Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

57 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I'm watching Ballard work, and I'm very impressed! You want a tough, hard nosed football team that competes, these are the tough decisions that must be made. We are in very good hands. Get ready for some football!

How anyone can  judge Ballard (positively or negatively)  at this point in time is beyond me. 

We haven't even played a real game yet. 

24 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Definitely could of been a mistake drafting him that high. The big problem with me isn't necessarily the cut, it's the fact that every other team has a chance to claim him before we can put him on the practice squad. Despite the fact he was struggling, every other GM knows he was a 4th round pick and his scouting reports, and those factors alone may make one of them take a shot on him for basically free. It only takes one team to do so and we would of basically forfeited a draft pick.

He was drafted too high and my guess is that every other GM knows it.

53 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Anyone thinking we can run a big package with Jones in the backfield?  Does Chud like FB's?  We could use him like one, if he can block.  A lot of options with a back that big.

Spider Y Banana was popular with Bradshaw here, and we had that FB Stanley Havili that caught passes out of the backfield too. However, all of that was under Pep Hamilton. Not sure how Chud would use them. 

57 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Feel bad for Morris. Must suck to outplay the other backups for two straight preseasons only to be waived. I hope some other team gives him a real shot. 

I wish Morris the best. Hopefully he learnt whatever he could based on his shortcomings here so that he can use it to further himself somewhere else. He is still young and probably will get a shot somewhere. Just hope it is not in our division.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

What is an intensive purpose?

Lol

Relax man,  everything will be ok

;-)         xaoq6.jpg

It's funny to make a play on someones spell error.  I think we all knew he meant intents and purposes...

I have to edit out my mistakes all of the time, and i know better!  LOL

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

;-)         xaoq6.jpg

It's funny to make a play on someones spell error.  I think we all knew he meant intents and purposes...

I have to edit out my mistakes all of the time, and i know better!  LOL

I like the phrase "intensive purpose".  I'm going to use it in my next TPS.

I agree with the majority on here that Stephen Morris outplayed Scott Tolzien in the preseason.  There is absolutely something we aren't seeing going on behind the scenes (absorbing the playbook, following correct reads, QB meetings) that is the deciding factor in this.  I still think the Colts may sign him to the PS once he clears waivers, maybe even replacing Walker.  That being said, I still like the trade for Brissett and it is wholly unrelated to Stephen Morris, as the front office for sure was going to start Tolzien no matter who was behind him. 

The fact that we are agonizing over some of these cuts prove that our roster is getting better.  In the past when we needed to cut 47 players, I used to ask can we cut another 20 to go with them?  It is hard because we have our underdogs that we root for (Morris, Natson, Banner) but the fact is that these guys aren't going to be on anyones active roster.

I am intrigued with the Matt Jones signing.  It has been a while since we have had a back with that combination of size/speed.  I hope our coaches can utilize him properly, because we need to run the ball more and more effectively.

I watched the Patriots game on gamepass to see what Brissett looks like.  Basically reminds me of a taller/bigger Stephen Morris.  He had a great game, albeit against 2nd and 3rd string Giants.  The one thing that jumped out to me was the score, 40-38 Giants.  We held the Bengals to just 6 points in our meaningless game.  Not sure if that translates into anything, but I hope it means our depth on defense is starting to get better finally.

6 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I'm disappointed with Colts acquiring that QB from New England. I would have been happy if they started Morris until Luck comes back, with Tolzien as a backup. Then release Tolzien and keep Morris as a backup. This and cutting Natson took away all my excitement about the season. 

Sorry, right or wrong but that's how I feel. 

(I didn't want to make the previous post, and I couldn't delete it.)

5 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I didn't say I lost all my enthusiasm for the season, I may regain it later. But for today this is a downer. It's not as much about Natson, although he was exciting as a WR, as it is is about the realization that the Colts do not trust Morris to lead the team in Luck's absence. I don't understand how much more the guy had to do in the preseason, score a TD on every pass attempt? 

