Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort Now Says He Can See Peyton Manning Returning To The Colts

GoColts8818

I was out driving last night and heard an interview with Mort. He was asked where will Peyton play next season and the first place he said was Indianapolis which threw the guy interviewing him for a loop. (The guy by the way was Doug Gottlieb). Mort said he could see it happening for the following reasons:

1. The fact we hired Arians as the OC and kept Clyde as the QB coach. He said he saw those as moves that were done to help make Manning comfotrable with the change that was going on in Indy.

2. He pretty much said it's easy to talk about cutting Peyton Manning or if you are Peyton think about leaving in January and February it's a whole other thing to really do it in March when they have to make that call. He said the closer we get to that date the more emotions are going to come into this and he thinks deep down Irsay doesn't want to cut Peyton because he knows how the fanbase will respond not to mention he loves Manning for the same reasons the fans do. He views him as the guy who saved his franchise. He also said he doesn't think deep down Manning really wants to leave Indianapolis and that he honestly wants to finish his career here and while some people can't understand why he would want to stay in Indy that Manning hates change and wouldn't want to leave the city that he has played his whole career in not to mention Manning really means it when he says he wants to play his whole career for one team.

Mort did go on to say that he thought Maning staying in Indy would still be a bit of a long shot but you can't rule it out. He said while he would be surprised he could see a way Manning stays in Indy. He went on to stay if that happens the Colts will still take Luck in the draft. He's said that's the one thing that has not been a question in this whole thing. He was then asked what about RG3 and he said the Colts would take an honest look at him but unless something completely shockng happens he feels the Colts have already decided on Luck but are just waiting to make it offical. He was very clear though that having Manning or not will NOT impact what the Colts do with the top pick.

So take that for what it's worth. Just more media speculation. It'll be interesting to see if people who have done nothing but kill Mort and ESPN now love him since he's the one saying he sees a way that Manning can come back here.

Oh they did get around to talking about landing sports for Manning. Mort says if he doesn't return to Indy he really thinks it's going to come down to Miami and the Redskins. He ruled out the 49ers because I guess Harbaugh has said Alex Smith is his guy again and Mort said Harbaugh is one of those guys when he says it he really means it. He wouldn't completely rule out the Cards but he seemed to think that Manning would not be comfortable with the Cards track record of being "cheap" with good players an letting them walk rather than paying them to keep them. They didn't not bring up the Seahawks who is the other team that has been a major rumored landing spot for him. He also said no way for the Jets. He said no because Manning wont put himself into that soap opera and he wont go to the same city as his brother.

Oh they did get around to talking about landing sports for Manning. Mort says if he doesn't return to Indy he really thinks it's going to come down to Miami and the Redskins. He ruled out the 49ers because I guess Harbaugh has said Alex Smith is his guy again and Mort said Harbaugh is one of those guys when he says it he really means it. He wouldn't completely rule out the Cards but he seemed to think that Manning would not be comfortable with the Cards track record of being "cheap" with good players an letting them walk rather than paying them to keep them. They didn't not bring up the Seahawks who is the other team that has been a major rumored landing spot for him. He also said no way for the Jets. He said no because Manning wont put himself into that soap opera and he wont go to the same city as his brother.

Why would he go to the Skins then and play in his brothers division if he wants to avoid the soap opera?

I do agree about Harbaugh. I am not sure he will turn his back on Smith if he says he will stay with him.

I was out driving last night and heard an interview with Mort. He was asked where will Peyton play next season and the first place he said was Indianapolis which threw the guy interviewing him for a loop. (The guy by the way was Doug Gottlieb). Mort said he could see it happening for the following reasons:

1. The fact we hired Arians as the OC and kept Clyde as the QB coach. He said he saw those as moves that were done to help make Manning comfotrable with the change that was going on in Indy.

