Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why So Much Hate Towards Luck?

Dark Superman

I swear, since the Indianapolis Colts drafted Andrew Luck first overall in the 2012 draft, I couldn't tell you how many people I either talked to in person, watched on television or made negative comments somewhere online. Why? I don't think people outside of our fan base really understand all this guy does for this team.

He literally put the Colts on his back in his first three seasons here and managed somehow to take us to the playoffs three years in a row.

You all remember how bad that roster was when Luck came here in 2012. Without Luck, the Colts wouldn't have won 90% of those games. I can't tell you how many times Luck would bring our team home with a victory by performing some heroic drive at the end of a game.

- He's had to work under three different Offensive Coordinators in five years. (He had Pep Hamilton at Stanford, but other than Fleener and Whalen, the rest of our offense had to learn a completely different playbook.

- For the past five seasons, the Colts handed Luck an offensive line that ranked towards the bottom of the league. Andrew was constantly facing pressure, and was taking way too many hits. (Thank god he could actually run and is built like a horse, because he would probably be retired if he wasn't)

- Andrew never possessed the privilege of having a consistent running game to tire out the defense and make them respect our ground game. Every team we faced knew we couldn't run the ball, so our identity was easily exposed. Teams knew Luck would be throwing the ball 35-40 times a game and they were prepared for it.

- And of course there's our defense. What defense? Since 2012 our defense has been ranked as one of the worst in the league and it was bad enough that Luck didn't have an offensive line to play behind, and when the Colts got behind, it was nearly impossible to come back. Even if we had success on the ground early in a game, we usually were playing from behind, giving Luck no choice to abandon the run and forcing him to throw the ball.

- Behind Pagano, the Colts have become almost routine with starting off games slow and forcing Luck to play from behind.

- Our defense just can't seem to get off the field. We lacked play-makers and very rarely forced turnovers in order to give Luck and our offense some momentum. and decent field position.

- He missed 8 games in 2015 and the Colts still ended up being 8-8 (still missing the playoffs)

- He missed time yet again last season and it was apparent that he was playing injured throughout most of the season he was under center.

I'm not making excuses, but hopefully Chris Ballard can support Luck by giving a respectable defense that can actually create turnovers and force teams off the field. If our Offensive Line can give him a little more time to throw the ball and help generate a consistent running game. If the Colts are able to run the week efficiently week in and week out. Those interceptions that he's been known for won't come around as often.

I think the Colts are going places as early as the 2018 season. Chris Ballard would be entering his second season as the Colts GM and will have a ton of cap room and another draft in order to build this team his way. He could bring in a new HC. He will have a ton of cap room to either resign players, or bring in more free agents that can help this team get better. Andrew Luck will have another off-season to get healthy and that's going to be huge for us in 2018.

I apologize for the rant, but I do believe Andrew Luck doesn't receive enough credit for everything he does for the Indianapolis Colts. Hopefully soon, he can prove a lot of people wrong by bringing the city of Indianapolis another Lombardi throphy.

Please feel free to comment.

- Bill C.

Most people I see talk about Luck love him.  Especially in the media.  They do talk about how he has had lack of help here but that just makes him seem even more impressive to them.  I have seen people wonder about him this year because of the surgery but I think that's par for the course.  Overall I think Andrew is treated more fairly than even Peyton was here by the media.

The bottom line here is Andrew Luck is not Peyton Manning (or anywhere close to him). Peyton turned this franchise around in Indy and brought it up from the depths. His results weren't the best in the playoffs, but he made two SBs with us and won one while absolutely dominating in the regular season and setting tons of records along the way. With Peyton, we were always in it and most of the time we were dominating, which felt great. With Andrew Luck, the hype was he was the best QB prospect since John Elway, and that hasn't been the case at all. He was built up by the media, and as much as I hate to say it, he hasn't met expectations, and even worse, QBs drafted in similar years have also had equal or more success to this point. With Luck, we have absolutely struggled in many games we should dominate. Every game makes you pull your hair out because we should be doing much better. You can blame the defense, but the offense struggles just as much, even if they are ranked top 10. It's still a top 10 offense that struggles heavily early in games. 

Luck was always going to be compared to Manning, right or wrong. It's up to him to get out from under his shadow and create his own legacy. So far, he has failed to do so.

Andrew Luck is the 3rd best QB in the NFL behind Brady and Rodgers.  Yes, better than Big Ben who has had a top 10 defense and still struggles. Better than Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, and Russel Wilson.  He has done more with less, and that kind of reminds me of an ex colt QB...

Just now, Colt-King21 said:

I swear, since the Indianapolis Colts drafted Andrew Luck first overall in the 2012 draft, I couldn't tell you how many people I either talked to in person, watched on television or made negative comments somewhere online. Why? I don't think people outside of our fan base really understand all this guy does for this team.

