Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

32 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

The only one I can't get on board with is Banner. Doesn't make sense to me.

As for Morris I kind of understand. Its unlikely any team would want to go into a season with two very young and inexperienced qbs. I'm not a fan of Tolzien either but he does have more experience and leadership. Also wasn't there a rumor that Morris had trouble learning the playbook? Whether we like it or not, there's alot of behind the scenes stuff that goes into making these decisions other than on field play. Especially at qb. 

I don't believe there was any negative rumor about Morris.   But about two weeks ago I asked questions about Morris.    Why was he doing well in games but NOT making headway with the coaches and GM.   

I raised the possibility that he MIGHT have problems that none of us would be aware of.    Like the playbook, or practices,  or audibles, or blocking assignments, etc,    I wasn't saying any of these were true, only that they might be,  they could be.

There had to be SOME reason why the kid couldn't climb the depth chart.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

I can't believe Scott was not waived. He sucks. Ballard and  Chuckwood have serious mancrush on him.

Tolzien will start for 2 games tops and then be let go. Why is everyone not understanding here. Morris could not go to practice squad, so he was waived. BRISSETT is the future backup, so when Luck is ready Tolzien will be cut and Brissett will back him up. End of story lets move on

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Williams was better than Daniels. Banner was the pick we got for Dwayne Allen. In no universe is Tolzien better than Morris. 

Daniels was a blocking machine and a force on ST's. He had drops and penalties that I thought might hurt his chances overtaking Williams. Now we know it didn't.

The truth is Daniels plays very hard, blocks very well, and is willing to go grill to grill with anybody. That won the day.

I'm with the majority on Morris, thought he was a gamer.

Banner was a hard cut most likely, but they have two tackle projects and a game to play Sunday. If he clears waivers, I'd bet they sign him to the PS.

26 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I agree. Something is going on behind the scenes because during live games, Morris played well enough to be ahead of ST, IMO.

It appears that because of Morris and whatever is going on with the backup situation, they felt it was best to add Brisett.

I like the trade It's better than just cutting PD. I'm all for someone ending Tolzien's time here hopefully that's Brissett

4 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Ballard's "dumb decision list" gaining ground on his "good decision list"

I'm watching Ballard work, and I'm very impressed! You want a tough, hard nosed football team that competes, these are the tough decisions that must be made. We are in very good hands. Get ready for some football!

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

WTH!! Banner got Waived! I don't care how bad he may of struggled. You don't cut a 4th round pick you just drafted. Even if the plan is to put him on the practice squad, the odds of him getting claimed are too high. Our O-Line also isn't good enough to cut mid-rounders either. We aren't the Cowboys, in a situation where a pick failed to impress where they knew he'd never make an impact. This O-line, for all intensive purposes is not very good still. Ballard made a dumb move here, regardless of how Banner turns out.

I have a hunch Banner clears waivers and ends up on the PS.  He didn't seem NFL ready and for some team to claim him he would have to be on their roster.  If he's not NFL ready, what team can stash him on their roster for an entire season.  The bad move involving Banner might have been drafting him too high.  Of course I'm no scout and my judgement that he's not NFL ready might be totally off base.

2 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I'm watching Ballard work, and I'm very impressed! You want a tough, hard nosed football team that competes, these are the tough decisions that must be made. We are in very good hands. Get ready for some football!

I still like Ballard and think he was the right hire.  That doesn't mean I can't point out what I disagree with.

6 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I have a hunch Banner clears waivers and ends up on the PS.  He didn't seem NFL ready and for some team to claim him he would have to be on their roster.  If he's not NFL ready, what team can stash him on their roster for an entire season.  The bad move involving Banner might have been drafting him too high.  Of course I'm no scout and my judgement that he's not NFL ready might be totally off base.

Definitely could of been a mistake drafting him that high. The big problem with me isn't necessarily the cut, it's the fact that every other team has a chance to claim him before we can put him on the practice squad. Despite the fact he was struggling, every other GM knows he was a 4th round pick and his scouting reports, and those factors alone may make one of them take a shot on him for basically free. It only takes one team to do so and we would of basically forfeited a draft pick.

Just now, bananabucket said:

I still like Ballard and think he was the right hire.  That doesn't mean I can't point out what I disagree with.

I don't mean to be contrary or argumentative... I just think there has been a long tradition of not building a deep enough and competitive enough roster, to become a dominant champion. IMO, and in my gut, these are the types of moves that build champions.

Schwenke was terrible. Thank heavens he's gone.

Walker is a solid practice squad signing. To those knocking him, he was on a small school college campus literally a couple of months ago. That's a big leap from Temple top the nfl.

Banner was to slow and just had BIG as a quality.

Just now, Douzer said:

I don't mean to be contrary or argumentative... I just think there has been a long tradition of not building a deep enough and competitive enough roster, to become a dominant champion. IMO, and in my gut, these are the types of moves that build champions.

We have needed a legit rebuild for a while. No washed up guys on the backend of their careers or holding on to guys who get a barely passing grade simply because it's the best we have.

Screw that, go through some growing pains and build legit depth and hit on your high draft picks.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Definitely could of been a mistake drafting him that high. The big problem with me isn't necessarily the cut, it's the fact that every other team has a chance to claim him before we can put him on the practice squad. Despite the fact he was struggling, every other GM knows he was a 4th round pick and his scouting reports, and those factors alone may make one of them take a shot on him for basically free. It only takes one team to do so and we would of basically forfeited a draft pick.

Actually only 14 teams can claim him before we can.

1 minute ago, Tracy Denton said:

Are you sure about that? I realize we drafted 15th, but I believe every team has a chance to claim him and if they don't, then he returns to our PS. I don't think we have priority to claim our dropped player to put him on the PS, but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Philip Walker to the PS is baffling to me.

He was 8 of 19 (42% completion percentage) for 61 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT against 3rd stringers. 

I would say say that without a doubt there are better options available.

The whole practice squad looks underwhelming to me, even as a practice squad. I hope there's a gem or two there.

3 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

I could be wrong, but I think the team that claims him has to put him on their 53 man roster.  Thus, it wouldn't make sense for us to claim him.  This is why I have a hunch that he will clear waivers.