2. He pretty much said it's easy to talk about cutting Peyton Manning or if you are Peyton think about leaving in January and February it's a whole other thing to really do it in March when they have to make that call. He said the closer we get to that date the more emotions are going to come into this and he thinks deep down Irsay doesn't want to cut Peyton because he knows how the fanbase will respond not to mention he loves Manning for the same reasons the fans do. He views him as the guy who saved his franchise. He also said he doesn't think deep down Manning really wants to leave Indianapolis and that he honestly wants to finish his career here and while some people can't understand why he would want to stay in Indy that Manning hates change and wouldn't want to leave the city that he has played his whole career in not to mention Manning really means it when he says he wants to play his whole career for one team.

Mort did go on to say that he thought Maning staying in Indy would still be a bit of a long shot but you can't rule it out. He said while he would be surprised he could see a way Manning stays in Indy. He went on to stay if that happens the Colts will still take Luck in the draft. He's said that's the one thing that has not been a question in this whole thing. He was then asked what about RG3 and he said the Colts would take an honest look at him but unless something completely shockng happens he feels the Colts have already decided on Luck but are just waiting to make it offical. He was very clear though that having Manning or not will NOT impact what the Colts do with the top pick.

So take that for what it's worth. Just more media speculation. It'll be interesting to see if people who have done nothing but kill Mort and ESPN now love him since he's the one saying he sees a way that Manning can come back here.

Yep. I think the Colts take Luck.

Whether or not Luck would want to end up sitting on the bench for a while if Peyton stays also remains to be seen. I know what he said, but then again Luck won't want to sit on the bench IMO for more then a season. Just a hunch but who knows at this point.

Why would he go to the Skins then and play in his brothers division if he wants to avoid the soap opera?

I do agree about Harbaugh. I am not sure he will turn his back on Smith if he says he will stay with him.

Not sure just passing along what Mort said. He did say he would make Miami the favorite because they aren't in the same division as Eli.

My guess is that he doesn't think that Manning thinks the Redskins are as big of one as the Jets are. The Redskins just have a crazy owner for the most part that's where the drama starts and ends. Also I think being in the same city as your brother is a little different than just being in the same division as him.

Now get ready for the back lash Go Golts because we both know it's coming from what you heard. haha I can almost say who will post a reply but you probably know who they are so we will see if were right. :highfive:

It's all good I am just passing along what Mort said. He could very well be wrong I'll free admit that right now.

Not sure just passing along what Mort said. He did say he would make Miami the favorite because they aren't in the same division as Eli.

My guess is that he doesn't think that Manning thinks the Redskins are as big of one as the Jets are. The Redskins just have a crazy owner for the most part that's where the drama starts and ends. Also I think being in the same city as your brother is a little different than just being in the same division as him.

Shanahan has always loved Manning so I could see it. The irony with that situation is how Shanny helped Elway have the fairy tale ending to his career.

As for all of this, well you did say this

Mort did go on to say that he thought Maning staying in Indy would still be a bit of a long shot but you can't rule it out.

It's all still speculation.

The one thing I think many do believe is that the Colts will end up with a QB with the first pick and likely Luck. With that being said, if you keep Manning and keep him long term and he can play a while why would Manning want the Colts to spend the first pick on a guy who can't help the team win now?

All of this is a headache and good luck Irsay. ;)

God love you guys for wanting the inside scoop and all, but I have given up on all this back and forth speculation.

If we all have given up on the back and forth specualtion (I have said it many times) then why are our left mouse buttons worn down so much from clicking on every potential thread of information? :excited:

What on earth would entice him to the Redskins? Money? He doesn't need it. Everyone says he wants to go to a team that is an instant contender. Redskins are atrocious. One decent receiver. Running back by committee. I just don't get it.

Well they did beat the Giants twice last year. Gave the Pats all they could handle. The QB situation has stunk there. They had a load of injuries last year.

Miami seems best to me on all the rumored teams. Of all rumored teams he could end up on I think the Skins and Dolphins are the most brought up. Then Cards.

Shanahan has always loved Manning so I could see it. The irony with that situation is how Shanny helped Elway have the fairy tale ending to his career.

As for all of this, well you did say this

It's all still speculation.

The one thing I think many do believe is that the Colts will end up with a QB with the first pick and likely Luck. With that being said, if you keep Manning and keep him long term and he can play a while why would Manning want the Colts to spend the first pick on a guy who can't help the team win now?

