Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi On JMV 9-11-2017

jszfunk

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like RV and JMV too.  Rick was brutally honest tonight and was as * as any of us.  Completely lost as to why Scott is playing.  He argued that he would eat crow and go sign Morris to start this week.  I get the feeling he isn't all that cracked up about the Dorsett trade.

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I like RV and JMV too.  Rick was brutally honest tonight and was as * as any of us.  Completely lost as to why Scott is playing.  He argued that he would eat crow and go sign Morris to start this week.  I get the feeling he isn't all that cracked up about the Dorsett trade.

Same thing I said.  Go sign Morris, he's about the only guy you can bring in right now who knows the playbook.  I mean i'll eat my hat if he can't do better than Tolzien.  I want Brissett to play but that's a heck of a task with very little knowledge of the playbook.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Can't listen ATM. Any cliff notes on what was said? I usually try to catch his interview with JMV but missed it today.

Canr defend Tolzien starting. Shouldnt start again.

Pagano being unprepared becomming far too common. Tolzien blight on Ballard, but the extent unsure

Game plan was terrible. Didnt try to take best opponent players out, but instead, handed them sacks and turnovers

Just my opinion, this mess is far from a Tolzien issue.Yeah he was/part of it,but there is a much bigger picture of issues here. Morris, Brissett,  Bart Start or my grandma could have played and It would have not mattered. The Rams dropped 30plus on this defense! They made Goff lolok like a pro bowler. This team is in some serious trouble.

18 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

He was not a fan of the trade. Nothing against Brissett, but he thought they didn't give Dorsett the right kind of opportunities to perform (I agree), and wanted to see him do well. 

As for Morris, I still don't think he's good enough, but it's hard to imagine anyone playing worse than Tolzien did yesterday, soo...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He was not a fan of the trade. Nothing against Brissett, but he thought they didn't give Dorsett the right kind of opportunities to perform (I agree), and wanted to see him do well. 

As for Morris, I still don't think he's good enough, but it's hard to imagine anyone playing worse than Tolzien did yesterday, soo...

I buy that.  I wish they would have had a different mindset with Dorsett too.  

Yeah, I heard Rick talking to the gang (Grady/ Joe, Dan and John) last week.  He had some interesting thoughts regarding Dorsett.  He really didn't say anything bad about Brissett, but I don't remember him being excited either.

I agree with you.  I don't think Morris is the answer either, but it sure is rough watching ST.  Absolutely no vertical threat.... come to think of it, no threat period.  He does not look comfortable at all (playing scared) to say the least.

This was the first one I’ve ever listened to, and I have to say he was dead on in all aspects. This team has zero idea of what they are doing. 

What stuck out to me the most was his comment about us and Jacksonville. 

“We’re sleeping and going backwards while they are signing and drafting top guys.”

If we don’t get it together, we’ll be Jacksonville of old before long. 

47 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I buy that.  I wish they would have had a different mindset with Dorsett too.  

Yeah, I heard Rick talking to the gang (Grady/ Joe, Dan and John) last week.  He had some interesting thoughts regarding Dorsett.  He really didn't say anything bad about Brissett, but I don't remember him being excited either.

I agree with you.  I don't think Morris is the answer either, but it sure is rough watching ST.  Absolutely no vertical threat.... come to think of it, no threat period.  He does not look comfortable at all (playing scared) to say the least.

Tolzien just doesn't have it. He looked shook all game. He actually went vertical, with some success, but he's not really a threat in that way. 

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Tolzien just doesn't have it. He looked shook all game. He actually went vertical, with some success, but he's not really a threat in that way. 

That was my one big complaint with Tolzien going into the game. He just seems to get so rattled. I can see him being able to handle things in a practice setting, and he seems to be a smart guy who knows the playbook inside and out, but when he sniffs any sort of pressure in gameplay he just seems shook.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I agree. 3 career td's to 9 ints.  Zero NFL wins and the Colts are his fourth team as Scott went undrafted. I guess the Colts see something in Scott that the majority of the football world doesn't.