He literally put the Colts on his back in his first three seasons here and managed somehow to take us to the playoffs three years in a row.

You all remember how bad that roster was when Luck came here in 2012. Without Luck, the Colts wouldn't have won 90% of those games. I can't tell you how many times Luck would bring our team home with a victory by performing some heroic drive at the end of a game.

- He's had to work under three different Offensive Coordinators in five years. (He had Pep Hamilton at Stanford, but other than Fleener and Whalen, the rest of our offense had to learn a completely different playbook.

- For the past five seasons, the Colts handed Luck an offensive line that ranked towards the bottom of the league. Andrew was constantly facing pressure, and was taking way too many hits. (Thank god he could actually run and is built like a horse, because he would probably be retired if he wasn't)

- Andrew never possessed the privilege of having a consistent running game to tire out the defense and make them respect our ground game. Every team we faced knew we couldn't run the ball, so our identity was easily exposed. Teams knew Luck would be throwing the ball 35-40 times a game and they were prepared for it.

- And of course there's our defense. What defense? Since 2012 our defense has been ranked as one of the worst in the league and it was bad enough that Luck didn't have an offensive line to play behind, and when the Colts got behind, it was nearly impossible to come back. Even if we had success on the ground early in a game, we usually were playing from behind, giving Luck no choice to abandon the run and forcing him to throw the ball.

- Behind Pagano, the Colts have become almost routine with starting off games slow and forcing Luck to play from behind.

- Our defense just can't seem to get off the field. We lacked play-makers and very rarely forced turnovers in order to give Luck and our offense some momentum. and decent field position.

- He missed 8 games in 2015 and the Colts still ended up being 8-8 (still missing the playoffs)

- He missed time yet again last season and it was apparent that he was playing injured throughout most of the season he was under center.

I'm not making excuses, but hopefully Chris Ballard can support Luck by giving a respectable defense that can actually create turnovers and force teams off the field. If our Offensive Line can give him a little more time to throw the ball and help generate a consistent running game. If the Colts are able to run the week efficiently week in and week out. Those interceptions that he's been known for won't come around as often.

I think the Colts are going places as early as the 2018 season. Chris Ballard would be entering his second season as the Colts GM and will have a ton of cap room and another draft in order to build this team his way. He could bring in a new HC. He will have a ton of cap room to either resign players, or bring in more free agents that can help this team get better. Andrew Luck will have another off-season to get healthy and that's going to be huge for us in 2018.

I apologize for the rant, but I do believe Andrew Luck doesn't receive enough credit for everything he does for the Indianapolis Colts. Hopefully soon, he can prove a lot of people wrong by bringing the city of Indianapolis another Lombardi throphy.

- Bill C.

it's irrelevant all these people care about is rings and wins. But he's coming back. they'll see they'll all see!!

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

Andrew Luck is the 3rd best QB in the NFL behind Brady and Rodgers.  Yes, better than Big Ben who has had a top 10 defense and still struggles. Better than Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, and Russel Wilson.  He has done more with less, and that kind of reminds me of an ex colt QB...

I would just put drew brees in front of Andrew still because he's still as productive as ever. but I agree with you other than that

59 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The bottom line here is Andrew Luck is not Peyton Manning (or anywhere close to him). Peyton turned this franchise around in Indy and brought it up from the depths. His results weren't the best in the playoffs, but he made two SBs with us and won one while absolutely dominating in the regular season and setting tons of records along the way. With Peyton, we were always in it and most of the time we were dominating, which felt great. With Andrew Luck, the hype was he was the best QB prospect since John Elway, and that hasn't been the case at all. He was built up by the media, and as much as I hate to say it, he hasn't met expectations, and even worse, QBs drafted in similar years have also had equal or more success to this point. With Luck, we have absolutely struggled in many games we should dominate. Every game makes you pull your hair out because we should be doing much better. You can blame the defense, but the offense struggles just as much, even if they are ranked top 10. It's still a top 10 offense that struggles heavily early in games. 

Luck was always going to be compared to Manning, right or wrong. It's up to him to get out from under his shadow and create his own legacy. So far, he has failed to do so.

And in Mannings first 5 years in the league he averaged 20 ints a season and didnt win a playoff game. Lets let Lucks career play its course before contrasting and comparing. Manning wasnt the Manning we remember until year 6 and onward.

They hate because...

Luck has been beat up since he's been in the league (injury wise). Taken big hits/missed some games in his young career.

Regardless of if you blame him for holding it to long to extend plays or blame the OL.

He has small flaws. BUT, when he's on he's fire.

I feel given a slightly better oline he will be even better. I remember an interview where Peyton said Luck has a better IQ then he had.

