Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Only Colts QB not to throw a touchdown in preseason?

dew5150

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot believe people think it's ok that our backup QB, Scott Tolzien, is going to start the season for us.  

He is freaking terrible.  

Curtis Painter level bad.    

If Luck misses 4 or more games then it is embarrassing that we didn't address this issue at all.   That'd be a complete failure on the management once again.  

And I'm quite confused as to why people think Kaepernick has "character" issues. 

7 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

And I'm quite confused as to why people think Kaepernick has "character" issues. 

i dont think that, but i do think he is not the answer and generally not very good for our system.  hes also not good enough to make a new system just for him 

25 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I cannot believe people think it's ok that our backup QB, Scott Tolzien, is going to start the season for us.  

He is freaking terrible.  

If Luck misses 4 or more games then it is embarrassing that we didn't address this issue at all.   That'd be a complete failure on the management once again.  

First off, Tolzein is WAY better than Painter.  That is not a fair comparison at all.  Plus there is no guarantee that Morris does not inch in there or at least plays during week 1.  

AND

Tolzein has not been that bad.  Not sure why everyone immediately goes to t he worst case scenario after he plays.  He has had some good plays and showed that he can get the job done.  Coaches clearly agree!   

Just now, DaColts85 said:

First off, Tolzein is WAY better than Painter.  That is not a fair comparison at all.  Plus there is no guarantee that Morris does not inch in there or at least plays during week 1.  

AND

Tolzein has not been that bad.  Not sure why everyone immediately goes to t he worst case scenario after he plays.  He has had some good plays and showed that he can get the job done.  Coaches clearly agree!   

Tolzein isn't Good but he is better than Painter, I agree there. Painter was real terrible. I still would love to see Morris out there. I am not sure how Tolzein will hold up with our O.Line? Morris is more mobile and I like the way he stays calm in the pocket at times.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tolzein isn't Good but he is better than Painter, I agree there. Painter was real terrible. I still would love to see Morris out there. I am not sure how Tolzein will hold up with our O.Line? Morris is more mobile and I like the way he stays calm in the pocket at times.

Painter should never be mentioned...lol

Tolzein might not be the ideal backup but it is who we have and he has been bashed on here.  I will not be everyone's favorite when I say he has not played that bad and has shown some improvement during preseason.  Would I still like to see Morris...yes because he has shown some great throws.  The coaches do not agree and I will put my faith in them and hope Tolzein produces when needed.  As far as the o-line, I hope they get their stuff together because no matter who is out there we need to give them some time.  I just hope we run some quick plays to get the ball out early.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think that, but i do think he is not the answer and generally not very good for our system.  hes also not good enough to make a new system just for him 

I think if we had signed him before camp it could have worked. Obviously it's too late now.  

My guess is the Colts don't really know what is going on with Luck and his health and they're gambling on him only missing a couple games.  

But Mr Irsay did say Luck would be ready week one when he had his surgery. And he's said there were no setbacks.  

He's lying somewhere and it's a bad look. 

21 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I think if we had signed him before camp it could have worked. Obviously it's too late now.  

My guess is the Colts don't really know what is going on with Luck and his health and they're gambling on him only missing a couple games.  

But Mr Irsay did say Luck would be ready week one when he had his surgery. And he's said there were no setbacks.  

He's lying somewhere and it's a bad look. 

How do you honestly believe this?  You think that they were not sure on Luck's health?  A business man who is paying Luck almost $25mil a year and you do not think that he has been right there in the docs and trainers ear every step of the way.  Ballard included!  That is just pure stupidity.  Do they hope he plays soon....umm duh!  Has he had any setbacks...again Irsay has 0 benefit for lying about that.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My true colors? What are you even talking about?

Yes he played on a super bowl team. You notice I said TEAM. His style of play fitted what Harbaugh was doing. But as time went by other teams defenses figured out how to defend him and shut him down.

Out offense is designed around a pocket QB and Kaepernik don't fit the bill.

If your insinuating I have a problem with his politics that is a whole different subject. This is about his signing with the Colts and how IMO it would not be a good fit just for a band aid till Luck gets back.

I believe he had the 2nd best touchdown to interception ratio in the league last with 16TDs to 4INTs on a horrible TEAM and they did not have Harbaugh to cater the offense towards his strengths (BUT THEY SOMEHOW FIGURED HIM OUT) yea ok try again.