I don't understand the argument about upside, sounds like a cliché too me. The best predictor about the future is still the past, and I think Belichick made another fool of Ballard like he makes of all the other football people in the NFL who never get that he is always a step ahead of everybody else. I also believe Dorsett was not properly utilized by our coaches who rather than playing to players' strengths try to make them fit their rigid schemes. 

OK and if they absolutely wanted to trade him why trade him for a backup QB and to Patriots of all teams? Anyway,

I could go on an on, please understand this not necessarily an argument or disagreement with you, I'm just letting some frustration with the Colts go here.

You said "took away all my excitement about the season." Let's also understand Morris was playing with the 3rd string, against 3rd stringers for most of the pre-season.  That is not a great set of data to predict what he may do in the regular season.

Also, Brisett is likely able to play a more similar role in the offense to Luck than Morris is.  It seems to me like with Morris in there starting, you'd have to change the offense to accommodate him and then readjust and change when Luck gets back.  With Brisett, I feel like we could keep a similar offense in place with him in the line-up and just get a better version of him back with Luck's return, making it easier on the coaches and players to have some sort of continuity.

We don't know that Dorsett was not properly utilized and there is just as big of an argument to say if a player can't adjust to the scheme, maybe he's not that good.  It's fun to speculate that he was improperly used, but he had quite a bit of time to show he wasn't a dynamic returner, he never showed a lot of RAC ability, etc...

We traded at best the #3 WR on this team (more likely #5 or #6) for a back-up QB who is highly likely better than the other back-up QBs we have.  We may have just cut Dorsett or kept him on the bench all year, instead we got something for him.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I write a few sentences...   and you write seven big paragraphs and I don't think you made much of an argument.    It's filled a lot of opinion and far fewer facts.

But why are you specifically responding to my comment about a fan base.    I'm not talking about you.     I'm talking about hundreds if not thousands of fans here.    And by the way, this isn't the first time I've made the comment.    I don't see how you can read what is posted here and say this is an informed fan base.    It's simply not. All opinions are NOT equal.    Everyone is entitled o their own views, but that doesn't make them well informed.  

Look, I spend more time here than I do other sites.   So I like the people here.    I enjoy my time with people here.    But I find most people are far more interested in opinions than they are about facts.

Opinions are more fun.   Facts are more stubborn.    We will just have to agree to disagree.   

You have zero facts in your sentences or this response.  I at least use some statistics to back up some of my claims.  For you to suggest this is an 'uniformed fanbase' is insulting, you don't really seem to post many factual statements.  Here's a fact -- Dorsett has vastly underperformed in his first 2 years in the league after being a first round draft pick.  He's done nothing more than show a few glimpses of hope at WR but mostly has shown he's a disappointment.  We got something valuable for him, when we don't even know that he would have made the team had we not traded him.  Seems like Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers and probably Aiken all had inside tracks on him as WR and Bray beats him as a return man.  I wish him the best in NE... but he really did nothing during his time with the Colts to suggest he was going to break out for us.

17 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

You have zero facts in your sentences or this response.  I at least use some statistics to back up some of my claims.  For you to suggest this is an 'uniformed fanbase' is insulting, you don't really seem to post many factual statements.  Here's a fact -- Dorsett has vastly underperformed in his first 2 years in the league after being a first round draft pick.  He's done nothing more than show a few glimpses of hope at WR but mostly has shown he's a disappointment.  We got something valuable for him, when we don't even know that he would have made the team had we not traded him.  Seems like Hilton, Moncrief, Rogers and probably Aiken all had inside tracks on him as WR and Bray beats him as a return man.  I wish him the best in NE... but he really did nothing during his time with the Colts to suggest he was going to break out for us.

You're so confused about my post that you don't seem to realize I'm completely fine with the trade.     I have a number of posts and interactions in various threads saying I'm fine with the deal.     I think you're cherry picking the Dorsett stats to make him look worse than he was/is...   but at this point the ship has sailed, and as I said I'm OK with the trade.

