Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why brissett

OLD FAN MAN

why did the colts trade for brissett? could it be, luck is not healing fast enough, or there is doubt  he will ever be the same as before, or luck will miss half the season, or the staff did not think our qbs could cut it, or  the staff thinks brissett will be better than luck, or the staff just thought brissett was worth more than dorsett, or are we looking for a long term qb who can carry on if luck gets hurt again, or the staff thinks brissett can take lucks job away from him, or  ballard wants luck to have competition for his job, or all of these things. why? thoughts?

Settle down! This is a simple answer. They wanted competition for Tolzein because he was not performing well. There is no way they are looking to replace Luck as he is their franchise. Luck is fine they are just doing the smart thing and taking things slow with him which is smart. Brissett is just there to be a #2 behind Luck in the future over Tolzein which is a great thing cause Tolzein sucks. 

People are way over thinking this brisset is a QB that can run our offense with out many changes a QB like Tolzien half our playbook is out the window . We got a valuable piece for a guy who was on the bubble and did not fit what the coaches wanted . Luck has been banged up a lot brisset will be very valuable if luck has to miss a game or a few down the road . 

Why do people always try to read something between the lines.  Why Brissett?  because Tolzien and Morris are bad QBs.  And over the last two season Luck has missed 9 games and is going to miss his 10th game come Sunday.  IN 2015 the Colts had a serviceable back-up with MH, in 2016 they did not and the 2017 preseason showed that they still did not have a serviceable back-up, so they went and got one.

32 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

why did the colts trade for brissett? could it be, luck is not healing fast enough, or there is doubt  he will ever be the same as before, or luck will miss half the season, or the staff did not think our qbs could cut it, or  the staff thinks brissett will be better than luck, or the staff just thought brissett was worth more than dorsett, or are we looking for a long term qb who can carry on if luck gets hurt again, or the staff thinks brissett can take lucks job away from him, or  ballard wants luck to have competition for his job, or all of these things. why? thoughts?

Luck will miss more time than what most people believe. If wrong, they could have picked a qb from the cut down day. This is a situation that needed to be addressed because of the uncertainty about Luck. I highly doubt they wanted to part ways with Dorsett as now they lost their speed receiver. 

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why do people always try to read something between the lines.  Why Brissett?  because Tolzien and Morris are bad QBs.  And over the last two season Luck has missed 9 games and is going to miss his 10th game come Sunday.  IN 2015 the Colts had a serviceable back-up with MH, in 2016 they did not and the 2017 preseason showed that they still did not have a serviceable back-up, so they went and got one.

i agree, we needed a backup who could move the offense, heard someone on the radio who said the colts are not telling us something, so i asked what the forum thought

42 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Or because Ballard thinks brissett could push tolzien for the #2 spot. You know, which is EXACTLY what he said during his presser. Pagano then said the same thing in his presser. You're waaaay over thinking this.

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Luck will miss more time than what most people believe. If wrong, they could have picked a qb from the cut down day. This is a situation that needed to be addressed because of the uncertainty about Luck. I highly doubt they wanted to part ways with Dorsett as now they lost their speed receiver. 

They lost their speed receiver??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Ballard is raising the bar. He's pretty much getting rid of two players with that trade who underperformed: Dorsett and Tolzien (once Brissett learns the playbook). Even though his 5 TD game was against 3rd stringers, Tolzien effectively threw none in 4 games. 

I don't think Tolzien will be cut. I see us carrying 3 QBs the whole season.

Yeah the more I hear and read about Brissett, the more I like him.  Brady said he's an excellent young player and it was a pleasure to work with him.  He's young, seems talented and had that phenomenal performance against NY.  Not a huge sample size but from what there has been, he seems to have the ability to get the job done if Luck is injured.  

I just wish the Colts could've maybe got to him earlier thus he could maybe be playing game one.  

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

:HFire:

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

16 yards per catch last year.     One of the highest averages for any wide receiver.

Yes,  the team lost their speed receiver.

He only caught 33 balls..  He and Hilton had similar 40 times at the combine, before Dorsetts leg injury.  

