Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unitaswestand

Sick Of The Peyton Stories And Press

I normally get up everyday and check all my Colts links to get my fill of Colt news a few times a day. But I have to admit that since the weekly "XXXXX is interested in Manning" or "Manning is expected to be released by March 8th", I just rather avoid it. And I realize the irony is that with this post, I am doing the same thing.

I just don't get it. I see no evidence that Irsay has ever said he is releasing Manning. In fact, he has said at least twice that if Peyton is healthy, he is the Colts QB next year. But that seems to be ignored by the insiders. This forum is the only place where there is some sanity.

And I think it is wrong to compare Manning's situation to Montana or Unitas. They were both traded at the end of their career. They weren't cut. Irsay will never live it down if he were to cut Peyton. I realize it is business, but business is also PR as well. You don't take a guy who has basically made your Indy franchise, he gets injured getting beat up for you, and then cut him because you have a cheaper alternative.

I will laugh my head off when Irsay and Manning move to date back and then announce Peyton is ready to go with a restructured incentive based contract and Luck is drafted.

yeah, I agree.

For example, heres a quote from NFL.com today - "It's only a matter of time before Peyton Manning hits the open market in free agency"

Says who!?

I think Irsay made those emotional statements before he fully realized the salary cap and cash ramifications that keeping Manning and then drafting Luck will actually take.

No smoke without fire. Sorry........although I agree with the sentiment.

There's no smoke, just a boy who cries wolf everyday. He gets away with it because the wolf wont get here till March 8.

Top story I saw on nfl.com yesterday...."Jerry Jones interested in Manning?" Heck, it's still listed on the headlines to the right.

What's next, Peyton was found eating Apple Jacks instead of Frosted Flakes during his morning routine, which is the defining indication that he's heading out of Indy?

Peyton and the Cowboys...that'd be a live nightmare for me...

What is considered healthy to Irsay maybe different than what you consider healthy.

What a franchise quarterback needs to demonstrate in order to be considered healthy maybe different than what you or I need to demonstrate before being considered healthy.

I think Irsay made those emotional statements before he fully realized the salary cap and cash ramifications that keeping Manning and then drafting Luck will actually take.

I have to disagree. Irsay is a very intelligent individual...he knew what he was getting into with the Manning contract (he played a major role in getting it done), has to have been thinking about what to do with that number #1 pick and the option bonus since about week 8. To say that he was just saying that he will keep PM and draft AL without completely realizing the implications of the decision is crazy. I mean, if we have all sat around for months discussing the cap implications of this decision, why in the world would you think Irsay hadn't?

Now granted, the emotional side may have shifted a little away from PM over the last few weeks, but Irsay has been consistent with the Colts will draft a QB and PM will be a Colt if healthy. I think the definition of "healthy" is where the keeping PM issue is murky.

I have to disagree. Irsay is a very intelligent individual...he knew what he was getting into with the Manning contract (he played a major role in getting it done), has to have been thinking about what to do with that number #1 pick and the option bonus since about week 8. To say that he was just saying that he will keep PM and draft AL without completely realizing the implications of the decision is crazy. I mean, if we have all sat around for months discussing the cap implications of this decision, why in the world would you think Irsay hadn't?

Now granted, the emotional side may have shifted a little away from PM over the last few weeks, but Irsay has been consistent with the Colts will draft a QB and PM will be a Colt if healthy. I think the definition of "healthy" is where the keeping PM issue is murky.

I just see him as an emotional man, and while paying 28 million for him might not be an issue, or paying both 51 million for 2012 might not be an issue, I'm not sure if he was as well versed in the cap ramifications when he was making such bold statements. It seems that his stance changed, and that might have come with more knowledge of what can happen with various scenarios.

Yes his health is murky, and will be Irsay's crutch in this whether Manning returns and lights up the scoreboard or fades into retirement somewhere else.

I think Manning will either have to be nearly 100% performance wise or he will have to be willing to write up a new, less risky contract. With his current contract it would almost be impossible to cut him after the option is paid. FireJim has wrote some very informative post about how that would kill the salary cap.

