Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Connor Williams Is Exactly What We Need.

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No need for apologies. Yes, I understand that Clark was and still is more raw coming out then Williams. But if there are legitimate concerns about his strength, that could hurt him. That’s the problem we have currently with Haeg. Haeg has like zero strength. But who knows. Williams on tape looks nasty in the run game. But I guess scouts are questioning his strength to hold up against pass rushers. Maybe 2nd-3rd round is where Williams might actually go. Like I said, in the little action he saw before injury, he looked rough and he was only playing Maryland. 

Its not like this is uncommon. Every year we see guys who broke out the previous  year, or are expected to have breakout years slated high in the next draft. Then the season rolls out and all of a sudden certain guys start falling. In reality it’s not falling, but guys going where they actually should go. In July names like Jerome Baker, Denzel Ward, Malik Jefferson, Cameron Smith, and Iman Marshall were common 1st round projected players. Now they’re all slated in rounds 2-3. Maybe Williams is in that category. Maybe he was projected too high based on an impressive 2016 that put him on the map but 2nd-3rd rounds are right where he should go. Or Maybe he is a bonafied 1st rounder.

Sorry to answer your post with an equally as long post. Just throwing some perspective out there. I could be completely misreading this, but we won’t know till May.

Great post!  This is why I love College football and then draft process.  These are still young guys who get a lot of pressure put on them their Junior years.  All the hype of this guy or that guy being a 1st rounder, they have to try and live up to or exceed all expectations.  It is crazy!  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Great post!  This is why I love College football and then draft process.  These are still young guys who get a lot of pressure put on them their Junior years.  All the hype of this guy or that guy being a 1st rounder, they have to try and live up to or exceed all expectations.  It is crazy!  

Agreed. One of the most interesting stories was Shalique Calhoun. At one point he was supposed to be the number 1 overall pick. Fast forward to the 2016 draft and he goes 3rd round to the Raiders, and he has been pretty unspectacular for them. Or who could forget the epic slide of Andrew Billings? Or Hassan Reddick. Walk-on CB for Temple, converted to edge rusher, goes to the senior bowl and is asked to play as an off-ball LB and excels, and then he’s a 2017 first round pick.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. One of the most interesting stories was Shalique Calhoun. At one point he was supposed to be the number 1 overall pick. Fast forward to the 2016 draft and he goes 3rd round to the Raiders, and he has been pretty unspectacular for them. Or who could forget the epic slide of Andrew Billings? Or Hassan Reddick. Walk-on CB for Temple, converted to edge rusher, goes to the senior bowl and is asked to play as an off-ball LB and excels, and then he’s a 2017 first round pick.

I love the random name that always shoots up boards during the draft process.  Reddick is a great example.  You always have a guy that starts to get some attention and next thing you know they get drafted much higher than ever expected.  I do remember the Calhoun thing as he was a personal favorite of mine while he was at Michigan State.  He has definitely not panned out that's for sure.  

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I love the random name that always shoots up boards during the draft process.  Reddick is a great example.  You always have a guy that starts to get some attention and next thing you know they get drafted much higher than ever expected.  I do remember the Calhoun thing as he was a personal favorite of mine while he was at Michigan State.  He has definitely not panned out that's for sure.  

And this draft is even more interesting. Once again the Browns are the Wild card with the 1st overall pick. You’ve also got QBs that no one is in love with, no clear cut #1 CB, no top 5 blue chip pass rusher, and no clear cut top WR. Heck the top 3 players are a RB, FS, and an OG.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And this draft is even more interesting. Once again the Browns are the Wild card with the 1st overall pick. You’ve also got QBs that no one is in love with, no clear cut #1 CB, no top 5 blue chip pass rusher, and no clear cut top WR. Heck the top 3 players are a RB, FS, and an OG.

This draft will definitely be interesting.  Will the Browns fire Hue, and if they do, who was the true believer of Kizer?  The Giants might have a chance for Barkley, a running game that is desperately needed but yet they might grab a replacement for Eli as well.  It will be interesting that is for sure.  Plus the Colts, I believe will end up drafting around #10 and not have a top 5 pick.  

22 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This draft will definitely be interesting.  Will the Browns fire Hue, and if they do, who was the true believer of Kizer?  The Giants might have a chance for Barkley, a running game that is desperately needed but yet they might grab a replacement for Eli as well.  It will be interesting that is for sure.  Plus the Colts, I believe will end up drafting around #10 and not have a top 5 pick.  

Top 5 is still possible but not a certainty. But I’d say we have a 95% chance at a top 10 pick. We’re already 1 loss away from not having a record above .500. Still have some talented teams left to play.