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He only caught 33 balls..  He and Hilton had similar 40 times at the combine, before Dorsetts leg injury.  

I know.....   but TY has never had that kind of average....    and Dorsett was only in year 2.

I was expecting a jump in performance from him....    I hope he doesn't do that for New England.

3 hours ago, GusBus24 said:

Settle down! This is a simple answer. They wanted competition for Tolzein because he was not performing well. There is no way they are looking to replace Luck as he is their franchise. Luck is fine they are just doing the smart thing and taking things slow with him which is smart. Brissett is just there to be a #2 behind Luck in the future over Tolzein which is a great thing cause Tolzein sucks. 

I thought Morris gave him plenty of competition. But for some reason, they didn't like Morris I don't know why I'm not buying the OTA thing. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know.....   but TY has never had that kind of average....    and Dorsett was only in year 2.

I was expecting a jump in performance from him....    I hope he doesn't do that for New England.

Ty has had above that average every year of his career except his second season,  which was still a respectable 13.2 on 80 catches,  and last year.  He had a 15.9 ypc on 90 catches.    Make no mistake who the burner is in this offense.  His career ypc is 15.7

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Colts are gonna trade Andrew Luck to Denver, so JB is the backup and Tolzien is your starter for the next 10 years :)

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

16 yards per catch last year.     One of the highest averages for any wide receiver.

Yes,  the team lost their speed receiver.

When did TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief become slow?  The Colts may have lost one of their speed receivers, but saying they lost "their speed receiver" makes it sound like they lost the only one they had, and that's hardly the case.

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

When did TY Hilton and Donte Moncrief become slow?  The Colts may have lost one of their speed receivers, but saying they lost "their speed receiver" makes it sound like they lost the only one they had, and that's hardly the case.

I never saw anything to make me think Dorsett was faster than TY. Colts still have their speed receiver.

Ballard came along and decided that the Colts suffered from inadequate depth at pretty much every position (including quarterback).  When he was presented with an opportunity to upgrade the QB position, he took it.  He traded with a player that is good, but the depth at the WR position is much deeper than QB.

I've got to agree with the majority of replies to your post OLD FAN MAN, the Colts made the trade for two primary reasons 1)they weren't happy with a first rd pick's production despite as fast as Dorset is and 2) They aren't really happy with Tolzien as a long term back up (meaning for the next 5 years or more; not this entire season). Form everything said in a pretty detailed conversation with Irsay concerning Luck last week, On top of putting Andrew on the Active list Monday it's not got anything to do with Luck, it's a matter of his backup's play.

I doubt if Luck is out more than two games if that. I've had NFL Network on for most of the week when they're not doing replay games, check into ESPN, just about everything I can, but radio being in Colorado and it's pretty plain this trade is causing a lot of people to overthink the situation. What I'm getting from the last 3 or so weeks is it's Luck not thinking he;s ready (having missed so much practice and no play) more than a medical issue at this point. HE had a pretty safe rehab and I think it's safe to say we really don't know this team yet with so many changes and I'd think the staff doesn't either. 

20 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

I don't understand this trade. Dorsett was playing good this preseason too!

Only reason for this trade to make sense is if Luck is not ready to come back any time soon.

If this is true and Luck is not healthy enough to play for weeks to come, my question is... why not put him on PUP?

You made a statement and then proved yourself wrong in the very next comment.  If Luck were not going to be ready to play then they WOULD have kept him on PUP.  What possible reason could they have for not keeping him on PUP if they knew he wouldn't be ready for at least 6 weeks?  There is absolutely no logical reason why they would do that.

Brissett has already shown the potential to be a better QB than Tolzien.  Brissett is now under contract with the Colts through 2019.  Brissett's average annual salary is around half of Tolzien's. 

So, Ballard gave himself the opportunity to upgrade the QB2 spot and lock that position up for 3 years at half the cost of his current, lesser backup.  Now, do you want to revisit that whole, "only reason for this trade to make sense is if Luck is not ready to come back any time soon" comment?