Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reasons And Intentions For Starting A Thread

Warhorse

I have witnessed the posting of many threads on this site since the final whistle sounded at the end of the 2011 season. There have been some good ideas, some great questions, and a whole lot of topics that created frustration.....be it from repetition, controversial subjects, or poorly written titles. I would like to address the latter of those. I hope that this can help some of those frustrations. If this is repeat information, I apologize.

When starting a thread, think of what you are actually asking.

Are you stating an opinion?

Are you asking a question?

Are you venting a frustration?

Are you simply providing factual information?

Are you trying to change the way people feel?

Each one of these are different. I have been posting nearly daily on Colt forums since the internet began and probably posted in excess of 50,000 posts. (I am not bragging...that wouldn't buy me a down payment on a hotdog). In that time I have taken part in some of the worst thread starting imaginable. I have used poor title choices, used questions to expose posters so I could argue, vented, and you name it. After many years of being both mod and fan alike, I have learned to think about what I am saying when I start a thread. Here are a few ways to make your threads more successful for everyone.

Choose what your intent is and stick with that only. If you want to ask a question, ask it. Then answer your own question with an opinion in a second post. Try to really ask yourself why you are starting a thread. Everyone is entitled to enjoy the experience of starting a thread that gets a lot of activity, but it should be because the activity is about appreciation for your selection, not for the anger or frustration that the thread causes.

Lastly, feel free to state what your intention is. You title could say, "SB's in the next 2 or 3 Years". You could then start the thread with a question of no matter what QB we start for the next 2 or 3 years, why or why not should people think we will win a SB. Then, make a final statement that you hope to dispel the common thought that we will win any SB in the next 2-3 years. Also take a minute to spell check your title before hitting post. A misspelled word in the title of a thread can turn the thread south before any productive discussion even begins. If you are not sure how, just type the title in a word document, and then cut and paste it into the title box. Again, keep the first post clean and with a single purpose. Happy posting.

I have witnessed the posting of many threads on this site since the final whistle sounded at the end of the 2011 season. There have been some good ideas, some great questions, and a whole lot of topics that created frustration.....be it from repetition, controversial subjects, or poorly written titles. I would like to address the latter of those. I hope that this can help some of those frustrations. If this is repeat information, I apologize.

Each one of these are different. I have been posting nearly daily on Colt forums since the internet began and probably posted in excess of 50,000 posts. (I am not bragging...that wouldn't buy me a down payment on a hotdog). In that time I have taken part in some of the worst thread starting imaginable. I have used poor title choices, used questions to expose posters so I could argue, vented, and you name it. After many years of being both mod and fan alike, I have learned to think about what I am saying when I start a thread. Here are a few ways to make your threads more successful for everyone.

Choose what your intent is and stick with that only. If you want to ask a question, ask it. Then answer your own question with an opinion in a second post. Try to really ask yourself why you are starting a thread. Everyone is entitled to enjoy the experience of starting a thread that gets a lot of activity, but it should be because the activity is about appreciation for your selection, not for the anger or frustration that the thread causes.

Lastly, feel free to state what your intention is. You title could say, "SB's in the next 2 or 3 Years". You could then start the thread with a question of no matter what QB we start for the next 2 or 3 years, why or why not should people think we will win a SB. Then, make a final statement that you hope to dispel the common thought that we will win any SB in the next 2-3 years. Also take a minute to spell check your title before hitting post. A misspelled word in the title of a thread can turn the thread south before any productive discussion even begins. If you are not sure how, just type the title in a word document, and then cut and paste it into the title box. Again, keep the first post clean and with a single purpose. Happy posting.

Lots of good points......WarMan...

.but many here....are counter insurgents who attacks people's opinions and feelings..and that is THEIR purpose......I think the anger at posts is somewhat contrived by folks who are just enjoying their spot in the grassy noll. I give it to them.

Some like to be funny or sarcastic and that is THEIR purpose...

Some want to express happiness...with things and, while those people get torched.....that's THEIR thing....

Some posts are just for fun.....and all of mine are for entertainment purposes only...

To be honest..I see nothing wrong with any of it.......There may be a loss I feel in being too careful and structured with what you say....

I wouldnt state something I didnt believe and wouldnt be willing to defend....But one thing you need to warn folks is 'dont take insults personally' Its a message board......

I dont think there's a lot of dummies..here....Everyone has an argeument and everyone's arguement is going to take fire....deserved or not

That's the forum....and if we didnt care about the team..we wouldnt be posting in February after a 2-14 season..

But you are right...spelling is a skill.....not all of us are punctuation 'genyuses'...

Lots of good points......WarMan...

.but many here....are counter insurgents who attacks people's opinions and feelings..and that is THEIR purpose......I think the anger at posts is somewhat contrived by folks who are just enjoying their spot in the grassy noll. I give it to them.

Some like to be funny or sarcastic and that is THEIR purpose...

Some want to express happiness...with things and, while those people get torched.....that's THEIR thing....

Some posts are just for fun.....and all of mine are for entertainment purposes only...

To be honest..I see nothing wrong with any of it.......There may be a loss I feel in being too careful and structured with what you say....

I wouldnt state something I didnt believe and wouldnt be willing to defend....But one thing you need to warn folks is 'dont take insults personally' Its a message board......

I dont think there's a lot of dummies..here....Everyone has an argeument and everyone's arguement is going to take fire....deserved or not

That's the forum....and if we didnt care about the team..we wouldnt be posting in February after a 2-14 season..

But you are right...spelling is a skill.....not all of us are punctuation 'genyuses'...

I want to be clear...this was not about how people post to other peoples threads, but about how people start a thread. As far as the spelling, that was merely a suggestion to help people have a more successful thread, not to be critical.

I have a couple times started a thread merely out of frustration with all of these sports writers that i tend to get away from what i started the thread on lol. but one thing i try not to do when i come on the threads is try not to insult people with the threads they start or the replys people post on threads. everyone has a right to their opinion and most opinions are pretty understandable. like with what do the colts do with peyton manning. its a rough time to be a colts fan because we have not been accustom to losing in quite some time, and the fact we could end up losing the one player all fans have growin to love over the years is hard to take in and people are firing back at eachother. everyone should calm down, relax and remember were all going through the same thing and its been said time after time the RCA dome/Lucas oil stadium since manning arrived has always been electric and the fans are great. see there i go going off topic lol

Thanks, these are great points. I'll use them to make conversation more enjoyable / thought-provoking should I start another thread. live and learn.

Thanks, just trying to help relieve the angst and tension around here. It took me many years to get better at crafting good threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjgorxkzfWU