Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy RB's

Ohh I'm irked...

I've been playing fantasy since 2004 (I was 14) lol. Over the years, I've bucked against the trend of "RB's go first" all the time. I've always said it's a QB league they should be most important and RB's are so wishy washy these days. I don't know what came over me. But I was stuck in the second slot in the draft and panicked. Instead of taking A-Rod I selected David Johnson... Oh yes I drafted a top RB.. this bad taste is not the first time it's happened to me.

I selected:

Chris Johnson- 2011 coming off two great seasons

LeSean McCoy - 2012 coming off an amazing season

Jammal Charles - 2015 

David Johnson- 2017

I'm completely done with "RB are the beginning of the fantasy trend"

8 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Ohh I'm irked...

I've been playing fantasy since 2004 (I was 14) lol. Over the years, I've bucked against the trend of "RB's go first" all the time. I've always said it's a QB league they should be most important and RB's are so wishy washy these days. I don't know what came over me. But I was stuck in the second slot in the draft and panicked. Instead of taking A-Rod I selected David Johnson... Oh yes I drafted a top RB.. this bad taste is not the first time it's happened to me.

I selected:

Chris Johnson- 2011 coming off two great seasons

LeSean McCoy - 2012 coming off an amazing season

Jammal Charles - 2015 

David Johnson- 2017

I'm completely done with "RB are the beginning of the fantasy trend"

Drafting a qb in the first round is a terrible strategy.  

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Drafting a qb in the first round is a terrible strategy.  

Not always. It depends on the league (start 2 QBs or superflex), but I never draft a QB early.  I pounded the RBs pretty early and sloughed WR until the 3rd or 4th.  I targeted Doug Martin as my RB3 or 4 after the 7th or so and waited on QB and TE.  I ended up with Stafford in two leagues.  

2 minutes ago, ipljeff said:

Not always. It depends on the league (start 2 QBs or superflex), but I never draft a QB early.  I pounded the RBs pretty early and sloughed WR until the 3rd or 4th.  I targeted Doug Martin as my RB3 or 4 after the 7th or so and waited on QB and TE.  I ended up with Stafford in two leagues.  

True about two gb and superflex.  I have never played in that type of league.   I usually wait until the 6th round at the earliest to draft a qb  usually later

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

True about two gb and superflex.  I have never played in that type of league.   I usually wait until the 6th round at the earliest to draft a qb  usually later

I'm playing in standard and Two QB league which is freaking interesting.. lol I drafted Rodgers and Wilson... that barely worked week 1 for me. 

Are WR's more important than RB's? There are 3 top RB's every year. Every one does this "committee" thing now. 

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm playing in standard and Two QB league which is freaking interesting.. lol I drafted Rodgers and Wilson... that barely worked week 1 for me. 

Are WR's more important than RB's? There are 3 top RB's every year. Every one does this "committee" thing now. 

On average, WR's have outperformed their draft position more often early on than RB's and should be taken earlier now than ever. I would say if you couldn't get the David Johnson/Bell/Elliott tier before the beginning of the season, than a WR was the correct way to go. In the end picks, I'd go WR/RB, and early picks I'd go RB/WR/WR. Middle are trickier, but I'd probably go WR/RB/RB. That's when you'll get great value at RB and can get two of them after grabbing a great WR in the first round.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

On average, WR's have outperformed their draft position more often early on than RB's and should be taken earlier now than ever. I would say if you couldn't get the David Johnson/Bell/Elliott tier before the beginning of the season, than a WR was the correct way to go. In the end picks, I'd go WR/RB, and early picks I'd go RB/WR/WR. Middle are trickier, but I'd probably go WR/RB/RB. That's when you'll get great value at RB and can get two of them after grabbing a great WR in the first round.

I drafted Johnson number 2.. I was reallllly torn. but I was in that second position. I wanted McCoy this year. But sadly I think week 1 for him was a mirage. I just don't know. I took Brees 2 and got left with Michael Thomas Demarrias Thomas.. who both forgot how to play on Monday.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

p.s. isn't it 4:30 in Denver?! lol

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I drafted Johnson number 2.. I was reallllly torn. but I was in that second position. I wanted McCoy this year. But sadly I think week 1 for him was a mirage. I just don't know. I took Brees 2 and got left with Michael Thomas Demarrias Thomas.. who both forgot how to play on Monday.

