Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking for answers


Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes

Recommended Posts

Does anyone believe Luck's return will turn the ship around to the point we are in SB contention?

Was Sunday an anomaly or are we as bad as it looked?

Is it inferior talent or bad coaching/preparation on all levels? Both?

Since Pagano started, he pretty much blames every loss on himself.  How many of us would keep a job if with every mistake we make we freely admitted we were at fault?

Like me, was everyone fooled with an 11-5 team in 2012, thinking we had the talent to get to the next level?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Does anyone believe Luck's return will turn the ship around to the point we are in SB contention?

Was Sunday an anomaly or are we as bad as it looked?

Is it inferior talent or bad coaching/preparation on all levels? Both?

Since Pagano started, he pretty much blames every loss on himself.  How many of us would keep a job if with every mistake we make we freely admitted we were at fault?

Like me, was everyone fooled with an 11-5 team in 2012, thinking we had the talent to get to the next level?

 

 

poor talent almost everywhere, most of our starters  could not start on the top teams, and not sure the coaches   make the scheme to fit the talent, luck cant make a lot of difference

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck is the cornerstone of this team. Without him, we aren't much. With him, our offense clicks and we have a fight in any game. I admit, our D-Line looks much improved. Inside linebackers look a little shaky. Corners aren't impressive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Luck, we can convert third downs to 1st downs. We were 0-10 on third downs last week, which led to the defense being on the field nearly the entire game -- which led to them tiring out.

 

With Luck, the Colts can control the ball on offense. The passing game will be much improved, which in-turn will open up the run game. Luck will score points on offense and allow the defense to play up to their potential. Sure, there will still be issues, but the team overall will be dramatically improved just with the addition of Luck in the lineup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are an 8-8 team two years running that replaced nonimpact veterans with other nonimpact veterans and drafted a first round pick who has been unable to contribute as much as you would like, so the team has not been upgraded a whole lot this year.   It may be different towards the end of the season when the lower round draft picks gain enough experience to contribute. 

 

Coupled to the fact that we have suffered some injuries to key starters, and traded some depth at the WR position, I think it would be a stretch to assume we will have a better record than the previous two years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

With Luck, we can convert third downs to 1st downs. We were 0-10 on third downs last week, which led to the defense being on the field nearly the entire game -- which led to them tiring out.

 

With Luck, the Colts can control the ball on offense. The passing game will be much improved, which in-turn will open up the run game. Luck will score points on offense and allow the defense to play up to their potential. Sure, there will still be issues, but the team overall will be dramatically improved just with the addition of Luck in the lineup.

 

Time of possession wasn't as bad as I thought it was, only 25/35. Any disadvantage hurts, of course, especially when you're wearing dark blue in 90 degree heat. 

 

They definitely failed to establish any rhythm, and something that's probably lost in the TOP stat is that the defense didn't get a chance to rest for very long, almost ever. Our offensive possessions were all so short, and then the Rams went up tempo at times, so the defense did get worn out more than the TOP indicates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DougDew said:

We are an 8-8 team two years running that replaced nonimpact veterans with other nonimpact veterans and drafted a first round pick who has been unable to contribute as much as you would like, so the team has not been upgraded a whole lot this year.   It may be different towards the end of the season when the lower round draft picks gain enough experience to contribute. 

 

Coupled to the fact that we have suffered some injuries to key starters, and traded some depth at the WR position, I think it would be a stretch to assume we will have a better record than the previous two years.

Hooker has played one week.   It's not unusual for a first rounder to be eased  into the lineup

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Time of possession wasn't as bad as I thought it was, only 25/35. Any disadvantage hurts, of course, especially when you're wearing dark blue in 90 degree heat. 

 

They definitely failed to establish any rhythm, and something that's probably lost in the TOP stat is that the defense didn't get a chance to rest for very long, almost ever. Our offensive possessions were all so short, and then the Rams went up tempo at times, so the defense did get worn out more than the TOP indicates.

 

Ehhh.. you forgot that we had 2 pick 6's. Considering that ....25-35 is a very bad ratio. But maybe you mean you thought the defense was on the field more than 35 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Does anyone believe Luck's return will turn the ship around to the point we are in SB contention?

