Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns trying to trade Joe Haden??

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-rumored-to-have-joe-haden-on-the-trade-block/ar-AAqWeHY?li=BBnba9I

If so I think this might be a good trade for the Colts presuming it doesn't cost too much.  Considering we have to take on most his contract I would say a 5th round pick would be fair.  If they want much more then that then forget it. 

Browns would have to pay his signing bonus which would leave the Cap hit to the Colts to be 11.2M with 4M in guaranteed salary for this year.

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-haden/284

With Davis hurt and our secondary weak even with him, it would improve our secondary quickly.  Haden can play in Davis's place if necessary or the two of them can play together.

After this year, Davis's contract expires, plus Haden would have no guaranteed money left on his contract and still be under contract for the next 2 years.  This gives us plenty of flexibility as the Colts will not be financially tied to either Davis or Haden beyond this year.  

And quite frankly I'm just not looking forward to watching Melvin play CB#1 for a good deal of time this year.  

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-rumored-to-have-joe-haden-on-the-trade-block/ar-AAqWeHY?li=BBnba9I

If so I think this might be a good trade for the Colts presuming it doesn't cost too much.  Considering we have to take on most his contract I would say a 5th round pick would be fair.  If they want much more then that then forget it. 

Browns would have to pay his signing bonus which would leave the Cap hit to the Colts to be 11.2M with 4M in guaranteed salary for this year.

https://overthecap.com/player/joe-haden/284

With Davis hurt and our secondary weak even with him, it would improve our secondary quickly.  Haden can play in Davis's place if necessary or the two of them can play together.

After this year, Davis's contract expires, plus Haden would have no guaranteed money left on his contract and still be under contract for the next 2 years.  This gives us plenty of flexibility as the Colts will not be financially tied to either Davis or Haden beyond this year.  

And quite frankly I'm just not looking forward to watching Melvin play CB#1 for a good deal of time this year.  

pass

I was wondering when this topic would pop up. No, don't want him. Browns want to get rid of his salary and won't get rid of him for cheap. Not to mention he's injured(only played 1 full season) and isn't very good anymore. He's paid like a top 10 CB but doesn't play like one. He's 28 as well. Hard pass.

Declining performance, nagging injury issues, and a big salary. I got excited when I heard they were shopping him, but as much as we need help at corner, I don't think this is the right move. If they'd give him up for a late conditional pick and pay part of his $11m salary, I'd consider it. 

Just wait them out. Maybe they end up cutting him just to get him off the books...and then he would cost very little. 

But aside from Haden, there are going to be a handful of CBs available after cut downs I think. I would expect the Colts to sign at least two.

A couple of years ago, been jumping up and down to trade for Haden, but wouldn't give up a draft pick for him higher than a 7th now. There are some veterans out there who can be signed to cover for a few weeks that won't cost us a draft pick and probably be just as good as Haden- Leodis McKelvin, Sam Sheilds (if he can play), Kyle Arrington, Kyle Wilson.

4 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

i would rather take darrelle revis or someone in the free agent pool for cheaper price than Joe Haden.

Melvin is better than Revis at the moment. Sad, but true. 

Revis can't keep up with the speed of the game anymore. 

Just now, colts2dasuperbowl said:

I can gamble on revis for cheap price than joe haden. revis can bounce back from horrible 2016 and be decent for us.

We don't need Joe or Revis. PERIOD.

Let the rookies play. 

2 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

Our secondary is already bad with all these injuries and without a veteran presence, we would really suck. It's just an idea of bringing in a guy like Revis and let the rookies learn from him. That's all. =)

Nope.

Pagano can teach our corners how to play. We don't pay players and use roster spots for coaches. That's why Grigson was fired. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

He has a 14mil cap hit...we only have like 16 left??

Cap hit would be 11.2 to us.  When a player is traded away the team trading him has to take the cap hit on any remaining signing bonus that hasn't been pro-rated.

And our cap space is 21.5 M according to overthecap.com

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I really just hope I'm not going to have to spend this year watching Melvin try to D-up on #1 receivers.  

I wouldn't see this as being much worse than watching Haden being beat...but yet his paycheck is larger so that would be worse.

A lot of the players you hear being shopped now are players with high salaries.   I think we could wait until they are released and then try to get them at a lower salary if we are interested.  Haden, Ward, Osweiler, maybe even Wilkerson could be released.  Maybe more surprises yet to come.   It's going to be an interesting week watching Ballard at work.

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I'm good. Declining talent with a massive salary and we need all the draft picks we can get. Let Quincy and Hairston show what they have. We aren't in win now mode at the moment.

Agreed. This team is a few years away...keep to the plan. With the issues surrounding Luck and Kelly and now Vontae...lets just focus on playing the youngsters and getting better. Hopefully in a couple years with some more additions we will be ready to compete for a championship....even with some drastic moves we would be lucky to be a playoff contender. That cap space is valuable...and I think Haden is a troubled player that is not on the upswing.

1 hour ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

Our secondary is already bad with all these injuries and without a veteran presence, we would really suck. It's just an idea of bringing in a guy like Revis and let the rookies learn from him. That's all. =)

Revis is guaranteed 6 million dollars just to sit at home. Anything he gets over that is what it would take to get him off his butt...one that I'm sure is getting fatter by the day with him not working out. He was old and out of shape last year....it would be a disaster trying to bring him in now. Maybe he can help coach the secondary...but he certainly isn't playing.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Revis is guaranteed 6 million dollars just to sit at home. Anything he gets over that is what it would take to get him off his butt...one that I'm sure is getting fatter by the day with him not working out. He was old and out of shape last year....it would be a disaster trying to bring him in now. Maybe he can help coach the secondary...but he certainly isn't playing.

Actually...the Jets owe him the $6 mil so if a team offers something low he would still have the incentive to play because it is money on top of what the Jets are paying (depending on the amount).  He is also been linked to teams, such as, the Eagles and Giants.  He has been consistently working out in hopes to be signed to redeem last year.  He is one of the best to play the position and he wants to show that again, can he, that remains to be seen.  

But to randomly say he is sitting and getting fat...read first then comment!