I think Manning will either have to be nearly 100% performance wise or he will have to be willing to write up a new, less risky contract. With his current contract it would almost be impossible to cut him after the option is paid. FireJim has wrote some very informative post about how that would kill the salary cap.

Totally agree, and that's why the decision isn't just Irsay's: if PM really wants to remain a Colt (like he says), he needs work with Irsay a little. It is going to be a collaborative decision and both sides need to be flexible and give a little if PM is going to be on the roster in 2012 and beyond.

No smoke without fire. Sorry........although I agree with the sentiment.

As cute as that statement is, it doesn't mean anything. We aren't talking about non-sentient cell destruction by result of a heat inducing chemical reaction. We are talking about the media; a media full of commentators whose job(s) include expressing their opinion, and making something from nothing. So there can be plenty of smoke without a fire. It's called smoke and mirrors.

I would wager he was aware of this last off-season. At least more aware than you and I put together.

I would wager he was aware of this last off-season. At least more aware than you and I put together.

I don't think Andrew Luck was a blip on his imagination last off-season or the contract as structured would have never been signed. I think with an 0-4 start and Manning's return not very likely was when Luck started to blink into Irsay's mind.

I just see him as an emotional man, and while paying 28 million for him might not be an issue, or paying both 51 million for 2012 might not be an issue, I'm not sure if he was as well versed in the cap ramifications when he was making such bold statements. It seems that his stance changed, and that might have come with more knowledge of what can happen with various scenarios.

Yes his health is murky, and will be Irsay's crutch in this whether Manning returns and lights up the scoreboard or fades into retirement somewhere else.

He is emotional, but that doesn't mean he is not on top of his business. I still have to believe that Irsay has completely understood the salary cap ramifications for months--even since the contract was signed. No one thought PM was going to be this injured but all parties knew he wasn't healthy when he inked the deal, meaning there was an increased risk for earlier than expected retirement, cut, trade. Also, there are a team of front office people crunching these numbers on a consistent basis. If you and your bro can be so on top of it, then what logical reason is there to think that Irsay wasn't/isn't? We can agree to disagree on this...it is all speculation on both our parts anyways.

I think Jim is truly concerned, on an emotional level, that PM isn't/never will be 100%, and in turn, that has an impact on the business side of the decision.

More on topic: I too am sick of all the speculation that PM is done with the Colts being couched as fact, and yes, it is ironic that we are speculating in a thread about being tired of speculation.

He is emotional, but that doesn't mean he is not on top of his business. I still have to believe that Irsay has completely understood the salary cap ramifications for months--even since the contract was signed. No one thought PM was going to be this injured but all parties knew he wasn't healthy when he inked the deal, meaning there was an increased risk for earlier than expected retirement, cut, trade. Also, there are a team of front office people crunching these numbers on a consistent basis. If you and your bro can be so on top of it, then what logical reason is there to think that Irsay wasn't/isn't? We can agree to disagree on this...it is all speculation on both our parts anyways.

I think Jim is truly concerned, on an emotional level, that PM isn't/never will be 100%, and in turn, that has an impact on the business side of the decision.

More on topic: I too am sick of all the speculation that PM is done with the Colts being couched as fact, and yes, it is ironic that we are speculating in a thread about being tired of speculation.

I'm not saying he's clueless, I just don't think he could until later on, just fully discuss and break it down for some friend like say Rob Lowe or what have you until the likelihood of the #1 pick was increased.

I don't find having Manning & Luck on the roster feasible or tenable with the option bonus being paid. It makes zero business sense to do so. There are too many variables at play. The sound decision is to release Manning, draft Luck, and if Manning works out a new deal then so be it. To me it would have to be one or the other for it to be sound. One can argue 5 years of Manning vs 10+ with Luck, and both sides have fair arguments, but I do not vision a world where both are on the roster. I feel one or both of the QB's would have issues with if the blunt truth were to be told, and there are obvious cap issues and cash issues as well.

