Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CTE

csmopar

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Beginning to wonder if we'll see more of these lawsuits pop up and if successful, wonder what impacts itll have on the game as a whole

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2734460-aaron-hernandezs-former-fiancee-files-suit-vs-nfl-patriots-amid-cte-claims?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Im pretty sure the NFL has adjusted their contracts to make sure players don't sue them for the damages to their brains. Id say anyone post discovery of CTE probably won't be able to sue the NFL unless they find a loophole (which there always is).

29 minutes ago, mikey287 said:

So he wasn't the 1 out of 111...hmph...

Well…I mean they’ve found it in soccer players brains too. They do headers a lot in practice. Then they go for it in the air and bump heads hard. I’ve always found it unnecessary to head the ball. If I can in soccer, I’d use my chest instead.

2 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Im pretty sure the NFL has adjusted their contracts to make sure players don't sue them for the damages to their brains. Id say anyone post discovery of CTE probably won't be able to sue the NFL unless they find a loophole (which there always is).

Key word there is "players"

39 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Why doesn't his  barber sue as well? Or perhaps his neighbors? "Show me the money."

I know this is about Hernandez but im looking at it as something we could see lots more of

The players should sue. They have every right to get what they deserve.

They sacrificed their bodies and brains for our Sunday entertainment. If anything, the NFL should've come up with some kind of universal healthcare program to pay for all their medical problems after they retire. To see so many former players in the last decade have to sue the NFL for medical treatment is down right sad.

My outlook on the NFL has changed a lot in the last few years. I no longer really care about players being 'greedy' demanding millions. They're sacrificing their bodies for us, so they should be able to milk that cow and get the most out of it while they can. 

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

They sacrificed their bodies and brains for our Sunday entertainment. If anything, the NFL should've come up with some kind of universal healthcare program to pay for all their medical problems after they retire. To see so many former players in the last decade have to sue the NFL for medical treatment is down right sad.

My outlook on the NFL has changed a lot in the last few years. I no longer really care about players being 'greedy' demanding millions. They're sacrificing their bodies for us, so they should be able to milk that cow and get the most out of it while they can. 

I don't understand why you make that comment? There is already a very long list of players and their families that have sued the NFL. It's easy to find those list if you look it up. It has well over 500 names on it and counting.

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

They were not forced to play. They could have sustained injuries in high school and college so sue them as well? If you don't like the water get out of the pool.

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Meh, these guys make millions. If they aren't smart enough to take out long term care insurance with some of that money then it's on them. 

There is so much unknown as far as links to CTE and head trauma and whether it can cause other issues with people like depression etc but my only point of view is this. The issue to me is with the NFLPA. If they are so inept that they can't protect their members and do a good enough job of making sure in their negotiations that they get money for healthcare for its members than they should be one the ones sued. To me the most important service they should provide for their members is safety and protection. Sure they have eliminated a number of practices and hitting etc but if they can't set up healthcare for their employees to ensure they can get proper treatment long after their playing days then that's a fault of theirs imo. Don't get me wrong any organization should look out for its employees but if you have a union then its their job to fight for the best deal they can get for their members. I think this Union has been more worried about salaries and protecting its few legally challenged members lets say and not enough focused on lifetime healthcare of the employees. In a job that takes the physical toil on people like this does this should be a priority as much as just salary. I don't know what it would look like or who would be eligible (maybe players tenure after 3 full seasons or something with provisions set up for those that don't play that long) but to me the NFLPA would have HUGE leverage over the owners to get an agreement on that part of a deal. Fans and outsiders might not be so symphathetic to players holding out for millions of dollars more in a bargaining agreement but if the owners were to look like they didn't want to provide for player safety and health right now.....with all the bad publicity going around with CTE etc....yeah a few bad headlines and articles would be nothing compared to what we would see plastered all over the media to deny the players health coverage. That would not be a good look. So all said I think the NFLPA has done a huge travesty to their members and the unanimous re-election of Demaurice Smith I think was something that I didn't understand considering how the last negotiations went. Time will tell....players salary increases should be less of a concern and a suitable long-term healthcare for its employees should be a primary focus of the next negotiation.

6 hours ago, Synthetic said:

How?  They weren't forced into the NFL.  They could have easily stopped playing football and pursued other interests.  I hate how the NFL has covered it up and tried to hide any connections between football and CTE, but to say the players have every right to sue is a little too far, in my opinion.  If this were forced onto them, maybe.  But they made a decision of their own free will to pursue football, so they have to live with the consequences that come from that, both good (money, lifestyle, popularity, power, etc.) and bad (health concerns).