Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hire Gary Emanuel As Dl Coach

Coltswarriors

I want to say 4-3, because I think Ryan Kerrigan played DE for Purdue, and he had to transition to 3-4 OLB to the Redskins. That would mean Purdue plays a 4-3 defense.

yeah he played DE and transitioned to OLB. purdue runs a 4-3 defense but they have mixed it up this past season and i have seen them run a 3-4 defense every now an then but it was new for purdue...but it shouldnt matter hes only a line coach.

It actually would matter a ton because the most difficult switch for us if we truly utilize the 3-4 will be to help our current linemen in thier new roles. 3-4 and 4-3 De's and DT's have extremely different roles and it would seem like a good idea to have a d line coach that understands these roles to perfection.

that makes this hire a bit intriguing

Taking the whole transition into account, the thing that worries me most is switching to the 3-4 and away from the Tampa-2. I know. I know. Tons of you hate the Tampa-2, but we have been pretty successful with it. We also never had all the right pieces put together at one time to really make the Tampa-2 shine. We managed to run it well enough to win a Super Bowl and make a couple of playoff runs where nobody, and I mean nobody, could run on us. IMHO this year;s Draft will be full of Tampa-2 talent and we'll be competing with most the other teams for the 3-4 talent on the board. One of the drawbacks of going with the league's trend toward 3-4 defenses. The 3-4 is not new, so I'm wondering what has caused the movement towards it. Most of our current defensive talent may not transition well to the 3-4, so prepare for losing most of our current players.

I will say Emanual has developed some pretty good players at Purdue. Cliff Avril comes to mind, Shawn Phillips and as you mentioned Kerrigan....there are others, but I am still asleep.

Andy 46, I was a huge John Teerlink fan. I think the only reason he was let go was his son got fired too....kind of like another scenario.

I also watched Purdue this year, in particular Kawann Short who I thought would be a solid third round pick. They mixed the 4-3 with the 3-4. Interestingly when they did this they put short over the center in a zero technique and brought in a rotational DT. While this sounds great for the Colts, I think the 3-4 is going to be a difficult transition, one which will take years to happen. It really depends what the Colts do with Manning.

While Purdue has put a ton of DL talent in the NFL recently, their defense has been unwatchably putrid for a very long time. I'm not sure how I feel about this and I'm a Purdue guy.

Since you are a Boiler-Backer, do you think he is OK as a DL coach? What matters is that he is a good teacher. Pagano is going to have his hands all over the defensive calls. Manusky is a great teacher, but not a great coordinator....I still think this is Pagano's D

Based on the talent he produced that translated well to the NFL, and the fact that he will be working with NFL caliber talent, I am not worried. I am more worried about Manusky, in fact. If Grigson gets the right talent, these position coaches should be able to coach them up.

We hired the Univ. of Pitt. RB coach who had coached Donald Brown in the Big East and DB gets a little more productive. So, these position coaches, they can make their mark but are not the be-all determinant for a team by any means. The OC, DC and ST coaches should be the ones we primarily should concern ourselves with.

The DC - I still think we ended up picking someone that few wanted after Keith Butler snubbed us. ST coach and OC coach - at least their teams were in the top third in their specialty. Not the DC however.

Since you are a Boiler-Backer, do you think he is OK as a DL coach? What matters is that he is a good teacher. Pagano is going to have his hands all over the defensive calls. Manusky is a great teacher, but not a great coordinator....I still think this is Pagano's D

Yes, I have no doubt that he will do a good job with the DL. He helped make a first round pick out of Ryan Kerrigan and has done well with Kawann Short. It seems like he follows after Teerlink in that he puts a premium on rushing the passer. I know this will be Pagano's D. I have just never been a supporter ofthe Danny Hope regime and staff at Purdue so this came as a kind of "meh" hire to me. He will probably do ao good job though as DL coach.

I think we should all give it a chance and see how it goes. I will be so glad to rid oursleves of the dreaded Tampa 2. I don't remember a year where we never let anyone run on us. We have never been good at that. We have had games where we did very well in the past but don't remember it ever lasting long. We have good pass rushers that's about it. I think there are some players on the team now that could transition well into a 3/4. The others will be let go I believe. We will have to draft some talent and sign free agency I'm sure. I do not expect everything to transition smoothly right away but I trust Pagano. I believe he will have his hand in this and he knows what he is doing as far as that goes. I don't know much about this Emanuel guy but if Pagano thinks he is good enough for him then I will trust in that and hope he is right. I'm not really worried about Manusky much because I believe he is just doing more like teaching fundamentals and Pagano is the real brains behind it.

I think that the issue with the team is that the two pricey commodities are going to be playing new positions, are in their thirties, are horrible against the run, and will account for roughly 20% against the cap. Now if Freeney wants to take a drastic pay cut to accommodate he and Mathis while having less of a cap hit, that could allow flexibility. But this team needs three new 3-4 defensive linemen.... I would almost see cutting both loose as a realistic possibility before I would cut a healthy Manning.

I agree we need some new bigger younger D lineman. I think Mathis could fit into the 3/4 but I'm not sure about Freeney. I want us to have some veterans for the experience. I want to see someone rise up as a leader on the defense and take charge. This defense needs to get fired up and ready to smash some people. I want to see them play with a passion. I am hoping Pagano helps light that fire.

AlexMarvez on twitter:

Purdue's DL coach for 2 years and D-coord for 1 year.

IMG00245_normal.jpg

Alex Marvez

Gary emanuel to the #colts is confirmed. New d-line coach.

18 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

http://twitter.com/#...489117745815552

------------------------------------------------------------------

@alexmarvezAlex Marvez

I'm hearing #colts will hire purdue's gary emanuel as their new d-line coach but I have not confirmed yet.