I don't find having Manning & Luck on the roster feasible or tenable with the option bonus being paid. It makes zero business sense to do so. There are too many variables at play. The sound decision is to release Manning, draft Luck, and if Manning works out a new deal then so be it. To me it would have to be one or the other for it to be sound. One can argue 5 years of Manning vs 10+ with Luck, and both sides have fair arguments, but I do not vision a world where both are on the roster. I feel one or both of the QB's would have issues with if the blunt truth were to be told, and there are obvious cap issues and cash issues as well.

There's rationality/logic and emotion, and Irsay and Manning will make this decision with some sort of combination of the two. I can say with confidence that rationality/logic will be in the majority but not to what extent. The extent that emotion plays in the decision greatly impacts whether or not PM is on the roster.

Speculation is fine as long as its presented that way and we shouldn't just run with the rumors and think the worst of people.

Speculation is fine as long as its presented that way and we shouldn't just run with the rumors and think the worst of people.

So I shouldn't start a manning to kc thread because pft just put up a story that kc hired someone with connections to Manning? For the record I am joking. Well about the thread part the story about kc is real and my first reaction was other than kc hiring someone this is not news.

Sheesh, I have to assume that everyone's TV-watching / Internet surfing / Newspaper-reading experience is exactly like this:

alex_scream.jpg

Just WALK AWAY. Unless you've been a bad boy and are confined to the stripey-hole, like poor Alex here.

I'm not saying he's clueless, I just don't think he could until later on, just fully discuss and break it down for some friend like say Rob Lowe or what have you until the likelihood of the #1 pick was increased.

How? If Manning is healthy and is able to play (disregarding the possiblity they could restructure his deal) and he is paid the 28 million, how does it make zero business sense? IF anything its the smartest thing to do ontop of drafting Luck. You are insuring your business can have the next 10-15 years of success with a very minimal building phase (Manning being there for 2-3 years while Luck learns insures the team has moderate/good success till that time comes for Luck to take over). Manning being on the roster with Luck this year coming year will be essentially the same thing as last year with Painter/Collins and Orlovsky on the roster. Collins was paid nearly 4 mill to ride the bench in the same way Luck would this year. Only difference is Luck is an investment coupled with an insurance policy while Collins was in essence a crappy savings account that yielded .1% interest.

Remember Irsay made alot of those comments before he realized not having 18 would lead to utter chaos hit. Having the worst record and earning the first pick were the two things Irsay expected least likely to happen when September rolled around last year, and with that, things changed.

How? If Manning is healthy and is able to play (disregarding the possiblity they could restructure his deal) and he is paid the 28 million, how does it make zero business sense? IF anything its the smartest thing to do ontop of drafting Luck. You are insuring your business can have the next 10-15 years of success with a very minimal building phase (Manning being there for 2-3 years while Luck learns insures the team has moderate/good success till that time comes for Luck to take over). Manning being on the roster with Luck this year coming year will be essentially the same thing as last year with Painter/Collins and Orlovsky on the roster. Collins was paid nearly 4 mill to ride the bench in the same way Luck would this year. Only difference is Luck is an investment coupled with an insurance policy while Collins was in essence a crappy savings account that yielded .1% interest.

I don't believe they can restructure his deal but that is beside the fact.

The cause and effect of the option bonus doesn't merit it being paid. If it is paid certain events have to happen for it to be "affordable", or to not have negative salary cap ramifications. For those to happen, I do not see Andrew Luck willing to agree to it.

It's just not a sound business decision. We would have one of the top 2 highest paid starter, and the highest paid backup QB.

In 2011 Colts QB's had cap hits of 19.8 million

In 2012 Colts QB's will have a projected cap hit of 22.4-22.8 or more depending on if there is a QB3 on the roster.

Luck will not want to sit for the 2-3 years. Manning will not want Luck being drafted, and would prefer the pick used on a player that plays, or traded in a package that yields even more players that can contribute to the team.

