Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison Or Hines Ward?

Dustin

Harrison or Ward  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which receiver would you rather have?

• Marvin Harrison
    • Hines Ward

Harrison's Records and Achievements- 8 time All-Pro, 2nd place in average receptions per season, 3rd most yards averaged a game throughout his career, 4th most tds in a decade, 2nd most yards in a decade, Single Season record for receptions with 143 (about 9 a game), most consecutive seasons with 5,6, 10,11,14 touchdown receptions.

To name a few.

What do you think the results of this would be in a Steelers forum?

Whos the QB?

What type of offense is the team running?

IDK This isn't a Steelers forum. I'm completely objective. I think that Jimmy Smith is/was a better receiver than Marvin Harrison so it's not like I'm being bias or anything.

What do you think the results of this would be in a Steelers forum?

Whos the QB?

What type of offense is the team running?

Your argument of "what offense was the team running" works against Ward too. He was in an obvious rushing offense, so less attention was paid to him when he was on the field. Marvin was doubled or tripled regularly, but Ward did not receive that attention. Everyone was stacking the box against the Steelers, so Ward was left to contend with less attention from the defense, yet he still did not produce as many yards, completions, or touchdowns (the main relevant WR statistics).

Your argument of "what offense was the team running" works against Ward too. He was in an obvious rushing offense, so less attention was paid to him when he was on the field. Marvin was doubled or tripled regularly, but Ward did not receive that attention. Everyone was stacking the box against the Steelers, so Ward was left to contend with less attention from the defense, yet he still did not produce as many yards, completions, or touchdowns (the main relevant WR statistics).

Whoa whoa whoa. Tripled? Come on now. Lets not get outta hand here.

I mentioned in another thread, Marvin played 2 less years, and still had over 400+ more balls thrown in his offense. More throws=More Stats. And one guys had Peyton throwing to him.

IDK This isn't a Steelers forum. I'm completely objective. I think that Jimmy Smith is/was a better receiver than Marvin Harrison so it's not like I'm being bias or anything.

You can be completely objective, that doesn't mean everyone else will. Surely you can see the how this poll would be biased.

Ahh Jimmy Smith, Im glad you brought him up, a prime example of how stats (although his are fairly fantastic given his circumstances) don't tell the whole story.

You can be completely objective, that doesn't mean everyone else will. Surely you can see the how this poll would be biased.

Ahh Jimmy Smith, Im glad you brought him up, a prime example of how stats (although his are fairly fantastic given his circumstances) don't tell the whole story.

Jimmy Smith was a monster. I think he should be a HoFer, but we know that wont happen.

Whoa whoa whoa. Tripled? Come on now. Lets not get outta hand here.

I mentioned in another thread, Marvin played 2 less years, and still had over 400+ more balls thrown in his offense. More throws=More Stats. And one guys had Peyton throwing to him.

I'm not saying he was tripled every play, but there were coaches who tried to stop Marvin with everything they had. I remember a few Texans games in particular (before they realised how to play defense), where Marvin would have a linebacker covering him underneath, a corner covering the outside, amd a safety covering any deep routes.

His offense had more passing attempts BECAUSE of his impact. Why run when you can throw a wicked slant to Marvin? He was one of the most dependable receivers in almost every year. His route running was superb, his hands were glue-covered football magnets, and his timing with Peyton was unmatched.

I understand that your argument is that Ward is a better FOOTBALL PLAYER, and I agree he was tougher. Marvin was, however, the better receiver by a wide margin.

I'm not saying he was tripled every play, but there were coaches who tried to stop Marvin with everything they had. I remember a few Texans games in particular (before they realised how to play defense), where Marvin would have a linebacker covering him underneath, a corner covering the outside, amd a safety covering any deep routes.

His offense had more passing attempts BECAUSE of his impact. Why run when you can throw a wicked slant to Marvin? He was one of the most dependable receivers in almost every year. His route running was superb, his hands were glue-covered football magnets, and his timing with Peyton was unmatched.

I understand that your argument is that Ward is a better FOOTBALL PLAYER, and I agree he was tougher. Marvin was, however, the better receiver by a wide margin.

Im not arguing any of that. None what so ever. Marvin was a better WR. But Ward played a more complete game. Something the Hall voters love. And he did it in Pitt. which carries ALOT more weight than it does nearly anywhere else. And Ward played better in big games.

Im not arguing any of that. None what so ever. Marvin was a better WR. But Ward played a more complete game. Something the Hall voters love. And he did it in Pitt. which carries ALOT more weight than it does nearly anywhere else. And Ward played better in big games.

