Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

About Those Dorsett Rumors

Dark Superman

Maybe Chris Ballard never had any intention of trading Philip Dorsett. Maybe he intentionally had those rumors floating out there in order to give Dorsett a reality check that not even a first round draft pick is safe here. This could be a smart way to motivate someone without causing friction within the locker room. A rumor about Dorsett being available for literally nothing could be the reality check this kid needed. He came to Pittsburgh with a chip on his shoulder and it translated to his performance on the field. I know he can play and produce for this team. He just needed a reminder that he's no better than the next guy in line fighting for a job. Of course, this is based on one fans opinion, but if Ballard unleashed those rumors in order to bring out Dorsett's potential. Well then, you sir are a genius.

10 minutes ago, Colt-King 24 said:

Maybe Chris Ballard never had any intention of trading Philip Dorsett. Maybe he intentionally had those rumors floating out there in order to give Dorsett a reality check that not even a first round draft pick is safe here. This could be a smart way to motivate someone without causing friction within the locker room. A rumor about Dorsett being available for literally nothing could be the reality check this kid needed. He came to Pittsburgh with a chip on his shoulder and it translated to his performance on the field. I know he can play and produce for this team. He just needed a reminder that he's no better than the next guy in line fighting for a job. Of course, this is based on one fans opinion, but if Ballard unleashed those rumors in order to bring out Dorsett's potential. Well then, you sir are a genius.

I, along with many on here, knew Dorsett wasn't being used properly. This is what happens when he is used properly, even for a short time. I'm still worried, once Luck comes back, that they will shy away from Dorsett again though and completely rely on Hilton and Doyle. Hope I'm proven wrong.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I, along with many on here, knew Dorsett wasn't being used properly. This is what happens when he is used properly, even for a short time. I'm still worried, once Luck comes back, that they will shy away from Dorsett again though and completely rely on Hilton and Doyle. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Yea if all wrs get involved the offense would be deadly

56 minutes ago, Colt-King 24 said:

The rumors floating around were started right here in this forum, not Ballard.

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

The Dorsett rumors are just rumors. I don't think there was anything serious behind them.

Or they could have been highlighting him to get his trade value up.  

Ragland would help this team more than Dorsett.  Or maybe a good interior Olinemen.  

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They're gonna shy away from this game plan lol they always make it simple and easy for the backups then luck returns it's a bunch of deep routes.,

The thing i have with the "use him correctly" is that he is another TY. I would rather have one of them on the field with two bigger possession guys that could also help run block while in a spread offense.  

I think Dorsett did well last night because he took TY's spot. Unless TY gets hurt *knock on wood* then he is going to need to be able to do more since he is further down the depth chart. Thats why I think Natson should get the spot (due to return ability and being a decent backup so far), and we really should try and trade Dorsett for a player that would upgrade another position. 

I dunno what Dorsett really is as football player, namely because his game is basically a poor man's T.Y. 

He could be better than that, but he's not filling a need because T.Y all ready goes over the top with pure speed.

He's depth in my estimation. If T.Y got hurt, Dorsett's value and usefulness would be easier to determine.

I didn't understand this pick when it happened. That's how good Grigson was at building a team. Can we fire him again?

14 minutes ago, KB said:

The thing i have with the "use him correctly" is that he is another TY. I would rather have one of them on the field with two bigger possession guys that could also help run block while in a spread offense.  

I think Dorsett did well last night because he took TY's spot. Unless TY gets hurt *knock on wood* then he is going to need to be able to do more since he is further down the depth chart. Thats why I think Natson should get the spot (due to return ability and being a decent backup so far), and we really should try and trade Dorsett for a player that would upgrade another position. 

lol, I just posted a similar thought, without seeing yours...

Great minds ect..

2 hours ago, will426 said:

They're gonna shy away from this game plan lol they always make it simple and easy for the backups then luck returns it's a bunch of deep routes.,

Part of me wonders how much of it is Luck checking into deep plays

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What is Ragland good at?

Admittedly, he may not be all the way back.  But besides Morrison, who has shown anything at ILB?  Bostic looks lost, Spence is apparently lost, and Walker looks like a late round rookie. 

On a different note, I was just thinking, whatever happened to Basham?  

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If i remember right he had a good play in coverage last night. Thats about all i remember hearing of him.

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Admittedly, he may not be all the way back.  But besides Morrison, who has shown anything at ILB?  Bostic looks lost, Spence is apparently lost, and Walker looks like a late round rookie. 

I didn't like Ragland before he got hurt. I definitely don't want him after an ACL. I wouldn't trade Dorsett for Ragland straight up, regardless of our need at ILB and presumed glut at WR (which I don't really think is a glut at this point). 

Let me ask this: What can Ragland do that Morrison can't?

Basham has some work to do. I didn't see him affect any plays. I'm still rewatching, though.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I didn't like Ragland before he got hurt. I definitely don't want him after an ACL. I wouldn't trade Dorsett for Ragland straight up, regardless of our need at ILB and presumed glut at WR (which I don't really think is a glut at this point). 