They hate Luck (sometimes) because they see Luck absolutely can be a different version QB that provides Peyton like results. Media is pushing, just like they did to Peyton himself. Luck will be the Brady/Manning of this generation.

Peyton wasn't Peyton in year 5.

Apologies for tldr, I'm just amped football is back.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I disagree with some of this.

Peyton came to a team that already had a pretty darn good offense. When Manning was drafted, he already had a decent OL (Tarik Glenn was already here) and he already had Harrison, Faulk, Dilger and Pollard.) We only landed Manning because Jim Harbaugh tried to punch someone and fractured his hand.

One year later and we landed Edge and Saturday.

It's too bad we put all of our money into our offense. If we had a more balanced team, Manning probably would have won multiple rings here.

4 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Just hate that he keeps getting injured. Really feel very bad for him. Really would not say hate. Just wished he could play a whole 16 games. Sadly haters will hate regardless.

He's not even injury prone...

I saw an article on Bleacher Report regarding Luck and the comments were down right nasty. Digs on his beard, calling him an overrated bust, saying the Colts tanked the season to get him, etc. A good deal of that is just fans of other teams spouting off (much the same as we do with Brady). But there are two thoughts that I have, regarding Luck:

1. He's a good  dude. He's humble and likeable. I was disappointed when Peyton left and thought no one could be as likeable as Peyton but Luck has proved me wrong.

2. If he's been hurt for two years, how good will he be, when healthy? How good will this team be with a decent Oline, run game and defense?

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with most of the things in your post. But I'm not going to pin the failures on Luck solely. Defense has been hot trash since about 8:00pm Feb 7th, 2010. That hasn't changed. The ability to run the ball has been non existent. And it seems every pass play call in Indy is to drop back 7 steps and launch down the field to a 5'9 WR.. thus many sacks of 8-10 yards and not being able to stay on the field for very long.

All that to say. Andrew Luck has still been amazing.. how many times has he made a play that just left you in awe.. like whoa that bro just threw a completion while being sacked by two guys. (You know it happens pretty much every game) His running ability and fierce competitiveness combined makes him stuff to stop if we ever make it to 3 and short and 4th and short. With more pieces around him, he will be that "Second coming QB" And I believe the Colts need to get a BIG time WR. I love Hilton soo much. But he needs to be number 2 with his size. Just watch how much more effective OBJ will be this year with Brandon Marshall opposite him. And think that's what the Colts need.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with a lot of this but to Luck's credit he has had a Good career so far, has it been Very Good or Great - NO but at times he has been Very Good or Great. A lot of his failures have been due to his Offensive Line just being Mediocre to Bad every season and the last couple of seasons our defense was Terrible. There is no way that Russell Wilson would have a Ring had he been QB on any of the rosters we have had with Luck, JMO. I still say patience and will give Luck 2 or 3 more years to see if he can be consistently Great. Remember it took Peyton 9 seasons to win a SB and look at how Great he was. Luck already has 3 Playoff wins and a season where he threw for 40 TD's, it took Peyton 6 seasons before he won 1 Playoff game and that is also more Playoff wins than Tony Romo had in his whole career and Romo was solid Good.

They hate him cause they are all mad that he's not on their team. lol Luck is literally the 4th best QB in the league and that's without help! He had amazing stats last season he just wasn't on a winning team so no one cares. The stuff he has done with the teams he has had is a miracle and is very impressive. I have no complaints about Luck. The only reason the guy is getting hurt is cause he has had a trash line blocking for him and no running game so he has to try and do everything himself to get us wins.

The hate comes from ignorant RG3 fans who over hyped a loser & it comes from Peyton Manning LOVERS who's memory somehow forget 18's early years were not all that GREAT compared to 12's . Luck has done more with less . Manning had a running game Faulk then James a decent o-line & a defense that had a few pretty good players , None of which Andrew Luck has had - O-line has almost got him killed the running game is a work in progress & the DEFENSE is worse as of last season then it ever was in the last decade . 

Yet some Manning Lovers fail to give credit when its due I say to you take off the ROSE COLORED GLASSES . Peyton Manning was really good & when the Colts Organization give 12 the weapons he will out perform Peyton Manning & the stupid posts about Andrew Luck will cease for the most part although I accept some people  just love to hate & to them I say your opinion is duly noted & easily forgotten . IMO you represent the many who jumped ship & became Bronco Fans mad because the Colts had to make a tough business decision . 

I started out a huge 18 fan as a Colt he was the greatest & I see the same in 12, I do believe  by the time he retires he will easily equal the Manning years & IMO surpass them as a Colt  . 

