Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LucasOilStadium

Colts Vs. Lions Preseason Game Day Thread

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Oh, absolutely. Bradford is not that bad. He is just too conservative for me. I wish he would take more chances like Luck does. Luck's INTs as much as others do; sometimes INTs are better than punts. Bradford does not show a sense of urgency when he should.

 

From where I sit, Bradford had the most accurate passing season ever, in the whole history of the NFL, and they weren't all short passes either.  He was also the best deep passing QB in the NFL last year too.  Look at where he started-

 

Eagles trade Foles to Rams to get him. (where is Foles now, BTW?).  Teddy gets hurt.  Vikings trade for sam, Carson Wentz goes from 3rd on Eagles depth chart to rookie starter.  Sam has to learn Norv turners vertical offense and language.  does really well, Turney resigns (under pressure?)  Now Shurmur and Sam have to use some hybrid Shurmur/Turner playbook to finish the season.  (Much like Chud had to do after Pep Hamilton was let go).

 

now, Shurnur had all off season to revamp the offense to his standards, implement his playbook totally, and have the starting QB run it the full pre-season, from OTA's to regular season game 1.  Shurmur has new QB and receivers coaches with him this year. They have Cook to replace the injured Peterson, and hopefully shored up the O line some.  The ingredients this year are much better than what was served up for the Vikings last year. 

 

I said this last year, and it is the same this year.  The Vikings must have a good running game.  Both to be able to have multiple ways to punch in for a score deep in the Red Zone (run or pass), and also loosen up the secondary for those long Bradford passes to flip the field to happen. If Sam gets time, and receivers run good enough routes (speed doesn't necessarily do it by itself anymore), he'll hit on some big gain plays.  Then the secondary backs off and the run it into the holes they have vacated. 

 

Sam and I'll bet now, Luck, have suffered enough injuries to sit around and take a pounding waiting for those deep plays to open up.  Sam didn't get hurt (as everyone seemed to predict he would).  Luck will do the same, when to pitch it out of bounds and live to run another play, rather than be a hero and squeeze it into a deep, tight window, as he gets severely leveled.

 

Teddy has a lot of ground to make back up, and he wasn't getting that many throws / game before his ill fated injury. 15-25 /game, where Bradford was having to chuck it up 30-40 times per game.  If Sam is ever to prove he was worth his #1 overall pick, it will be this year.  Otherwise, he may well be the next Alex Smith, with less mobility.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

From where I sit, Bradford had the most accurate passing season ever, in the whole history of the NFL, and they weren't all short passes either.  He was also the best deep passing QB in the NFL last year too.  Look at where he started-

 

Eagles trade Foles to Rams to get him. (where is Foles now, BTW?).  Teddy gets hurt.  Vikings trade for sam, Carson Wentz goes from 3rd on Eagles depth chart to rookie starter.  Sam has to learn Norv turners vertical offense and language.  does really well, Turney resigns (under pressure?)  Now Shurmur and Sam have to use some hybrid Shurmur/Turner playbook to finish the season.  (Much like Chud had to do after Pep Hamilton was let go).

 

now, Shurnur had all off season to revamp the offense to his standards, implement his playbook totally, and have the starting QB run it the full pre-season, from OTA's to regular season game 1.  Shurmur has new QB and receivers coaches with him this year. They have Cook to replace the injured Peterson, and hopefully shored up the O line some.  The ingredients this year are much better than what was served up for the Vikings last year. 

 

I said this last year, and it is the same this year.  The Vikings must have a good running game.  Both to be able to have multiple ways to punch in for a score deep in the Red Zone (run or pass), and also loosen up the secondary for those long Bradford passes to flip the field to happen. If Sam gets time, and receivers run good enough routes (speed doesn't necessarily do it by itself anymore), he'll hit on some big gain plays.  Then the secondary backs off and the run it into the holes they have vacated. 

 

Sam and I'll bet now, Luck, have suffered enough injuries to sit around and take a pounding waiting for those deep plays to open up.  Sam didn't get hurt (as everyone seemed to predict he would).  Luck will do the same, when to pitch it out of bounds and live to run another play, rather than be a hero and squeeze it into a deep, tight window, as he gets severely leveled.

