Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Injury Explained

21isSuperman

so basically what his surgeon is sayin is what some of us are saying.... there is no guarentee he will be ready by the start of the 2012 season. from what this doctor is sayin it could take up to 2 years which means august/september of 2013 for his nerves to regenerate. but could take as little as 7 to 9 months which means by may he could be fine but also that it could plumate on him the next week.. so he really dont know either. and said its only peyton who will know if he is healthy enough. so how can the colts take mannings word for it if there is no guarentee. to heck with it, draft luck or RG3 this isnt a chance that i believe the colts should take. i love manning wish this didnt happen to him, i want another superbowl just as much as all the other fans and the colts team wants but 28 million for something thats not a guarentee is very risky. unless i miss interpreted what he was saying.

so basically what his surgeon is sayin is what some of us are saying.... there is no guarentee he will be ready by the start of the 2012 season. from what this doctor is sayin it could take up to 2 years which means august/september of 2013 for his nerves to regenerate. but could take as little as 7 to 9 months which means by may he could be fine but also that it could plumate on him the next week.. so he really dont know either. and said its only peyton who will know if he is healthy enough. so how can the colts take mannings word for it if there is no guarentee. to heck with it, draft luck or RG3 this isnt a chance that i believe the colts should take. i love manning wish this didnt happen to him, i want another superbowl just as much as all the other fans and the colts team wants but 28 million for something thats not a guarentee is very risky. unless i miss interpreted what he was saying.

Been saying it all along. It's way too risky to keep him unless he would take way less money and a contract that is almost all incentive based. He doesn't seem willing to do that at this point. I still say he ends up retiring.

Been saying it all along. It's way too risky to keep him unless he would take way less money and a contract that is almost all incentive based. He doesn't seem willing to do that at this point. I still say he ends up retiring.

well for us fans he should retire, but if his heart is still in playing i guess he should try until he is proven he cant do it anymore. but again 2 years possibly? i dont see any team taking that chance. so now its starting to look like he may just retire if his nerves dont regenerate

Forum member nsurg, who claims to be an neurological surgeon (and sounds like he actually IS one) said almost verbatim what this doctor said over a month ago.

They both said there is "plateau" of nerve regeneration that some patients reach at around the 2 month point after surgery.... and substantial progress and full recovery beyond that is far from a sure thing.

No new information here.... but good professional confirmation of how this surgery sometimes turns out.

First of all, if Manning stays, he won't be getting 28 million. I guarantee you that will get reworked. So that isn't the issue.

Second, why wouldn't you take Manning's word? He's his biggest critic, and would NOT play if he didn't feel he could do so at his usual level.

Third, we were likely going to draft Luck/RGIII anyway, so it's not as if it's a "Manning vs. Rookie" scenario. Irsay's original plan was to have both, and that seemed like a great idea to everybody less than 3 months ago despite knowing the contract implications.

This isn't an either-or situation. It's all about Manning. If he can play, he knows it, and he will be out there. Why do you think he's been working with so many people who know him? He wants unbiased eyes watching his movement, his throwing, and his progression. On top of how he feels, he wants outside confirmation of the things others can see before he commits. I also believe this is why Jim and Peyton will take their time with this decision.

Some encouraging things from this video:

-The doctor said some people tend to plateau in their recovery and that could be a cause for concern, especially for a football player. But we have never heard Peyton or his agent or Irsay or any doc say that he has plateau'd. If anything, I believe I've heard multiple sources say he has been getting better every day.

-What the doc said at the end was great. He is not at a higher risk than other players to get injured. You hear the media try to make something out of nothing by saying "if he comes back, he will always be concerned if his next hit is his last", but that's clearly not an issue

Everytime I hear these uber-educated neurosurgeons give their take; It's just a very intelligent, very educated way of saying "dunno".

"It's quite difficult to assess at this point. Nerve regeneration is difficult to predict and there are many external and internal factors involved." Where's my MD?

"It's quite difficult to assess at this point. Nerve regeneration is difficult to predict and there are many external and internal factors involved." Where's my MD?

lol..."It's quite difficult to assess at this point (DUNNO). Nerve regeneration is difficult to predict (DUNNO) and there are many external and internal factors involved (DUNNO)."

Do we not have access to a licensed dunnologist?

First of all, if Manning stays, he won't be getting 28 million. I guarantee you that will get reworked. So that isn't the issue.

Second, why wouldn't you take Manning's word? He's his biggest critic, and would NOT play if he didn't feel he could do so at his usual level.

Third, we were likely going to draft Luck/RGIII anyway, so it's not as if it's a "Manning vs. Rookie" scenario. Irsay's original plan was to have both, and that seemed like a great idea to everybody less than 3 months ago despite knowing the contract implications.

This isn't an either-or situation. It's all about Manning. If he can play, he knows it, and he will be out there. Why do you think he's been working with so many people who know him? He wants unbiased eyes watching his movement, his throwing, and his progression. On top of how he feels, he wants outside confirmation of the things others can see before he commits. I also believe this is why Jim and Peyton will take their time with this decision.

Often the athlete is the last guy to admit when it's over. They are competitors so their minds will often tell them that they can do what they used to even when the body stops cooperating. This is why we see fading legends toiling around in their latter years in strange uniforms as mere shadows of their former glory. Not saying that Manning is done because we still don't know that yet. Just pointing out that as competitive and driven as Manning is he will always think that he can get back out there.

we did, but jim caldwell has since been fired

6 inches at a time, baby! Or rather, maybe, 6mm at a time. Speaking of nerve regeneration of course.

My only experience with nerve regeneration was taking a 1 inch router bit to the top of my forearm once. My friend was drunk, well so was I, and ....well drinking and playing with power tools don't mix. It took 5-6 years before I had any feeling in the top of my arm. Pushing down on my flesh felt very much like the sensation of being injected with novocaine. Not that any of this is pertinent.

well for us fans he should retire, but if his heart is still in playing i guess he should try until he is proven he cant do it anymore. but again 2 years possibly? i dont see any team taking that chance. so now its starting to look like he may just retire if his nerves dont regenerate

Bahhhh....don't buy it bro. Peyton will be our man in 2012. Contract details aside, he isn't leaving Indianapolis.

It's just a very intelligent, very educated way of saying "dunno".

haha, you nailed it! Though not always intelligent, but certainly wordy, no?

We should sticky this comment, ban all future speculative posts (I'm sincere, not sarcastic here) and then wait a year for more information. This is going to get much worse now that nobody has actual football games to watch for 6 months.

haha, you nailed it! Though not always intelligent, but certainly wordy, no?

We should sticky this comment, ban all future speculative posts (I'm sincere, not sarcastic here) and then wait a year for more information. This is going to get much worse now that nobody has actual football games to watch for 6 months.

For what it's worth, early on, I appreciated your invaluable input on the surgery and recovery process. I learned the most about this topic from your postings many months ago. Everything I've heard since, whether from the media or the most highly respected neurosurgeons in our nation, was just a regurgitation of what you offered to us a loooong time ago.

I'm not trying to be overtly flattering, but we're lucky to have you as an in-house resource on this matter.

6 inches at a time, baby! Or rather, maybe, 6mm at a time. Speaking of nerve regeneration of course.

My only experience with nerve regeneration was taking a 1 inch router bit to the top of my forearm once. My friend was drunk, well so was I, and ....well drinking and playing with power tools don't mix. It took 5-6 years before I had any feeling in the top of my arm. Pushing down on my flesh felt very much like the sensation of being injected with novocaine. Not that any of this is pertinent.

Bet you are glad you and your friend are not lumberjacks.....