It was a good listen.  He thinks Hankins hasn't shown anything, neither has Sheard.  Although he likes Simon, he thinks Walden rushed the passer better.  Hooker looked irrelevant.  And thinks the team traded a potential big play WR for another third string QB.  He didn't call out Ballard, but obviously thinks the GM switch has been a push.  He pretty much called Pagano incompetent and chaotic.

But its only week 1 so what does anybody know about that stuff.

He specifically said that Tolzien was demoted to GBs 3rd string and was going to be let go.  Thinks Pagano should have started Wilson in that he has played CB his entire football life where as Green has played it for 23 plays (or something close)

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I agree. 3 career td's to 9 ints.  Zero NFL wins and the Colts are his fourth team as Scott went undrafted. I guess the Colts see something in Scott that the majority of the football world doesn't.

I don't really care about anyone else's evaluation of him. The Colts thought he was good enough to handle the job in a short Luck absence; he didn't play bad against the Steelers last year, or in the preseason, but again, he doesn't have "it," and hasn't shown "it" at any point since he's been here. And after yesterday, it's plainly obvious that he's not good enough to handle the job for a short time, much less a long time.

The Colts kind of handed the job to him in the offseason, then treated him as if he was a quality backup and didn't need all the prep in the world. They didn't allow him to get pressed very heavily in the preseason, and they acted like he would just click on in Week 1, no problem. They miscalculated pretty much every step along the way, IMO.

And I gave them the benefit of the doubt the whole time. I have no doubt they were confident he'd play well enough to give the team a chance to win, which is why they didn't really challenge him. They just missed on him.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't really care about anyone else's evaluation of him. The Colts thought he was good enough to handle the job in a short Luck absence; he didn't play bad against the Steelers last year, or in the preseason, but again, he doesn't have "it," and hasn't shown "it" at any point since he's been here. And after yesterday, it's plainly obvious that he's not good enough to handle the job for a short time, much less a long time.

The Colts kind of handed the job to him in the offseason, then treated him as if he was a quality backup and didn't need all the prep in the world. They didn't allow him to get pressed very heavily in the preseason, and they acted like he would just click on in Week 1, no problem. They miscalculated pretty much every step along the way, IMO.

And I gave them the benefit of the doubt the whole time. I have no doubt they were confident he'd play well enough to give the team a chance to win, which is why they didn't really challenge him. They just missed on him.

That's the point I made is that the Colts saw SOMETHING in him that others didn't. Like you I think they HANDED him the job too easy. I thought they should have given Josh Freeman another look before they brought in Tolzien last year. At least he had some nfl wins under his belt and had shown a lot of promise in Tampa until the new staff under first time nfl hc Greg Schiano came in. I just hope Luck is not out too much longer but that all depends on his health and by no means should they rush him back if he's not 100%

I listen to Venturi religiously.  I know he's old, but I often wonder if he would have a shot to coach the Colts again.  He's so very experienced and knowledgable and seems to have gotten a lot out of his time with Belichick.

I also wonder if the Colts staff ever listens to his shows.  I thought I heard Pagano once use a particular speech pattern that Venturi uses.

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It was a good listen.  He thinks Hankins hasn't shown anything, neither has Sheard.  Although he likes Simon, he thinks Walden rushed the passer better.  Hooker looked irrelevant.  And thinks the team traded a potential big play WR for another third string QB.  He didn't call out Ballard, but obviously thinks the GM switch has been a push.  He pretty much called Pagano incompetent and chaotic.

But its only week 1 so what does anybody know about that stuff.

He specifically said that Tolzien was demoted to GBs 3rd string and was going to be let go.  Thinks Pagano should have started Wilson in that he has played CB his entire football life where as Green has played it for 23 plays (or something close)

Like you said, way too early to pass any kind of judgement on Hankins, sheard, Simon and hooker. Agree with everything else, especially green/wilson

7 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

I listen to Venturi religiously.  I know he's old, but I often wonder if he would have a shot to coach the Colts again.  He's so very experienced and knowledgable and seems to have gotten a lot out of his time with Belichick.

