Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Didn't think McGill would get cut. Does anyone think a trade is going to be made? 

When can we find out about waiver claims?

Claiming period for waived players ends at noon tomorrow.  We'll know sometime on 9/3, I would expect.  Unless the NFL keeps it under wraps until after all practice squads are selected for each team.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

100% agree. But that's every player on this forum. Which brings me to my overall thoughts now that the cutdowns are done.

For all these people that keep claiming to be shocked over Dorsett, McGill, Natisn, and Ayers, let me say this. All the talks of Ballard needing to prove he's a different GM than Grigson are done. This isn't the Colts team that over values cute little project players and overrates a player that shows a couple good plays. All of the guys Ballard has released, traded, cut, or waived have all been below average players with limited upside. And it's no surprise that a good handful of those guys were Grigson guys. I think Grigson is responsible for this attitude people on this forum have where they get overly enthused about about low ceiling, lowly drafted bottom tier players. Ayers wasn't terrible but he wasn't good. His release isn't shocking. McGill was a preseason monster but nothing special. Dorsett was a bad pick and bad player.

If anything I'm surprised that guys like Good and Green made the roster. But I wouldn't expect either of them to be in the Colts long term plans. I think anyone who is surprised about any of the moves Ballard has made is living in the past.

i concur

36 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Keeping 4 tight ends & Hunt over McGill is crazy.  I just hope McGill doesn't go somewhere in the division. 

If he does, we'll just run straight at him. He'll try a spin move and take himself completely out of the play like he has numerous times this preseason. He's merely an OK player.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

FULL LIST RELEASED

I'm looking at this, and I'm in disbelief that Lavar Edwards isn't on this list. I had him as a definite cut.  So, I went and checked the roster and he's not on it. Just an omission I guess.

Once I sorted the new roster, I discovered we only have 4 ILB's and 3 OLB's. Someone check me on this. Pretty thin there, so a move must be coming...

3 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I'm looking at this, and I'm in disbelief that Lavar Edwards isn't on this list. I had him as a definite cut.  So, I went and checked the roster and he's not on it. Just an omission I guess.

Once I sorted the new roster, I discovered we only have 4 ILB's and 3 OLB's. Someone check me on this. Pretty thin there, so a move must be coming...

I think it is because he is a cut not a waive and that list is just the waived players

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea what point you're trying to make,  but I think I made a strong case that a 4 or a 5 for Dorsett was likely.

It's simple I don't think we get a 4/5 round pick for Dorsett that's it. I really like the trade for Bissett I am thrilled we are upgrading what we have behind Luck. Our QB situation was terrible. 

Every article I read about a trade for Ragland talked about Dorsett and filler. I agree.  Dorsett' has shown in his time in the league his ceiling is a 3rd WR with no special teams help. After Moncrief and Hilton there are no other drafted WR's on the roster and he couldn't secure a spot. I'm thankful we got a 3rd string QB.

43 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I liked what I saw from Stewart that's who I would have kept out of the 3. He has the size for an odd front and a higher ceiling. It will be interesting to see what happens with McGill I thought he was underutilized last year and had value this year. I think he's inconsistent and his flash plays mask his short comings. 

POTENTIAL, that's the factor that's hard evaluate on our TV sets.

8 minutes ago, Douzer said:

The following vested veterans were released:
- OLB Akeem Ayersicon-article-link.gif
- OLB Lavar Edwardsicon-article-link.gif
- RB Daryl Richardsonicon-article-link.gif
- ILB Sean Spenceicon-article-link.gif
- CB Corey Whiteicon-article-link.gif

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Announce-Final-2017-Roster-Cuts/5dc30820-9391-401e-8bdd-40852df5769e

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I think it is because he is a cut not a waive and that list is just the waived players

6 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Yep. Edwards was cut. He was under the "veterans released" list.

7 minutes ago, Douzer said:

4 OLB Mingo Basham Sheard Simon 

Someone explain how Dorsett being traded is a bad thing. This is how you know he sucks: Grigson drafted him. I can listen to the argument that he is young, and could take time to develop. First round picks take time to figure things out. However knowing that Grigson drafted him, coupled with the limited production, you have a crappy NFL WR

46 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

So...

If we didn't have bad Luck, we'd have no Luck at all.

Again, my prediction-

If Luck practices all week a full participation and suffers no setbacks, here are my guesses at starting-

Week 1 - 0.001%

Week 2 - 5%

Week 3 - 65%

Week 4 - 90%

Week 5 - 99.5%

My guess to play week 1, Scott Tolzien. After that, it is where is JB as far as the playbook, and can we put him in with the #1's at practice and do game plan install with him? When we can do that, Brissett will start.  Will that be before Luck returns... to close to call IMHO.