He is a legit QB in this league.

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Went to a superbowl on a stacked team with one of the best coaches in the league. Trent Dilfer's been to a SB. It doesn't automatically make you great.

And for the record, I do think Kaeperinick is better than Tolzien, however it would be too difficult to rebuild the entire offense in one week to accommodate him for what is likely only going to be like 2-3 weeks of game action (and I was thinking that BEFORE training camp started). Not to mention all the media attention it will bring, I can understand why the Colts and many other teams aren't willing to have him in. 

16TDs:4INTs ratio last year and hes is a lot better than most starters in this league and lets stop with the media attention FOOTBALL IS ABOUT WINNING GAMES PERIOD

9 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Like you said, Tolzein didn't lose that game and, the thing is with Tolzein, he wont lose you many games.  He will play it safe, make the check down throws and potentially make steady progress up the field if he plays well, but he wont win you any games either.

In order for us to win with Tolzein under center, we need our newly formed defense to play strong and the running backs to make a real impact.  I don't think either of those things is implausible, its just not going to be a game plan that would last past week 2 when teams have tape on us.

But for me...the Colts need someone that can win them games...and Morris could be that guy. He showed in preseason that he can make big plays, even when the play/plan breaks down.  

6 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

16TDs:4INTs ratio last year and hes is a lot better than most starters in this league and lets stop with the media attention FOOTBALL IS ABOUT WINNING GAMES PERIOD

No, he isn't better than most starters.  If he was,  He would be on a roster.  

Most of this is nonsense. 

Scott Tolzien played fine in the preseason. What's truly mind numbing is the complete refusal to acknowledge that simple fact. It's borderline zealotry. Tolzien as the starter for a couple weeks is not the disaster you people (and sensational media types) are making it out to be.

Morris has an "It" factor that Tolzien doesn't have, and I think the coaches should seriously consider making him the starter.

I have concerns about Morris' game: he has inconsistent footwork and mechanics, which leads to overthrows and hurt receivers; he evidently doesn't practice well, based on reports from local coverage who say there's a big difference between practice field Morris and game day Morris; his issues in practice likely stem from a lack of preparation or a tenuous grasp of the playbook. I'm also concerned that Morris shines against lesser competition, but will be abused by a front line defensive unit (but not having a better answer to that is partly the coaches' fault, as they buried him on the depth chart behind a guy who can't hit dark with a flashlight for half of the preseason). 

If it were my decision, it would likely come down to who has the best grasp of the playbook and gameplan, and intangibles like leadership and presence would also be a factor. I can't speak to any of those factors as a fan, but if the staff goes with Tolzien, I will assume that it's because he shows a better command of the playbook than Morris.

There is no great separation between the two guys, that's for certain. And I'm not confident either guy could lead us to 2-2 if Luck misses the first month of the season, not with our leaky OL and questionable defense. If they do go with Tolzien (which seems likely), and he's awful in Week 1 (hopefully not because I'm actually a Colts fan), the staff should bench him for Morris. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Most of this is nonsense. 

Scott Tolzien played fine in the preseason. What's truly mind numbing is the complete refusal to acknowledge that simple fact. It's borderline zealotry. Tolzien as the starter for a couple weeks is not the disaster you people (and sensational media types) are making it out to be.

Morris has an "It" factor that Tolzien doesn't have, and I think the coaches should seriously consider making him the starter.

I have concerns about Morris' game: he has inconsistent footwork and mechanics, which leads to overthrows and hurt receivers; he evidently doesn't practice well, based on reports from local coverage who say there's a big difference between practice field Morris and game day Morris; his issues in practice likely stem from a lack of preparation or a tenuous grasp of the playbook. I'm also concerned that Morris shines against lesser competition, but will be abused by a front line defensive unit (but not having a better answer to that is partly the coaches' fault, as they buried him on the depth chart behind a guy who can't hit dark with a flashlight for half of the preseason). 

If it were my decision, it would likely come down to who has the best grasp of the playbook and gameplan, and intangibles like leadership and presence would also be a factor. I can't speak to any of those factors as a fan, but if the staff goes with Tolzien, I will assume that it's because he shows a better command of the playbook than Morris.

There is no great separation between the two guys, that's for certain. And I'm not confident either guy could lead us to 2-2 if Luck misses the first month of the season, not with our leaky OL and questionable defense. If they do go with Tolzien (which seems likely), and he's awful in Week 1 (hopefully not because I'm actually a Colts fan), the staff should bench him for Morris. 

