Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Yates] Colts trade Phillip Dorsett for Jacoby Brissett

stitches

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

I really don't get why people hate this trade. Most of you hate it because we're trading with the Patriots, which makes no sense. We aren't competing, and Ballard isn't scared of them. It's a good trade for both sides. Colts get a young backup QB, who still has 3 years left and is likely to be the long-term backup. It's obvious they weren't satisfied with Tolzien/Morris. Pats get a WR to replace Edelman. Colts needed a backup QB and they got one. 

Point I was trying to make too... thank you

24 minutes ago, TheJACKCOLT said:

Your ridiculous and out of your mind if you don't think Brissett (or any other QB for that matter) wouldn't look better playing for that coach in that system with that team, than they would playing for Pagano in the Colts system with the Colts team. Cassel never started a game in college, but when Brady got hurt he throw for over 400 yes in two games and went to the pro bowl, got a big contract and never could hold down a starting job again In his career and he is just one of the backups that has looked all world with that coach team and system, yeah and after five super bowl wins, I would say this coach and system is on to something. 

You said any QB can make the non-challenging throws in the Pats offense.  That's stupid.

My statement was accurate. If the Pats system was so easy, everyone would copy it.

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

So, we've still got four QBs and a total of 54 players on the roster, right?

maybe somebody has inquired about trading for one of them.  all 4 of them probably have some type of trade value, though we obviously are not dealing luck 

3 hours ago, Imped said:

Seriously? That's disappointing. Watch....Dorsett will be a Pro Bowler in NE.

Sure he will.  He'll fit right in that system they run over there.  He wasn't amounting to anything here though so he had to go. He was a bust in Indy. He'll do no wrong with Brady feeding passes.  lol  

Colin Kapernick is better than this Jacoby Brissett  and we could have still kept Dorsett or traded him later to another team.  Just sayin. Colts are really helping out the Pats this year.  Ballard needs to be talked to.

Never trust Patriot backup QBs.  They are never as good as they seem outside of Belichick's system.

I don't understand this trade. 

Dorsett was ineffective during his Colts tenure, but he wasn't always properly utilized. 

Why would we trade for Jacoby Brissett? He comes from playing with BB, who almost always gets the most of his players. Pags does not do the same, and in most cases this coaching staff actually holds their players back.

Last, WHY WOULD WE TRADE WITH THE PATS? SMH

2 hours ago, Roger said:

He replaced Garropolo mid-game, which the Pats were leading and eventually won. He started two games, a win against Houston and a loss to Buffalo.  He must be pretty poised.

Puzzling - he led them to a 27-0 win against Houston's D, and then couldn't score a point against Buffalo!

Rex Ryan. You have to understand the peripherals. Rex was obsessed with beating the Patriots. When he learned of the Brady suspension he was salivating. When he learned a third string QB was playing, this was his chance to take advantage.

The colts addressed a need that has been ignored for many years... having a back up qb we trust and can have for many years is extremely important... enough of the days of relying on the Curtis Painters Jim Sorgi's and Scott Tolziens of the league if our franchise piece goes down. Job well done Chris Ballard! Big ups to him and all his moves 

LOL. Wow, but first of all its weird. 3-4 days ago I randomly threw out Jacoby's name, and 2-3 of us talked about it a min..........BUT.......I did NOT want to trade Dorsett. I like JB btw. But yes I'm mad about Phillip not doing much of anything his first 2 years, but I wanted us to give him another year anyways. To give him a shot to put it together and live up to his potential. Didn't like the pick when we took him because of need. I wanted Kendricks, Brown, Golden, Clark, and yes I'm straight up LMAO. I also liked 1 or 2 that hasn't done much LOL. PJ Williams in NOLA for 1.

