Great plan until Kelly is signed off the PS quickly because he's better than a great deal of backup qbs in this league...
Then we are back to square one with no plan in place for a backup we are comfortable with.
This is the series of events required but I see one hole.
I don’t believe the want to trade Brissett because of the value he presents Indy should Luck get hurt again which seems at least possible.
The plan seems clear to me. Brissett is here this year. Kelly is the practice squad QB and then gets a real chance to be the back up next year. And they collect a comp pick for Brissett.
Most backups suck, if we are being honest. Several starters suck. If a team feels JB could be a solution longterm, and several analysts feek that way, this article included, then we could receive serious offers this year.
I somewhat agree with the idea above of holding onto a comp pick, but what will that be? 4th rounder? We would be happy with that if a good 2nd round pick was dangled in front of us?
Half a dozen things need to develop in combination before Ballard would receive a legit trade offer on JB, much less seriously consider such an offer:
1. JB continues to improve his level of QB play in the final two preseason games.
2. Luck sits out the first two or three regular season games to continue healing
3. JB plays at a high level in those games and consistently displays starting-QB talent.
4. Luck gets fully healthy and resumes his elite level of play.
5. Kelly returns from suspension and balls out in practices against the starting D.
6. A playoff caliber team loses its starting QB for the season, and their backups suck.
JB is worth more to the Colts than a mid-to-late round pick. A 2nd rounder? Maybe.
Here is the thing though. The first few days of Camp there are videos of him doing these exact same drills. It’s in videos the colts put out. They acted like he broke his ankle or did something else to it after he decided to quit practicing. I