Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Timeout

ColtsLegacy

Anyone want to try to explain the timeout with 11 seconds left in the 4th quarter.

What the hell was that about? 

Yet another example of horrible timeout management. It's as if Pagano saw we still had all of our timeouts and panicked. Absolutely no excuse or explanation for the use of a timeout there and then we immediately follow it with 12 men on defense afterwards.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

Chuck for years has been known to misuse his timeouts and challenges. Nothing new too me. 

Definitely not new but some signs of improvement would be nice. I just don't understand why it's so difficult. And it's not just Pagano, many coaches have issues with timeout management around the league.

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Anyone want to try to explain the timeout with 11 seconds left in the 4th quarter.

Yet another example of horrible timeout management. It's as if Pagano saw we still had all of our timeouts and panicked. Absolutely no excuse or explanation for the use of a timeout there and then we immediately follow it with 12 men on defense afterwards.

Unless he saw something like we were lined up wrong ? Had to be some kind of defensive adjustment he made... otherwise you would have to be a blathering * to call a TO in that situation.

Especially after playing the 49ers in back-to-back games he should have had a better game plan. He looks as lost as he is. He needs to stop praising the players after they make bonehead plays. All week he would not reveal who the QB would be. Is there any question??!! "Either one would be ready to play", he said. Like Tolzein was "ready" last week? What is going through the GM's mind right now?

3 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Pagnao coached well this week...Team was destroyed in LA and they mostly outplayed Arizona today

2 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Yep. Another year another Pagano (0-2)

How many teams have their backup qb playing and have a better record? The defense  looked good except for one drive,   the starting qb looked ok considering he has been here 2 weeks.   If we have a healthy Andrew,   we win today.   

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

Why are you worrying about a timeout? Literally the least of our problems.

It seems like most people on here just need to make a weekly thread on Pagano.

Chuck has been talked about hundreds of times

I'm worried about stupid decision making by the head coach. It is a big problem.

Why is nobody talking about the pass we threw instead of letting time tick off the clock (with a run) with less than a minute to go.  Arizona would have HAD to have burned its last time out to stop the clock and then we punt.  Did Chuck really think we were going 70 yards to get into field goal range to win the game WITH A MIN or so left? 

Then we punt..... and that's when the other time out fiasco started by good ol' Chuck.  ITS NOT THAT HARD!!!! If you cant manage that simple thing....I have to question his management of a lot of stuff, about the team, that we don't know about. 

That timeout had literally no impact on the outcome of the game. The Colts called it because the Cardinals were getting ready to kick the FG, and Pagano wanted to get the ball back if they weren't going to run another play. The Cardinals smartly ran another play to run a few more seconds off, but there was the possibility of a botched snap or missed block or whatever. As it turns out, the Colts committed a(nother) awful penalty after that timeout, giving the Cardinals another five yards. 

And at the end of it all, the Cardinals missed the FG.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Challenge didn't bother me. We had some momentum, the spot was questionable, & if he wins we get a 1st down. The TO was a head scratcher though.

The immediate replay, before the challenge, clearly showed TY touched and down short, before his second lunge.  This replay came before the challenge.   It was a dumb challenge, yet another coaching gaffe.

1 hour ago, cpd190 said:

Why is nobody talking about the pass we threw instead of letting time tick off the clock (with a run) with less than a minute to go.  Arizona would have HAD to have burned its last time out to stop the clock and then we punt.  Did Chuck really think we were going 70 yards to get into field goal range to win the game WITH A MIN or so left? 

Then we punt..... and that's when the other time out fiasco started by good ol' Chuck.  ITS NOT THAT HARD!!!! If you cant manage that simple thing....I have to question his management of a lot of stuff, about the team, that we don't know about. 

I was talking about, LOTS!  It was a boneheaded decision that showed complete lack of awareness of game situation.  You simply HAVE to force the Cardinals to burn their last time out there, if you fail to pick up the first down.  I agree, it should have been simple.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How many teams have their backup qb playing and have a better record? The defense  looked good except for one drive,   the starting qb looked ok considering he has been here 2 weeks.   If we have a healthy Andrew,   we win today.   

I don't care about what other teams do. I care about the Colts. 4 straight years of 0-2 starts and this is the only year Andrew has missed those first 2 games. The injury excuse is nice but goes both ways, could just as easily say if the Cards had David Johnson they win by more then 3. 

16 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The immediate replay, before the challenge, clearly showed TY touched and down short, before his second lunge.  This replay came before the challenge.   It was a dumb challenge, yet another coaching gaffe.

I don't think it was clear, and I think the original spot was off and they should have respotted and measured. Hilton still was probably short, but I don't mind the challenge given the situation.

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I was talking about, LOTS!  It was a boneheaded decision that showed complete lack of awareness of game situation.  You simply HAVE to force the Cardinals to burn their last time out there, if you fail to pick up the first down.  I agree, it should have been simple.

The Cardinals were going to let the clock run, then use their last timeout to stop the clock and try the FG. Not calling a timeout wouldn't have forced the Cardinals to do anything. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

They were up 10-0 in the 2nd quarter, losing that challenge had no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. There were tons of questionable decisions in the 2nd half, but that challenge didn't bother me at all.

I don't think it gets much worse.  Either punt from your own end zone with 30 seconds left and let them keep their one and only time out.  Or punt from your own end zone with 30 seconds left and let them save their one and only time out.  Choose one......im just baffled! 

However, as a team, the Colts looked pretty good finally.  I am just ready to fire the coach so we can move forward.  I'm afraid Chuck will win just enough games this year to keep his job!!!!!