DO8mS9RUQAActHM.jpg

I'm also convinced that Walterfootball has some ulterior motives with Williams. Look at what they wrote(this reads more like a hit piece rather than serious analysis in a game where he spurred Texas running game to double their running yards to what they were getting without him, and didn't concede a single QB pressure all game... this is not the same game they watched) :

• Texas 28, West Virginia 14 
    • Texas left tackle Connor Williams was back on the field for the first time since Week 3. Williams injured a knee with a torn meniscus, sprained MCL and PCL against USC. It was good for Williams to get back on the field this season, but his play against West Virginia was not impressive. ESPN's uninformed play-by-play announcer Beth Mowins was saying Williams is a high first-rounder, but Mowins is utterly clueless about how teams are grading Williams. This game won't change those grades. 

On one of the first plays of the game, a defensive tackle was able to get leverage and push Williams about four yards into the backfield and almost came up with a tackle for a loss. Throughout the game, Williams showed some decent feet and athleticism, but his lack of strength could be seen regularly. 

Williams allowed defensive linemen to get leverage and push him into the backfield. That forced his quarterback out of the pocket on some plays. He also had terrible awareness on one play as he literally blocked nobody and just looked straight ahead while a blitzer beat a running back right next to him on his left. For a left tackle not to look to his left for edge rushers is a terrible mental mistake. In the fourth quarter, Williams had a good run block, opening a hole as he pushed a defender in the back into a scrum to get a hole open behind him. However, on the next play, an edge rusher used speed to run around the corner and chase the quarterback out of the pocket for a third-down incompletion. 

The lack of strength also could be seen in Williams bending at the waist to try to get more power on pushing pass-rushers, but waist bending is bad technique that will get exploited by NFL pass-rushers. Williams should really return for his senior year to get better before making the jump to the NFL. 

While Williams has received a lot of first-round hype, he was struggling before his injury, and sources from multiple teams said they gave Williams a mid-round grade. The main issue that sources say is hurting Williams (6-6, 290) is a lack of strength. One AFC team in need of tackle help said they gave him a late third-round, early fourth-round grade. A NFC general manager said he thought Williams was a fourth-rounder after watching him in person early in the year. That general manager said Williams was overhyped and clearly needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room for the NFL. 

Team sources and those around the Texas program say that Williams is hoping to return to the field and produce some good tape this season. He knows that his tape from early in the year wasn't impressive, and he wants to try to generate some good tape before the season ends. If he does that, sources say he would be inclined toward entering the draft. If he re-injures the knee or plays poorly, Williams will probably return to Texas next season. A lot hangs in the balance for Williams in the final weeks of the season, and he needs some big games to change the grades he's received from NFL teams this fall. This tape shouldn't lead him to think of entering the draft. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

DO8mS9RUQAActHM.jpg

I'm also convinced that Walterfootball has some ulterior motives with Williams. Look at what they wrote(this reads more like a hit piece rather than serious analysis in a game where he spurred Texas running game to double their running yards to what they were getting without him, and didn't concede a single QB pressure all game... this is not the same game they watched) :

•  

I'm sorry........    Walter Football was popular when I arrived here 5 and a half years ago,  and it's STILL popular.

But they're not very good.

So, one example of them not being very good is even by the time they do their final grades in April you'll see some players as projected to be drafted between rounds 3-5.       That's a 3 round spread.     More than 100 picks.     Do you know how flat out lazy and weak that is?       You could throw darts and be more accurate.

They're just not very credible.

They may be right sometimes.....   but even a broken clock is right twice a day....    you make enough guesses and you're going to hit on a few.....    it happens....

But more times than not,  I don't think they have a good feel for evaluating players....

2 hours ago, stitches said:

He has been looking pretty good since being back.  My assumption is missing the bowl game allows for training and continued rehab so he can crush the combine and pro day and he will become a top 10 or 15 pick.  Does he become the top guy though? 

On 11/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, DaColts85 said:

He has been looking pretty good since being back.  My assumption is missing the bowl game allows for training and continued rehab so he can crush the combine and pro day and he will become a top 10 or 15 pick.  Does he become the top guy though? 

He is definitely the top rated OT over McGlinchey. 

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I have seen McGlinchey still as the top OT.  It is going to come down to workouts.  You might have some other names rise up the boards as well.

McGlinchey got exposed against Miami and Georgia. They think he struggles with speed rushers. McGlichey is a top 20 pick whereas Williams is top 5-10

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

McGlinchey got exposed against Miami and Georgia. They think he struggles with speed rushers. McGlichey is a top 20 pick whereas Williams is top 5-10

Opinion is opinion.  I have already said I do not see top tier with McGlinchey.  I do not get paid to scout, and the scouts and "experts" still have him as top overall OT.  YOUR opinion is Williams being the top guy and there is nothing wrong with that.  