Yeah from a Maddenesque world, it would be nice having Luck as an insurance policy.

They can give him an all-new deal if they let him walk on March 8th and resign him the next morning.

The cause and effect of the option bonus doesn't merit it being paid. If it is paid certain events have to happen for it to be "affordable", or to not have negative salary cap ramifications. For those to happen, I do not see Andrew Luck willing to agree to it.

What certain events? Luck can still get the same amount of money with Peyton being here and if he wasn't. No substance here.

It's just not a sound business decision. We would have one of the top 2 highest paid starter, and the highest paid backup QB.

In 2012 Colts QB's will have a projected cap hit of 22.4-22.8 or more depending on if there is a QB3 on the roster.

Like I said, we essentially the same thing last year and still fielded a talented team except for in the most important position in the game today. That will be different next year.

Luck will not want to sit for the 2-3 years. Manning will not want Luck being drafted, and would prefer the pick used on a player that plays, or traded in a package that yields even more players that can contribute to the team.

Luck has said he is willing to come in and sit. Now while he didn't place a timetable on how long he'd want to sit, I'd assume he'd be fine with sitting behind his "middle school hero" for 2-3 years. You love to throw out cap figures but you don't seem to account for the fact that signing players coming from ADDITIONAL draft picks will cost ADDITIONAL money. Not to mention a lot of these players couldn't be real impact contributors for another few years anyway. By then, Peyton will be close to being, if not already done.

Yeah from a Maddenesque world, it would be nice having Luck as an insurance policy.

1 ) Yes, they can, it will still cost more than the same contract with any other team, but yes they can, but the post was based on payment of the 28million.

2 ) Again based on the premise of the 28 million being paid, and the events would be the cap ramifications if Manning weren't to complete the deal, meaning, cut/traded/retiring at any point in 2012-2015. Which is part of the reason it makes zero sense. Even with a new deal it doesn't make a lot of sense, but makes more than the 28 million scenario.

3 ) Considering everything (positions/free agents) we are being faced with, that 2.5-3% difference might be needed.

4 ) Luck has made that statement, but I doubt that is the blunt truth.

Yes I realize that additional draft picks would cost additional money. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Hypothetically a lot of people have argued for trading # 1, to Cleveland for at least their 4 & 23 pick.

Last year those picks would have been A.J Green and Anthony Castonzo

Total cap hit over their contracts: 27.7

Cam Newton will earn roughly 22 Million.

Assuming slight increases the 4 & 23 2012 combo will earn more than the #1, but if Manning returns and is healthy, Luck's contribution will be very limited.

Again, that is just a hypothetical based on one of the potential deals people have lobbied for as an alternative.

Those players would have more of an impact than a player that likely won't see much playing time outside of mop up duty.

As cute as that statement is, it doesn't mean anything. We aren't talking about non-sentient cell destruction by result of a heat inducing chemical reaction. We are talking about the media; a media full of commentators whose job(s) include expressing their opinion, and making something from nothing. So there can be plenty of smoke without a fire. It's called smoke and mirrors.

Yep. You are right. It's only the media that have turned this into a 'story'. Your Manning bias is clouding your judgement. Now ain't that cute....

1 ) Yes, they can, it will still cost more than the same contract with any other team, but yes they can, but the post was based on payment of the 28million.

They can restructure and how do you know that? We know how the Redskins love to dish out money. I'm willing to bet they would dish out just as much, if not more cash for Peyton than the Colts would per that scenario

2 ) Again based on the premise of the 28 million being paid, and the events would be the cap ramifications if Manning weren't to complete the deal, meaning, cut/traded/retiring at any point in 2012-2015. Which is part of the reason it makes zero sense. Even with a new deal it doesn't make a lot of sense, but makes more than the 28 million scenario.

Thats not what we are saying here. I'm saying he is healthy for the deadline and signs the deal. And remember the years 4-5 were option years on the current contract. Even with that I highly doubt that the current contract WOULDNT be ammended in some sort of fashion.