 

Teddy has a lot of ground to make back up, and he wasn't getting that many throws / game before his ill fated injury. 15-25 /game, where Bradford was having to chuck it up 30-40 times per game.  If Sam is ever to prove he was worth his #1 overall pick, it will be this year.  Otherwise, he may well be the next Alex Smith, with less mobility.  ;-)

 

You like Jonathan Kinsley. Check out what he has to say about Teddy. Teddy wins games. Bradford does not. Teddy won 6 games in 12 games as a rookie, coming in for an injured Matt Cassell. He had Matt Asiata as his RB. 6 games is one fewer game than Bradford won last year. Below is a link to Kinsley's thread on Teddy. See what he says.

 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/6/21/15851256/gif-thread-of-awesome-teddy-plays

 

Everything has to go well for Bradford to win. We need someone who can overcome situations that are not ideal. Bradford came up short many times last year. It is hard to understand unless you are watching him game in and game out. Check out what Teddy does when he is in third and long.

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877603191772151808/photo/1

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877598774327033856/photo/1

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877598774327033856/photo/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farns01 said:

To quote Rob Schneider in the Waterboy "Oh no, we suck again"  haha

 

How in the world can we evaluate WR's with these QB's

 

 

 

Sanjay will figure it out.  Lal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You sound very disappointed. It will get better. Many of your starters did not play.

 

LOL.

 

Going on my 34th year so I understand how all of this works. 

 

Even by our terrible preseason standards; this game was atrocious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

where is Foles now, BTW?

 

Foles is back with the Eagles.

 

Earlier you praised Sam for his stat line: 5/7 for 35 yards. Here is what I want:  5/6 for 56 yards, 1 TD. That is from one of my favorite QBs in the NFL, Philip Rivers, in tonight's game. What a difference between the two QBs. He is older than Sam but he has so much more energy. Do you like Bradford better than Rivers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Foles is back with the Eagles.

 

Earlier you praised Sam for his stat line: 5/7 for 35 yards. Here is what I want:  5/6 for 56 yards, 1 TD. That is from one of my favorite QBs in the NFL, Philip Rivers, in tonight's game. What a difference between the two QBs. He is older than Sam but he has so much more energy. Do you like Bradford better than Rivers? 

 

I said it showed an alternative to the run game (Cook is a rookie, and O line is still suspect to me).  and it is high comp % in line with his full season stats from last year.

 

How many times did Rivers get sacked?  How many times did Vikes O line get Bradford sacked?  Just checking for potential items skewing results.  Sacks are a big drive killer... just saying..

 

I like Rivers a small notch above Bradford, mainly based upon grit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

You like Jonathan Kinsley. Check out what he has to say about Teddy. Teddy wins games. Bradford does not. Teddy won 6 games in 12 games as a rookie, coming in for an injured Matt Cassell. He had Matt Asiata as his RB. 6 games is one fewer game than Bradford won last year. Below is a link to Kinsley's thread on Teddy. See what he says.

 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/6/21/15851256/gif-thread-of-awesome-teddy-plays

 

Everything has to go well for Bradford to win. We need someone who can overcome situations that are not ideal. Bradford came up short many times last year. It is hard to understand unless you are watching him game in and game out. Check out what Teddy does when he is in third and long.

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877603191772151808/photo/1

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877598774327033856/photo/1

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/877598774327033856/photo/1

 

Well, stats alone don't show any big difference, in fact Sams season last years was the best* in all categories, except Yds/A

SEASON    GP    CMP    ATT    CMP%    YD    AVG    Yd/Gm    TD    INT    RATE

Bradford (under Shurmur, rookie year)
2010           16       354     590    60.0      3,512   5.95    219.5    18    15      76.5

Bridgewater (rookie year)
2014           13       259     402     64.4     2,919     7.3     224.5     14     12      85.2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridgewater
2015           16     292     447      65.3     3,231     7.2*     201.9     14     9     88.7

Bradford
2016           15      395    552      71.6*   3,877*    7.02    258.5*    20*    5*    99.3*

 

Now those plays, Teddy needed 3.5 - 5 seconds to throw.  He use his mobility, and Norv Turners vertical offense had downfield receivers to shake free after some time.  Turners is gone, and Shurmurs's dink n dunk offense is now the scheme for either QB. Actually, I think this fits both QB's better anyway. And the O line falling off will hurt both QB's, especially if Teddy mobility is lessened. Wasn't Bradford sacked twice in his very limited play in the pre season game?  You want Teddy scrambling around after what he's had to endure to 'get back' (he's not there yet, but should be at some point) ?