All of this is a headache and good luck Irsay. ;)

I don't disagree that it's all speculation just passing it along is all. Still I think Mort's guesses mean more than ours around here lol.

I would say the idea of taking a QB now is that we have maybe the next Manning in the draft and you can't pas on that even if you have Manning and it means that Luck has to sit for a little bit. I also think irsay doesn't feel like if we have Manning that we are going to be in poistion to get another QB like this without going threw another season like this in the future. It also does address the back up QB spot which is a need. Granted not the biggest need on the planet but still a need.

I agree with the last point I am glad I don't have to make the call on this!

I don't disagree that it's all speculation just passing it along is all. Still I think Mort's guesses mean more than ours around here lol.

I would say the idea of taking a QB now is that we have maybe the next Manning in the draft and you can't pas on that even if you have Manning and it means that Luck has to sit for a little bit. I also think irsay doesn't feel like if we have Manning that we are going to be in poistion to get another QB like this without going threw another season like this in the future. It also does address the back up QB spot which is a need. Granted not the biggest need on the planet but still a need.

I agree with the last point I am glad I don't have to make the call on this!

Also, if Peyton is back and cleared there is no promise he plays every single game either. Which though would mean to me if he has risks you have to try to restructure his deal.

Oh Good heavens. I hate this stuff.

I do think Luck is the likely pick though and have felt it for a while. What transpires around it I don't know.......

Has anyone checked the Mayan calendar yet for leads as what is going to happen with Manning? It has to be there, it just has to.

I'll get right on that. I do know that Nostradamus predicted Manning's return to Indy over 450 years ago, so for what it's worth.....

He was right about Hitler, aye?

I'll get right on that. I do know that Nostradamus predicted Manning's return to Indy over 450 years ago, so for what it's worth.....

Well there it is guys, he IS comeing back to Indy!!!! Nostradamas said so 450 years ago, and to think all this time we have been listening to amatuer hour (media sooth sayers).

The answer has been there all the time.

He WAS right about Hitler :yes:

I heard from a reliable source that Nostradamus had the same source as Mort.

BTW, Mort's source is LaCanfora, who's source is Shefty, who's source is Kravitz, who's source is Lombardi, who's source is ... who's source is Mort.

I too have sensed that the chances of manning returning has increased.

No real concrete evidence, just a gut feeling.

The worse the nerve re-generation goes, the greater chance no other team will take a chance, and the greater chance Manning will give the Colts a "break" on $ to allow him to try to make his comeback and the Colts to "do the right thing".

First of all, If Peyton had any say on who they draft, he probably would have had some pull to save some of the coaches jobs that he liked. Irsay wants to keep him, he wants Peyton to retire a Colt. They are going to secure the QB position for the next 15 years regardless. If Manning has a couple more years left, there is no gaurantee he will take every snap. I truly think his ability will have deminished and Peyton will see this and retire after next season. Luck is a junior not a senior. He is young so he has time.

First of all, If Peyton had any say on who they draft, he probably would have had some pull to save some of the coaches jobs that he liked. Irsay wants to keep him, he wants Peyton to retire a Colt. They are going to secure the QB position for the next 15 years regardless. If Manning has a couple more years left, there is no gaurantee he will take every snap. I truly think his ability will have deminished and Peyton will see this and retire after next season. Luck is a junior not a senior. He is young so he has time.

Agree with pretty much everything you said, except about Luck being a junior.

He red-shirted his freshman year. Hence he is considered a red-shirt junior, and has one more year of eligibility to play college football had he not opted for this upcoming draft.

However, academically, he is a senior and scheduled to graduate this spring.

He will turn 23 during the 2012 season.

I think he was referring to the soap opera that is the Jets......not anything to do with the Giants.

This is going to make me vomit a little bit, but why have I not ever seen the Cowboys thrown into this discussion? Does anybody else think that they could be scary with a top-tier QB? Again, same division as Eli, but still......

I think he was referring to the soap opera that is the Jets......not anything to do with the Giants.