David Johnson was the right pick, just unfortunate what happened to him. I'm in a 8 team, 2 QB league with IDP players and 33 rounds of drafting. I took Cousins and Carr in rounds 6 and 7 as my strategy if that helps you. I actually went RB/RB/WR in that league with Johnson/Ajayi/Green because of the format. That particular draft the BPA in rounds 2 and 3 were a RB and WR. You just have to come up with a plan and do your homework before draft time, but always be willing to change your strategy mid-draft. If not, you'll reach, and mess up and it will hurt you pretty bad, especially in something like a 2 QB league.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

David Johnson was the right pick, just unfortunate what happened to him. I'm in a 8 team, 2 QB league with IDP players and 33 rounds of drafting. I took Cousins and Carr in rounds 6 and 7 as my strategy if that helps you. I actually went RB/RB/WR in that league with Johnson/Ajayi/Green because of the format. That particular draft the BPA in rounds 2 and 3 were a RB and WR. You just have to come up with a plan and do your homework before draft time, but always be willing to change your strategy mid-draft. If not, you'll reach, and mess up and it will hurt you pretty bad, especially in something like a 2 QB league.

See I don't know, maybe I play with weak punks? I mean we all know and talk football. But everybody has their different strategies. I play with several Patriots fans. So of course, they are gonna wanna take their guys.. So guys like QB's some guys hog WR's. 

David Johnson is soo unfortunate :( and it probably hurts even worse because I changed my "draft strategy" 30 seconds into my 1 pick (I didn't want to take him originally) 

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, I've been up all night waiting for waiver claims to come in! :) I stay up all night every wednesday morning during fantasy football season! :thmup:

Hahah that's funny! Go to sleep! I'm afraid to look at my waivers.. I obviously have to replace Johnson, and I play with some jerks who will try to pick up him backup :tvsmash:haha

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

See I don't know, maybe I play with weak punks? I mean we all know and talk football. But everybody has their different strategies. I play with several Patriots fans. So of course, they are gonna wanna take their guys.. So guys like QB's some guys hog WR's. 

David Johnson is soo unfortunate :( and it probably hurts even worse because I changed my "draft strategy" 30 seconds into my 1 pick (I didn't want to take him originally) 

Hahah that's funny! Go to sleep! I'm afraid to look at my waivers.. I obviously have to replace Johnson, and I play with some jerks who will try to pick up him backup :tvsmash:haha

I'll get some sleep now :) Before I go, don't pick up any of the Cards RB's because Chris Johnson just got signed and there's going to be some weird timeshare between Kerwynn Williams, Andre Ellington, and Chris Johnson now. If I were you, I'd pick up Javorius Allen with the injury to Danny Woodhead, or even better, Tarik Cohen based on his explosiveness in game 1 Vs the Falcons. 

P.S. Never be a homer in fantasy. Play with your brain, not with your heart. Let them do what they want and exploit their mistakes to your advantage. Every bad pick by another drafter lets someone else fall to you. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll get some sleep now :) Before I go, don't pick up any of the Cards RB's because Chris Johnson just got signed and there's going to be some weird timeshare between Kerwynn Williams, Andre Ellington, and Chris Johnson now. If I were you, I'd pick up Javorius Allen with the injury to Danny Woodhead, or even better, Tarik Cohen based on his explosiveness in game 1 Vs the Falcons. 

P.S. Never be a homer in fantasy. Play with your brain, not with your heart. Let them do what they want and exploit their mistakes to your advantage. Every bad pick by another drafter lets someone else fall to you. 

Lol you're killing me. I'm definitely not being a homer... because I need to play a Cards back THIS Sunday especially haha

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol you're killing me. I'm definitely not being a homer... because I need to play a Cards back THIS Sunday especially haha

LOL, no, I just meant that as general advice in the draft and fantasy. Nothing to do with you, but more your draftmates. Don't follow their example with the Colts, but more exploit their faults. Yeah, take a Cards back at your own risk. If you take one, I'd take Kerwynn Williams. I'd prefer Cohen or Allen over him though. Also take a look at guys like Golladay and Agholor, they are solid WR pickups as well.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

LOL, no, I just meant that as general advice in the draft and fantasy. Nothing to do with you, but more your draftmates. Don't follow their example with the Colts, but more exploit their faults. Yeah, take a Cards back at your own risk. If you take one, I'd take Kerwynn Williams. I'd prefer Cohen or Allen over him though. Also take a look at guys like Golladay and Agholor, they are solid WR pickups as well.

haha I appreciate the help man. I DID end up getting Kerwynn and I just picked up Allen... I have 4 days to mull over this now lol. Get some rest my man!

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Seriously? Why? You can't control the outcome of them

I can't get everyone, but I'm in a lot of deep leagues, and I've gone after around 5-10 people in week 1, so the ones I get on waivers I get, the ones I don't, I like to see if someone else got, and if they don't, I can get them too, especially in a 33 player league. In a particular league on ESPN this week, I had David Johnson injured and traded for Fournette, but I didn't know how Waivers would turn out in a competitive league and the trade went through at 10:00 EST AM, so I had to stay up all night, see the waivers, and then drop Duke Johnson for Corey Coleman after Waivers went through so I'd be at the 8 RB limit once Leonard Fournette came to my team. Just a lot of stuff.