I'm disappointed with Colts acquiring that QB from New England. I would have been happy if they started Morris until Luck comes back, with Tolzien as a backup. Then release Tolzien and keep Morris as a backup. This and cutting Natson took away all my excitement about the season. 

Sorry, right or wrong but that's how I feel. 

(I didn't want to make the previous post, and I couldn't delete it.)

20 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I'm disappointed with Colts acquiring that QB from New England. I would have been happy if they started Morris until Luck comes back, with Tolzien as a backup. Then release Tolzien and keep Morris as a backup. This and cutting Natson took away all my excitement about the season. 

Sorry, right or wrong but that's how I feel. 

You have the right to feel as you want.  Nobody will take that from you.

To me, they are fringe/bubble players, though.  They have to get great fast, or get replaced. It's the way of the NFL.

Nobody knows how much of the playbook these guys know, how they do in film study, how prompt they are to team meetings, what their situational instincts (football IQ) are, how well they know their roles and duties, the detail of their  assignments, ability to diagnose the opponent and their scheme, etc...

@PrincetonTiger coach(es/ed).. ask him if these other things are important too, and not just making splash plays here there...

Being gifted athletically is one thing, but it the sum of the parts that make a player.  We just don't have all of that info.  Our coaches do, and they make decisions based upon the body of information, including game tape.  I have to trust our new GM, and the coaching staff (which has two other former head coaches on it as well!).

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

TY McGill = Caesar Rayford. Gets 2-3 sacks a year in the last game of the season in garbage time, folks actually think he's good.

Same with Drake Nevis.

So true though. There is always a cult like following with fringe players.

John Chick type guys come to mind as well.

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You have the right to feel as you want.  Nobody will take that from you.

To me, they are fringe/bubble players, though.  They have to get great fast, or get replaced. It's the way of the NFL.

Nobody knows how much of the playbook these guys know, how they do in film study, how prompt they are to team meetings, what their situational instincts (football IQ) are, how well they know their roles and duties, the detail of their  assignments, ability to diagnose the opponent and their scheme, etc...

PTiger coached... ask him if these other things are important too, and not just making splash plays here there...

Being gifted athletically is one thing, but it the sum of the parts that make a player.  We just don't have all of that info.  Our coaches do, and they make decisions based upon the body of information, including game tape.  I have to trust our new GM, and the coaching staff (which has two other former head coaches on it as well!).

OK, all that may be true, but tell me what's wrong with Morris and why Bissett and Tolzien are better than him?

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

He was placed on IR.

*Edit - I think. They also released a similar graphic with those who were placed on PUP. Not IR. Confused me.

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

How much worse could Tolzien possibly have played in pre-season? Everybody knows that Scott sucks, and he continues to make the team. Three people in the world think he is good: Irsay, Ballard, and Pagano. 

And what you don't  understand...   what you have NEVER understood is that those are the only three people who matter.   

And by the, there's a fourth...   that's Chudzinski..   his voice matters too.    

Thetes a high probability that these guys know WAY more than you do.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Quote (Marv Levy-

"Depth is great... until you have to use it."

I'd rather have quality depth at the most important position on the club, than any other position.  And with Andrews injury history now, we have to have quality behind him.  I am not willing to give away games becasue the dropoff between the starting QB and his backup is excessive.  JB has some qualities. To wit-

"Big quarterback with an NFL arm. Has the frame and lower body strength to shake off a would­-be sack and extend the play. Possesses competitive spirit and football character needed to be an NFL quarterback. Has a fastball and changeup. Able to step and drive ball into tight windows with plus accuracy or put feathery soft touch on throws when needed. Plays in pro­-style scheme. Has experience under center and is comfortable in boot-­action pass attack. Makes good decisions reading combination routes. Generally accurate passer who excels in intermediate throws. Wolfpack offense features a menu full of challenging deep outs and field side throws, but he has the arm, timing and confidence to handle it. Makes anticipatory throws into developing windows without flinching. Able to bolt pocket and challenge defenses with his feet. Ran less in 2015, choosing to challenge defenses with his arm after extending plays outside the pocket. Has arm talent, strength and moxie to make winning plays with defenders draped on him and completed almost 60 percent of his passes when forced to throw on the move. Rose to the occasion against Florida State in 2014 and Clemson in 2015."

I think he fits Chud's playbook as well.  But his ability to soften throws make it likely the short throw game Luck needs will work for Brissett too.

Admittedly, he's probably better than Tolzein, and he has game experience.  I don't put much faith in preseason stats.  Those who do not learn from Colt Brennan are doomed to repeat him.

So, we won't carry 4 QBs.  Who goes?