This is going to make me vomit a little bit, but why have I not ever seen the Cowboys thrown into this discussion? Does anybody else think that they could be scary with a top-tier QB? Again, same division as Eli, but still......

I think old Jerry is still in love with Romo. And TBH I don't see how much of this past season was Romo's fault. He had a few slip ups (see Lions game) but he played through injuries and it's not like he iced his own kicker and also blew his defenses leads.

I personally don't think Manning will get another SB win anyway right now. Been my hunch for a while.

1 of 32 teams wins a title. SO much has to go your way at the right time besides just having a good/balanced squad.

TBH though, Eli/Peyton/Vick and Romo in the same division would be entertainment at it's finest.

Has anyone else seen this interview?

Doesnt sound like have much to worry about.

Yes, I saw it.

He didn't say anything of substance.

"If Peyton wants to be a Colt, he will" doesn't mean anything to me, since I don't know what Mr. Irsay has in mind when he said...If Peyton wants to be a Colt....

He could mean any of the following:

1) For PM to want to be a Colt, he must be willing to renegotiate his current contract to make it cap friendly

2) For PM to want to be a Colt, he must be happy to be the QB2

3) something entirely different.

He won't go to the same city as Eli but he will go the same division? I doubt that very much. He does not want to compete against his brother in that situation.

He won't go to the same city as Eli but he will go the same division? I doubt that very much. He does not want to compete against his brother in that situation.

Forget the brother.

But, playing vs. THAT pass rush twice a year? *cringes*

What a tough division anyway.

Then again if Peyton leaves and wants a new team at his age he might have to choose the best situation regardless of Eli.

Has anyone checked the Mayan calendar yet for leads as what is going to happen with Manning? It has to be there, it just has to.

Ya know, I'm really ticked at this board. Why didnt anyone think to look at the Mayan Calander? WHY? It was friggin there all along...... geeez

2011-04-29_095644_smiley_fingers_in_ears.gif

i hit like too, but at the same time i did read it. again im not going by anything the press or anyone says anymore. because its just that, speculation. and everyone has their own opinion and then some people take offense to it when others critisize em about their opinion. but good story though

Forget the brother.

But, playing vs. THAT pass rush twice a year? *cringes*

What a tough division anyway.

Then again if Peyton leaves and wants a new team at his age he might have to choose the best situation regardless of Eli.

***Note: After writing the below, I decided that I should probably preface this with a disclaimer that I do not speak for Manning and have no delusions that I know exactly what he is thinking. This is just my gut feeling opinion and nothing more. With that said....

Manning is not going to avoid any team just because he is afraid of the pass rush from the other teams in the division. If Manning leaves Indy, he is going to want to go somewhere that can contend for a Super Bowl. That is not going to happen by cherry picking teams that get by on weak schedules. If anything, going against teams like that twice a year gives a better indication of how well prepared they are to go against playoff teams.

I think Peyton would probably prefer to stay out of Eli's division in a perfect world, but I agree that if push comes to shove he will probably choose the best situation for him to win regardless of Eli.

***Note: After writing the below, I decided that I should probably preface this with a disclaimer that I do not speak for Manning and have no delusions that I know exactly what he is thinking. This is just my gut feeling opinion and nothing more. With that said....

Manning is not going to avoid any team just because he is afraid of the pass rush from the other teams in the division. If Manning leaves Indy, he is going to want to go somewhere that can contend for a Super Bowl. That is not going to happen by cherry picking teams that get by on weak schedules. If anything, going against teams like that twice a year gives a better indication of how well prepared they are to go against playoff teams.

I think Peyton would probably prefer to stay out of Eli's division in a perfect world, but I agree that if push comes to shove he will probably choose the best situation for him to win regardless of Eli.

I do agree that Peyton would choose the best situation if he leaves and wants to play somewhere else.

But, you did say he would likely want to go to a team that can contend for a title. Do people honestly believe the Colts are SB ready?

But, yes I do think Peyton likely has a better shot at a SB and in a tough NFC over being in the AFC. The NFC has become the stronger conference in recent years winning 4 of 5 recent titles.

