Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Yates] Colts trade Phillip Dorsett for Jacoby Brissett

stitches

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't care if Dorsett was going to be cut anyway, I would not have traded him to the Pats. Not only that... if I knew they wanted him I would have traded him to any other team even if it was for a player I was going to immediately cut just to keep the Pats from having a chance to get him. 

This is a stupid trade for the Colts and BB is going to make Ballard and Pagano look stupid whrn he uses Dorsett in a properly to take advantage of his skills. 

What does this have to do with Pagano? How did you figure a way to get some blame on him?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's my question too. Brissett had a great 4th preseason game but I think all in all he and Morris are pretty much on the same level. And they're really close in age so I don't think one has too much higher of a ceiling than the other.

Both also seem to struggle in the same areas, accuracy issues from what I've read.

I'll take Morris

In case you are wondering, Andrew Luck is not going to be ready to play Week 1 vs. Rams. Acquiring Jacoby Brissett adds more competitiveness between all 3 QB's: Scott Tolzien, Stephen Morris, and Jacoby Brissett. Coming off that impressive preseason game vs. Giants (28 of 39 for 341 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 1 interception, along with 3 rushes for 20 yards and a touchdown). I think the Colts are considering starting this Sophomore Vet. Honestly, I think he has potential to win games with the 1st team offense, especially looking up to Tom Brady in his rookie season. Stephen Morris has potential as well posting 1 TD this preseason and no INT's. Scott Tolzien isn't all that impressive. He didn't throw a single TD and threw an INT in the preseason. He's too conservative, and that's how defenses run all over you. I know everyone is upset because the amount of potential Dorsett had in possibly being a top receiver. Look at it this way, the Colts already have that established receiving core in Hilton, Moncrief, Aiken, and possibly Bray and Natson. Don't forget the powerhouse TE Jack Doyle. Our RB's are set too; Frank Gore, Robert Turbin, Marlon Mack, and maybe Josh Ferguson. So we're set on our WR's and RB's. But the QB's are being too conservative. Brissett threw for more yards than our leading passer did in one game than Morris and Tolzien did all preseason. Brissett showed he can run with the ball, which gives us the power to run option plays with Gore and Mack. With that comes tired defenses and so on. The Colts have potential to win games w/o Luck. They just need the right players and plays to do it.

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Lol might as well get RG3 then.  Jacoby couldn't throw accurate enough to be in a pro style offense.  Let that sink in lol.

Also add to it that NE has had a reputation for years of making QBs look better than what they are and I'd say you are a fool to draft for any backup NE QB when you could just get one for free and had actual NFL experience not NE experience. Lol

Maybe Ballard is not a scared of the Patriots as you are?

I am not a fan of this trade but it is a done deal now....like many others I feel Dorsett wasn't used correctly in Indy.  Now watch BB use him correctly and he will flourish...ugh!  Then all the posters that bashed him while he was here can bash the trade, lol.

I watched Brissett play in a few games last year and he looked very good, but so do other back ups in New England.  So I am hopeful he continues to develop and he is not a product of the system.  He is a big kid (23) with a big arm and can run.  He won't be ready for week one but he has potential.  Just wish a 5th rounder would have come back to Indy in the deal....

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What does this have to do with Pagano? How did you figure a way to get some blame on him?

Why wouldn't it reflect on the coach if Pagano couldn't figure out how to utilize a player properly and to best use that player's abilities, but suddenly under a new coach  he is being used in a way he succeeds... I dont see what you are missing. 

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't care if Dorsett was going to be cut anyway, I would not have traded him to the Pats. Not only that... if I knew they wanted him I would have traded him to any other team even if it was for a player I was going to immediately cut just to keep the Pats from having a chance to get him. 

This is a stupid trade for the Colts and BB is going to make Ballard and Pagano look stupid whrn he uses Dorsett in a properly to take advantage of his skills. 

Completely different situation being on that team than being on ours.  

I have read nothing but bickering the whole preseason about our QB's and we trade an under performing receiver that was a bad pick to begin with for someone who has actually WON an NFL game and it is a "stupid trade" Really?  

We are thin everywhere but if we can't score points, and that was pretty much proven by ST and SM, then what is the point of shoring up other positions.  It may not be the best deal, but it wasn't the worst either.

Can we give the guy a chance here before we condemn the GM and the QB?

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Completely different situation being on that team than being on ours.  

I have read nothing but bickering the whole preseason about our QB's and we trade an under performing receiver that was a bad pick to begin with for someone who has actually WON an NFL game and it is a "stupid trade" Really?  

We are thin everywhere but if we can't score points, and that was pretty much proven by ST and SM, then what is the point of shoring up other positions.  It may not be the best deal, but it wasn't the worst either.

Can we give the guy a chance here before we condemn the GM and the QB?

Nope, he doesn't bring enough to the team to give the Pats a piece they want. 