19 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Thought Williams was a 2nd rounder what happened to that lol

He answered all questions against WVU. I’m guessing it was all smoke and mirrors. 

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Opinion is opinion.  I have already said I do not see top tier with McGlinchey.  I do not get paid to scout, and the scouts and "experts" still have him as top overall OT.  YOUR opinion is Williams being the top guy and there is nothing wrong with that.  

I’m sure it’ll change. It’ll probably be a split where some really like Williams, while some like McGlinchey. Connor is way more athletic though and plays with the “nasty” demeanor that guys like Taylor Lewan did in college.

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He answered all questions against WVU. I’m guessing it was all smoke and mirrors. 

I’m sure it’ll change. It’ll probably be a split where some really like Williams, while some like McGlinchey. Connor is way more athletic though and plays with the “nasty” demeanor that guys like Taylor Lewan did in college.

My only thing is he has looked good so far since being back, but he has not faced any demanding guys either.  McGlinchey has within the last few weeks.  

You are right though, many will factor in their scheme and system to these guys and like one over the other.  I like the run blocking, technique, and size of McGlinchey.  6'8" at 315 pounds with some long arms.  I mentioned before, he reminds me of a better Anthony Castonzo.  More upside imo.

Williams is a solid OT with some good athleticism for a big man.  He can move and I am not to concerned by the strength comments, unless the combine shows he is rather weak.  The NFL should bulk him up though.  He is 6'6" I believe, probably closer to 6'5" and 300 pounds.  Not as long of arms but good at getting into the chest of a defender.

Again, it comes down to who our coach will be and what offensive scheme we go with.  Of the two I personally would prefer the athletic Williams.  He seems like someone who could become very good when placed on an island.  McGlicnhey could easily as well but he has had the top Guard on his hip all year to help with inside stunts or bull rushes.

My opinion of FA

sign Nate Solder to play LT (3 years, 39 million)

sign Justin Pugh to play LG (4 years, 42 million)

move Castonzo to RT

draft Quentin Nelson to play RG

bring back Mewhort for 1 year, 6 million

This would be a very good OL:
Solder / Clark

Pugh / Mewhort

Kelly / Bond

Nelson / Haeg

Castonzo / Good

We got the cap space, would rather regret being in cap hell than waste Luck. He'll be 29 when the next season starts.

That is way way too much money for Solder, and if they did sign him he'd be the one to move to RT not Castonzo. I'd be happy with signing Pugh and drafting Nelson depending on who else is around when we pick, an upgrade at RT would be nice too, but it's the inside that needs to be fixed. 

11 hours ago, rock8591 said:

My opinion of FA

sign Nate Solder to play LT (3 years, 39 million)

sign Justin Pugh to play LG (4 years, 42 million)

move Castonzo to RT

draft Quentin Nelson to play RG

bring back Mewhort for 1 year, 6 million

This would be a very good OL:
Solder / Clark

Pugh / Mewhort

Kelly / Bond

Nelson / Haeg

Castonzo / Good

We got the cap space, would rather regret being in cap hell than waste Luck. He'll be 29 when the next season starts.

Solder is rumored to retire at the end of this year.  You will also have to pry him away from NE so the more money will be key.  Pugh will get more money imo.  He will be getting a lot of suitors and contracts will be approaching 12.5 or 13million.  Zeitler just got 12.4/year and each year the price goes up.  You can say they are not the same talent wise but Pugh's agent commands the money and gets the bidding war started.  If we did do all of this though our line would be much, MUCH better.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:17 AM, ty4atd said:

That is way way too much money for Solder, and if they did sign him he'd be the one to move to RT not Castonzo. I'd be happy with signing Pugh and drafting Nelson depending on who else is around when we pick, an upgrade at RT would be nice too, but it's the inside that needs to be fixed. 

Still better safe than sorry. With the rising NFL cap, 12-13 million for a slightly above-average NFL tackle is nothing.

At worst, he'll command $10 million, overpaying by 2-3 million in FA is nothing.

Remember the $5 shake from Pulp Fiction?

The thing is though he probably won't be much of an upgrade over Haeg/Good at RT. His play gets helped out soo much by Tom Brady's quick passing game, if he came here and had to pass block for more than 2 seconds he'll look much more like what we already have. The outside of the line is alright Costanzo is very good and Haeg/Good are fine at RT. It's the inside of the line that makes the baby Jesus cry, with Mewhorts knees and Vujnovich being soo brutal we need 2 new Gs and Kelly needs to stay healthy.