Secondly. As stated above....I don't like this in a way..........But another part of me says. Well even if Dorsett balls out in NE, what if Jacoby balls out with us ? Very, VERY possible. And QB's a much more valuable than a WR....A young, emerging QB can land you really high picks depending on HOW good the QB was. But who knows ? We could get screwed, Dorsett become a PB caliber WR, and JB nothing, we could be ripping them, it could be even, or kinda even. We'll see after this season. This is they're 3rd seasons. It takes some kids 3-4 sometimes more to put it together.. But hey... Welcome to Indy Jacoby. I think you have all the tools and talent to become a good starting QB in this league.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. Wow, but first of all its weird. 3-4 days ago I randomly threw out Jacoby's name, and 2-3 of us talked about it a min..........BUT.......I did NOT want to trade Dorsett. I like JB btw. But yes I'm mad about Phillip not doing much of anything his first 2 years, but I wanted us to give him another year anyways. To give him a shot to put it together and live up to his potential. Didn't like the pick when we took him because of need. I wanted Kendricks, Brown, Golden, Clark, and yes I'm straight up LMAO. I also liked 1 or 2 that hasn't done much LOL. PJ Williams in NOLA for 1.

Secondly. As stated above....I don't like this in a way..........But another part of me says. Well even if Dorsett balls out in NE, what if Jacoby balls out with us ? Very, VERY possible. And QB's a much more valuable than a WR....A young, emerging QB can land you really high picks depending on HOW good the QB was. But who knows ? We could get screwed, Dorsett become a PB caliber WR, and JB nothing, we could be ripping them, it could be even, or kinda even. We'll see after this season. This is they're 3rd seasons. It takes some kids 3-4 sometimes more to put it together.. But hey... Welcome to Indy Jacoby. I think you have all the tools and talent to become a good starting QB in this league.

This is actually just Brissett's 2nd year. He has a ton of talent, which is not refutable. Big arm, can run and has the ability to make the throws we were all praising Morris for making. However he's still very raw, and is prone to making mistakes due to inaccuracy. Let's just hope he's learnt a lot from Bill and Brady about how to be an NFL starting calibre QB, because we're gonna need him to be.  

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still trying to accept this deal but I have to say I think Brissett is a better fit for the Colts system. Hes got the big body and strong arm for the deep throws. Plus he can run a little bit.

I will say it again... he has won an NFL game that wasn't  preseason.  He needs work for sure, but I think he will be better option for us down the road than either of our current guys.  Time will tell I reckon.... personally I was worn out with Dorsett.   

I still dont quite see how he helps us much this year. The Pats system and the Colts system is quite different. I assume it will take him quite a while to pick up the offense. Just like when we brought in Kerry Collins at the last minute and he was a veteran. The only aide I can see is if he was in this exact offense in College.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

This is actually just Brissett's 2nd year. He has a ton of talent, which is not refutable. Big arm, can run and has the ability to make the throws we were all praising Morris for making. However he's still very raw, and is prone to making mistakes due to inaccuracy. Let's just hope he's learnt a lot from Bill and Brady about how to be an NFL starting calibre QB, because we're gonna need him to be.  

Yeah this is his 2nd season. Don't know why I was thinking it was his 3rd. But YES. He has, like you said a ton of talent, he is raw yes. He had some really good moments in those couple starts, and some bad ones, but expect that from a raw rookie QB when he's thrown right into the fire... But he's learned a lot from BB and TB in his first season and this preseason. And IF he puts it together, and say. Starts the first 2 games this year. Balls out. We could be looking at a 1st round pick for him. Even if he plays PRETTY good or Decent we could probably come away with a 3rd.

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I agree , my main problem is he won't start week 1. I think we would have been just as well off with Morris. Likely better with SM because of his experience with this offense, playbook, and teammates. I still expect ST to start week 1, with Morris being his back up. The pats were going to cut JB, we could have got him then. Or anyone for that matter. If we missed out on him, oh well. Luck should hopefully be back by week 4-5. If not this trade makes sense, but taking luck off PUP wouldn't.... we should have cut Dorsett. Still IDK about our WR depth, and rolling with so many Qbs is very concerning. Especially considering depth everywhere else.

I really loved what I had seen of Chris Ballard so far.  Then this trade happened.....

So the Colts trade away a former #1 pick who has potential to the Patriots for a QB who is a marginal third string QB who might not have even made the team.  I don't think he is even has good as Morris.  So what do you gain??  Dorsett for a LB or a pass rusher makes sense.  Even for a mid level draft pick.  But guys like Brissett are a dime a dozen, IMHO.  Now Dorsett will do wonders for NE and we got a QB who will likely get cut the minute Luck can play again.  Wow!

