.

Finally, someone who can read! Thank you DaveA1102.

Roflmao, OMG I never thought I see a fan base do this when they HAVE. A franchise QB already. I mean he won 27-0 last year against a much better Texans D And no one here was saying "hey maybe He should take over instead of letting Brady back under center" come on guys! LUCK >>>> Brissett and that's not insulting Brisett who be an average starter in the NFL (15-17 )

6 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Roflmao, OMG I never thought I see a fan base do this when they HAVE. A franchise QB already. I mean he won 27-0 last year against a much better Texans D And no one here was saying "hey maybe He should take over instead of letting Brady back under center" come on guys! LUCK >>>> Brissett and that's not insulting Brisett who be an average starter in the NFL (15-17 )

I think 99% of Colts fans know Andrew is a lot better and our franchise. At least I do. We know we aren't going anywhere without Andrew. Brissett can be a nice fillin though like Hasselbeck was in 2015. When a QB plays Good around here some do fall in love with him. People had crushes on Hass back in 2015.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:27 PM, masterlock said:

Brissett has only started 2 games, and already the guy is looking like he deserves to be a starting QB in the league--the kind of starting QB a lot of teams would love to have right now. When I look at his performance yesterday versus the Browns, I have a hard time imagining that things would've gone any better had Luck started. Brissett's skill set and measurables seem very close to Luck's--they're both athletic, both poised, both have strong arms, etc. And Brissett doesn't seem to make bad decisions either.

Granted, Brissett has had only 2 games as a starter. Only time will tell. But so far, Brissett is looking very comparable to Luck. 

I'll take a swipe at the bit that most won't cover.  When there's no film on you as a player people don't know your tendencies.  There's a reason some players flash for a year or two and then completely go away.  There's a long list.  I too, like Brissett in his first two games but that by no stretch is an indicator of the next 10-15 years.  When you compile several years of proven competency that's when you know.   Think about players that flashed and died, RGIII, Tebow, Tyrod Taylor, Derek Anderson, Kap and more.  That's because once teams learn tendencies they gameplan against it and see if you can adjust and overcome.  Hopefully, Brissett can and will over time.  There's another group of players that have good years and then become very marginal.  It's way too early to compare Brissett to Luck really in any way other than maybe their first two games....actually for Luck it would be game three and four if you must draw a comparison.  Anything else is wildly premature.  Now in 2013 Luck faced a Seattle team in it's prime and I believe Colts won 34-28, that may have even been in Seattle so you could look to that this week perhaps if you love this narrative.  Anyway, no matter, I wondered to a friend how long it would take someone to think Brissett was comparable to Luck...I have my answer.