Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Brissett Breakdown on StampedeBlue

krunk

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/20/16337780/reviewing-jacoby-brissetts-week-2-performance

He missed some big plays out there along with some good stuff.    Probably should have scored 2 more TD or field goals at the least.

Hopefully he's more aware of this going into game 2.

Couldn't help but notice Costanzo getting whipped.

Costanzo had a bad game, but Jones is a very good rusher as well.

A couple of things with that article I do not agree with in the article where I felt Brissett did the right thing.

a) On that "should have thrown to Aiken" instance, when he looked at Aiken, his vision was impeded by the defender close by and he would not know if that defender is leaning away from Aiken or will go with Aiken, and he moved on to his next read, especially when things are happening with a fraction of a second to react and make a decision.

b) Last one was "he had time to wait for TY to get open" instance. Every QB has a mental clock. When Castanzo has had his butt handed to him constantly, that mental clock that Brissett had, was not going to allow him the luxury to take the chance on this instance to see "if things will hold up this time". He acted with his mental clock based on what he knew transpired so far in mind. If he has the confidence he will get more than 3 seconds consistently, he might have waited. 

The only thing I would agree on is the pump fake where he took a sack with no safety behind Moncrief, the first instance. In that case, he pump faked because he knew he had time and if he had the time and knew he had the time, he should have seen Moncrief all the way.

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A couple of things with that article I do not agree with in the article where I felt Brissett did the right thing.

a) On that "should have thrown to Aiken" instance, when he looked at Aiken, his vision was impeded by the defender close by and he would not know if that defender is leaning away from Aiken or will go with Aiken, and he moved on to his next read, especially when things are happening with a fraction of a second to react and make a decision.

b) Last one was "he had time to wait for TY to get open" instance. Every QB has a mental clock. When Castanzo has had his butt handed to him constantly, that mental clock that Brissett had, was not going to allow him the luxury to take the chance on this instance to see "if things will hold up this time". He acted with his mental clock based on what he knew transpired so far in mind. If he has the confidence he will get more than 3 seconds consistently, he might have waited. 

The only thing I would agree on is the pump fake where he took a sack with no safety behind Moncrief, the first instance. In that case, he pump faked because he knew he had time and if he had the time and knew he had the time, he should have seen Moncrief all the way.

Agree. . . Especially on B.  If he's taking hits all afternoon then his mindset is going to shift to "get the ball out quick"

Also that route by Moncrief had a very limited time in which he had to choose to take it.  If TY doesn't get open then the route by Moncrief is closed because the angle would be too steep to throw the ball.  He has to take it while Moncrief is in front of him.  

Now granted Andrew Luck maybe makes the throw to Hilton.  But Luck mentally is looking Hilton's way on any critical down anyways because Hilton is Luck's go to guy.  But that's something that's been built up from playing together and practicing together for 5 years.  It doesn't just happen. 

But Brissett has only been in Indy a couple weeks.  He doesn't know who his go to guy is yet.  For him right now he's just thinking the go to guy is the first guy to get open.  So Brissett pulled the trigger on the first guy to get open, Moncrief.  

I think any QB that came in under the same circumstances would have thrown Moncrief in that situation.  Especially after taking the pressure he did.