Your original argument was that Ward would be enshrined before Marvin. I disagree simply due to the head start Marvin has by retiring earlier.

hmmm. that is interesting. ive never seen anything in the media during 08 about that. you would have thought we would have gave him a one day contract to retire a colt. come to think of it we didnt do that with edge either.

Kind of odd. Irsay seems like the sentimental kind.

I'm confused.

Is this poll about who I think was the better receiver or who I would pick to be the #1 receiver if the Colts called me and said, "Hey, shecolt, it's up to you. Marvin or Hines for the upcoming season?"

You had to pick either one to be the #1 on your team.

You had to pick either one to be the #1 on your team.

OK, so you are saying for next year. That would be tough. Marvin will be 40. Hines will be 36. Marvin hasn't played since 2008. Hines was still active this year.

I would have to know how physically capable Marvin still is before I could make a choice.

OK, so you are saying for next year. That would be tough. Marvin will be 40. Hines will be 36. Marvin hasn't played since 2008. Hines was still active this year.

I would have to know how physically capable Marvin still is before I could make a choice.

haha I meant if you could hypothetically go back in time and choose one when they were in their prime.

Sorry I should have worded that better.

Well, that makes it easy. Marvin is my choice.

If for no other reason than that Hine's smile gives me the creeps.

haha!

At least Hines DOES smile... I looked Marvin up in yahoo images, and it's hard to find a picture of him with a smile...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoYCU4DlPnn4A_9mJzbkF?p=marvin%20harrison&fr=yfp-tab-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&fr2=sg-gac&sado=1

Are we referring to both WR's in their prime? In that case, I'd take Harrison. He was such an insane crisp route runner and was the master endzone tactician at catching and staying in bounds. Something also clearly rubbed off from him onto Wayne, so maybe Harrison is somehow a good role model and or teacher also.

Really good article by Jason Cole, on Cris Carter, which points out some pretty interesting things. Mainly Carter not being the threat on his team people claim him to be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiRpiUJ_xEN1WdUJLw2lRiJDubYF?slug=jc-cole_cris_carter_pro_football_hall_of_fame_021612

And after looking, the same could be said for Marvin. Starting in 2004, it could be argued he wasn't even the best WR on the team. Then pre-2004, it could be said Edge was the man in 1999,2000, 2003.....

The Art Monk mention seems to particularly point to Marvin as well.

Anyway, pretty interesting HoF article.

I've never been on a Steelers forum, but I'm pretty sure a neutral forum would favor Marvin pretty decisively.

Would you be suprised to find out that, in 2 more years in the league, Wards team still threw 400 LESS times than our Colts with Marvin. I was.

Could also help point to the rec/ydg differential between the two.

Would you be suprised to find out that, in 2 more years in the league, Wards team still threw 400 LESS times than our Colts with Marvin. I was.

Could also help point to the rec/ydg differential between the two.

That doesn't make up for 100 more catches, 2500 more yards, 43 more touchdowns, in two less years (really three, counting 2007).

Hines Ward's best season, 2002, 26 years old: 112 catches, 1329 yards, 12 touchdowns (all career highs); 543 pass attempts by the team

Marvin Harrison's best season, 2002, 30 years old: 143 catches, 1722 yards, 11 touchdowns (touchdowns not a career high, that would be 15, which he did twice); 591 pass attempts by the team

And no, that doesn't really surprise me that we threw 400 times more. We were a pass-first offense with a much better quarterback situation, and that certainly plays into the disparity in production. But there's no question that Marvin was a better receiver, not only in his prime, but throughout the course of his career. More explosive, better hands, drew more coverage, and set a bunch of records.

I'll be honest: I didn't realize Ward's numbers were as good as they are. He's had a great career, and he has a Super Bowl MVP award. He was better in the postseason than Marvin, both in production and in impact. But Marvin has all-time great numbers, top ten in a bunch of categories, and did so in three fewer years than Ward. It's closer than I originally thought, but it's still not really close. Marvin is a top five or ten receiver of all time. Ward is probably top 25.

statistically, Hines Ward looks like a pedestrian compared to Marvin. It's not even close.

in terms of toughness, many people will say Ward, but in reality the nod should go to Marv. he was bulletproof and never got hurt.

Ward on the other hand missed playing time.

If Hines had Manning throwing to him, then, who knows? maybe he would have better stats than what he had. But all in all Marv is faster, better route runner, better hands and overall tougher player.

Hines is just better at trash talking and flaming. he laughs too much.

P.S ward is a dirty player and a cheap shot artist