Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now that Kelly is injured

Valpo2004

And Schwenke is off the PUP list it looks like Brian Schwenke is our new starting center for at least half the year.

I know he was with the Titans for a while.  What I don't know is how good he was with the Titans.  Anyone have a history on him??

I also notice he's listed as a C/G.  Is he better at one position then the other? 

I wouldnt say off the pup necessarily means he's the starter.  He may need to kick off some rust and get in football shape.  The coaches havent even seen him in a game situation or even practice (i think). That kid we brought in did a commendable job at Ci believe.

the depth schwenke provides at C and G is big , at the very least though, if he makes the final roster.  Heres hoping he turns out to be a stud for us. I dont know if he is better suited for C or G to answer your question.

also, where did you see Kelly would be out half the year? I must have missed that.

40 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

And Schwenke is off the PUP list it looks like Brian Schwenke is our new starting center for at least half the year.

I know he was with the Titans for a while.  What I don't know is how good he was with the Titans.  Anyone have a history on him??

I also notice he's listed as a C/G.  Is he better at one position then the other? 

Thought he was better at guard then center but well see.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I wouldnt say off the pup necessarily means he's the starter.  He may need to kick off some rust and get in football shape.  The coaches havent even seen him in a game situation or even practice (i think). That kid we brought in did a commendable job at Ci believe.

the depth schwenke provides at C and G is big , at the very least though, if he makes the final roster.  Heres hoping he turns out to be a stud for us. I dont know if he is better suited for C or G to answer your question.

also, where did you see Kelly would be out half the year? I must have missed that.

The news I have read says that Kelly is going to be put on IR for foot surgery.  Presuming he's designated to return that means his earliest return is week 9.  So that's half the season.  

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

The news I have read says that Kelly is going to be put on IR for foot surgery.  Presuming he's designated to return that means his earliest return is week 9.  So that's half the season.  

So much PUP and IR talk with Luck, geathers, etc that i guess i missed Kelly to IR.  Bummer, i didnt think itvwas that bad. That will hurt, no doubt about it.  

This season is REALLY gonna test our resolve.  Prepare for "cliff diving" Colt fans proclaiming the world is ending.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think Schwenke will dethrone Bond pretty quickly.

Bond hasn't had any problems snapping the ball but he's not done all that well in the actual blocking aspect from what I've seen and read.

He's definitely got potential though.

I disagree.  I paid a lot of attention to him during the Dallas game and he was, IMO, the Colts best lineman that game. He switched off well with the guards, he didn't push a lot in the running game but he got excellent position and and then moved his feet around to provide a nice wall.  In pass blocking he was smooth and controlled and didn't give up a lot of ground, no did he stray too far to the right or left to leave a gap open for a delay or stunt.  And he is just so quick with the snap and after the snap.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree.  I paid a lot of attention to him during the Dallas game and he was, IMO, the Colts best lineman that game. He switched off well with the guards, he didn't push a lot in the running game but he got excellent position and and then moved his feet around to provide a nice wall.  In pass blocking he was smooth and controlled and didn't give up a lot of ground, no did he stray too far to the right or left to leave a gap open for a delay or stunt.  And he is just so quick with the snap and after the snap.

I'll take your word for the pass blocking, and my memory could he hazy, but I thought I remember him straight up struggling in the run game.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It was pretty bad.  Unfortunately, I see it two or three times a practice with my 7th grade centers. :)

I loved playing center in 7th and 8th grade. The kids who were bigger at it were bad at snaps and blocking. Blew people's minds with me being smaller but able to hold two at the same time. That changed in high school though, lol.