Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Yates] Colts trade Phillip Dorsett for Jacoby Brissett

stitches

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

It is odd we keep trading with New England, you can certainly tell the days of Polian or Grigson are long gone. haha 

Lol that and NE loves taking our old news. Just for fun

Addai

Gonzalez

Collie

Wayne (the worst ever) 

then obviously this year

Surprised they didn't ask Marvin out of retirement

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I really loved what I had seen of Chris Ballard so far.  Then this trade happened.....

So the Colts trade away a former #1 pick who has potential to the Patriots for a QB who is a marginal third string QB who might not have even made the team.  I don't think he is even has good as Morris.  So what do you gain??  Dorsett for a LB or a pass rusher makes sense.  Even for a mid level draft pick.  But guys like Brissett are a dime a dozen, IMHO.  Now Dorsett will do wonders for NE and we got a QB who will likely get cut the minute Luck can play again.  Wow!

NE thought enough of Brissett to take him at #91 in the 3rd rounds last year (5th QB overall).  If you take 6 minutes to view the youtube link posted 4 after yours, you'll see Brissett's 5 TD performance Thursday night against the Giants.  It might make you feel a little better, or maybe it won't.

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I thought so too.. but not cut..

Just because he wasn't cut doesn't mean he hasn't been struggling.  I heard one national guy say he was struggling so much with the offense that they were pretty much just using him as an extra blocker.  Sound familure?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I could be wrong but I thinks its going to take Brissett quite a while to learn that playbook coming in at the last minute.

I agree I think that's why they have four QBs on the roster right now as I don't think they expect either Luck or Brissett to be ready week one.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Just because he wasn't cut doesn't mean he hasn't been struggling.  I heard one national guy say he was struggling so much with the offense that they were pretty much just using him as an extra blocker.  Sound familure?

So much freaking hype for Allen and Fleener.. disappointing :( 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree I think that's why they have four QBs on the roster right now as I don't think they expect either Luck or Brissett to be ready week one.

I dont see Brissett being able to contribute much at all this year. I remember when we did this type of think with Kerry Collins and basically never did learn the offense. Collins as we know spent many years in the league. This is not exactly apples to apples of course. I guess they looked at what he was able to do against the Texans as a rookie on short notice and whatever other research they did and pulled the trigger.

I dont see Brissett being able to contribute much at all this year. I remember when we did this type of think with Kerry Collins and basically never did learn the offense. Collins as we know spent many years in the league. This is not exactly apples to apples of course. I guess they looked at what he was able to do against the Texans as a rookie on short notice and whatever other research they did and pulled the trigger.

Without question this was a trade made for the future.  I think Ballard views him as the long term backup to Luck.  Hopefully he won't need to contribute much this year as that would probably mean Luck is healthy and playing well.

still I don't think he or Luck are going to be available week one other than an extreme emergency which is why Tolizen and Morris are still here.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Without question this was a trade made for the future.  I think Ballard views him as the long term backup to Luck.  Hopefully he won't need to contribute much this year as that would probably mean Luck is healthy and playing well.

still I don't think he or Luck are going to be available week one other than an extreme emergency which is why Tolizen and Morris are still here.

Yeah my gut tells me we wont see Luck until the Division games start. Maybe a game before that if he feels confident about playing.

Yeah my gut tells me we wont see Luck until the Division games start. Maybe a game before that if he feels confident about playing.

JMV who has been as right as anyone when it comes the status of Colts QBs keeps saying week three.  Take that for what it's worth.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

JMV who has been as right as anyone when it comes the status of Colts QBs keeps saying week three.  Take that for what it's worth.

Yeah I had to go back and look at the schedule. Divisional games dont start till about Week 6 so I think what JMV said is more in line with my thinking. I thought we started divisional play around week 4 but I was wrong.

44 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Kapernick is not a NFL QB it is that simple just watch his footwork it is years away from being near NFL level and couple that with injuries that keep him from having the burst to escape pressure and create plays there is no place for him in the NFL . We got a draft pick and a capable back up QB for two often injured players win win for the Colts . 

That's totally ridiculous. He is better than back ups such as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Scott Tolzien and others that have QB jobs. We all know the real reason why he isn't currently on a NFL roster right now.   Miss me with that bull ish. 

I'm not so much upset with the trade. It has become obvious that Dorsett was on the outs with the staff, and even if he wasn't, they didn't use him properly, IMO. And Holder says the Colts discussed a Dorsett trade with multiple teams in recent days, so I figure the staff and Ballard value Brissett highly enough that this was the best offer, to them. 

But I dread seeing Dorsett in New England. The physical tools are there for him to be a very good player for them. 

8 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That's totally ridiculous. He is better than back ups such as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Scott Tolzien and others that have QB jobs. We all know the real reason why he isn't currently on a NFL roster right now.   Miss me with that bull ish. 

Kaep stinks, believe me. His off the field views have given him a cult of personality that have now overshadowed how bad he has been as a player for a while now. He was declining for years and was a fluke QB when he was good under Jim Harbaugh for a brief time. He benefited from a top defense too. 

The protesting is a reason he is not signed but thats also because he isn't worth the media distraction for the weak caliber of player he is. If he was a good to great player, he would have been signed a long time ago despite politics. If this was Cam Newton for example who did the same kneeling stuff, he would have been signed already.

We don't need his distractions here, we got enough problems as is. Adding more distractions with someone who gets his own rallies is just stupid IMO.

Also with Kaep there are rumors he wants starting money too and it was a reason he was not signed to Seattle.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not so much upset with the trade. It has become obvious that Dorsett was on the outs with the staff, and even if he wasn't, they didn't use him properly, IMO.

Then you figure out how to use him or find coaches who aren't incompetent.  You don't trade him for a freakin backup QB.

