Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly will miss part of season

TKnight24

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Gore got almost half of his yardage last year on runs up the middle through holes that Kelly created. It's definitely a significant loss, it probably shouldn't be, but it is.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Gore got almost half of his yardage last year on runs up the middle through holes that Kelly created. It's definitely a significant loss, it probably shouldn't be, but it is.

I still don't think the loss of a center will stop us from coming together and winning games.  Definitely better with him but you guys are acting like we lost Andrew Luck for the year or something.    Everybodies got this failure mentality about everything.   Everytime there's an injury it's "Here we go again".  "Oh no i guess that's 7-9".    I mean we've won plenty of games before without Kelly.     We were on par with the Cowboys in terms of what the line was doing in the run game last year.  Certainly that wasn't all due to Kelly.  It was a group effort.    I think we can still win so I'll see how we address the issue.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The response on the board is hilarious considering how many people said Kelly was a bad draft pick last year.

Personally, I think Bond will hold his own until Kelly comes back.  He has Haeg and Mewhort on each side of him.

Another possibility is they move Mewhort to center and bring in Banner at RG.  They may not be too bad either.

I kind of feel the same about Bond too.   Schwenke is almost healed up too.  Certainly rather have Kelly but you got to find a way to win under various scenarios anyway.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

more like thin glass

its the dang field, been saying it for years

yep, guess that demon that we kicked out of the RCA back in 2006 when we beat the Patriots in that AFC championship game moved into the Practice facility and LOS

ME TOO!! and MSA!

Both were much better Home Advantages.

I don't know how anybody could downplay this loss.

Is there some overreaction? Sure, but to me this is one of the more important players our team could lose for what could be 4+ games. Can't overstate his importance for the run game and pressure up the middle will happen much more often.

Schwenke's been injury prone for most of his career so I wouldn't really put much stock into him getting or staying healthy either.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still don't think the loss of a center will stop us from coming together and winning games.  Definitely better with him but you guys are acting like we lost Andrew Luck for the year or something.    Everybodies got this failure mentality about everything.   Everytime there's an injury it's "Here we go again".  "Oh no i guess that's 7-9".    I mean we've won plenty of games before without Kelly.     We were on par with the Cowboys in terms of what the line was doing in the run game last year.  Certainly that wasn't all due to Kelly.  It was a group effort.    I think we can still win so I'll see how we address the issue.

I'd feel a lot better about it if we had any semblance of depth behind him. We have basically nothing except for a UDFA who's so far in his NFL career played a handful of snaps in 1 preseason game. It makes me a little uneasy.

38 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Kelly was probably the 4th worst loss we could of had on the team (we already lost Luck, and only Vontae and Hilton could be worse). He was the glue that held this O-Line together, and one of the few elite players we had IMO. I'm actually hoping Luck is out while Kelly is out, just because I worry he'll get reinjured rather quickly if we rush him back and he gets demolished.

I agree, bad loss. Our Big4 is Luck, TY, Vontae, and Kelly. I think Chuck is Frucked! I can picture Luck being out now for the 1st 2 weeks now, just a gut feeling.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

4 pages over the loss of a Center.   Albeit a very good young center but I think we can get through this.   I'm not in panick mode just yet

Have you gotten the 4 years prior to Kelly?... all we did was complain about the interior of the line.

I was already apprehensive about this season, now it looks like we are favored to lose the first 4 games at least...including against the browns.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, bad loss. Our Big4 is Luck, TY, Vontae, and Kelly. I think Chuck is Frucked! I can picture Luck being out now for the 1st 2 weeks now, just a gut feeling.

It could very well happen. I think the coaches may figure that the Rams and Browns are possibly winnable games without Luck and Kelly, and to keep them out. It might be the best thing for Luck IMO. I think we'd be lucky to go 1-1 to begin the season however. Rams defense will probably stifle us, and the Browns game we may get an ugly win 13-10 or something at the last minute. Just have to survive the first month at this point.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It could very well happen. I think we may figure that the Rams and Browns are possibly winnable games without Luck and Kelly, and to keep them out. It might be the best thing for Luck IMO. I think we'd be lucky to go 1-1 to begin the season however. Rams defense will probably stifle us, and the Browns game we may get an ugly win 13-10 or something at the last minute. Just have to survive the first month at this point.

Luckily we have Rams but without Luck, Rams may take us.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luckily we have Rams but without Luck, Rams may take us.

Without Kelly, I'm fully expecting a loss vs the Rams. At least Tolzien had protection originally, but now I don't trust the offense enough to put a dent in their defense. The Browns are the fortunate matchup, so we have to win that to stay in early most likely should both Luck and Kelly be out 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Without Kelly, I'm fully expecting a loss vs the Rams. At least Tolzien had protection originally, but now I don't trust the offense enough to put a dent in their defense. The Browns are the fortunate matchup, so we have to win that to stay in early most likely should both Luck and Kelly be out 4 weeks.

Yeah Rams have a tough Defense, they smoked us last time 38-8 with Luck.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I kind of feel the same about Bond too.   Schwenke is almost healed up too.  Certainly rather have Kelly but you got to find a way to win under various scenarios anyway.

Kelly is a big loss No one is trying to minimize the injury but he is a C. We don't need to hold Luck out that's just silly. Our last GM made finding a C on par with finding a franchise QB. It shouldn't be so difficult.  How's Shipley doing? His guys? 1We can overcome this injury. I think we are in a position we have to bring someone in.

I am not sure I'm ready for Bond.? He's a rookie and it's been one preseason game He hasn't had to deal with blitz pick up stunts etc. Schwenke I am confident can hold it down but then we are very thin at back C & G. I think Ballard needs to go outside the building. Manigold or Zuttah is who I'd bring in. It's Ballard's first road block let's see what he does. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The response on the board is hilarious considering how many people said Kelly was a bad draft pick last year.

