Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after game.

Stephen

-Defense was aggressive. You can see them attacking the ball. Simon is a beast. 

-Farley and morrison had some really nice hits

-dorsett had a really nice 32 yard grab attacking the ball in the air

-Gore looked fresh and shifty

-Hairston was kindly getting abused, but he was around the ball

-Tozien looked good and if he put more air on the ball, he wouldnt have thrown a pick. Doyle was open

-Moncrief shrugged off a hit and took a quick slant for 55 yards

-Pass rush was decent. Didnt always get home

-Protection was better, but both tolizen and morris took shots

Players who stood out:

1. Tolzien. He redeemed himself tonight and locked up the backup qb slot. 

2. Dorsett. Strong game. There may just be some light at the end of that tunnel. 

3. Farley. He looked solid back there at safety. I think he made the 53 last night. Strong coverage. Some great hits. Terrific blitz/sack. 

4.  Hairston. Not without mistakes, but he covered and tackled pretty darn well. I think he's on the 53 as well. 

5. Gore. The old man was quick and shifty last night. 

6. Simon. He's the pass rush so far. He's good. Now he needs a sidekick. 

Tolzein did not play well. He played about the same. Morris was clearly better. Tolzein cannot throw the ball down field and he is very stiff in the pocket. His stats look better than what they are because of the Moncrief catch and run. 

One player that did look good was Good. He did a good job at Right Guard and a decent job at Right Tackle. 

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Tolzein did not play well. He played about the same. Morris was clearly better. Tolzein cannot throw the ball down field and he is very stiff in the pocket. His stats look better than what they are because of the Moncrief catch and run. 

One player that did look good was Good. He did a good job at Right Guard and a decent job at Right Tackle. 

Tolzien played very well minus the pick...

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have to take back my initial comments on Farley. I saw his value last night. Played well and saw the instincts. Reminds me of a mix between Bethea and Weddle.

Kid has the instincts showed that last preseason still had a lot to learn but his curve is progressing quickly . 

Nice showing by the team last night.  Any win over Pittsburgh feels good to me. 

Simon is a playmaker.  I was impressed by Farley last night also.  That hit he made in the first quarter near the goal line had me fired up.  He popped that Steeler receiver and seperated him from the football!  That's the kind of Colts hitting that I want to see more of.

Our secondary and linebackers still cannot tackle in space. Seriously, bring in a Rugby coach or something to teach players how to wrap up properly.

Simon is the rock of this team. Farley looked good, missed a few tackles but he was playing with his hair on fire. Hairston is scrappy as heck. Pass rush is still going to be an issue. Sheard is just a bull rusher and Basham is nowhere near ready to contribute. Offense showed they are capable of moving the ball given adequate protection. Still, I think Morris has the most upside at QB. He can make all the throws and makes them look effortless.

12 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Our secondary and linebackers still cannot tackle in space. Seriously, bring in a Rugby coach or something to teach players how to wrap up properly.

Simon is the rock of this team. Farley looked good, missed a few tackles but he was playing with his hair on fire. Hairston is scrappy as heck. Pass rush is still going to be an issue. Sheard is just a bull rusher and Basham is nowhere near ready to contribute. Offense showed they are capable of moving the ball given adequate protection. Still, I think Morris has the most upside at QB. He can make all the throws and makes them look effortless.

Saying Simon is the rock of the defence is pretty premature.. But the guy does show true promise... Hopefully JS can follow suit. 

I heard the first half on the radio, and it sounded like the OL did a real good job run blocking.  Gore was getting some big runs.  On pass blocking, the announcers were saying Tolzien was getting hit  after most throws.  No jail breaks, but quite a bit of pressure.  I know Good played RG, and did a good job.  I'm really glad to see him bounce back.  Who played RT?  Also, it seems Bond had another solid game at center.  He could already be better than Blythe.

Hairston sure can play the run.  He made quite a few plays in a row that forced the Steelers to punt.  Simon and Farley were definately stand out players.  I guess Farley was know as a playmaker at Notre Dame, so I'm not really that surprised.  I loved the clean low penalty first half.  The Steelers were getting eaten alive with penalties.  If we play clean and get takeaways, that could be a lot of fun.

38 minutes ago, Smitto said:

Saying Simon is the rock of the defence is pretty premature.. But the guy does show true promise... Hopefully JS can follow suit. 

Yeah, I just meant that he looks like the one guy you can pencil in and hes gonna do his job to the best of his ability each game. Hes not the most talented guy but he gives max effort and hopefully that can inspire others.

Just about every teams tackling is shaky in the preseason. For that matter between the first 2 regular season games the execution is often times similar to preseason. It gets better as teams move along. I dont think we have a major issue. You would think we gave up 500 yards rushing or something. Yeah there's room for improvement but lets keep in mind its very early in the process and these guys haven't played together very long. There were some good stops out there as well.

12 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, I just meant that he looks like the one guy you can pencil in and hes gonna do his job to the best of his ability each game. Hes not the most talented guy but he gives max effort and hopefully that can inspire others.

Yea, he's the one guy that has had consistent pressure on QBs while he was in. 

Looking forward to having Hankins there to hopefully eat up some space and help in the run game.

Really can't remember the last time we could actually stop the run effectively and consistently and not get gashed. Maybe when Booger was here?

3 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Tolzien actually threw the ball down the field several times and moved well in and out of the pocket, unlike the first two games. He was also accurate to the second level, with the exception of the pick.

I'm happy the real season is almost here, but this D will definitely have some ugly games during the season.

There were times where Pitt guys had nobody within 5 yards.

It is what it is at this point. Dwight, Bob and Robert aren't walking in the door anytime soon.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

My beef with Tolzien is the delay of game penalty. No excuse for that.

Good move by Pagano imo (assuming he knew the clock was running out) not calling a timeout to see if Scott was aware of it which he wasn't.  Having a 3&1 and turning it into a 3&6 can cost games. 

Mingo seems to get a decent amount of pressure at times. Like to see him and Simon rushing together during passing downs. Or Simon and Ayers. Not that I'm down on Sheard or anything. I think Mingo has more sacks than Simon right now. Not by a ton but he does.

Still think Margus Hunt needs to be one of the interior pass rushers. He pushes the pocket, splits the double team quite a bit and he has those long paws to bat passes. Ive liked what ive seen from Margus. To be honest hes made more plays than Henry Anderson and most the other D linemen

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Tolzien actually threw the ball down the field several times and moved well in and out of the pocket, unlike the first two games. He was also accurate to the second level, with the exception of the pick.

We just have to disagree.  He did not attack down field and moved poorly in the pocket. 

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

-Defense was aggressive. You can see them attacking the ball. Simon is a beast. 

-Farley and morrison had some really nice hits

-dorsett had a really nice 32 yard grab attacking the ball in the air

-Gore looked fresh and shifty

-Hairston was kindly getting abused, but he was around the ball

-Tozien looked good and if he put more air on the ball, he wouldnt have thrown a pick. Doyle was open

-Moncrief shrugged off a hit and took a quick slant for 55 yards

-Pass rush was decent. Didnt always get home

-Protection was better, but both tolizen and morris took shots

Hairston showed some speed and made some nice tackles (for loss). Needs some time, yet.