Basham has some work to do. I didn't see him affect any plays. I'm still rewatching, though.

I wouldn't either but I have never been a fan of Ragland's so maybe I am biased. I just think he's injury prone and slow for the Pro level.

The sad thing is: Philip Dorset will only be traded once he shows that he is deserving of being on the roster, and probably a starter. (I think he makes the roster and is a starter, but that's my opinion).

That's when he may have trade value, when we want to keep him. Otherwise, why would any other tam want him?

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let me ask this: What can Ragland do that Morrison can't?

I think Morrison is our best ILB, but that's not saying much.  I don't want to replace him.  

But our depth at ILB isn't looking too good right now.  Bostic has shown nothing and Walker has been plain bad.  Spence has been in for what, ten plays?  

Ragland's potential is so much greater than anyone we have on our team it's worth the risk IMO.  It usually takes a year to fully recover from an ACL, but if he does we'd have a heck of a player.  Just MHO.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The rumors started on RotoWorld & PFT. The forum discussions were a reaction to those stories.

OK but rumors made up by any media outlet mean exactly zero.

IMO Dorsett is not going anywhere this season. If he plays well he will get an extension right here with the Colts.

Dorsett is a safety net that would be needed in case of injury to TY or Crief.

Now if he was involved in a trade that would bring in a great player that is something different. But I don't think he has shown a great value in the eyes of another team that I know of.

Rotoworld and PFT throw out rumors just to keep people paying attention to them IMO. You throw out enough rumors and you might hit on one once in a while.

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Or they could have been highlighting him to get his trade value up.  

Ragland would help this team more than Dorsett.  Or maybe a good interior Olinemen.  

I'm sorry. Ragland is coming off an ACL injury and I just don't think he's very good.

9 hours ago, KB said:

LOL.. I like either way. One big receiver and 2 smaller ones, or 2 big guys and 1 speedy small guy. But my preference would be one big 6'3, 6'4 beast, Julio Jones, AJ Green type. Big, strong, and just as fast as a Hilton lol.  And another similar big guy, but a little different skill set like a Mike Evans. Vincent Jackson, Kelvin Benjamin type chain moving beast. Then a smaller 5'9-5'11ish speedster like TY, Antonio, Desean Jackson, etc. Then another speedster as the number 4. But the top 3... 2 big studs to throw it up to, and 1 speedster running past everybody. That's whats up.

8 hours ago, Colt-King 24 said:

People who would trade Dorsett for Ragland are nuts.

I would take Edwin Jackson over Reggie Ragland.

Ragland is a Mike and Jackson the Will. Would you take Ragland next to Jackson seems the more appropriate question?  

Air Coryell is designed to go down field but we do not have a line to give Luck time.  We still try it consistently leading to bad a lot of contact on Luck.  That being said the line got better and TY just happens to be a better route runner giving him the chance for the opening that Luck will shoot for.  Dorsett has not shown the same route running but rather looks better on quick underneath routes, which we do not run often at all or when we do he is overlooked.  This is not just because of Chud and the play calling but more on Luck not looking at him as much as he does for the deeper route (TY)  or just the comfort of Doyle or even Gore IMO.  

Also, having two speedsters would be great if we had a solid run game and utilized short routes for them to have the ball in space.  Screens, rubs, slants, and quick out routes.  Then you have Doyle, Swoope, and Moncrief for the big body receptions and red zone.  I think we have what we need they just need to continue to improve and stay HEALTHY!

The steelers start brown, Martavis, and Eli rogers. Brown and eli are both small WRs. It is on the coaching staff to adapt their scheme to put the players in the best position to succeed - That's coaching. Like most young players, Dorsett has made mistakes, but this coaching staff is foolish if they don't find ways to get a guy with Dorsett's speed involved in the offense. A similar player in John Ross just went top 10 in this year's draft. 

19 hours ago, Colt-King 24 said:

Colts need to keep Dorsett. He's cheap and still can play out the next two seasons here on his rookie deal.

Agreed. Only way I wanna deal Dorsett is if Indy can get good value in return, and I don't see the value being there for him yet. Maybe if he has a good season this year then it will go way up. But he is currently playing for cheap for both 2017/2018 so I'd also keep him since he does have talent. Just needs to be a shadow to Hilton and increase his conditioning and work ethic.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:54 AM, Smonroe said:

Ragland's potential is so much greater than anyone we have on our team it's worth the risk IMO.  It usually takes a year to fully recover from an ACL, but if he does we'd have a heck of a player.  Just MHO.

This is where we disagree the most. I don't think Ragland is a fit for today's NFL, he is limited in space, doesn't have great range, and can't cover. That's before the ACL. It's a hard pass for me, I don't want Ragland at all. 

And both he and Morrison are Mike linebacker prospects. They would be the slowest, stiffest ILB tandem in the league, IMO. To me, it's one or the other, and I don't see what Ragland does better than Morrison. He's bigger, and that's basically it. Oh, and he played at Alabama, which is kind of his only saving grace.