31 minutes ago, Jules said:

Kaep stinks, believe me. His off the field views have given him a cult of personality that have now overshadowed how bad he has been as a player for a while now. He was declining for years and was a fluke QB when he was good under Jim Harbaugh for a brief time. He benefited from a top defense too. 

The protesting is a reason he is not signed but thats also because he isn't worth the media distraction for the weak caliber of player he is. If he was a good to great player, he would have been signed a long time ago despite politics. If this was Cam Newton for example who did the same kneeling stuff, he would have been signed already.

We don't need his distractions here, we got enough problems as is. Adding more distractions with someone who gets his own rallies is just stupid IMO.

Also with Kaep there are rumors he wants starting money too and it was a reason he was not signed to Seattle.

If the Colts are childish enough to let that distract them then, they need to re-evaluate their own careers.  

That's a terrible, terrible, worn out, crappy excuse.   

My guess for why he's not on a roster is that he wants too much money.  

NFL teams have no problems signing wife beaters to big contracts.  

Why would they care about what Kap is doing. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

You mean other than the fact that Brissett has started and played well in the NFL regular season and Morris struggled to play with the 1's in the pre-season?!?

Other than that there's almost no difference.

Come on now.....

Like. Also one was a 3rd round pick last year and won a regular season NFL game.

16 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Then you figure out how to use him or find coaches who aren't incompetent.  You don't trade him for a freakin backup QB.

What difference does it make at this point? The coaching staff isn't going to change in the next week. They mismanaged him for two years, and he's not without some blame of his own by the way, and this trade is a reflection of his value right now.

6 hours ago, Roger said:

He replaced Garropolo mid-game, which the Pats were leading and eventually won. He started two games, a win against Houston and a loss to Buffalo.  He must be pretty poised.

Puzzling - he led them to a 27-0 win against Houston's D, and then couldn't score a point against Buffalo!

He hurt his thumb in the game against Buffalo. Went on IR shortly after that game.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

In that Houston game he was 11-19 for 103 yards, no picks, no TDs. He didn't win that game, the team did. He was mostly a footnote, at best a testament to Belichick's greatness. The next week they lost 0-16 to the Bills.

I don't mind adding him. But I think the Colts mismanaged Dorsett severely from the beginning. He also squandered opportunities. It is what it is, but I don't really think Brissett is clearly better than Morris. 

8 carries for 48 yards with a 27 yard TD run.

7 minutes ago, JTrouble said:

Like. Also one was a 3rd round pick last year and won a regular season NFL game.

Let's stop saying he won that game. He didn't. 

And Brock Osweiler was a 2nd round pick who is far more accomplished than Brissett. How much do you want him?

I think this was a pretty solid long term move. I think Brissett has the skill set, size and intangibles to be a big time player with some refining. Also a good piece to have if Luck goes down. Better than we've had in the past. I just don't see what value he will bring this year. Offense will take quite a bit of time to learn. I'm sort of wondering if we will have to carry 4 qbs for the better part of the year.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol that and NE loves taking our old news. Just for fun

Addai

Gonzalez

Collie

Wayne (the worst ever) 

then obviously this year

Surprised they didn't ask Marvin out of retirement

Yeah but those guys they took were injured or not in thier prime lol the recent two are young with potential if coaching could ever put it together 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let's stop saying he won that game. He didn't. 

And Brock Osweiler was a 2nd round pick who is far more accomplished than Brissett. How much do you want him?

He won the game he started. No other way around that. I'm not saying he put the team on his back but they won. I like Morris as well but for some reason the higher ups are unwilling to give him a shot. I have been on the Morris train all preseason. Would rather Morris start than ST. I also agree that PD was not used correctly. It is what it is and if they aren't going to utilize PD correctly or cut him I would rather trade him for Lucks backup for the next 3-4 years. Doesn't hurt that JB has shown he can win a game in the NFL.

1 minute ago, JTrouble said:

He won the game he started. No other way around that. I'm not saying he put the team on his back but they won. I like Morris as well but for some reason the higher ups are unwilling to give him a shot. I have been on the Morris train all preseason. Would rather Morris start than ST. I also agree that PD was not used correctly. It is what it is and if they aren't going to utilize PD correctly or cut him I would rather trade him for Lucks backup for the next 3-4 years. Doesn't hurt that JB he has shown he can win a game in the NFL.

He didn't win jack. The Patriots did. LeGarette Blount had more rushing yards than Brissett had passing yards. The Texans also turned the ball over 3 times.

I don't have a problem with Brissett. I'm just not going to give him credit he doesn't deserve. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I think this trade means is that Luck is likely to miss 3-5 games and Brissett hoefully starts week 1.    But if not week 1,  then he starts week 2, 3,  4 and if need be,  week 5.       Ballard thinks Brissett gives us a better chance to win those games than he does Tolzein and Morris.       And I'm good with that.

I think this trade had nothing to do to who will start in week 1 ... or week 4. Brissett will unlikely start a game for us in near future. He's not a finished product. And he doesn't know the playbook, and won't know it in 2 weeks.

I think this trade is one more of Ballard's long term investments, than a short term thing. Brisett is an upgrade to the backup QB position, because he is more talented. But in addition to that the guy has remarkably similar traits, strengths, etc. to Lucks. Of course, Luck's in an entirely different level, but still, they're quite similar. Which means, he'll be fine - actually perfect fit to - playing by a playbook written for Luck. That is the backup QB the Colts are looking for in the long term.

Imo, that is why they kept 4 QB's on the roster. I am not ruling out that they will start Brissett, but again, I think that is unlikely. Much more likely they will go with Tolzien/Morris until Luck comes back, then release Tolzien, waive then bring back Morris to PS, and keep Brisett on the roster,. as Lucks long term backup.