Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Yates] Colts trade Phillip Dorsett for Jacoby Brissett

stitches

1 hour ago, Synthetic said:

Check the stats for the 49ers defense in Kaep's first 3 years. He didn't get there on his own. This team went 13-3 and won a playoff game with Alex Smith. That defense was in the top 5 every year between 2011 to 2014. These same arguments can be made for Russell Wilson, who everyone thinks is an elite QB even though he's been very average in his career depending on a defense to carry him.

Kaep got exposed late in 2012 and was never the same again. People are forgetting how bad he was in 2014, and 2015, and if it weren't for his political stuff, no one would be talking about him getting screwed. i support his right for freedom of speech, but that don't take away that he's a very mediocre quarterback. 

Go watch the SB he played in....Baltimore had him completely shut down UNTIL the power outage completely took away their momentum. Baltimore was cruising to a blow out in that SB, it would've been something like 41 to 10 or worse if the power don't go out and take away the big momentum they had. 

Counter point - check Ryan Tannehill's stats. He's one of the worst quarterbacks in the league, and yet he has nice stats too from time to time. 

If it weren't for his political views Kap would have a back up job somewhere.

And as bad as Tannehill was he still had a job prior to getting injured.  Which is my point basically.  Whether or not Collin Kapernick sucks or not...others suck just as much or more and they have jobs...Kapernick doesn't because of his political views which is messed up.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/2/2017 at 2:12 PM, IndyEric07 said:

Any qb in the league can be good in the Pats system! Brissett wont show as well in the Colts system!

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

you got that right!

New England isn't the only team running the (modified) Erhardt-Perkins offense. Besides Josh McDaniels, which other Offensive Coordinators run that shceme? Well, to name a few there were/are-

Chan Gailey
Kevin Gilbride
Charlie Weiss
Mike Mularkey
Todd Haley
Mike McCoy
Bill Muir
Ken Whisenhunt
Frank Reich
Mike Shula
Adam Gase
George Godsey (under Bill O'Brien)

There are likely others ( IE: Mike Martz?? ) that I don't know about or can't remember.

It's not just the scheme, folks.  You have to have people to coach it, and players to run it.  With the right folks, many of these guys have been successful.  Adam Gase with Jay Cutler appear to be a team able to have success with it this upcoming year. But sometimes they struggle, just like other coaches in other offensive schemes.

Sometimes this forum makes blanket statements for generality that when scrutinized, just don't hold up.

Unless, you meant anybody_except Jay Cutler can have success in it... 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Three whole drops.

j677fn.jpg

Yes, give him the ball. He'd still be running.

But to your point, if the staff and even his teammates -- like Luck -- don't trust him in those situations, then he shouldn't be on the field in those situations. And you might as well go ahead and trade him.

Speaking for myself, I'm not butthurt over this trade. I know some are, but that's not uncommon. 

I'm not either.  I was a big PD fan, and supported and rooted for him at every step.  It has become apparent that with us, he is who he is.  You also know I have rarely (actually, completely not) been pleased with the way the Colts have handled the backup QB position ever since Jim Sorgi went to the the radio booth (via Eli Manning and the NY football Giants).  This to me is step in the right direction.  The first was realizing their is a need for quality at B/U QB, and making a deal that may pan out by dealing an under performing 1st rounder at a position of relative strength for a promising 3rd rounder at a position of weakness; one that happen to be the most important position on a football club.

Wish PD would have been the next Reggie Wayne type, but...  hopefully JB is the surprise backup QB type.

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I suspect they'll release Tolzien after Luck becomes healthy or JB learns the playbook, whichever one happens first.

Don't hold your breath on that, with Luck's history of injuries happening in the middle or later in the season (2015 Broncos, 2016 Titans etc.), a 3rd QB is necessary.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Don't hold your breath on that, with Luck's history of injuries happening in the middle or later in the season (2015 Broncos, 2016 Titans etc.), a 3rd QB is necessary.

If Luck is out, then Brisset can play. If Brisset can't play, I suppose Tolzien can, or Colts can sign a QB off the street.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I felt the same way with Matt Hasselbeck, who was getting plenty of coin at the time.  He ended up earning every cent of those multi-millions.  You never know what the future holds.

I'd love to be in the Colts coaches meetings.  I'll bet Monachino has tape and notes on him, what he excels at, and what he needs to work on from a Defensive (coach or coordinator) perspective that may have had to face the guy.  Brian Schottenheimer, Chudzinski have access to Colts scouting notes, pre and post draft.  Ballard brings a different scouting perspective on the guy from KC.  It appears this is a team decision, and driven by Ballard to have all levels of the most important position on the field accounted for.

I bert there's a lot of chopping wood going on in those meetings and possibly a cliche contest. 

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

I suspect they'll release Tolzien after Luck becomes healthy or JB learns the playbook, whichever one happens first.

They can't release Tolzien until Luck can play.  Even if Brissett magically surpasses him tomorrow, unless Luck can play or they sign another QB.

Just now, Roger said:

They can't release Tolzien until Luck can play.  Even if Brissett magically surpasses him tomorrow, unless Luck can play or they sign another QB.

That's what I'm saying. Tolzien will play until Luck is healthy and starts playing or Brissett can take over. 

Some people in here have been playing too much GM mode in Madden it seems.  I fully believe Ballard was going to cut Dorsett.  I base this on his 5.8% drop rate, comments from the coach about players not getting on the field with nicks (I believe he was talking about Dorsett) and the old eye test, watching him in games, and when the team needed him to get separation, run the right route, or not drop the ball on third down, he failed them over and over again.

Our backup QBs going into this year were Scott Tolzien, Stephen Morris and Philip Walker.  They didn't spend any draft picks on improving that position because we had too many holes to fix on defense.  BB calls you and offers you a player that you like for a player that you don't, and know you are going to cut... where do I sign?  

It is that simple, people are over complicating it because it is the evil Patriots and they are going to make us look foolish.  Newsflash, the Patriots make 30 other teams look foolish too with the totality of their transactions.  But I think we boned them on the Allen trade, and I think we boned them on the Dorsett trade.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Barring major, drastic developments, I'm expecting them to carry 3 all year.