 

See this pic below?

 

160831vikingsjump.jpg?w=776

 

Teddy just may not be able, or want to, do this anymore or as often. Let's see when he returns. If so, he could also potentially be exposed to suffer another ACL, like Bradford did. Teddy is on the PUP, so he can be placed on the regular season PUP.  That gives 6-12 weeks after the season starts to activate him, and we'll see if he then gets the starting job back.  But if he isn't, here's the rules covering it:

 

"If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list."

 

What is interesting, is Bradford is in a contract season, and Vikes declined to pick up Teddy's 5th year option.  So Vikes could be without either/both for 2018!  This is where the Franchise tag could come into play, and the Vikings might just do a Kirk Cousins on Bradford in that way until Bridgewater is deemed totally ready.

 

In any event, I think play results now, this year, in this system, determines who gets snaps going forward, not old tape or stats.  Results in the present will dictate what happens.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

I said it showed an alternative to the run game (Cook is a rookie, and O line is still suspect to me).  and it is high comp % in line with his full season stats from last year.

 

How many times did Rivers get sacked?  How many times did Vikes O line get Bradford sacked?  Just checking for potential items skewing results.  Sacks are a big drive killer... just saying..

 

I like Rivers a small notch above Bradford, mainly based upon grit...

 

I think Rivers is far and away better than Bradford. He can still make something out of nothing. Bradford gets sacked because he is immobile and his pocket presense is not good. Rivers has had a bad OL throughout a large part of his career. Even this year, Forrest Lamp is already out for the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

I think Rivers is far and away better than Bradford. He can still make something out of nothing. Bradford gets sacked because he is immobile and his pocket presense is not good. Rivers has had a bad OL throughout a large part of his career. Even this year, Forrest Lamp is already out for the year. 

 

My opinion is Rivers ranks about #12, and Bradford about #15.  To each their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

"If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list."

 

What is interesting, is Bradford is in a contract season, and Vikes declined to pick up Teddy's 5th year option.  So Vikes could be without either/both for 2018!  This is where the Franchise tag could come into play, and the Vikings might just do a Kirk Cousins on Bradford in that way until Bridgewater is deemed totally ready.

 

Vikings fans have been talking about all of this since the end of last season. We did not expect the Vikes to pick up Teddy's option, especially after they were burned by picking up Sharrif Floyd's option. Floyd may never play again -- suffered nerve damage during surgery. 

 

We expect that the Vikings will allow Teddy's contract to toll, but if we keep him, many of us believe that the organization will restructure or extend him so that he could earn more than what he would be slated to receive under the tolled contract. 

 

I am surprised that they have not extended Bradford. That tells me that they are still not sure if they want to give up on Teddy who is a very popular player in the organization and in the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Vikings fans have been talking about all of this since the end of last season. We did not expect the Vikes to pick up Teddy's option, especially after they were burned by picking up Sharrif Floyd's option. Floyd may never play again -- suffered nerve damage during surgery. 

 

We expect that the Vikings will allow Teddy's contract to toll, but if we keep him, many of us believe that the organization will restructure or extend him so that he could earn more than what he would be slated to receive under the tolled contract. 

 

I am surprised that they have not extended Bradford. That tells me that they are still not sure if they want to give up on Teddy who is a very popular player in the organization and in the community.

 

If they could ink Sam for a short term, they should do it. Otherwise, it is another Kirk Cousins scenario all over... Bradford banking on himself.   It has worked before- Joe Flacco , now Kirk Cousins. I could see the Vikes possibly franchise tagging Bradford at around $24 million (or whatever it will be) if Teddy isn't all the way back by seasons end, to hedge their bets for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks, the Colts did not do too well in today's game.   Colts next game is away from Indianapolis when  the play the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas.  If the Colts have an edge.  Cowboys running back Ezekel Elliott won't play because he has to seve a six-game suspension.

 

Let's keep this game in the past as the Colts continue their training camp as the Colts coaching staff watch game video, review and evaluate their game performance and team player personnel, so they can make adjustments for the Dallas game.

 

Enjoy your week, see you here again next Saturday Night for the Colts @ Cowboys in Preseason Game 2,  Stay Colts Strong, and GO COLTS!!!!!   :)    :coltslogo:    :colts:   :coltslogo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...