Yeah I even acknowledge that Tolzein looked good vs Pitt and Morris does have some kind of "IT" factor, that is what I love about him. If Luck misses 4 games and we go 2-2, I will be happy. Beating the Rams is a must IMO to go 2-2 though.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hope this doesn't turn into another Kap thread, those aren't lasting long lately, but Kap is absolutely good enough to be on an NFL roster, and right, wrong or indifferent, he's not because of non-football reasons. 

He was on a roster.

He opted out and walked away from 14.5 mil.

Bet he's kinda regretting it now.......

32 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Did you even read what I said? The media factor is only an ADDED negative that wouldn't be that huge of an issue to most teams if Kap didn't require a specific offense built to cater his success.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

No, he isn't better than most starters.  If he was,  He would be on a roster.  

LOL ok but you would rather have Scott tolzien or maybe Blake Bortles yeah ok.

I know real football and the guy can play hands down 

Edited by Grind Hard

49 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Did you even read what I said? The media factor is only an ADDED negative that wouldn't be that huge of an issue to most teams if Kap didn't require a specific offense built to cater his success.

He didn't have Jim Harbaugh offense last year and still produced very good stats what are you talking about. I think you have him confused with Tim Tebow who couldn't read the defense even if they told him what they were running.

Edited by Grind Hard

3 hours ago, ricker182 said:

He is freaking terrible.  

You did not read the article I linked, did you?

1 hour ago, Grind Hard said:

I believe he had the 2nd best touchdown to interception ratio in the league last with 16TDs to 4INTs on a horrible TEAM and they did not have Harbaugh to cater the offense towards his strengths (BUT THEY SOMEHOW FIGURED HIM OUT) yea ok try again.

He is a legit QB in this league.

thats just one stat

his win loss ratio was 1-10 and his yards per game was one of the worst in the league 

im glad you mentioned his team being bad.  the colts are not good without luck either, and kap is not a fit for what we do here.  we ask the QB to read the field and throw it deep to ty, he would be horrible at that

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is that why Blaine Gabbert beat him out in San Fran last year?

He played for a coach that didn't like him and is a racist himself. A coach who traded away star players LeSean McCoy and Desean Jackson but kept a depth player in Riley Cooper REASON HE WAS FIRED IN PHILLY

And if you're your taking Blaine Gabbert over Kap your are crazy

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats just one stat

his win loss ratio was 1-10 and his yards per game was one of the worst in the league 

im glad you mentioned his team being bad.  the colts are not good without luck either, and kap is not a fit for what we do here.  we ask the QB to read the field and throw it deep to ty, he would be horrible at that

Lets just stop with the narrative that he cant read defenses please the guy is a legitimate QB I tired of people tryna act like just because a black Qb that runs really well cant throw just as equally well. HE only had 4INTS but ok he cant read. SMH you people

15 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Colin Kaepernik should be starting for us week 1.    

At the very least though you have to have to QB with the best chance of winning start.  

The Colts can't even manage to do that.

If you want a winning QB to start, why would you want Kaepernick? Hes not exactly been winning the last few years.

17 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Lets just stop with the narrative that he cant read defenses please the guy is a legitimate QB I tired of people tryna act like just because a black Qb that runs really well cant throw just as equally well. HE only had 4INTS but ok he cant read. SMH you people

Ok.  Your true intentions are now obvious. Carry on

Btw, how does Chip Kelly's love of Marcus Marita fit into your "he's a racist" conspiracy theory?

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

If you want a winning QB to start, why would you want Kaepernick? Hes not exactly been winning the last few years.

Also, I think a lot of what they call "character issues" comes down to business.  There were polls that were conducted that showed that most Americans didn't like it that he sat (and others) sat during the anthem.  http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/10/27/nfl-ratings-national-anthem-protests-poll/

It comes down to a business decision.  Kaepernick chose to sit and I'd say that it's his right to do so but when it hurts viewership, owners take notice.  If more people stop going to the games, it hurts income.  

24 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Let's not make a race issue out of a non-race issue.  Everything isn't about race.

Most people on here would choose Morris over Tolzien to start.  Sort of kills your narrative, doesn't it? 

47 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

He didn't have Jim Harbaugh offense last year and still produced very good stats what are you talking about. I think you have him confused with Tim Tebow who couldn't read the defense even if they told him what they were running.