24 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Im going by his two starts from last year. One they shutout texans and he threw 0 tds the other he got shut out by bills throwing 0 tds. The rams front is good not sure if he can make the right throws against them. The throws Morris made versus steelers are the type you need to beat the rams. Great throws while getting clobbered

I definitely feel you because I like Morris too but Brissett has played well this Pre-season. I just think Ballard was going to cut Dorsett and just said what the hell, I'll trade him instead for another QB for insurance.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we were going to cut him anyway and maybe Ballard tried trading him to other teams for a Draft pick but nobody wanted him?

There was talk of other interest, but I think this was an okay trade.  Lets give it a chance before we start fires and grab our pitchforks.  

At the end of the day aren't we glad we have Ballard now and not Grigson?  I know I am.  I have to believe that his experience evaluating players > Grigson.  We just might be able to score now that we have a QB (Backup) that has won an NFL game.  Gee Whiz  (not you 2006, others)

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Nope, he doesn't bring enough to the team to give the Pats a piece they want. 

Not trying to argue, but how do we know yet?  He hasn't played here.  Remember... we suck.  When Luck is playing we can be a tough out, but he isn't.  I have to think the GM is doing what he can to at a minimum improve our chances.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

would rather get nothing for him than help the Pats. 

Now that makes Zero sense.  I was at least giving you some credit before that statement.  Help them what?  They will win with or without Dorsett.  Come on

12 minutes ago, esmort said:

Why wouldn't it reflect on the coach if Pagano couldn't figure out how to utilize a player properly and to best use that player's abilities, but suddenly under a new coach  he is being used in a way he succeeds... I dont see what you are missing. 

What are you even talking about? This is a back up QB that may or may not start for the Colts. Geez, you twist this into a blame Pagano issue?  He is a back up QB. He is raw and needs work and you just have to get your digs in and blame Pagano?  Wow is all I can say.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What are you even talking about? This is a back up QB that may or may not start for the Colts. Geez, you twist this into a blame Pagano issue?  He is a back up QB. He is raw and needs work and you just have to get your digs in and blame Pagano?  Wow is all I can say.

:troll:

15 minutes ago, esmort said:

This is a stupid trade for the Colts and BB is going to make Ballard and Pagano look stupid when he uses Dorsett properly to take advantage of his skills. 

Much ado about nothing.  A year from now, I doubt it matters either way.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

No, my point was about Dorsett... if BB gets good production from Dorsett when Pagano could not... that reflects on Pagano's ability to properly use players. 

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

Y'all are ridiculous. Even if he does breakout in NE, it doesn't make it a bad trade. Just like the Jerry Hughes trade wasn't a bad trade when it was made. For whatever reason, these players weren't working here despite their abundance of potential. We tried and it didn't work. We have a bad backup QB situation here which now, after an entire preseason of whining about why we didn't address it, has been addressed. People already turning on Ballard for trading our #4 or #5 receiver... SMH. 

The Hughes was absolutely a bad trade. We will have to disagree on that one.

Difference here is that at least the Colts have WR depth. 

1 hour ago, Roger said:

That response is so ridiculous I won't respond, except to point out that most teams in the NFL have crappy quarterbacks.  If the Patriots had truly discovered some system that made it easy on crap QBs, it would be emulated. The NFL is a copycat league.

Your ridiculous and out of your mind if you don't think Brissett (or any other QB for that matter) wouldn't look better playing for that coach in that system with that team, than they would playing for Pagano in the Colts system with the Colts team. Cassel never started a game in college, but when Brady got hurt he throw for over 400 yes in two games and went to the pro bowl, got a big contract and never could hold down a starting job again In his career and he is just one of the backups that has looked all world with that coach team and system, yeah and after five super bowl wins, I would say this coach and system is on to something. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

The Hughes was absolutely a bad trade. We will have to disagree on that one.

Difference here is that at least the Colts have WR depth. 

I really like Hughes.... I think Polian was hoping for more out of him early, but he matured pretty well IMO

6 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Now that makes Zero sense.  I was at least giving you some credit before that statement.  Help them what?  They will win with or without Dorsett.  Come on

I dont want to risk helping them at all especially for a backup QB. 

14 minutes ago, esmort said:

No, my point was about Dorsett... if BB gets good production from Dorsett when Pagano could not... that reflects on Pagano's ability to properly use players. 

Now you are pitting Belichick against Pagano? My God. You are so possessed with making Pagano look bad you make up crap when there is no issue.

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

I dont want to risk helping them at all especially for a backup QB. 

I get that and I don't like "helping" them either, but I would like to also see us compete at a minimum before Luck returns.  PD had too many opportunities to make it here and he blew them.  Its not just the coaching it is him too.  So what if he helps a SB favorite with another SB.  We are not in contention so if it helps us short term then I am okay with it.

Now, if we were "right there", missing a piece or two then yeah, but we aren't.  

I really don't get why people hate this trade. Most of you hate it because we're trading with the Patriots, which makes no sense. We aren't competing, and Ballard isn't scared of them. It's a good trade for both sides. Colts get a young backup QB, who still has 3 years left and is likely to be the long-term backup. It's obvious they weren't satisfied with Tolzien/Morris. Pats get a WR to replace Edelman. Colts needed a backup QB and they got one.