Personally, I think Bond will hold his own until Kelly comes back.  He has Haeg and Mewhort on each side of him.

Another possibility is they move Mewhort to center and bring in Banner at RG.  They may not be too bad either.

Agree lose a big one yes, end of the world no.

NFL Scouting Combine Watch: Zach Banner

• Home /
  • NFL /
  • NFL Scouting Combine Watch: Zach Banner
By J.P. Scott, 1/31/17, 11:30 AM EST.........Banner is a physical freak, standing 6-foot-8 and weighing in at 375 pounds — give or take what he had to eat that day. And yes, despite playing offensive tackle in college, he'll enter the draft as a guard — a very large guard......Maybe Newhort at center and Banner at guard ???????????????

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Chuckisfrucked would be an awesome user name. :)

34 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Kelly is a big loss No one is trying to minimize the injury but he is a C. We don't need to hold Luck out that's just silly. Our last GM made finding a C on par with finding a franchise QB. It shouldn't be so difficult.  How's Shipley doing? His guys? 1We can overcome this injury. I think we are in a position we have to bring someone in.

I am not sure I'm ready for Bond.? He's a rookie and it's been one preseason game He hasn't had to deal with blitz pick up stunts etc. Schwenke I am confident can hold it down but then we are very thin at back C & G. I think Ballard needs to go outside the building. Manigold or Zuttah is who I'd bring in. It's Ballard's first road block let's see what he does. 

I'm not sure I'm ready for Mangold.  I think he's washed up. He didn't look very good to me the last time I saw him getting whipped by David Parry and Henry Anderson.   I can certainly understand your outlook on Bond though.  I think Schwenke will be okay if we went that route..  We'll see what they do.  I think Ballard will find somebody better than Jonathan Harrison though.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for Mangold.  I think he's washed up. He didn't look very good to me the last time I saw him getting whipped by David Parry and Henry Anderson.   I can certainly understand your outlook on Bond though.  I think Schwenke will be okay if we went that route..  We'll see what they do.  I think Ballard will find somebody better than Jonathan Harrison though.

I agree Schwenke could step in. If we go that route. That leaves us without much depth at G and C. Schwenke was our top back up at all 3 spots. I'm not a big fan of Goode especially at G. I will pay more attention to Redmond this week. PFF scored him well vs Detroit  He was on the PS last season. The play I remember was him leaving early and getting caught down field bringing the 54 yard Pope screen back.  We should be able to upgrade OL depth if necessary after cuts.  

The Colts could start week 1 without Luck and Kelly.  That's brutal.  Regarding Pagano's comments, I certainly understand his frustration, and I can appreciate guys fighting through pain and injuries.  But at the same time, forcing someone to come back when they aren't fully healed (see: current approach with Luck) can result in their injury just getting worse.  Not only that, but do you really want someone out there at 60-80% of their capabilities when we might have someone else at 90%+ ready?  Forcing a guy to play through injuries has a lot of potentially negative consequences.

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Colts could start week 1 without Luck and Kelly.  That's brutal.  Regarding Pagano's comments, I certainly understand his frustration, and I can appreciate guys fighting through pain and injuries.  But at the same time, forcing someone to come back when they aren't fully healed (see: current approach with Luck) can result in their injury just getting worse.  Not only that, but do you really want someone out there at 60-80% of their capabilities when we might have someone else at 90%+ ready?  Forcing a guy to play through injuries has a lot of potentially negative consequences.

Cant sugarcoat it that is for sure. This isn't good.

First of all we need to be thankful that Kelly will be RETURNING this season missing 3-4 games is Much better than the whole season

Secondly- Zuttah and Schwene are 2 experienced NFL linemen that know what they are doing and really aren't much of a downgrade from Kelly.

Third- Just because we lost our starting center doesn't mean were going to lose to the browns or anything crazy, yes i do realize how important Kelly is to the growth of the O-Line but we are going to get thru this just fine and before you know it he will be back

Think happy:D

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, never thought Chuck was  going to lead us to a super bowl, but dang he just can't catch a break!  If I'm Chris Ballard then lets get  hellthy  and continue to rebuild why rush anything 

4 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Everything is coming Upchuck. He already has his excuses for another bad year. As for Kelly returning in 6 weeks, the Colts always lie about injuries.

I'd strongly recommend two things....

One:    Don't worry about Chuck.    Ballard and Irsay know how to evaluate him.    If he does a great job and they want to keep him --- fine.     Their judgement should be respected.     And if they want to move on and bring in someone else --- that's fne too.

Two:   please stop with the Colts always lie about injuries.    We don't do anything that the other 31 teams don't also do.     Everyone gives out as little information as they can.    They don't turn over their cards to reveal everything until they absolutely have to.      The Colts are just like the other 31 teams.     Welcome to the NFL.

This will help you get through what is shaping up to be a very strange year....

5 hours ago, krunk said:

We were on par with the Cowboys line?

I had us 7-9 to 9-7 before this.   Ill downgrade that to 6-10 to 8-8 now.  

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could Draft a 22 year old Hulk Hogan and he would probably blow his Achilles out doing his wrestling dance because he is a Colt. lmao 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our guys are made out of paper. I hope TY doesn't play at all until the Regular Season.

10 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

What is in the water down in Indianapolis?!?! 

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is the field, it is cursed, I say :(

CBE, Lolly, & Chad read my mind. I can't articulate my frustrations any better than they did. 

I would never abandon the horseshoe or slam any guys for sustaining injuries but why does this team always struggle with health issues so much? Is it nutrition? Is it a strength & conditioning staff who can't devise proper flexibility & building muscle mass programs? What. Tell me what?! Grrr!