Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Bob Sanders wasn't glass, how many Super Bowl titles do the Colts win in the Manning era?


Recommended Posts

Think about it. Peyton threw 3TDs and 7 picks in his Colts Super Bowl run, and the Colts still won, because Bob Sanders elevated that defense so much. The two healthy years Bob Sanders had, he was All Pro. He was that good. If only he could have stayed injury free. He's be up there with Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins.

 

I think it would have been at least 2 titles more.

 

Here's a very telling quote from the man himself, which is probably also the reason why multiple titles didn't happen:

"If you hit somebody hard enough, they will give up. You can feel their body go limp and they'll just surrender. So every time I hit somebody, the goal is to knock myself out. I know if I hit somebody hard enough that I can feel it, it's hurtigt them 10 times worse".

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, James said:

Think about it. Peyton threw 3TDs and 7 picks in his Colts Super Bowl run, and the Colts still won, because Bob Sanders elevated that defense so much. The two healthy years Bob Sanders had, he was All Pro. He was that good. If only he could have stayed injury free. He's be up there with Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins.

 

I think it would have been at least 2 titles more.

 

Here's a very telling quote from the man himself, which is probably also the reason why multiple titles didn't happen:

"If you hit somebody hard enough, they will give up. You can feel their body go limp and they'll just surrender. So every time I hit somebody, the goal is to knock myself out. I know if I hit somebody hard enough that I can feel it, it's hurtigt them 10 times worse".

If ifs  and buts were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas we'd all have.

 

Can't change history. Might've been a healthy Sanders, but a hurt Peyton.

 

I'm just glad we had em...

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

lol

Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14.

Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, James said:

Think about it. Peyton threw 3TDs and 7 picks in his Colts Super Bowl run, and the Colts still won, because Bob Sanders elevated that defense so much. The two healthy years Bob Sanders had, he was All Pro. He was that good. If only he could have stayed injury free. He's be up there with Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins.

 

I think it would have been at least 2 titles more.

 

Here's a very telling quote from the man himself, which is probably also the reason why multiple titles didn't happen:

"If you hit somebody hard enough, they will give up. You can feel their body go limp and they'll just surrender. So every time I hit somebody, the goal is to knock myself out. I know if I hit somebody hard enough that I can feel it, it's hurtigt them 10 times worse".

 You nailed another great thread..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I could make a huge debate that Bob Sanders has been the 4th best player or 4th most impactful/important player that the Colts have ever had since moving to Indy in 1984. Only behind Peyton, Marvin, and Reggie.

 Not when you consider availability.   His talent was hall of fame like,   his body wasn't 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think the better moot question is how many SBs would the Colts have won if Drew Bledsoe never got injured.  

From 2003-2009 we were 89-23 and won 1 SB. I think in 2003 and 2004 we win the SB if it weren't for the Pats, 2009 we win if Freeney is healthy but we didn't and it's just my opinion. Having said that we won a Championship and 89 games so I will take it!

 

2005 we should've won as well but we choked that season. In 2003 and 2004 I don't consider chokes because we lost at Foxboro

Link to post
Share on other sites

2005.. Was he on the field when Nick Harper ran into Ben Rothelisburger? 

2007..Where was he when we lost to chargers..without Rivers or LT

2008. Bob Sanders couldn't stop Scifres from the best game from a punter ever.

2009. Hurt

2010. hurt

2011. nope

 

Bob was awesome lol but we need much more help lol

 

wasn't even with us in 11 lol my bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

2005.. Was he on the field when Nick Harper ran into Ben Rothelisburger? 

2007..Where was he when we lost to chargers..without Rivers or LT

2008. Bob Sanders couldn't stop Scifres from the best game from a punter ever.

2009. Hurt

2010. hurt

2011. nope

 

Bob was awesome lol but we need much more help lol

2007 Freeney was out, that screwed us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

2005.. Was he on the field when Nick Harper ran into Ben Rothelisburger? 

