Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Yates] Colts trade Phillip Dorsett for Jacoby Brissett

stitches

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is a head scratcher.  No way we carry 4 qbs on the 53.  I'm guessing luck is staying on the PUP

You think the other two warm bodies are secure?  I could see Tolzien getting cut, or Morris.  People on here are clamoring for Morris, but the Colts staff watches him practice every day.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

We could have had Kaepernick for nothing! Tell me in what way is Brissett anywhere close to Kaep?

Kaepernick is locker room toxin.  Why would we want to introduce a cancer like that?  He couldn't start at SF anymore and if he were still any good another team would have picked him up by now.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This is a head scratcher.  No way we carry 4 qbs on the 53.  I'm guessing luck is staying on the PUP

It appears that way. Up until now, the fact that we had not brought in another QB was an indication that Luck was going to be taken off of the PUP. 

We've brought in another QB, and Luck is still on the PUP. There is no advantage in keeping him there until 4 pm est. It doesn't look like he's coming off. Tolzien will be the week 1 starter with Brisett starting the remainder of the games.

I don't expect Dorsett to play up to the level you hope from a first round pick but I do believe he has a lot more to give than what he showed with the Colts. I think New England is likely to do a better job of utilizing him. Even with Edelman injured i'm not sure where Dorsett fits on their depth chart as they have other receivers that will get their share of reps. 

I don't know much about Brissett except he played well know to win a game or so as a rookie. Hopefully he is a clear upgrade over Tolzein and Morris. The Colts don't make this trade if they don't feel that way. 

I think Dorsett is a free agent next spring. The chances of the Colts resigning him were not likely good. This trade (hopefully) gives them a capable backup quarterback for a few years.

Dorsetf was getting cut it could have been nothing in return.  We are keeping Aiken for his size and Rogers and JoJo. Morris has had 2 years to take the job and couldn't hell he fell behind Walker this year. We had to upgrade the QB position. 

I am happy to see Ballard upgrading one of the worst position groups on the team The QB's we had made it hard to evaluate the rest of the team. I'm a little concerned about Luck but we needed an upgrade the position regardless of his status. We didn't want to pay so here we go. 

I cant wait to have a guy drop  back on returns who can go to the house. 

Not sold on this trade at all. What's a QB who missed TC and coming in so late going to offer more than Dorsett for this year?

Kerry Collins all over again. Pagano is a sitting lame duck coach, I can see from a distance.

Maybe the lack of talent on this team is making the choice of "who to keep" harder than "who to cut".

Pretty much out of nowhere huh?

Here's a quick profile on Brissett...

One of the reasons they drafted him was for "off the charts" intangibles, and a strong endorsement from Bill Parcells, who had done some mentoring with him. Big guy, very strong arm, but he's got sort of a big wind-up and his release could be quicker. He's not a true scrambler (he did have a nice TD run in a game last year though) but has good athletic ability. He started against Houston (win) and Buffalo (shutout loss at Foxboro) in 2016. Much like I'm hearing from you guys about Dorsett, it's possible that he wouldn't have made final cuts in NE. A third QB is a luxury if you're thin at other spots. Overal I like him... not the best accuracy, but plays a smart game. 

So Dorsett had fallen out of favor, I take it? Had he missed a lot of games? Any punt return experience while he was a Colt? Sounds like a trade of two guys who might've both been free agents soon.

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Just think if the forum was drafting in 2015, we'd be talking about how great Landon Collins is.  

This team would be no worse if they polled the fans on every decision.  

If they polled only before 5 PM, the decisions would be better.

5 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Oh goodness.

8 minutes ago, MTC said:

DIvbaLRW0AE-gry.jpg:large

"The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Brissett, 24, is coming off perhaps one of the greatest preseason performances by a quarterback in NFL history on Thursday".

Accidentally Phillip Dorsett is coming off Phillip Dorsett's greatest pre-season performance too...

28 minutes ago, Roger said:

I disagree.  The Pats have a complex offense, one that many veteran wide receivers can't learn.  You really think our offense is more complex than the Patriots' offense?  If you do, I disagree with that too.

This is a necessary trade.  Have faith in Ballard. 

It's not about how difficult it easy to learn the system, it's about how incredibly easy the throws and plays are to make in the NE system (very short, high completion percentage passes) rarely ever asked to make a difficult pass or play, for that matter. Playing Quarterback for the Pats is a lot like auto pilot all the pressure is taken off the QB, unlike the Colts where all the pressure (difficult throws and plays) are put squarely on the QB's shoulders, if you think 16 & 7 have sucked wait till you see this guy away from auto pilot. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between Jacoby Brissett and Stephen Morris?

That's my question too. Brissett had a great 4th preseason game but I think all in all he and Morris are pretty much on the same level. And they're really close in age so I don't think one has too much higher of a ceiling than the other.

Both also seem to struggle in the same areas, accuracy issues from what I've read.

2 minutes ago, TheJACKCOLT said:

It's not about how difficult it easy to learn the system, it's about how incredibly easy the throws and plays are to make in the NE system (very short, high completion percentage passes) rarely ever asked to make a difficult pass or play, for that matter. Playing Quarterback for the Pats is a lot like auto pilot all the pressure is taken off the QB, unlike the Colts where all the pressure (difficult throws and plays) are put squarely on the QB's shoulders, if you think 16 & 7 have sucked wait till you see this guy away from auto pilot. 

That response is so ridiculous I won't respond, except to point out that most teams in the NFL have crappy quarterbacks.  If the Patriots had truly discovered some system that made it easy on crap QBs, it would be emulated. The NFL is a copycat league.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between Jacoby Brissett and Stephen Morris?

Seriously?

You mean other than the fact that Brissett has started and played well in the NFL regular season and Morris struggled to play with the 1's in the pre-season?!?

Other than that there's almost no difference.

Come on now.....

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's what my question is too. Brissett had a great 4th preseason game but I think all in all he and Morris are pretty much on the same level. And they're really close in age so I don't think one has too much higher of a ceiling than the other.

Both also seem to struggle in the same areas, accuracy issues from what I've read.

Anyone who thinks Brissett and Morris are roughly the same guy must be posting under the influence.

Night and day.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anyone who thinks Brissett and Morris are roughly the same guy must be posting under the influence.

Night and day.

I admit I've only watched some highlight videos of Brissett and only read a couple brief write ups on him. I don't think there's this huge difference like you're saying but I could be wrong.

I'll at least say I have confidence in that I assume Ballard probably closely followed Brissett coming out of college because of the QB situation in KC. So I'll trust his judgement.