Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly will miss part of season

TKnight24

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

CBE, Lolly, & Chad read my mind. I can't articulate my frustrations any better than they did. 

I would never abandon the horseshoe or slam any guys for sustaining injuries but why does this team always struggle with health issues so much? Is it nutrition? Is it a strength & conditioning staff who can't devise proper flexibility & building muscle mass programs? What. Tell me what?! Grrr! 

It's just luck of the draw. There is no explanation.

It sucks for our team but injuries hit every team, we just don't notice as much.

12 hours ago, krunk said:

I kind of feel the same about Bond too.   Schwenke is almost healed up too.  Certainly rather have Kelly but you got to find a way to win under various scenarios anyway.

To your point: decent draft profile on Bond. He might be ok,, although we do need to keep looking 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deyshawn-bond?id=2557968

16 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Colts could start week 1 without Luck and Kelly.  That's brutal.  Regarding Pagano's comments, I certainly understand his frustration, and I can appreciate guys fighting through pain and injuries.  But at the same time, forcing someone to come back when they aren't fully healed (see: current approach with Luck) can result in their injury just getting worse.  Not only that, but do you really want someone out there at 60-80% of their capabilities when we might have someone else at 90%+ ready?  Forcing a guy to play through injuries has a lot of potentially negative consequences.

Do you really think they force players back too soon?  I think they leave the decision to the player to come back early when the player shouldn't have that decision.  

8 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Do you really think they force players back too soon?  I think they leave the decision to the player to come back early when the player shouldn't have that decision.  

One thing is the player has to be cleared by the doctors and medical staff before they can play. I think where the gray area might be is the time he is released till the time he plays could be the player pushing himself too much to get in the action. (if that makes sense) :scratch:

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

No, that wasn't my point.  My point is that while fighting through injuries is great, I think the smarter approach is to let guys be fully healthy.  I understand Pagano's frustration, but I'd rather a player rest now and be fully healthy for the regular season than encourage them to play through injury.  Playing through an injury, while admirable, is arguably selfish if there are more effective options.  For example, a 70% Moncrief is arguably less effective than a 90% Aiken.  If you force Moncrief to take reps when he's hurt, you risk the injury getting worse.  Not only that, but if he has a shoulder injury, a drill where the receivers have to high point the ball might be a waste of time for him because he can't do it effectively/how he would in a game. Those reps possibly might not mean very much if he can't do them properly, and those reps would be better suited to guys who are healthy enough to grow and develop from them and use them in a game.  So by letting a player rest when he's hurt instead of encouraging them to fight through it (especially in the preseason), you're using your practice reps more effectively, and you don't risk lingering or worsening injuries.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

No, that wasn't my point.  My point is that while fighting through injuries is great, I think the smarter approach is to let guys be fully healthy.  I understand Pagano's frustration, but I'd rather a player rest now and be fully healthy for the regular season than encourage them to play through injury.  Playing through an injury, while admirable, is arguably selfish if there are more effective options.  For example, a 70% Moncrief is arguably less effective than a 90% Aiken.  If you force Moncrief to take reps when he's hurt, you risk the injury getting worse.  Not only that, but if he has a shoulder injury, a drill where the receivers have to high point the ball might be a waste of time for him because he can't do it effectively/how he would in a game. Those reps possibly might not mean very much if he can't do them properly, and those reps would be better suited to guys who are healthy enough to grow and develop from them and use them in a game.  So by letting a player rest when he's hurt instead of encouraging them to fight through it (especially in the preseason), you're using your practice reps more effectively, and you don't risk lingering or worsening injuries.

No it's about toughing players up, getting them ready to play through minor bumps and bruises.

Baring major injury, today's players are soft. Any simple bruise or ache players run to the training room table and miss valuable practice time. As a coach it is frustrating when your trying to prepare players for the season and they never show up for practice.

Listen to Pagano, he mention Aiken and few others that have not missed practice but have some injury they are going through but still make practice. Coaches remember that when it cut down day.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I saw that coming He wasn't going to get a 2 year deal here. Maybe one of Ballards 2 yr we can cut you after 1 2 yr deals at best That's too bad 

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

No it's about toughing players up, getting them ready to play through minor bumps and bruises.

Baring major injury, today's players are soft. Any simple bruise or ache players run to the training room table and miss valuable practice time. As a coach it is frustrating when your trying to prepare players for the season and they never show up for practice.

Listen to Pagano, he mention Aiken and few others that have not missed practice but have some injury they are going through but still make practice. Coaches remember that when it cut down day.

I get that, but again, do you want to risk an injury getting worse?  If a guy has a tight hamstring, do you wanna make him run full speed and risk further damaging an already weakened muscle?  Or have him deal with a lingering hamstring issue all season?  Doesn't it make more sense to give him a few days off so he can be full speed?  Bumps and bruises I get.  It's football, it's muscled up guys running into each other at full speed, you're not going to feel right and it's not supposed to feel right.  But there are some things you need to be more careful with.

1 hour ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I think they should just let the rookie, Bond play while Schwenke comes back, and possibly beyond that if he plays well.

That would be a bad idea. There will be some good defenses to test Bond and I'm not confident he can play well, especially against those good DTs.

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

I believe Kelly never missed a game in his last 3 years at Alabama....

Kendall Langford never missed a game until he came to Indianapolis.

I believe Trent Cole was a consistent starter in his career

Ironmen come here and start to rust....:censored:

You're telling me.. when freaking Butler has open daylight after his interception of the broncos week 2, and just fell down, I knew this team was cursed beyond measure 

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Maybe Jack Mewhort would be opposed to it. Has anyone asked him? He's as likely a center as Denzelle Good.

He played some in college I think and has been taking a few snaps this offseason. IF he could do it, Mewhort and Good sounds better than Bond and Mewhort too me.

12 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Maybe Jack Mewhort would be opposed to it. Has anyone asked him? He's as likely a center as Denzelle Good.

Mewhort was an All-American Center coming out of High School.......little more likely a center than Good.