Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hire Gary Emanuel As Dl Coach

Coltswarriors

Hughes was a DE at TCU. He rushed with his hand on the ground more often than he did standing up.

He was stand up....that is Hughes...hand down he is done...If I am wrong...let it be known...he is stand up...not strong enough...footage I have seen he was stand up. I guess that means he is done here. Cut him now. HA!

The position coach needs to have a good grasp of the gap assignments for every situation, especially if we're going to run a hybrid defense. Those little details get lost sometimes, and good defensive line play hinges almost entirely on the players knowing their gap assignments.

Gap assignments are important, but that is not a position coach responsibility, the position coach teaches them how to get to the gap.
I'm sure Pagano and Manusky will be very hands-on, to the point that it almost doesn't matter whether the line coach knows this stuff or not. But at the same time, I doubt they'd hire someone who couldn't handle this kind of stuff.

I'm not so sure about Pagano and Manusky being that hands on... again that is what the position coaches are for. And I never tried to claim that Emanuel does not know his stuff, I'm just saying he does not need to be a 3-4 dline coach.

No way will Pagano let this defense continue to be bad. I do not think he would hire someone he does not believe is capable of doing the job and doing it well. If Emanuel is used to a 4/3 shouldnt he still know what a 3/4 is and how to teach that? Either way Pagano is the brains behind the plan he will make sure it is all executed thoroughly. He has a lot to prove his 1st year and everyone will be watching him. We need to all give it a chance and see how it goes. There is no way this can be worse then Larry Coyer tampa 2 cover no one dont know how to tackle, get run over, no one is intimidated by defense. Im sick of a weak defense and will shout from the rooftop if I ever finally see us smashin some people.

Gap assignments are important, but that is not a position coach responsibility, the position coach teaches them how to get to the gap.

I'm not so sure about Pagano and Manusky being that hands on... again that is what the position coaches are for. And I never tried to claim that Emanuel does not know his stuff, I'm just saying he does not need to be a 3-4 dline coach.

I know you didn't, not claiming you did. Just saying a lot of the same stuff you're saying. I think the d-line coach will be able to teach whatever the coach and coordinator want him to. That was likely a prerequisite for getting the job in the first place.

I know you didn't, not claiming you did.

My bad.
Just saying a lot of the same stuff you're saying. I think the d-line coach will be able to teach whatever the coach and coordinator want him to. That was likely a prerequisite for getting the job in the first place.

Yes, I am sure Pagano and company feels Emanual will be able to teach what they want him to teach.

He was stand up....that is Hughes...hand down he is done...If I am wrong...let it be known...he is stand up...not strong enough...footage I have seen he was stand up. I guess that means he is done here. Cut him now. HA!

Well, I will let it be known that you are wrong. Hughes played DE at TCU and had his hand on the ground as much as Frathis do in the Colts system (read it was strange to see him play with his hand off the ground). I really don't need to prove this to you because it is the truth, but just use google and start by watching this highlight video if you don't believe me:

Now, maybe he is better suited to play OLB in the NFL (I have no idea, but it is worth a shot for sure), but don't say he played with his hand-up in college because it is a bold faced lie.

Well, I will let it be known that you are wrong. Hughes played DE at TCU and had his hand on the ground as much as Frathis do in the Colts system (read it was strange to see him play with his hand off the ground). I really don't need to prove this to you because it is the truth, but just use google and start by watching this highlight video if you don't believe me:

Now, maybe he is better suited to play OLB in the NFL (I have no idea, but it is worth a shot for sure), but don't say he played with his hand-up in college because it is a bold faced lie.

he may have played that way but he was projected to go to a 3/4 d as an OLB on the pre draft

he may have played that way but he was projected to go to a 3/4 d as an OLB on the pre draft

I think that's the source of a lot of confusion. The talking heads projected him as an outside linebacker because of his size and speed, and the fact that he's athletic but doesn't have great pass rush moves made him suitable for linebacker rather than end. So a lot of the pre-draft talk and boards had him listed as OLB/DE.

But, fact is that he was an end in college. Maybe he played a rover role from time to time, like Raheem Brock did for us, but he was an end. Listed as an end, played probably 95% of his snaps with his hand in the dirt. Not a stand-up rusher, not a linebacker. An end. Can't change that. It's over.

If we want to try him at OLB, which is what he was projected to be in the NFL, then I think that would be a good idea. He still represents a significant investment as a first-rounder. We may be able to find a better way to use him, and it's worth at least a camp spot.

Well, I will let it be known that you are wrong. Hughes played DE at TCU and had his hand on the ground as much as Frathis do in the Colts system (read it was strange to see him play with his hand off the ground). I really don't need to prove this to you because it is the truth, but just use google and start by watching this highlight video if you don't believe me: Won't debate with this vid. I know I had seen clips of him up, but I guess that was not the morm...thanks Larry.