Fair enough. His TD to INT ratio was definitely excellent, however keep in mind the Chip Kelly system is a lot closer to the one Harbaugh ran, than the one he'd be expected to run in Indianapolis. And despite the TD to INT ratio, his completion percentage was garbage, his yards per game weren't good, his yards per attempt were atrocious and his QBR was just plain awful. He failed to push the ball down the field. 

And even if he WAS good at reading defenses (which he isn't), the Colts would still have to adjust the playbook to accommodate a new QB coming in with just a week to prepare for the season. That would effect all the pieces on offense, as the receivers, the O line and the backs wouldn't be practicing the full playbook (which in turn could cause problems once Luck DOES come back). That's a lot of work and a lot of risk for a guy whose realistically only gonna play a few games, and probably lose them anyways considering the Colts roster isn't that good for them to just be successful after picking up a QB off the streets a week before the season starts. 

I think the teams thinking behind keeping Tolzien is have the team playing the regular playbook that they usually use, so that way when Luck comes back, the rust he'd inevitably have in practice and games would be reduced since everyone else around him is already used to the plays and playbook they'd use. The Colts are treating this as a reset year anyways.

And for the record, I do think Kap is better than Tolzien. Much better. But if the Colts wanted him, or any backup for that matter, they should have done it earlier in the offseason (and at that point the extent of Luck's recovery time was not clear).

Anyways, apologies for the block of text. Just my thoughts on the whole thing (good god I never realized I had that many thoughts regarding the BACKUP QB).

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

Let's not make a race issue out of a non-race issue.  Everything isn't about race.

Most people on here would choose Morris over Tolzien to start.  Sort of kills your narrative, doesn't it? 

His protest is certainly about race.  

He has a valid point.  

I think it's funny one small protest gesture has gotten so much attention.  

Seems to be working.

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

His protest is certainly about race.  

He has a valid point.  

I think it's funny one small protest gesture has gotten so much attention.  

Seems to be working.

While Kaepernick's  protest may be about race, economic opportunity, issue of the day, etc, the one who posted was assuming that teams weren't signing Kaepernick due to his race. It gets so much attention because much of the NFL fanbase is a patriotic bunch and find it disrespectful not to stand during the pledge, so it really isn't getting the attention for the reasons that he believes.  

In regards to signing Kaepernick, teams aren't refusing Kaepernick due to race; they're refusing him because it could affect viewing.   

14 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

While Kaepernick's  protest may be about race, economic opportunity, issue of the day, etc, the one who posted was assuming that teams weren't signing Kaepernick due to his race. It gets so much attention because much of the NFL fanbase is a patriotic bunch and find it disrespectful not to stand during the pledge, so it really isn't getting the attention for the reasons that he believes.  

In regards to signing Kaepernick, teams aren't refusing Kaepernick due to race; they're refusing him because it could affect viewing.   

I agree with you there.  

But in my opinion winning is what fans really want.  That's the cold hard truth. A lot ans seem to ignore the domestic violence issues of some players.

But I'm not going to sit here and tell you Kaepernick will carry a team on his back, because he's not that good.  

But I do think he's a respectable backup.  

The problem is that he probably doesn't think he's a backup QB or a fill in and won't take less money.

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I agree with you there.  

But in my opinion winning is what fans really want.  That's the cold hard truth. A lot ans seem to ignore the domestic violence issues of some players.

But I'm not going to sit here and tell you Kaepernick will carry a team on his back, because he's not that good.  

But I do think he's a respectable backup.  

The problem is that he probably doesn't think he's a backup QB or a fill in and won't take less money.

I think he'd do fine here but I'm not sure that we'd pay what he would want.  For some reason, I have the "four games" in my head for Luck's return.  I don't know why.  However, these are games we'd need to win.

Tolzien, though he can make a good play sometimes, probably won't win many games for us.  I see Morris being the better option.   I've posted this before, but I wish they would have kept Josh Freeman.  

6 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I think he'd do fine here but I'm not sure that we'd pay what he would want.  For some reason, I have the "four games" in my head for Luck's return.  I don't know why.  However, these are games we'd need to win.

Tolzien, though he can make a good play sometimes, probably won't win many games for us.  I see Morris being the better option.   I've posted this before, but I wish they would have kept Josh Freeman.  

We could really use Freeman right now.  

He wasn't bad at all.