Was Sunday an anomaly or are we as bad as it looked?

Is it inferior talent or bad coaching/preparation on all levels? Both?

Since Pagano started, he pretty much blames every loss on himself.  How many of us would keep a job if with every mistake we make we freely admitted we were at fault?

Like me, was everyone fooled with an 11-5 team in 2012, thinking we had the talent to get to the next level?

 

 

 

SB Contention -No  , Can he help raise the level of play of those around him on offense  Yes   

 

But he does'nt play defense .  

 

The Colts are as Dennis Green once said " They are who we thought they were " 

While Homers such as my self held out hope deep down I realized this season would be tough after the Rams game & watching the defense just get shredded was hard to watch IMO its all about the coaching / preparation 

 

Pagano has got to go the Colts needed a fresh start , Grigson was only half the problem . 

 

Yes many of us drank the Kool- Aid but came to realize what we were looking at was fools gold . 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

Ehhh.. you forgot that we had 2 pick 6's. Considering that ....25-35 is a very bad ratio. But maybe you mean you thought the defense was on the field more than 35 minutes.

 

The defense didn't take the field after those pick 6's; that was the most sustained rest the defense got all game. 

 

What I meant was that, based on the way the game went and the fact the Rams ran 15 more offensive plays than us (and I thought the disparity was greater than that), I thought they dominated TOP more than they actually did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, this is sheer speculation, but I believe that the organization has a problem with its culture, identity, environment, whatever you want to call it.  I'm not sure.  I believe that Dungy gave the players a lot of confidence in him and his leadership.  Obviously it helped having Manning as the QB.

 

Luck has been hurt much of his career.  Also the inconsistency with players (esp O-line) and coaching has hurt.   

 

The team seems confused and manhandled on the field.  They're strong athletes but they don't seem cohesive.  

 

I do like what I'm seeing from the D.  I realize they let LA (I almost said St. Louis) hang all those points on them, but I believe that they were exhausted by the middle of the second quarter.  

 

The O-line looks patched....it is.  Like they've hired mercenaries to put together a disciplined and unified army.  Tolzien looks as if he's trying to do an Aaron Rodgers impression behind our O-line.  I also think that if Luck could release the ball faster it would cut down on injuries.    I liked what I saw from Mack but I'm not sure why Moncrief was ignored by Tolzien.  They may not have used him as much; I'm not sure.  

 

I think the problems are fixable and can be at least improved upon during this season.  It will take some time, though.

 

Anyway, just my two cents.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget who we are missing besides Luck: Vontae Davis, Erik Swoope, Clayton Geathers, Ryan Kelly. All of the 5 named players are huge impacts for this team. Imagine another team without their franchise QB, stud corner and safety, deep TE threat, and starting safety, who has in the box talent. 

 

We have improved I believe, our secondary needs time to improve, and that may not be this year sadly. I still will be on this ride the whole rest of the 16 weeks of the regular season

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Luck is the cornerstone of this team. Without him, we aren't much. With him, our offense clicks and we have a fight in any game. I admit, our D-Line looks much improved. Inside linebackers look a little shaky. Corners aren't impressive.

What I find amusing is that our head coaches specialty was the secondary and what our defensive coordinators specialty was linebackers.  The two most screwed up things about our defense is the secondary and the linebackers.  Imagine that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Does anyone believe Luck's return will turn the ship around to the point we are in SB contention?

Was Sunday an anomaly or are we as bad as it looked?

Is it inferior talent or bad coaching/preparation on all levels? Both?

Since Pagano started, he pretty much blames every loss on himself.  How many of us would keep a job if with every mistake we make we freely admitted we were at fault?

Like me, was everyone fooled with an 11-5 team in 2012, thinking we had the talent to get to the next level?

 

 

No. Over-reliance on Andrew Luck to be the hero is a major part of the problem.

16 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

poor talent almost everywhere, most of our starters  could not start on the top teams, and not sure the coaches   make the scheme to fit the talent, luck cant make a lot of difference

In light of very poor performance, it is hard to evaluate talent. My concern is that whatever talent we have isn't being properly developed, and the lack of a cohesive winning strategy and implementation is the problem. 

