Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett vs Luck

masterlock

Brissett has only started 2 games, and already the guy is looking like he deserves to be a starting QB in the league--the kind of starting QB a lot of teams would love to have right now. When I look at his performance yesterday versus the Browns, I have a hard time imagining that things would've gone any better had Luck started. Brissett's skill set and measurables seem very close to Luck's--they're both athletic, both poised, both have strong arms, etc. And Brissett doesn't seem to make bad decisions either.

Granted, Brissett has had only 2 games as a starter. Only time will tell. But so far, Brissett is looking very comparable to Luck. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Brissett has only started 2 games, and already the guy is looking like he deserves to be a starting QB in the league--the kind of starting QB a lot of teams would love to have right now. When I look at his performance yesterday versus the Browns, I have a hard time imagining that things would've gone any better had Luck started. Brissett's skill set and measurables seem very close to Luck's--they're both athletic, both poised, both have strong arms, etc. And Brissett doesn't seem to make bad decisions either.

Granted, Brissett has had only 2 games as a starter. Only time will tell. But so far, Brissett is looking very comparable to Luck. 

Well.... that's a bit premature.  But it's not like there's nothing to the argument.

This is basically what happened to Drew Bledsoe in New England in 2001.  At first everyone was wedded to the idea that Bledsoe was definitely taking back over and this 4th string 6th round backup would go back to the bench after awhile... after all, Drew was the franchise.  Then that just kinda didn't happen because the kid kept showing himself to be a quality quarterback and Belichick could never justify returning Bledsoe to the starting role.

This is why starting quarterbacks never, E-V-E-R willingly sit out a game.  They know the guys behind them are hungry for a chance to prove they belong.  And coming from the Patriots system, Brissett learned from Brady -- the guy who beat Bledsoe all those years ago. 

I donno if the Colts are gonna let him get away with it, but I'd put my bottom dollar down that Brissett has every intention of trying to steal Luck's job, if he can.  And given his talents, which are pretty seriously decent, I wouldn't rule it out if Luck has a hard time coming back to form after surgery.  Brissett is inexperienced, but he's got all the talent he needs.

17 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

I donno if the Colts are gonna let him get away with it, but I'd put my bottom dollar down that Brissett has every intention of trying to steal Luck's job, if he can.  And given his talents, which are pretty seriously decent, I wouldn't rule it out if Luck has a hard time coming back to form after surgery.  Brissett is inexperienced, but he's got all the talent he needs.

He can't. Brissett played fine under the circumstances, but c'mon. They - Luck and him - are in a different league. In every aspect of their game, Luck is lightyearsh ahead. And no, Brissett does NOT have all the talent to beat Luck. Not even close. He is a fine backup, maybe we can shop him for a pick some times in the future, but that's it. (I wouldn't force to trade him, unless there is a crazy GM out who willing to give a 2nd rounder or stg. He is most useful for the Colts as a cheap, quality backup, because his style is similar to Luck's, so he can play from Luck's playbook, he does not need his own.)

K Brissett was great week 3 but uh....Let's pump the breaks. It was the Browns. They're not very good.

Let's not forget that Brissett, although he wasn't bad, was pretty ineffective against the Cardinals, especially in the second half, when it came to moving the ball down the field (and yes, I know, first start, 2 weeks into the system). 

But uh. Let's not talk about how are backup is just like our franchise QB after 1 good start and 1 satisfactory start. 

34 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Smart move. Increase Brisset's value and trade him for a high draft pick.

Actually, yea, that's a great idea. Let's all buy Brisset jerseys and preach he's the 2nd coming of Michael Vick. Doesn't matter if it's true; preach it and watch the draft picks flood in.

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

One has to think that perhaps the slow starts over the past few years are not Pagano's fault but Luck's.

Maybe have Brissett play the first half and Luck the 2nd half.

I know (or hope) you're joking.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I know (or hope) you're joking.  

Just think it would keep both QBs fresh all year, reduce the chance of injury on both QBs, it would make it harder for teams to develop a game plan against the Colts...

Brisset is proving to come out of the gates fast, and Luck is one of the best 2nd half QBs in the league.

The benefits go on and on.

54 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Dear God,

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Just think it would keep both QBs fresh all year, reduce the chance of injury on both QBs, it would make it harder for teams to develop a game plan against the Colts...

Brisset is proving to come out of the gates fast, and Luck is one of the best 2nd half QBs in the league.

Nuts

I think Brissett is a bad boy, but I'll let him prove who he is.   I ain't starting the comparisons.  I'll just say like I've said all along he's got the goods to be a big time QB.

And of course we know Luck is already a big timer

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm beginning to see your logic (said no sane person).  But you did give me a good laugh after driving home from the game today.  They shut down 65S and I sat in traffic for a good 1 1/2 hours.

1 hour ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Brissett literally played two games as a Colt and people are already comparing him to Luck. SMH.

Well when he has better accuracy with TY than luck has had in his 6 years paying with him, I can see that. 

11 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Well when he has better accuracy with TY than luck has had in his 6 years paying with him, I can see that. 

I think you're forgetting the numerous Houston games and the Chiefs playoff game where Luck and TY finished the game with perfect execution.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: There are not enough Captian Jean-Luc Picard  face palms to express how I feel about OP's statement.

Hey Brisset looks good. Heck he's got starter potential.If Luck is even 90 percent the QB he was pre injury he still a top 10 QB in the league. I think that Brisset could have a high ceiling but has not shown anything more than quality back up skills. He's got a few weeks to audition so I look forward to see him ball out. What a great problem to have if he's legit.

16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think you're forgetting the numerous Houston games and the Chiefs playoff game where Luck and TY finished the game with perfect execution.

No, I'm just remembering the more numerous crucial misses from terrible throws that were always, and still, high and/or behind that led to pick 6's.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, if the Seahawks make Brissett eat humble pie, what will this forum say? 

It is the NFL, can't get too high or too low on any performance since it can change from week to week.

Obviously it will turn to "Brissett is garbage, cut him, Fire everyone!" 

Come on, you should know the ridiculous nature of this forum by now haha

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

When brissett gets other receivers besides hilton involved and throws for multiple tds in a game we can talk

Hasnt that first part been an issue with Luck as well though? Not like Moncrief/Rodgers/Dorsett had great numbers last yr. I mean its bascially just how Chuds offense works. His offense is based on feeding 1 WR the ball and using the TE for checkdowns. Was the same in Carolina with Smith/Olsen and even before that in Cleveland with Edwards/Winslow. 

I agree it needs to change, but I think that is more of a problem with Chud than it is with Brissett. 

Archived