2007..Where was he when we lost to chargers..without Rivers or LT

2008. Bob Sanders couldn't stop Scifres from the best game from a punter ever.

2009. Hurt

2010. hurt

2011. nope

 

Bob was awesome lol but we need much more help lol

 

wasn't even with us in 11 lol my bad

I still don't understand why.....Nick Harper.....smh......just forget it to many bad memories

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

2005.. Was he on the field when Nick Harper ran into Ben Rothelisburger? 

2007..Where was he when we lost to chargers..without Rivers or LT

2008. Bob Sanders couldn't stop Scifres from the best game from a punter ever.

2009. Hurt

2010. hurt

2011. nope

 

Bob was awesome lol but we need much more help lol

 

wasn't even with us in 11 lol my bad

 

The objective is to imagine what it would be like if Sanders was healthy... Not sure why you noted the years he was unhealthy. 

 

in 2008,  2009, and 2010,  if Sanders was healthy all year, the outcomes could have been significantly different those years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, James said:

Think about it. Peyton threw 3TDs and 7 picks in his Colts Super Bowl run, and the Colts still won, because Bob Sanders elevated that defense so much. The two healthy years Bob Sanders had, he was All Pro. He was that good. If only he could have stayed injury free. He's be up there with Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins.

 

I think it would have been at least 2 titles more.

 

Here's a very telling quote from the man himself, which is probably also the reason why multiple titles didn't happen:

"If you hit somebody hard enough, they will give up. You can feel their body go limp and they'll just surrender. So every time I hit somebody, the goal is to knock myself out. I know if I hit somebody hard enough that I can feel it, it's hurtigt them 10 times worse".

 

I'm going to quote the signature of @21isSuperman  :thmup:

 

"When Bob Sanders was 12, a cobra bit him in the leg. After 4 days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.

Tom Brady can throw an under-inflated football pretty far. Bob Sanders can throw Tom Brady and his overinflated ego even farther."

 

He did those things.  Those are facts, and that's on top of a SB, DPOY, Pro Bowls, etc.  If he did all that while made of glass...  I can only imagine what he would have accomplished if he hadn't been made of glass, since a Bob Sanders not made of glass would basically be indestructible.  O.o

 

I'm actually getting really into this fantasy.  He can't fly, but he could wear our SB banner as his cape, and instead of having some superhero name like "super" man, we all just call him "Bob".  And Bob does way more than separate balls from their carriers and win SBs, he saves the day.  Bob saves the world.  Bob saves the universe.  :excited:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to say. Let's be honest here though: The Colts had no business losing to Pittsburgh in 05 & SD in 07. Those teams really under achieved. They won in 06. That said , Brady was the only decent QB they faced. They were also very lucky to get Rex Grossman in the one SB they did win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

None other than 2007..the 2006 and 2010 Superbowls should have been The Colts....they were team and coaching losses... 

I concur and believe Tony Dungy has been way, way overhyped as a HOF coach. He inherited the greatest offense on earth for roughly five-six years and managed 1 SB victory against a poor representative of the NFC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

From 2003-2009 we were 89-23 and won 1 SB. I think in 2003 and 2004 we win the SB if it weren't for the Pats, 2009 we win if Freeney is healthy but we didn't and it's just my opinion. Having said that we won a Championship and 89 games so I will take it!

 

2005 we should've won as well but we choked that season. In 2003 and 2004 I don't consider chokes because we lost at Foxboro

 

2005 was the best Manning team IMO.  It’s understandable how the circumstances with Dungys son played out.  

 

Still, what an awesome era!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

 

The objective is to imagine what it would be like if Sanders was healthy... Not sure why you noted the years he was unhealthy. 

 

in 2008,  2009, and 2010,  if Sanders was healthy all year, the outcomes could have been significantly different those years. 

I lost track of what I was trying to accomplish. 2009 was the only time he could've made a difference. So 2 titles. Maybe he could've scared an incomplete outta drew brees

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Good player. A couple of good seasons. Not going to carry the team on his shoulders though. The whole defence turned up (in patches) for the SB run. Not just Bob. Not a ring of honour nom., in my opinion. Not enough snaps. Pitty all the same.

I have him in the Ring but he isn't a Hall of Famer because not enough snaps/games played but what he did for our franchise in his short time was priceless. He won DPOY in 2007 and was the spark plug in 2006 during a SB run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...