As for the fan base...   I realize my comment is not a compliment, but that's my view and has been my view for years and I've said so a number of times before.   I know you read my posts so I'm surprised you never seen my comment before.   As I noted in another we will have to agree to disagree.

I like the fan base.   I like the people here and consider a number of people here as friends.    Good friends.   I like their passion.    But IMO opinions count for more than facts and that's not my preference.    But the will of the people wins out and the majority rules.    My opinions are often not that popular and this is just another.

i wouldn't read too much into it.    It's just my opinion and not likely to gain any support here.    On this issue the majority will side with you.  

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

How anyone can  judge Ballard (positively or negatively)  at this point in time is beyond me. 

We haven't even played a real game yet. 

How anyone can judge, when someone else can a positive or negative impression is beyond me. 

It's not about playing games yet, that's next week. It's about developing a hungry, competitive roster.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

respectfully, what the heck are you talking about?

Irsay allowing dumb transactions happen with this team it's bad enough he allowed grigs to mess it up bad but right now as far as these waiver signings some of them make no sense....walker on the PS? He's trash what more do they need to see? Cutting banner they should've cut clark instead and cutting morris which made zero sense but it's early during the ballard era so we will see

I'm not sure this roster is better than last year's at this time, at least if I'm considering injuries. Although the additions of guys like Simon and Hankins definitely help the case for it being better.

It's younger though which is nice. More potential. But I think we still lack a lot of depth in the defensive backfield, the ILB unit, and the offensive line.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

No offense to anyone, but having all these transactions in one thread is a horrible idea.

There are many separate discussions that should happen. 

Reading 26 pages with over 1,000 replies is a total train wreck.

Pass.

The Tolzien/Morris decision deserves to have it's own thread for debate. I don't understand how the better player doesn't make the team, and would like for someone to explain this to me. 

30 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

The Tolzien/Morris decision deserves to have it's own thread for debate. I don't understand how the better player doesn't make the team, and would like for someone to explain this to me. 

I think there is a possible explanation to this. I remember, there were rumors/reports of an early offseason/OTA battle between Morris and Tolzien for the 1st team snaps. I didn't pay much attention, but looking back now, I see a chance that that that battle decided everything. They knew Luck won't be available, so they might wanted to choose one guy early, who will receive the majority of 1st team reps all offseason. Maybe the coaches thought that there is not much difference between the two, so it's more important to pick one guy and make him prepared as much as possible, than letting them compete by the price of sharing snaps.

Maybe that's it. Maybe Morris lost that early battle, which decided his faith. I know, it's maybe not fair treatment, but it's a business, they do whatever they think is the best for the team. And, then came the new guy, Walker, who pushed Morris even further down. Not because he was better than Morris, but because he was PS eligible. The coaches knew that they can put him on PS, so they gave all 2nd team snaps to the guy they can keep, rather than to a guy who they knew they have to eventially release. (Because they wont keep 3 guys on the active roster once Luck comes back.)

And here we are in september. Morris's fate was decided long ago, he was not in consideration at all. It didn't matter how he played. Maybe, if he played like a world beater, next big thing ,they might have changed their minds. But he didn't. He did OK, he was a bit better, but the difference wasn't at a whole different level. The difference didn't worth the change.

Then came yesterday, the Brissett trade, which was a clear indication, that even if Tolzien won the offseason battle, they are not sold on him neither. Not any more. He'll be given the first 1, 2 maybe 3 games - because he was the guy who practiced with the 1st team all offseason -, then they say farewell to him, and go with Brissett. And, despite Walker sucked, they give one year to him in the PS, and see how he develops.

I'm not saying this is how everything happened. This is just one screnario I can imagine as a reasonable explanation, instead of "the whole coaching staff is soo stupid that they don't see what even an armchair fan can clearly see." :)

14 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I think there is a possible explanation to this. I remember, there were rumors/reports of an early offseason/OTA battle between Morris and Tolzien for the 1st team snaps. I didn't pay much attention, but looking back now, I see a chance that that that battle decided everything. They knew Luck won't be available, so they might wanted to choose one guy early, who will receive the majority of 1st team reps all offseason. Maybe the coaches thought that there is not much difference between the two, so it's more important to pick one guy and make him prepared as much as possible, than letting them compete by the price of sharing snaps.

