Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett vs Luck

masterlock

First the Colts have a history of having no clue what talent is. Now Luck's return date is open for interpretation and rumors. Let's say Brissett plays through week 8 or 9 and is keeping the team above .500 and in the run to win the AFC South. Add to this 100 % of the players are healthy. Do you insert Luck for the stretch run or do you stay the course not to upset the cart keeping Brissett? I choose "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."-stay with Brissett.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Brissett's potential as a backup, but he's going to most likely have a very difficult situation at hand next week.  I just hope the game is competitive.  In the end this team revolves around Luck and rightfully so.  When he's healthy and on his game, he's a top quarterback.  

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

I like Brissett's potential as a backup, but he's going to most likely have a very difficult situation at hand next week.  I just hope the game is competitive.  In the end this team revolves around Luck and rightfully so.  When he's healthy and on his game, he's a top quarterback.  

Brissett has played great but in no way is this now Jacoby's Colt once AL is back at 100% and I agree the next could be difficult 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I sure people will try but IMO he is the #1/2 for years to come

How are we going to keep him here past his rookie contract?  I'm sure he's going to be looking for a starting gig past that point.  I see him being here up until that contract ends, but it may not even be that long.

We will probably lose to the Seahawks, but I would love to see the Colts win with Brissett.  He had the number 3 qtr rating last week against a decent Browns defense. Almost beat the Cardinals with a very limited knowledge of the playbook.   The kid is shaping up to be a great backup.  Lol, can't wait to see the threads on here if Brissett wins the next 2 games and the Colts have to choose between an upward trending back up and a very rusty starter.  I'm neutral on his so keep your pitchforks and torches in the barn.  I'm one of the few on here that would let Brissett start against Titans if he wins the next 2 just to give Luck a few more weeks to get acclimated to real game speed.  Best case scenario would be to get a big lead and bring in a Luck for the last quarter.  Kind of like preseason, but play him in 4th instead of 1st.

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Hasnt that first part been an issue with Luck as well though? Not like Moncrief/Rodgers/Dorsett had great numbers last yr. I mean its bascially just how Chuds offense works. His offense is based on feeding 1 WR the ball and using the TE for checkdowns. Was the same in Carolina with Smith/Olsen and even before that in Cleveland with Edwards/Winslow. 

I agree it needs to change, but I think that is more of a problem with Chud than it is with Brissett. 

Moncrief scored tds with luck.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Moncrief scored tds with luck.

ok? And 7 tds thrown specifically in the RZ means the ball is bring spread around the offense? If thats your argument we will have to agree to disagree. I dont even think Brissett has seen enough red zone snaps for me to make an informed decision on his red zone offensive tendencies, let alone specifially citing them as a reference for his offensive tendencies as a whole. 

Right now Brissett is better than Luck because he is at least available.  When Luck does return, he probably won't be better than Brissett immediately because he will likely be extremely rusty.  I expect Luck to struggle and turn the ball over when he gets back simply because he is not in game shape and has not been playing.  He will also take some hits behind this O line and we will see how that shoulder holds up.  It will take Luck some time to get back to form if he even does this season.  Meanwhile Brissett will likely be the more consistent option relegated to sitting on the bench while Luck stumbles through the rest of the season.  So I don't think this will be our year...regardless of Luck returning.

Next year, I expect Luck to return back to form...if he gets through this year healthy.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Right now Brissett is better than Luck because he is at least available.  When Luck does return, he probably won't be better than Brissett immediately because he will likely be extremely rusty.  I expect Luck to struggle and turn the ball over when he gets back simply because he is not in game shape and has not been playing.  He will also take some hits behind this O line and we will see how that shoulder holds up.  It will take Luck some time to get back to form if he even does this season.  Meanwhile Brissett will likely be the more consistent option relegated to sitting on the bench while Luck stumbles through the rest of the season.  So I don't think this will be our year...regardless of Luck returning.

Next year, I expect Luck to return back to form...if he gets through this year healthy.

Nicely put the only difference I see is that AL will not be pushed into action

5 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

He can't. Brissett played fine under the circumstances, but c'mon. They - Luck and him - are in a different league. In every aspect of their game, Luck is lightyearsh ahead. And no, Brissett does NOT have all the talent to beat Luck. Not even close. He is a fine backup, maybe we can shop him for a pick some times in the future, but that's it. (I wouldn't force to trade him, unless there is a crazy GM out who willing to give a 2nd rounder or stg. He is most useful for the Colts as a cheap, quality backup, because his style is similar to Luck's, so he can play from Luck's playbook, he does not need his own.)

lightyearSH?  Chuck, is that you?!?!?   You saw the Kevin Durant story on alt. profiles right!?

It is moot, IMHO, Luck is not going to return from this injury.  Brissett might very well be our future QB as I suspect Luck will medical out.

Before you dismiss me, consider this...

-Luck had shots before every game in 2015, that is very harmful to the tissue around his shoulder.

-The labrum is not something that heals.  It is being held in place with anchors, but will never be as good as an un-damaged shoulder. 

-The Colts organization has never come clean about Andrew's condition.  Is it possible that the reason they do so is because they need to sell tickets?  hmmmm

Time will tell, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have seen the last of Andrew.  What sucks for him, is that he is probably looking at a shoulder replacement in his near future.

11 hours ago, masterlock said:

Brissett has only started 2 games, and already the guy is looking like he deserves to be a starting QB in the league--the kind of starting QB a lot of teams would love to have right now. When I look at his performance yesterday versus the Browns, I have a hard time imagining that things would've gone any better had Luck started. Brissett's skill set and measurables seem very close to Luck's--they're both athletic, both poised, both have strong arms, etc. And Brissett doesn't seem to make bad decisions either.

Granted, Brissett has had only 2 games as a starter. Only time will tell. But so far, Brissett is looking very comparable to Luck. 

In fairness to @masterlock I don't think he deserves the hounding for starting the thread.  He is not saying "let's start Brissett over Luck", just comparing them and the fact Brissett has looked every bit an NFL starter, which he has.

He even mentions it is only two games and that only time will tell.

Sometimes this board is a bit too quick to jump on people just trying to start a conversation.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

In fairness to @masterlock I don't think he deserves the hounding for starting the thread.  He is not saying "let's start Brissett over Luck", just comparing them and the fact Brissett has looked every bit an NFL starter, which he has.

He even mentions it is only two games and that only time will tell.

Sometimes this board is a bit too quick to jump on people just trying to start a conversation.

You think? :D

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Everyone calm down! He barely beat the worst team in the NFL. He's not even close to Luck and shouldn't be in the same conversation. Now I'm not opposed to trading him if he does well the next few weeks, but under no circumstance will he start over a healthy Luck

IMO trading him would be a bad idea. After the Tolzien fiasco I would prefer keeping him.

How did I know this would eventually be a thread. The title should be more along the lines of Brisset and Luck. There is no vs. Luck is the QB of this team, and Brisset knows that. All he has going for him right now is he is showcasing his talent for other teams in hopes he will be a starter somewhere else soon, because he won't be starting over Luck in any way, shape, or form unless Luck suddenly becomes the worst QB in the NFL.