4 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I really loved what I had seen of Chris Ballard so far.  Then this trade happened.....

So the Colts trade away a former #1 pick who has potential to the Patriots for a QB who is a marginal third string QB who might not have even made the team.  I don't think he is even has good as Morris.  So what do you gain??  Dorsett for a LB or a pass rusher makes sense.  Even for a mid level draft pick.  But guys like Brissett are a dime a dozen, IMHO.  Now Dorsett will do wonders for NE and we got a QB who will likely get cut the minute Luck can play again.  Wow!

Bill and Robert have done it again.. and the whole league will watch will our mouths open in awe as we watch those criminals go 16-0..

But on the positive side. We now have another 3rd string QB... Matt has been our only 2nd string QB in years..

Funny how so many are bent about the trade...I really don't care one way or another. Dorsett didn't make the most of his time and whether or not it was due entirely (which it definitely wasn't) coaching/playbook he just didn't make himself out to be worth what was paid...period!

i don't think dorsett or Allen in New England will do super well but that's just my opinion.

just like jerry Hughes...we made the right move to trade him...he was not working for us well and he wasn't going to work out...just because he has done well elsewhere doesn't mean at all it was a bad trade. Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah this is his 2nd season. Don't know why I was thinking it was his 3rd. But YES. He has, like you said a ton of talent, he is raw yes. He had some really good moments in those couple starts, and some bad ones, but expect that from a raw rookie QB when he's thrown right into the fire... But he's learned a lot from BB and TB in his first season and this preseason. And IF he puts it together, and say. Starts the first 2 games this year. Balls out. We could be looking at a 1st round pick for him. Even if he plays PRETTY good or Decent we could probably come away with a 3rd.

Yeah, I still don't quite like the trade, but the Colts did just grab themselves a valuable asset in a young backup QB with upside. Could be Luck's long term backup, or as you say, could develop some value in a few starts and net us a sum larger than anything Dorsett could (or couldn't) have gotten us, on and off the field. 

For now, let's just hope he can pick up the offense quickly. Even if he doesn't start vs LA, I expect him to be the QB for the home opener vs AZ.

7 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Anyone who doubts Jacoby needs to watch his last preseason game. I understand it wasn't against top-tier talent, but try showing me Scott Tolzien doing this... 4 passing TD's and a sick juke on a rushing TD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GdXfhKi1s

Well touché ... yea I said right from the get go once this trade broke that we immediately got a much better QB than anyone not named Luck on our roster.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Net result of two trades:

Colts receive: Jacoby Brissett, 4th round pick

Patriots receive: Dwyane Allen, Phillip Dorsett, 6th round pick

Not sure if I like how that comes out for the Colts...

the colts already used that pick on marlon mack

that trade was a win for us imo

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Colin Kapernick is better than this Jacoby Brissett  and we could have still kept Dorsett or traded him later to another team.  Just sayin. Colts are really helping out the Pats this year.  Ballard needs to be talked to.

Never trust Patriot backup QBs.  They are never as good as they seem outside of Belichick's system.

Kapernick is not a NFL QB it is that simple just watch his footwork it is years away from being near NFL level and couple that with injuries that keep him from having the burst to escape pressure and create plays there is no place for him in the NFL . We got a draft pick and a capable back up QB for two often injured players win win for the Colts . 

After getting over some shock of the trade I think I understand it now.  Clearly the Colts weren't happy with the backup QB position based on the pre-season.  So Ballard knew that was going to need to be addressed sooner or later.  He saw a chance to move a guy who had under performed and might very well not have made the final roster and get a guy back he feels can be the backup QB for years to come.  However, with Luck probably out week one and Brissett just getting here he's probably not a realistic option to play Sunday either.  So they have to keep QBs on the roster who could play week one.  I expect as Luck gets fully healthy and Brissett gets to know the playbook to see either Tolizen or Morris cut if not both .

41 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Bill and Robert have done it again.. and the whole league will watch will our mouths open in awe as we watch those criminals go 16-0..

But on the positive side. We now have another 3rd string QB... Matt has been our only 2nd string QB in years..

Don't think NE goes 16-0. But something is in the water in Boston for trades. Celtics managed to get Kyrie Irving too in exchange for a crippled Isaiah Thomas.