Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steelers Won't Retain Hines Ward

KyFan18

?

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Pass Attempts in Marvins Career- 7,169

Pass Attempts in Hines Career, with a two year cushion-6,759

How does that translate to not getting open?

Im still waiting for the bashing proof by the way.

How did you possibly find that stat?

?

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Pass Attempts in Marvins Career- 7,169

Pass Attempts in Hines Career, with a two year cushion-6,759

How does that translate to not getting open?

Im still waiting for the bashing proof by the way.

I listed Harrison bashing proof " By saying Ward was a better overall WR then Marvin even after you have listed that Marvin has more receptions yards and touchdowns... (if being a WR is not about having a lot of yards, touchdowns or receptions what is it about? Breaking jaws on cheap shots?" Did you miss that post or something?

Also I am still waiting on 1 single reason that ward deserves the HoF first. I have listed 3 for marvin, rec,yards and TD's. How about you list 1 reason for Ward?

Also, if Ward was open more he would have more pass attempts his way was my point. Apparently your reading comprehension skills are not up to par with what you expect from others.

Also if you want to get real grammatical here both hines and marvin dont have thousands of pass attempts in the N.F.L they are WR's not QB's haha:P but how can I expect you to know that when you believe Polian and Dungy are players. I think you are the only one with reading comprehension problems here (see sig for my favorite example).

I listed Harrison bashing proof " By saying Ward was a better overall WR then Marvin even after you have listed that Marvin has more receptions yards and touchdowns... (if being a WR is not about having a lot of yards, touchdowns or receptions what is it about? Breaking jaws on cheap shots?" Did you miss that post or something?

Also I am still waiting on 1 single reason that ward deserves the HoF first. I have listed 3 for marvin, rec,yards and TD's. How about you list 1 reason for Ward?

Also, if Ward was open more he would have more pass attempts his way was my point. Apparently your reading comprehension skills are not up to par with what you expect from others.

Also if you want to get real grammatical here both hines and marvin dont have thousands of pass attempts in the N.F.L they are WR's not QB's haha:P but how can I expect you to know that when you believe Polian and Dungy are players. I think you are the only one with reading comprehension problems here (see sig for my favorite example).

You're precious with your grammatical junk.

I'll continue having this conversation with Dustin. You can run along.

Pass attempts by year. Based on the years in which those WR played

Colts. 537,523,576,546,571,557,591,569,527,515,557,515,585

Steelers. 489,535,439,454,551,532,358,379,523,442,506,536,479,539

All can be found here.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

*Note, 407 less pass attempts.

That stat is irrelevant. You could easily say that the Colts passed the ball more due to having a better receiver (Harrison). the Colts passed the ball more because they had the better players in their passing game. Hines Ward wasn't even the main weapon in his own offense. The running back was...

You're precious with your grammatical junk.

I'll continue having this conversation with Dustin. You can run along.

Ward is a better run blocker, I'll give him that. But, from a pure receiver standpoint, Hines shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Even with the injury problems and early retirement (IMO) he still ranks in the Top Ten of every receiving category.

Ward is a better run blocker, I'll give him that. But, from a pure receiver standpoint, Hines shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. Even with the injury problems and early retirement (IMO) he still ranks in the Top Ten of every receiving category.

I actually agreed with this. I even said as much in this thread. As a pure WR Marvin trumps Ward, hands down. No questions asked. No arguement from me.

That stat is irrelevant. You could easily say that the Colts passed the ball more due to having a better receiver (Harrison). the Colts passed the ball more because they had the better players in their passing game. Hines Ward wasn't even the main weapon in his own offense. The running back was...

Or it could mean they had a better QB? Perhaps that may have something to do with it?

And no its not irrelevant. More Pass Attempts=More Chances...More Chances=More Results....Surely you can follow that logic....

Marvin wasnt ever the main weapon either, Peyton was (is?).

Marvin wasnt ever the main weapon either, Peyton was (is?).

In the NFL records, points scored are attributed to the player who crosses the goal line. Marvin was scoring the points, which makes Marvin the main weapon.

And more chances establishes a relationship, but it does not establish CAUSALITY. You can say the Colts passed more BECAUSE of how good Marvin was. THAT is why your stat is irrelevant.

In the NFL records, points scored are attributed to the player who crosses the goal line. Marvin was scoring the points, which makes Marvin the main weapon.

And more chances establishes a relationship, but it does not establish CAUSALITY. You can say the Colts passed more BECAUSE of how good Marvin was. THAT is why your stat is irrelevant.

Peyton was the gun, Marvin was 'a' bullet. We'll define the 'weapon' that way.

You COULD say that, but the 3 years after Marvin retired, the Colts att 601,679,534 passes, so that would be wrong.

Peyton was the gun, Marvin was 'a' bullet. We'll define the 'weapon' that way.

You COULD say that, but the 3 years after Marvin retired, the Colts att 601,679,534 passes, so that would be wrong.

haha! Philly police reported that the gun was Marvins...

I see it more as Marvin being a javelin, and Peyton throwing him. We shall start a war of analogies!

And you could say the increased passing attempts after Marvin's retirement was due to defenses focusing more against the run game. They were less worried about the pass because the Colts lost a top-five-all-time receiver (my opinion).

haha! Philly police reported that the gun was Marvins...

I see it more as Marvin being a javelin, and Peyton throwing him. We shall start a war of analogies!

And you could say the increased passing attempts after Marvin's retirement was due to defenses focusing more against the run game. They were less worried about the pass because the Colts lost a top-five-all-time receiver (my opinion).

Increased passing attempts have been happening all across the league with the pass friendly rules the last 3 years, so I do not think it is exclusive to the Colts. But when we tried to run, our results weren't top notch either to help out our offense with first downs, so Manning and the Colts were perfectly fine and capable to put more on Manning's arm :).

Hines Ward, once he got older, did benefit from the mobility of Big Ben, IMO. If it was a pocket passer like Peyton or Brady, Ward may have had to get open right off the bat instead of getting a second or two more with Ben's mobility. Marvin would have flourished as a WR, whether it was a pocket passer or a mobile QB like Big Ben. But then, Marvin would have been injured much earlier in a run friendly offense, IMO, his body was not built for that as a primary option.

Ok I think be better compare Wayne v Ward and seems this yahoo writer give Hnes a chance make the HOF.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap13Dgz6dkubZCNbeu3MlKlDubYF?slug=pfw-20120210_hall_of_fame_probability_of_active_players

That said It is very hard say who was a better WR in Ward and Harrison. Why? One was on a very pass heavy team for years, while the other was on a VERY HEAVY run first offense (and still is on that team.)