3 ) Considering everything (positions/free agents) we are being faced with, that 2.5-3% difference might be needed.

Turnover happens all the time. Players who are under contract now may inevitably be cut and players who are free agents may walk while others will be resigned. You and I aren't capologists so lets please try to stay away from the "who gets cut/signed/traded" in terms of cap percentages because they are so many variables for all those players. Peyton is the exception here as its what we are talking about.

4 ) Luck has made that statement, but I doubt that is the blunt truth.

I really don't know what else to tell you. If you can't take a players word than I dont know what else to tell you. For a while people were saying "OH LUCK HASNT SAID HE'D BE WILLING TO SIT BEHIND PEYTON THERES NO WAY HE WILL!1111". Then when he comes out and says he's willing to, people wanna say "oh well thats not what hes REALLY saying". Come on man.

Yes I realize that additional draft picks would cost additional money. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Really? Then how in the world can you think it'd be a better "money business" choice if its going to cost more to trade and get more picks than it would be to keep the pick and get Luck?

Hypothetically a lot of people have argued for trading # 1, to Cleveland for at least their 4 & 23 pick.

Last year those picks would have been A.J Green and Anthony Castonzo

Total cap hit over their contracts: 27.7

Cam Newton will earn roughly 22 Million.

So an additional 5 million, hmmmm. Doesn't seem to fit too well with your additonal 2.5-3% we'd need.

Assuming slight increases the 4 & 23 2012 combo will earn more than the #1, but if Manning returns and is healthy, Luck's contribution will be very limited.

The point in drafting him isn't for him to contribute right away. It's an investment and insurance policy, something we clearly lacked last year.

Again, that is just a hypothetical based on one of the potential deals people have lobbied for as an alternative.

Those players would have more of an impact than a player that likely won't see much playing time outside of mop up duty.

My question to you is, if we release Peyton and trade the pick, who do you take? Mike Vick 3? Another late round QB? Give me Pey-Luck.

I would be shocked if Irsay doesn't take Luck with the #1 pick, that's pretty much the only certainty in this whole situation. How Manning will play into this is yet to be seen. Can he get healthy enough, is he still with the Colts, will it be for less money, will it be for x number of years? Who knows, we get to play the waiting game. Irsay said numerous times before Peyton's contract got signed last year that he WANTED to make Manning the highest paid player in the league. I think he is now regretting being so vocal and so liberal with the money to Peyton because it's coming back to bite him in the behind. Nobody knew this was how things were going to pan out, and now that it has gone this way it's a huge mess and Irsay has dug a pretty sizable hole to get himself out of. How Irsay goes about getting out of this hole will be interesting to watch. Will it be a cheaper better sound (at least from the Colt's POV) contract with PM? Will it be parting ways with PM altogether? Will it be severing contracts and relationships with other players? Who knows?????

They can restructure and how do you know that? We know how the Redskins love to dish out money. I'm willing to bet they would dish out just as much, if not more cash for Peyton than the Colts would per that scenario

In my opinion they cannot restructure the contract as it is in its current state. Releasing him and signing a new deal is an entirely different situation. What I said was and I quote “it will still cost more than the same contract with any other team” Translation: If we release him he counts 10.4 against our cap right off the bat. If he signed a deal that was 3 years 6 million each year in base salaries and incentives(not happening by the way, but using it as an example), his cap hit here would be 16.4 for 2012, and would be 6 million in Miami, or Washington, or any of the other 29 NFL teams. Yes a team could be willing to pay more than the Colts would be, but that doesn’t change the fact that if the Colts would agree to the same terms as whatever team offers him a contract, 10.4 million will be added to the 2012 cap hit, thus making it higher than any other team.

Thats not what we are saying here. I'm saying he is healthy for the deadline and signs the deal. And remember the years 4-5 were option years on the current contract. Even with that I highly doubt that the current contract WOULDNT be ammended in some sort of fashion.