BIO

Gary Emanuel is in his second season as the defensive line coach and his first as the lone defensive coordinator since rejoining the Purdue coaching staff. He previously shared the coordinator duties with Donn Landholm in 2010. He rejoined the Purdue staff on Feb. 4, 2010, and was given sole control of the defensive side on Jan. 3, 2011.

IT Continues with much more

http://www.purduespo...uel_gary00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last season the Boilermaker defense ranked ninth in the Big Ten in total defense, giving up 26.8 points per game. Purdue also ranked ninth in the Big Ten in yards-per-game giving up 395.

In Emanuel's final game, the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, the Purdue defense surrendered 32 points and 485 yards,

but also generated seven turnovers

I'm not sure it would matter would it? Isn't that the coordinators job?

That's a wasted question MCurtis. Most people don't understand the roles of the various coaches and coaching levels. They don't understand that the DC is going to give the position coaches the techniques needed and it's the position coaches responsibility to then teach those techniques.

From DC

Step 1 Get your hands on the outside edge of the shoulder pads 2" from the top.

Step 1a Step one foot to your left with your right foot

Step 1b Find the ball

If pass go to step 3, if run goto step 2

Step 2 look for pulling/trapping guard

Step 2a position self if the C gap...

Position coach then develops the drills and practice routines to teach and improve those skills.

I agree we need some new bigger younger D lineman. I think Mathis could fit into the 3/4 but I'm not sure about Freeney. I want us to have some veterans for the experience. I want to see someone rise up as a leader on the defense and take charge. This defense needs to get fired up and ready to smash some people. I want to see them play with a passion. I am hoping Pagano helps light that fire.

I am with you my favorite Linebacker!!

Based on the talent he produced that translated well to the NFL, and the fact that he will be working with NFL caliber talent, I am not worried. I am more worried about Manusky, in fact. If Grigson gets the right talent, these position coaches should be able to coach them up.

We hired the Univ. of Pitt. RB coach who had coached Donald Brown in the Big East and DB gets a little more productive. So, these position coaches, they can make their mark but are not the be-all determinant for a team by any means. The OC, DC and ST coaches should be the ones we primarily should concern ourselves with.

The DC - I still think we ended up picking someone that few wanted after Keith Butler snubbed us. ST coach and OC coach - at least their teams were in the top third in their specialty. Not the DC however.

I really like your point on Manusky. We missed out on Butler for sure. One thing I will point out is.....this is not Manusky's defense. This is Pagano's defense. Manusky, like Emanual is being brought in to teach. Pagano will not allow a Bend but don't break defense that Manusky is knownn for,,,,very conservative. Pagano will not let this happen.

IMG00245_normal.jpg

Alex Marvez

Gary emanuel to the #colts is confirmed. New d-line coach.

http://twitter.com/#...489117745815552

------------------------------------------------------------------

@alexmarvezAlex Marvez

I'm hearing #colts will hire purdue's gary emanuel as their new d-line coach but I have not confirmed yet.

BIO

Gary Emanuel is in his second season as the defensive line coach and his first as the lone defensive coordinator since rejoining the Purdue coaching staff. He previously shared the coordinator duties with Donn Landholm in 2010. He rejoined the Purdue staff on Feb. 4, 2010, and was given sole control of the defensive side on Jan. 3, 2011.

IT Continues with much more

http://www.purduespo...uel_gary00.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last season the Boilermaker defense ranked ninth in the Big Ten in total defense, giving up 26.8 points per game. Purdue also ranked ninth in the Big Ten in yards-per-game giving up 395.

In Emanuel's final game, the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, the Purdue defense surrendered 32 points and 485 yards,

but also generated seven turnovers

Just like the Manusky hire, this is a teaching move. This is Pagano's defense. Thanks for the info Bayone.

Just like the Manusky hire, this is a teaching move. This is Pagano's defense. Thanks for the info Bayone.

always a pleasure, as direct colts is closing April 1st, I imagine will comment here more time being allowed due to personal responsibilities forever takings up more of my time Re Moms health, even without considering mine

so expect more comments here and there\\

editing back in this

Oh its u Brent, making the move a bitt at a time too, didnt even realize till first posted this & looked at post

always a pleasure, as direct colts is closing April 1st, I imagine will comment here more time being allowed due to personal responsibilities forever takings up more of my time Re Moms health, even without considering mine

so expect more comments here and there\\

editing back in this

Oh its u Brent, making the move a bitt at a time too, didnt even realize till first posted this & looked at post

I am on it my friend! I wish we had news....waiting stinks...ok sucks!!!

That's a wasted question MCurtis. Most people don't understand the roles of the various coaches and coaching levels. They don't understand that the DC is going to give the position coaches the techniques needed and it's the position coaches responsibility to then teach those techniques.

From DC

Step 1 Get your hands on the outside edge of the shoulder pads 2" from the top.

Step 1a Step one foot to your left with your right foot

Step 1b Find the ball

If pass go to step 3, if run goto step 2

Step 2 look for pulling/trapping guard

Step 2a position self if the C gap...

Position coach then develops the drills and practice routines to teach and improve those skills.

The position coach needs to have a good grasp of the gap assignments for every situation, especially if we're going to run a hybrid defense. Those little details get lost sometimes, and good defensive line play hinges almost entirely on the players knowing their gap assignments.

I'm sure Pagano and Manusky will be very hands-on, to the point that it almost doesn't matter whether the line coach knows this stuff or not. But at the same time, I doubt they'd hire someone who couldn't handle this kind of stuff.