I also wonder if the Colts staff ever listens to his shows.  I thought I heard Pagano once use a particular speech pattern that Venturi uses.

He sucked as a coach. 

In listening to him, he doesn't seem to like Ballard much, but I'm not sure what he is expecting yet.  I don't think there's been enough time to evaluate him yet.  There were so many things wrong it isn't going to all be fixed in 1 off-season.  This is at least a 3 year ordeal IMHO.

50 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He sucked as a coach. 

Yeah, bc he had such great teams to work with....He coached Northwestern when they were the perennial doormats of the old Big Ten. He also took over as interim coach for one of the worst Indy Colts teams ever, the 1991 team...and was interim for the then dreadful Saints. All the coaching talent in the world wasn't gonna help him in any of those terrible jobs.

At his age he's done coaching, but dang I'd love to see him come in as a consultant like Tom Moore has done. He knows his stuff, calls out what should be done prior to games (which usually isn't by this coaching staff) and knows the game backwards and forwards. I'm thinking he and Irsay aren't exactly in the best terms perhaps, given his rough stint here in Indy,.,,

1 hour ago, cmgww said:

Yeah, bc he had such great teams to work with....He coached Northwestern when they were the perennial doormats of the old Big Ten. He also took over as interim coach for one of the worst Indy Colts teams ever, the 1991 team...and was interim for the then dreadful Saints. All the coaching talent in the world wasn't gonna help him in any of those terrible jobs.

At his age he's done coaching, but dang I'd love to see him come in as a consultant like Tom Moore has done. He knows his stuff, calls out what should be done prior to games (which usually isn't by this coaching staff) and knows the game backwards and forwards. I'm thinking he and Irsay aren't exactly in the best terms perhaps, given his rough stint here in Indy,.,,

He wasn't exactly a standout defensive coordinator either.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

You now what bugs me the most about the Brissett trade, besides all the unexplored potential of Dorsett? What bugs me is when I ask myself what happens in the best case scenario? In the best case scenario we traded for someone who will never see the field. This is BEST CASE!

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

You now what bugs me the most about the Brissett trade, besides all the unexplored potential of Dorsett? What bugs me is when I ask myself what happens in the best case scenario? In the best case scenario we traded for someone who will never see the field. This is BEST CASE!

No I think best case Brissett gets flipped for a mid round draft pick in a year or two. 

I think Luck is out until Week 5. Maybe they'll switch to Brissett this week -- they should -- and he plays well and gets a win or two. His value grows, and he helped stem the tide while Luck is getting ready. Then he gets dealt for a 2019 4th rounder or something like that.  That's what I think they envision, a long term hold and sell.

The question is whether you think they could have traded Dorsett this year for a 2019 conditional 4th rounder. I do. But then you don't get what you think is a promising young backup QB, who might help even us in the short term. 

I've been of the opinion that I'd rather have Dorsett, but that's because I didn't think they'd play Brissett. Now, it's hard to imagine them NOT playing him at some point, maybe as soon as Week 2. 

The whole point of a Ballards off-season FA plan, was to get a certain type of player with a a favorable short term contract...see how each plays...reward the good and release the bad.  Meanwhile your draft picks play, take their lumps and get better as the season unfolds.  Mack, Quincy, Hooker, Basham...all should be playing.  Tolzein never should. Green isn't ready.  The Oline is a mystery to me.  I thought Joe would have them ready to play.  Pagano looked as shaken as Tolzein.  I think we have talent, but Monachino, Pagano  and maybe Chud probably shouldn't be here next year.  

I like Rick V. He made good points about Tolzien, the lack of game planning, etc.

The only question that kept going through my mind was - how much of the chaos was just inexperience of a team not playing together? 

I mean, could it be the plans were there but the players didn't execute?

I just hope to see an improvement this week, as I have tickets for the game. I hope something rises up in the players and coaches, when/if they hear these kinds of criticisms. I just wonder if they can muster up confidence when they played as bad as they did.