That is what I was saying, which seems was misinterpreted. Based on your hypothetical assumption and the option bonus is picked up, the same potential cap ramifications are set in stone and there isn’t a way to restructure it to prevent those if he were to be cut/released/retires, which goes back to the picking up the option is not a sound business deal. Not sure what you mean by years 4-5 so I can’t comment on that. The only thing after the option bonus is due that Manning could do to adjust his contract would be to lower his base salaries, which would only lower the cap hit for any given year, but if the option bonus is paid, then the salary cap issues of trading/releasing him are still on the table and can’t go away.

Turnover happens all the time. Players who are under contract now may inevitably be cut and players who are free agents may walk while others will be resigned. You and I aren't capologists so lets please try to stay away from the "who gets cut/signed/traded" in terms of cap percentages because they are so many variables for all those players. Peyton is the exception here as its what we are talking about.

You might not understand the salary cap, but I have a fairly good grasp of what happens to any given player for various scenarios, but I have not had time to crunch the #’s of the whole roster, but have for a number of players.

I really don't know what else to tell you. If you can't take a players word than I dont know what else to tell you. For a while people were saying "OH LUCK HASNT SAID HE'D BE WILLING TO SIT BEHIND PEYTON THERES NO WAY HE WILL!1111". Then when he comes out and says he's willing to, people wanna say "oh well thats not what hes REALLY saying". Come on man.

It’s called being politically correct. Not many athletes are brutally honest. Manning sure isn’t. I wouldn’t want to sit for 3-4 years if I were him. Manning didn’t want to sit coming out of UT, and while he might be willing to sit, I doubt that he wants to. Big difference.

Really? Then how in the world can you think it'd be a better "money business" choice if its going to cost more to trade and get more picks than it would be to keep the pick and get Luck?

It’s called those picks would be of players at different positions and again, that was a hypothetical used by various people arguing for trading the pick and I used it as an example. It would depend on the players that were available, but there are scenarios that 4 & 23 would be more advantageous even if more expensive than the #1 pick. Just like paying Andre Johnson & Calvin Johnson a combined 18 million would be more expensive than paying Collie and Gonzalez 5. It costs more money, but you are likely going to get far better results.

So an additional 5 million, hmmmm. Doesn't seem to fit too well with your additonal 2.5-3% we'd need.

Again, that 5 million isn’t sitting the bench, or as an insurance policy at best. It’s about allocating resources.

The point in drafting him isn't for him to contribute right away. It's an investment and insurance policy, something we clearly lacked last year.

Of course it’s an investment and we did lack it last year, I’m just saying that we would be better suited drafting Luck and playing him as opposed to tying up so much money in the QB position with only one playing. One alternative to that would be keeping Manning and making a different draft selection or a trade for a package.

My question to you is, if we release Peyton and trade the pick, who do you take? Mike Vick 3? Another late round QB? Give me Pey-Luck.

At this point I wouldn't consider that as a viable option.

I normally get up everyday and check all my Colts links to get my fill of Colt news a few times a day. But I have to admit that since the weekly "XXXXX is interested in Manning" or "Manning is expected to be released by March 8th", I just rather avoid it. And I realize the irony is that with this post, I am doing the same thing.

I just don't get it. I see no evidence that Irsay has ever said he is releasing Manning. In fact, he has said at least twice that if Peyton is healthy, he is the Colts QB next year. But that seems to be ignored by the insiders. This forum is the only place where there is some sanity.

And I think it is wrong to compare Manning's situation to Montana or Unitas. They were both traded at the end of their career. They weren't cut. Irsay will never live it down if he were to cut Peyton. I realize it is business, but business is also PR as well. You don't take a guy who has basically made your Indy franchise, he gets injured getting beat up for you, and then cut him because you have a cheaper alternative.