Maybe that's it. Maybe Morris lost that early battle, which decided his faith. I know, it's maybe not fair treatment, but it's a business, they do whatever they think is the best for the team. And, then came the new guy, Walker, who pushed Morris even further down. Not because he was better than Morris, but because he was PS eligible. The coaches knew that they can put him on PS, so they gave all 2nd team snaps to the guy they can keep, rather than to a guy who they knew they have to eventially release. (Because they wont keep 3 guys on the active roster once Luck comes back.)

And here we are in september. Morris's fate was decided long ago, he was not in consideration at all. It didn't matter how he played. Maybe, if he played like a world beater, next big thing ,they might have changed their minds. But he didn't. He did OK, he was a bit better, but the difference wasn't at a whole different level. The difference didn't worth the change.

Then came yesterday, the Brissett trade, which was a clear indication, that even if Tolzien won the offseason battle, they are not sold on him neither. Not any more. He'll be given the first 1, 2 maybe 3 games - because he was the guy who practiced with the 1st team all offseason -, then they say farewell to him, and go with Brissett. And, despite Walker sucked, they give one year to him in the PS, and see how he develops.

I'm not saying this is how everything happened. This is just one screnario I can imagine as a reasonable explanation, instead of "the whole coaching staff is soo stupid that they don't see what even an armchair fan can clearly see." :)

This explanation does make sense, but I really hope it isn't true. Just seems like a really lazy way to decide whom your starting QB will be. You would think that "in game" situations would play a factor on who gets the job

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

This explanation does make sense, but I really hope it isn't true. Just seems like a really lazy way to decide whom your starting QB will be. You would think that "in game" situations would play a factor on who gets the job

It probably does. But if the decision is, "should I start Brian Hoyer or Brock Osweiler for the next 2 games, before I release both?", then it's probably more important who received the 1st team reps and who practiced with the 3rd stringers, than the minor difference in production on field .... which is hardly comparable anyway, because one played with 1st teams, the other with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

6 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

It probably does. But if the decision is, "should I start Brian Hoyer or Brock Osweiler for the next 2 games, before I release both?", then it's probably more important who received the 1st team reps and who practiced with the 3rd stringers, than the minor difference in production on field .... which is hardly comparable anyway, because one played with 1st teams, the other with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I just have a hard time believing that Scott beat Stephen in anything QB related. 

25 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I just have a hard time believing that Scott beat Stephen in anything QB related. 

And I respectfully accept your opinion. But at the same time, let me remind you, that you base your opinion on some preseason games which does not mean a damn thing. Really. Go watch Brock Osweiler's preseason games from last year. The guy was fan-tas-tic. Really. He looked like a seasoned, elite franchise quarterback. The whole preseason, he was killing opponent defenses. Then came regular season.... On the other side, Jameis Winston looked awful in his first preseason. Plain afwul. Then came regular season again...

Think of that, and then, try to anwer this one million dollar question: You know you will get rid of both of your guys pretty soon, because neither good enough. But there comes 1-2, maybe 3 games, and you have to start one of the two before you release both. One guy played a game which meant something already, and he was OK. You also know, that the guy didn't look good in preseason, but looked the best when there was some game planning involved. You also know that the guy knows the playbook, and you can actually gameplan for him. And there is the other guy, who looked quite ok in preseason games against 2nd and 3rd stringers. But you never tested him against first teams. And you never planned a game for him. Actually, you know that the guy has some issues learning the playbook. But, despite of this, maybe he is a bit more talented. Just maybe, because you have never tested him yet. Who do you go with? Again, you are not developing neither, you will get rid of both. You just need the guy who gives you the better chance in those 2 games. Is it really Morris? If yes, then I respectfully disagree...