But, you did say he would likely want to go to a team that can contend for a title. Do people honestly believe the Colts are SB ready?

I said if he leaves Indy....

I'll throw in a little more of my Manning mind reading that is based on nothing more than my gut feeling.

1. I think Manning would prefer to stay in Indy. I don't think he wants to leave. If he wanted out, he wouldn't have signed a new deal prior to this season or would have signed a shorter term deal. He had an opportunity to leave on his own terms and chose not to. I think he is being honest when he says that he wants to play his entire career with one team.

2. I don't think his desire to stay in Indy is unconditional. If he feels that the team is too focused on building for the post-Manning future and paying little to no heed to building a team around him that he can win with right now, he is going to want out. The FO is constantly setting a balance between building for right now and building for the future. That balance is constantly shifting depending on the situation. As we neared the end of Manning's career, my opinion was always that the balance would shift toward winning in the short term to put the best possible team around Manning for his final years with the intent that they would strip the team down, overhaul, and rebuild after Manning retired. With the unexpected oppportunity that has landed in their laps, the FO may now be thinking more toward building for the future. If Manning feels that the balance has shifted too far toward putting future pieces in place for Luck, he is probably going to want to go to a team that is more committed to winning right now.....because he knows that he doesn't have that much future left even if he heals 100%.

3. At the end of the day, it really isn't Manning's choice. It is Irsay's decision whether to pick up the option, and if he does Manning is a Colt whether he likes it or not. Manning only has a decision to make if Irsay chooses to release him.

4. I think Manning would be willing to negotiate a new deal with the Colts if he is released that will not cripple the team as badly in the future if he is not able to play......IF (and it's a big if) he is convinced that the team is sufficiently devoted to putting a quality team around him while he is here. It doesn't have to be completely about winning now, but it can't be completely about building for Luck either. I don't think Manning would want to sign a new cap-friendly deal so that he can play with scrubs for the next few years while the team puts all of its resources into building a team for Luck to take over.

I said if he leaves Indy....

I'll throw in a little more of my Manning mind reading that is based on nothing more than my gut feeling.

1. I think Manning would prefer to stay in Indy. I don't think he wants to leave. If he wanted out, he wouldn't have signed a new deal prior to this season or would have signed a shorter term deal. He had an opportunity to leave on his own terms and chose not to. I think he is being honest when he says that he wants to play his entire career with one team.

2. I don't think his desire to stay in Indy is unconditional. If he feels that the team is too focused on building for the post-Manning future and paying little to no heed to building a team around him that he can win with right now, he is going to want out. The FO is constantly setting a balance between building for right now and building for the future. That balance is constantly shifting depending on the situation. As we neared the end of Manning's career, my opinion was always that the balance would shift toward winning in the short term to put the best possible team around Manning for his final years with the intent that they would strip the team down, overhaul, and rebuild after Manning retired. With the unexpected oppportunity that has landed in their laps, the FO may now be thinking more toward building for the future. If Manning feels that the balance has shifted too far toward putting future pieces in place for Luck, he is probably going to want to go to a team that is more committed to winning right now.....because he knows that he doesn't have that much future left even if he heals 100%.

3. At the end of the day, it really isn't Manning's choice. It is Irsay's decision whether to pick up the option, and if he does Manning is a Colt whether he likes it or not. Manning only has a decision to make if Irsay chooses to release him.

4. I think Manning would be willing to negotiate a new deal with the Colts if he is released that will not cripple the team as badly in the future if he is not able to play......IF (and it's a big if) he is convinced that the team is sufficiently devoted to putting a quality team around him while he is here. It doesn't have to be completely about winning now, but it can't be completely about building for Luck either. I don't think Manning would want to sign a new cap-friendly deal so that he can play with scrubs for the next few years while the team puts all of its resources into building a team for Luck to take over.

Great post and I agree with these parts a lot. Even if Peyton stays I feel he might not be 100% on the wagon if he feels the Colts are headed for TOO much change.

And yes in the end.....it's all up to Irsay.