I will laugh my head off when Irsay and Manning move to date back and then announce Peyton is ready to go with a restructured incentive based contract and Luck is drafted.

dont take what im going to say as an insult because its not....and not that i dont agree with you, but neither one of them had an injury like peyton either. and if they did i bet they would have been cut too. not to mention back then unitas wasnt making 90 million dollars in a 5 year contract

and peyton more then likely wont agree to an extension because if they extend the deadline then that leaves the colts wide open to try to trade him, or just cut him outright and get nothing in return. and i highly doubt he will take a 1 or 2 year contract from the COLTS with incentives, not when he can have his option picked up by the team and get payed twice as much with out incentives. its just not likely. yeah he said he would but it wasnt directed at the colts it was directed at every team in general and thats to protect that team from making a mistake. sorry but im already prepared for a non manning colts team. i seen it coming when they said he signed a contract with a roster option of 28 million that could be picked up in march.

as far as reporters go they dont know what their talking about and until i hear manning and irsay say otherwise i dont believe in anything writers put. i could easily write a story and say Adam V. saw him practicing yesterday and he was throwin 60 yard passes with zip on it across his body. just to try to stir up fans. or say Manning wants to join the Ravens for a chance to win a superbowl.

and sorry to say but i dont think the colts have any better of a chance to win with manning then they do with out manning. there is just to many holes on the team including the offensive line. the defense was horrible last year, even if manning was playing this past season, i doubt they would have made it to the super bowl. not with that defense, its just my opinion. again im not saying i dont agree with what your saying, id love to see manning back but its time to move on with out him. im a fan of the colts first and a fan of manning second

Can someone explain why Manning would want to stay with the team using football reasons?

The # 1 reason I would say that he would prefer the Colts use the #1 pick on a player that would play or trade it for a package of draft picks that could contribute as opposed to having the #1 pick used on a back up who will have 1/4th of the fan base screaming for with Manning's first interception.

Can someone explain why Manning would want to stay with the team using football reasons?

to be honest there is no reason why he would except to retire a colt. I have never attatched myself to a player as i am a colts fan first and a fan of a player second but to be honest even with manning the colts wont win a superbowl, not with the holes they have. they couldnt stop the run, they couldnt even stop the pass. what i believe is going to happen is this.....

Manning will be released

Wayne will sign with another team

Garcon will be either franchise tagged or sign a small deal

saturday will retire

luck will be drafted

sunday will be a different colts team on the field and not one with manning

The # 1 reason I would say that he would prefer the Colts use the #1 pick on a player that would play or trade it for a package of draft picks that could contribute as opposed to having the #1 pick used on a back up who will have 1/4th of the fan base screaming for with Manning's first interception.

Let's assume we're taking a QB #1 and he knows that.

What football reasons would he have for wanting to stay?

exactly and with irsay already stating with out a doubt that he is taking a QB with the first pick so that goes to say that if manning dont want to have a QB drafted oh well suck it up or their going to cut him anyway....

people fail to realize this team was built around manning. it wasnt built for life with out manning as we have seen the previous season. and us fans have polian to thank on that part. thats why its better to just let him go or get him to agree to extend the deadline to work out a trade possibility to a team of his choice.

there is no reason for him to stay at all. even with him the colts wont win a superbowl with him. the defense is horrible there is to many holes on that team that need to be addressed before they make another run for one. and keeping him kills all hopes in signing a free agent to fill one of those needs.

I think it's pretty clear this goes beyond football reasons on both sides. Manning hates nothing more than change and you can't get a bigger change than going to a new team or new city, he also values wanting to play for one team for his career. No those aren't football reasons but you are kidding yourself if you don't think those don't mean something to Peyton when he is looking at this. Sure from a football stand point staying here doesn't make a lot of sense but you know what if you look at the Arizona, Seattle, Miami, and Washington's recent football moves going there doesn't make a lot of sense either. It's not like any of those teams would be thought of as a NFL powerhouse. If a team like the Ravens or 49ers were really interested in him then it would probably make some sense from a football standpoint but they aren't (if you believe the reports about Harbaugh being truly committed to Alex Smith). The Jets are the wildcard team in this because from a talent wise they do make sense. With that said I am not sure if Peyton is going to want to put up with the soap opera that the Jets are and I honestly believe Mort when he says Peyton doesn't want to play in the same city as his brother.