I have never heard or read anyone slam Luck. Yes, there have been observations about holding the ball too long for one but 100% of all writers and broadcasters I know of praise him for his ability, work ethic, attitude, his overall play, his team spirit and certainly his enormous talent. All players do some things wrong and of course in football the magnifying glass is always on the QB and so they have all been criticized. We are damn lucky to have him, just look around the league.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No he's not Peyton and no one expected him to be Peyton. We expected him to be Andrew luck. Luck doesn't need to be in Peyton's shadow because he's already proven how great he is with little to no support. Everyone wants to talk about how great dak's rookie season was. Dak had an oline, a running game, and a decent defense. Luck has never had any of that and yet he's already won 3 playoff games and beaten Peyton twice. Is he perfect? Of course not and he'll be the first to admit that, but luck has more then proven to be everything everyone expected him to be.

Many of Lucky's memorable comebacks came because of his great ability to escape pressure and from some big time timely runs.. And some very weak competition.

Lucky is going to face much more competition division-ally, and his running isn`t likely to be such a difference maker.

Let's look forward to watching Lucky grow his pocket game while enjoying his having more help on both sides of the ball.

IMO it is true, you really can`t know what a guy is worth unless you watch them play every week over time.

And we know we have a winner. So why be bothered with others bla bla bla?

I believe our roster has turned a corner, but there is always a cost playing so many new players together.
 No matter, Chuck does get his players to compete. Go Colts!

The team has been a wreck the last 2 years. It's been such a wreck that it's overshadowed the gossip about Pagano getting fired for not beating the Pats. Remember how that was really a thing until 2 8-8 seasons happened? In a bizarre turn of events, the 2 bad seasons saved Pag in a roundabout way.

Anyway Luck has gotten to much blame for it all like every quarterback. That's typical, but what bothers me is the considerable amount of crap he caught even before then because he's not some boring game manager. Everybody was in love with that bunch all year then they went 1 and done, then it all reset next year. Thank goodness Aaron Rodgers kind of morphed in 2015 and eliminated some of that. Luck would have been in on it 2 if the team wasn't disaster and his internal orgams could stay intact.

any colts article on espn or nfl.com has a bunch of comments by haters still salty over deflate gate

luck could save children from a burning school bus and people would still show up to make troll comments

On 7/29/2017 at 10:20 PM, Colt-King21 said:

- Bill C.

First let me say I didn't read your whole rant.  

But basically Luck's problem is expectations.  The media hype on him when he was drafted was sky high.  It was so high that basically unless Luck threw every pass for a 90 yard touchdown and won every game he was never going to be able to live up to those expectations.  

13 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

The team has been a wreck the last 2 years.

8-8 is not terrible, and luck was actually pretty good last year

john elway and the broncos had seasons where they went 5-11, 7-9 and 8-8

people just like to hate and talk trash, especially after deflategate

Most of the hate I see is directed towards Jim Irsay. Pretty much every Colts related article has a handful of comments about how the Colts is owned by a dumb drugged up pill poppin' old man. I do see some hate towards Andrew Luck though. Which I don't understand at all...

I can't think of a single article I've read that seemed anything like a hack job on Luck... I don't know, he seems pretty universally respected to me. If you look at comments made on NFL and ESPN.com stories I can't help you, but... don't do that. It's worthless and you'll only see the absolute worst of the worst there when it comes to things people will say. As far as the media goes though, I think people understand how bad the Colts' O-line has been, and how bad their defense has been. I honestly haven't seen the type of hate that you guys are talking about. 

To me, Luck seems like a very likable player and a good competitor. Like a lot of young QBs he's made some mistakes here and there but by and large I can't think of a QB under the age of 30 I'd rather have for the future of my team. 

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

8-8 is not terrible, and luck was actually pretty good last year

john elway and the broncos had seasons where they went 5-11, 7-9 and 8-8

people just like to hate and talk trash, especially after deflategate

One thing I have noticed is the media who has had a problem with the Colts that actually started before "deflategate' was Irsay.  It was obvious that Michael Wilbon of ESPN has had a personal problem with Irsay. The issue with air pressure of footballs just threw gas on their personal bon fire.

I have even seen an article where the media person said Luck should have demanded a trade before he signed his contract extension because the Colts were basically a joke.

No matter what the opinion of a few media hounds who are looking to draw attention to themselves say it is nonsense.

Any one who has any knowledge of Luck knows he is a great QB, a great guy and IMO likes where he is at.

43 minutes ago, GoPats said:

If you look at comments made on NFL and ESPN.com stories I can't help you, but... don't do that.

it sounds easy, but the comment sections were the only reason i even went to those sites

i actually had fun posting there before deflate gate.  now there is a very high percentage of trolls on any article that mentions the colts

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

You know as well as I do that 8-8 has to be taken in context. This wasn't a 3rd place team going 8-8 in a good division. This was the Colts blowing it, and alot that came from the same well enough attitude.

give the texans credit, they had the leagues #1 defense.  they beat us twice, they deserved to win

the colts are not close to number one in anything, offense or defense