Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad Season? Think about the silver lining!

loudnproudcolt

I think we can make the case now Dorsett has been traded for Brissett that Tolzien is gone. I am not going to jump to the conclusion Luck won't be playing for the whole season or how many ever games. I think Ballard realized we needed a backup QB who can actually be decent, and he decided on Jacoby Brissett, and Dorsett was likely to be cut.

I think Luck will be back this season, but I also believe Ballard and Irsay, especially after that interview are saying we are in rebuild mode. They have been saying this since before the draft. Personally I would rather make sure Andrew is perfectly healthy before he comes back, and the line heals up also. This would be a good season to go 5-11. I know no one wants to hear this, and I will not be rooting for it, but think if the year is bad. The bright side is there are at least 4 QB's who are potential top ten picks right now, and I can think of a few more who could crash the party. The draft this year will be the year of the QB, and if we were ever going to have a top ten pick, this would be the best year since trading out of that pick and acquiring capital would be great. We are not going to be great this year, but if the year went badly, I believe it would set us up for next year. We need at least one more good draft of fresh talent, and picking up extra picks would be great. Also, we have a lot of cap room next year. So next year could be the leap year. Ballard is thinking well ahead of this year, which I think is the silver lining since everything looks gloomy right now!

We shall see, but at least realize I think Ballard has been very honest about his expectations this year, and if a bad season follows, a silver lining is there. Next years draft is the time to have a high draft pick.

35 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I think we can make the case now Dorsett has been traded for Brissett that Tolzien is gone. I am not going to jump to the conclusion Luck won't be playing for the whole season or how many ever games. I think Ballard realized we needed a backup QB who can actually be decent, and he decided on Jacoby Brissett, and Dorsett was likely to be cut.

I think Luck will be back this season, but I also believe Ballard and Irsay, especially after that interview are saying we are in rebuild mode. They have been saying this since before the draft. Personally I would rather make sure Andrew is perfectly healthy before he comes back, and the line heals up also. This would be a good season to go 5-11. I know no one wants to hear this, and I will not be rooting for it, but think if the year is bad. The bright side is there are at least 4 QB's who are potential top ten picks right now, and I can think of a few more who could crash the party. The draft this year will be the year of the QB, and if we were ever going to have a top ten pick, this would be the best year since trading out of that pick and acquiring capital would be great. We are not going to be great this year, but if the year went badly, I believe it would set us up for next year. We need at least one more good draft of fresh talent, and picking up extra picks would be great. Also, we have a lot of cap room next year. So next year could be the leap year. Ballard is thinking well ahead of this year, which I think is the silver lining since everything looks gloomy right now!

We shall see, but at least realize I think Ballard has been very honest about his expectations this year, and if a bad season follows, a silver lining is there. Next years draft is the time to have a high draft pick.

Could not agree more. Let Luck completely heal before coming back, and once the OL is healthy again with Kelly back, and Luck is ready, then put him back out there. And I really like the draft class next year where if we were to get a top pick and trade down for a haul of draft picks, we could really load up this team with talent acquired by Ballard.

40 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

If this is your "silver lining" I'd hate to see your dark cloud.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck plays even 12 games I don't see us going worse than 8-8. I know people that want us to have a Top 5 draft pick don't want to hear that but I don't see Luck losing more games than he wins.

It's happened before. The season before last Colts were 3-5 with Luck and 5-3 without him to finish 8-8.

I think there was a reason Irsay mentioned that he would rather have 1 or 2 bad seasons and compete for multiple super bowls down the line thatn be perpetually 8-8. We didn't realize it at the time but I think he was bracing us for a down year. He even reinforced that on Saturday by preaching patience and saying it was a bigger reset than 2012.

Man isn't this a depressing start to a season! After the Ballard hiring, the draft, the encouraging thoughts that Luck would be back to start the season by Irsay and company early on, the transformation of the defense by new acquisitions, the declaration of finally fixing the online with players having their first full season of NFL experience and play, Vontae having a reportedly excellent camp as well as some of the new defensive guys etc... then they appeared on TV for preseason and yuk! 

The team started to down play the possibility of Luck returning for the first game, the team appeared against another team on tv and looked awful in most phases and no more or possibly even less exciting than they were last season, we started to get the injuries piling up with guys we wanted to see flourish such as Kelly, Edwin Jackson, Davis, Geathers, Hooker, of course no Luck, Swoope, Doyle, Rogers, Hankins, Mewhort and I'm sure a couple others. A defensive line we expected to finally be a strength looked like the same garbage we've put up with for years, everyone in preseason ran at will on us. The short over the middle throws for the opposition is still there whenever they want it pretty much. The online that was supposed to be much improved opened next to nothing for a running game, understanding a couple key guys are out, Clark being somewhat of a disappointment so far. All these things are just amazingly bad. 

What was exciting was to see Mack look like the guy we've waited to have since Edge but he hasn't played 1 real game yet where coaches can focus on gameplans. We've seen JoJo look pretty good in his chance only to drop the ball 3 times in his final showing and then getting cut. We seen Dorsett get traded to the Pats where many feel now he will hit stride and be the player we expected out of him here, time will tell and I feel we are still just irritated that any deal with the pats is like inviting North Korea leaders into our home for Sunday lunch, it just feels wrong and inappropriate. 

I now have no idea what this team is and the progress I felt like had made during the offseason and the excitement of a new season starting with this new Ballard focus has just been shot, kicked and beaten down into a feeling of I could almost care less that football is here now. I have season tickets that are probably going into the open market by tomorrow because I just don't feel any excitement over the team this year and to travel and cough up all the cash for everything that comes with a game and the investment in pretty much an entire day, I just don't feel it this year like I did before they showed their real hand in that first preseason game. Amazing how all the talk up to that point from the coaches of how awesome everyone New was coming along and the gains the second year guys were making only to see it look the same, if not worse, than what we seen last year. Ughhhhh

I'm honestly not worried about it. 

If we win awesome, if not then it's on to next year. I have faith that things will come together nicely sooner rather than later, but to put so much expectation on the team in preseason is absolutely and utterly insane. It's like the fans want to feel like they used to at such a high level of emotion that any and all BAD that they see the team do, warrants outlandish skepticism.  

Not from me. The team is starting over. Relax and enjoy the growth. The colts are still in a better position to become a dynasty than a lot of teams currently out there. That is an awesome place to be in the NFL. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

Who starts at center with Kelly hurt Schwenke just got released.

15 hours ago, Colt-King 24 said:

Sure, if the Colts land a top 10 pick they could trade back in order to land more picks.

But, could we honestly pass up someone like Barkley from PSU?

Luck and this offense would become SCARY if we landed that kid.

I wouldn't think so.  Not if the objective is to get more talent.  That kid has IT.