Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need Rex Ryan as DC!!!!!!!

ColtsXNation6

I feel Rex could bring a tough ,nasty, blitzing, in your face type culture that we deserve. Ted just isn't the answer on the defensive side of the ball,  we need someone nasty that will coach this D up and have us feared and respected around the league. It's alot of football left so I'll stay positive and hopeful we can turn it around but if we don't then this off season I want Chuck and his entire staff gone.  Actually I them all gone regardless because as colts fans we deserve better on game day!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd respectfully disagree that Ryan would be an insta-fix on this defense. Historically he's done well when he's had players who fit his mould in terms of play style and personality and I'm not so sure we have many who fit the bill on our D. If you were looking for a quick turn around I guess the best candidate would have been Wade Phillips, shame he wasn't available in the offseason...

I'd speculate too that Pagano wouldn't sign off on bringing Ryan in.

5 hours ago, ColtsXNation6 said:

I feel Rex could bring a tough ,nasty, blitzing, in your face type culture that we deserve. Ted just isn't the answer on the defensive side of the ball,  we need someone nasty that will coach this D up and have us feared and respected around the league. It's alot of football left so I'll stay positive and hopeful we can turn it around but if we don't then this off season I want Chuck and his entire staff gone.  Actually I them all gone regardless because as colts fans we deserve better on game day!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTS

5 hours ago, ColtsXNation6 said:

No.

4 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Too bad we didn't snatched up Wade Phillips in the off season when he was available.  Painful outcome 46-9.

The Colts never had a chance at Wade.  He wanted to move to LA to be closer to his daughter.

Now to the topic of the thread:

Rex would be an excellent DC I personally would welcome him to the Colts.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'd respectfully disagree that Ryan would be an insta-fix on this defense. Historically he's done well when he's had players who fit his mould in terms of play style and personality and I'm not so sure we have many who fit the bill on our D. If you were looking for a quick turn around I guess the best candidate would have been Wade Phillips, shame he wasn't available in the offseason...

I'd speculate too that Pagano wouldn't sign off on bringing Ryan in.

I believe they coached together in Baltimore, so I don't think Pagano would be against bringing Ryan in.  While I think very highly of Ryan as a DC, I think the bigger issue on the defense is talent and injuries.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I believe they coached together in Baltimore, so I don't think Pagano would be against bringing Ryan in.  While I think very highly of Ryan as a DC, I think the bigger issue on the defense is talent and injuries.

Im sure they did and I don't think it would be any form of personality clash, more he idea of bringing another former HC in house when you're on the hot seat if you get me. Pure speculation on my part.

Coincidentally, I'm currently reading "Collison Low Crossers". Weirdly more interesting when you already know how it turns out long term.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Colts never had a chance at Wade.  He wanted to move to LA to be closer to his daughter.

Now to the topic of the thread:

Rex would be an excellent DC I personally would welcome him to the Colts.

Yes, as long as we get a HC that Rex respects, he would be an excellent DC. 

He was in front of the microphone way too much as a HC, that is where the issues came about. Very few were talking about Rex Ryan, the DC, as DC of the Ravens when they were winning playoff games on the road. He does game plan very well and is not all about blitzing. He will blitz when he needs to and rush four when he needs to. He will play good run D with a 2 man front and/or with a dime package. He was the only guy who beat the Patriots in Foxboro with Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, Edelman all healthy. He instructed his DEs like Jason Taylor etc. to be conscious every single snap to chip the TE hard before crashing on the QB and playing coverage while rushing 4 vs Brady. He played Peyton close too every time but somehow Peyton figured him out as the game went on. 

Ultimately, iff you give Rex the right weapons (like Jets with Cromartie and Revis at their prime, like Ravens with Ed Reed, Lewis and Ngata), he can increase the margin of error for your QB, hands down, and that is something no recent DC of the Colts has been able to do. I'd be scared more with Rob Ryan and his mad scientist approach to D than with Rex Ryan, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, as long as we get a HC that Rex respects, he would be an excellent DC. 

He was in front of the microphone way too much as a HC, that is where the issues came about. Very few were talking about Rex Ryan, the DC, as DC of the Ravens when they were winning playoff games on the road. He does game plan very well and is not all about blitzing. He will blitz when he needs to and rush four when he needs to. He will play good run D with a 2 man front and/or with a dime package. He was the only guy who beat the Patriots in Foxboro with Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, Edelman all healthy. He instructed his DEs like Jason Taylor etc. to be conscious every single snap to chip the TE hard before crashing on the QB and playing coverage while rushing 4 vs Brady. He played Peyton close too every time but somehow Peyton figured him out as the game went on. 

Ultimately, iff you give Rex the right weapons (like Jets with Cromartie and Revis at their prime, like Ravens with Ed Reed, Lewis and Ngata), he can increase the margin of error for your QB, hands down, and that is something no recent DC of the Colts has been able to do. 

Well stated.

8 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think Rex brings too much baggage and media attention for not a lot of return.  I cant see him and Pagano gelling as a team as two different personality types.

I would speculate Pagano will go at the end of this season and a new HC will want his own team.

Not this season , I feel we ride it out with what we have unless we look completely awful. But when Rex focuses as just a D coach I think he excels.

10 hours ago, ColtsXNation6 said:

I agree it is awful Ted plays way too much of that prevent me from winning defense.

I'm not sure about that. 

Rex was a good DC but his antics were just too much. Our defense is in shambles because of a lack of talent and injuries. I don't think we would automatically get better just because of more blitzing, that would open our defense up against better offenses in the league. We can't afford that.

I doubt that he'd want to go back to being a plain old DC, but I'd be all for it, as long as he doesn't touch the head coaching position, and his brother stays far away from Indy. He's put together some tremendous defenses over the years and has always been able to game plan for good teams like the Pats. Plus I would like to have an interesting character on the sidelines. Not that it helps win games or anything, but it'd be more fun to listen to him speak after games than the same old 'we just need to play better and control the controllables' shtick. 

59 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I doubt that he'd want to go back to being a plain old DC

True, although I was surprised Joe Philbin wanted to return as a positional o-line coach. Not even a head coach or OC... a positional coach, so you never know.

Wade Phillips was also a coach I was surprised who took a demotion as the Cowboys HC to DC, but I guess he feels he's too old.

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

True, although I was surprised Joe Philbin wanted to return as a positional o-line coach. Not even a head coach or OC... a positional coach, so you never know.

Wade Phillips was also a coach I was surprised who took a demotion as the Cowboys HC to DC, but I guess he feels he's too old.

Wade was a little different being older and not really a bombastic personality. Philbin didn't exactly enjoy much success as a head coach and also isn't a loudmouth blowhard that Rex is known for being. Rex strikes me as either a media guy or being a head coach for a title contender at this point in his life. Nobody would pay Joe Philbin to be a talking head and his coaching jobs would have been limited after Miami. 

49 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Fans want o compete with the likes of Belichick but would say no to Rex as a D.C.  Only in Indy........

This franchise has been in love with the nice guy staffing. I wouldnt mind him as a DC, at least he is creative and less predictable than our current DC. Sometimes i feel our coaches are going off of the coaching for dumbies book Coach Cline used in The Waterboy.

18 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I doubt that he'd want to go back to being a plain old DC, but I'd be all for it, as long as he doesn't touch the head coaching position, and his brother stays far away from Indy. He's put together some tremendous defenses over the years and has always been able to game plan for good teams like the Pats. Plus I would like to have an interesting character on the sidelines. Not that it helps win games or anything, but it'd be more fun to listen to him speak after games than the same old 'we just need to play better and control the controllables' shtick. 

Coaches do that all the time.  Just off the top of my head there is Crennel, Chud, Philbin, Mike Martz,  Mike Tice., even Bill Belichick, after being the HC of the Browns, became the defensive backs coach with the Patriots before moving on to the jets HC (twice).  Mike Singletary., my word the list goes on.

I would pass on Rex Ryan. While he is a better DC than TM I think the Colts biggest issue is lack of difference makers on defense.

I also prefer the Colts change their defensive philosophy. You can't consistently have a great offense and defense. Teams have to be intentional with how they build their rosters and the type of players they bring in.

Assuming Luck comes back to normal at some point I think you can count on one of the most productive offenses in the league. You can win with a defense that is average if that is the case.

I think it would be easier to build an average defense if the Colts moved to more of a Seattle/Atlanta type of defense. Seattle's defense is loaded and they have several key veterans but (generally speaking) I think that type of defense is easier for young players to be productive than it is the 3-4/hybrid scheme the Colts run. 

I'm not commenting on if Rex Ryan would be a good hire or not, IDK.

But Don't hold your breath on it. I don't ever remember the colts ever having a High Profile DC, or even a OC.

In fact Dungy was the only high profile HC we have had since Shula.

That's NOT the colts, that's not what they do.