I've heard the "lack of talent" rant for years, but I've also seen players who didn't perform well with the Colts go to other teams and perform well. Fans will believe what they want to believe. Unfortunately, coaches will too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Albaby said:

What I find amusing is that our head coaches specialty was the secondary and what our defensive coordinators specialty was linebackers.  The two most screwed up things about our defense is the secondary and the linebackers.  Imagine that!

 

Yep, no argument there. I know Chuck was working specifically with the defense during training camp the last 2 seasons. Haven't seen a ton of improvement but then again, the drafts haven't been that great and we're lacking talent. We just have "regular" ol guys out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be wearing the rose colored specs, but I think it takes more than one week of real football for a defense to gel together.  No matter how good or bad the personnel.

 

As far as the O, yes Luck makes the team better. Tolzien makes the team worse.  So, we're somwhere in that range and won't know where until he gets back.  

 

As as far as coaching, if we're competitive Sunday then they're doing okay.  If we get blown out again, it's on them.  Just my 2c's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even close to SB contention, and from the OP's post, that is a disappointment coming off 2012. But that just shows the missed opportunity we had with Grigson and poor drafts and FA signings. Our talent level decreased and fast. What talent we do have, and I agree with several who have posted, is just not coached, schemed or used effectively.

 

With a healthy Luck, Kelley, Davis- we are a better team, mainly I believe because of better leadership on the field. Making the calls, adjustments, etc. How much better, I don't know, but I don't think playoffs kind of better, not yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Time of possession wasn't as bad as I thought it was, only 25/35. Any disadvantage hurts, of course, especially when you're wearing dark blue in 90 degree heat. 

 

They definitely failed to establish any rhythm, and something that's probably lost in the TOP stat is that the defense didn't get a chance to rest for very long, almost ever. Our offensive possessions were all so short, and then the Rams went up tempo at times, so the defense did get worn out more than the TOP indicates.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Now there's an interesting  and novel excuse, dark blue uniforms contributed to the time of possession disadvantage.  Pagano would blame that on himself or would he blame the equipment manager?

 

Save it. I'm not offering any excuse for anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • You just basically repeated what I’ve been saying for weeks about Wisco.  Thanks.   beng from Wisco is a negative predicter of an effective nfl rusher too.   it is also my dispassionate analysis that this years line is quite. Bit better than the one Mack stated behind and that his 3.8 almost certainly would have been better with a better line.
    • Don’t be so emotional Estreet.  We are analyzing here.  I said right now.   I don’t understand why JT is getting the Brisett treatment this year.   the narrative in the echo chamber here is the line sucks, Reich sucks, rivers sucks, the receivers suck and that’s why we don’t run well.  seems far fetched.  JT will be a useful pro but I think he will have limitations and will need a complimentary back
    • A team could skip a year here and there...and of course it’s dependent on the draft class as well (especially for which round a WR is taken). But in the course of a 5-year stretch...it should take 4 early WRs picks to build a truly strong corps...unless the first 3 are all HRs...and then you decide to pay them.   But that’s pretty unlikely. Even PIT...who has a great trio...missed on a few. But by drafting so many WRs...they can potentially move on from JuJu...which will save a lot of cap space.   Of course there are also trades for established talent...so that would just replace the need to draft one for that given year...ala Hopkins in ARI.    I would consider WR to be 3 of the starting 22...if that team runs 1-1 sets 2/3 or greater of the time. But 4-5 are getting good snaps typically.    All of this is to say...WR is a position I value highly.     
    • The team doesn't deserve it though. Despite all these weaknesses you claim the Colts have the bottom line is the Colts are  4 - 2 and still in the race for the playoffs.   I know every single team has weaknesses and its how you adapt to those that make you a good team.   Not every team is gonna be in win now mode like the Bucs this year.    Ballard going after Rivers wasn't that! He saw a guy who could possibly be an overall upgrade over Brissett and went with it but also made upgrades in the draft that have been fantastic so far in Taylor and Blackmon. Pittman will return and catch up soon! Eason is developing well too for 21'    The point is Colts are making adjustments for the present as well as the future but sometimes the value takes time. Patience is the biggest key here. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...